Pablo's Review of Cannibal Holocaust

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pablo G

HockeyHorror
big grin

!zzy
Dr Butcher MD ^^

DeNiro
Wow now thats a run threw of a movie good job pab. thumb up I still havent seen it and i am still looking for it i dont want to buy it though off the net i hate doing that

SlipknoT
deep dicount dvd might have it, free shipping

BackFire
Well Pablo, it's a hardcore exploitation horror film, story, characters, and acting all take backseat to extreme gore, and this movie succeeds greatly in this department.

It's not a film for everyone (duh, it's banned in several countries), but it does what it tries to do brilliantly.

Pablo, you may be interested in finding a movie entitled "Irreversible". It's got some amazing gore and disgusting scenes, and it has a top notch story and amazing acting. You may like it.

Pablo G
Yeah man it's not the first time someone mentions that movie to me, I'll get my hands on it as soon as I can.

samhain
We had Irreversible on where I work and grown men and women were walking out crying and baulking after about 15 mins.
Seriously!!!

Pablo G
Monica Bellucci gets anally raped in this one right ?

samhain
That's right. In a nine minute scene she gets raped for 1 half and beaten for the second half. So I'm led to believe, haven't got the courage to watch it yet. Those crying men disturbed me too much.

BackFire
Yeah, it's pretty hard not to shed a tear or two in that scene, it's the most realistic rape scene I've ever seen. It's disgusting beyond recognition.

Cinemaddiction
..and you guys coherently watch it because..?

BackFire
It's a very well done and interesting movie, despite how devestating it is.

Cinemaddiction
You mean a well done rape in a movie? Any movie that contains rape for entertainment is wrong. Perhaps they'd feel differently if they knew someone extremely close to them who endured such a thing. Twice, mind you.

BackFire
Yes, it shows rape as a blunt tragedy, not an exciting act, as it usually is portrayed.

Cinemaddiction
I'm trying to understand what the point of a movie like this would be? Is it not just commercialized (some what) snuff? What's the appeal if seeing innocent people suffer?

It's kind of disturbing to know people enjoy watching it.

Pablo G
I think it is done to portray what is wrong about our society

Mordecai
The film tells a story of revenge, it doesn't glorify the violence, it shows it in its brutality and the way the movie runs (it runs backwards), it shows the acts without showing what first pushed them to happen, therefore it shows revenge in its most purest form, no one wins.

You really have to see it to understand.

The film isn't exactly there for the entertainment, it tells a story... and has a message.

BackFire
I see your point, and I don't think people really "enjoy" watching the film. In fact, it disgusts and disturbs everyone I know who has seen it. But, the reason people watch it is for the surprisingly large scope of the film.

I think you have misunderstood the film, you seem to think it's a gorefest and nothing more, when there is actually just 2 violent scenes (one brutal murder that lasts about 2 minutes, and the now infamous rape scene that lasts about 11). The rest of the flim is about the people involved, it tells a story about fate, destiny, and shows with unrelentless honesty how horrible and beautiful the world can be at different moments.

It's the same reason people watch movies like Requiem for a Dream, or any other heavy drama in which the characters suffer. It cleanses us it seems, and it makes the viewer think long and hard about life adn the world around us.

I wrote a full review of this film in the movie review section, that describes many aspects of this great film, I suggest you read it to fully understand the point and meaning of the film. Or just watch it for yourself.

here's the link to the thread in which I reviewed the film.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5599&highlight=Irreversible

Pablo G
BF u da man !

DeNiro
I wish I could find both of those movies Backfire names all these intensly distruebing good movies that i never can find

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.