Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
This new game, supposedly a prequel from what was told, tells the story of Vincent, one of the optional characters from Final Fantasy VII. Only these screens have been released so far, perhaps more information will become available once the Advent Children movie comes out. All info and anticipation, post below big grin

Attached are the few images from the game, along with some images of Bahamut from FFVII: Advent Children. You can also get a much higher quality scan here.

Robo-Chocobo
weird...in a cool way...
why cant they do some cool stuff for FF6..or 9...its all about 7...

§pearhead
If I could read Japanese, I'd be very pleased smile

JKozzy
There's not too much left in IX to expand on... and they sorta killed off X with X-2, unless they made some sort of prequel to that. VIII also ended pretty much with closure enough for no more expansion. VII was pretty open-ended, since you don't find out what actually happens. Sure, you get a "200 years later" view, but... hey, that's 200 years later, none of the characters, minus Red XIII was going to live that long, Meteor or no Meteor. Some sort of sequel to VI would be nice, but it might be too old for Square Enix to do anything to, realistically.

BakaXero
well its not an rpg
i heard the setup for the game was similar format to of Devil may cry.
apparently Reeve(the guy that controls Cait Sith) is in it. and midgar is in ruins

JKozzy
It looked like it resembles DMC, but I didn't hear specifically the game setup (RPG or not) resembles it.

An article from IGN:

As we reported in July Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children won't be alone in Square Enix's attempt at taking gamers back to the world of the biggest Final Fantasy of them all, Final Fantasy VII. The latest issue of Japan's Jump Magazine contains first information on an action game starring FFVII vampire character Vincent Valentine. The game, Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus.

In Dirge of Cerberus, players take control of Vincent, a former member of the Turks. The game takes place a year following Advent Children, which means it follows the events of the PlayStation Final Fantasy VII. The story begins as a mysterious group called "DG" suddenly begins attack of a peaceful town, leaving only one choice for Vincent -- to fight back!

Aside from these few bits, Square Enix has revealed nothing on Dirge of Cerberus. The few screens shown of the game all appear to be from cinema sequences, with one screen showing a line of dialogue where Vincent states "The meeting place with Reeve is..." Looking strictly at the game's artwork, one may think Square Enix has taken some influence from Capcom's Devil May Cry; Dirge of Cerberus should appropriately be a vampire game, making this a reasonable choice.

A Japanese release for Dirge of Cerberus is set for 2005. It's possible that this game will make it into Square Enix's Tokyo Game Show press conference, scheduled for 9/24. We'll be back with more at that time.

SaTsuJiN
LMAO sick :vomits profusely: sick sorry... that happens when I see a game series getting abused...

Deity
its not getting aboused, i think its great, ff7 was the best, and its good giving more to the story, i wonder if any old characters will appear to help out vinni

TrAnCeDuO
i think its stupid...
1st of all i think ff7 has to be the worst ff out there next to ff5....
2nd i kinda hate vincent...i mean yeah he started the whole stupid "devil may cry" look but overall hes just nothing but appearance...hell look at sephy! all these fans go ape sh*t over him just because he has silver hair and stupid ass masamune...
3rd why the hell vincent?! why not somebody more entertaining like yuffie? making a game about her training or her past would blow this one away!

dont get me wrong...ff7:AC is a pretty good idea but they shouldve stopped with that and returned to their roots...and do a better job than ff IX!

JKozzy
New scan #1:
http://media.adventchildren.net/scans/vj0918-01.jpg

JKozzy
New scan #2:
http://media.adventchildren.net/scans/vj0918-03.jpg

JRatT12
This could be cool i like Vincent he was so important to the hole story of ff7. but i dont like the idea of it not being an RPG i love RPG's and if im going to see any of the characters from one of my favorite RPGs i want it to be an RPG.

for those of you that no the ff7 story line as well as i do dont you think it would be way cool if they made a prequel to 7? And we play as the turks and see all the crazy stuff they did before 7??? (like maybe during the war with yuffes village and see them help find places for the reactors and stuff like that) WE dont no what really no what they where up to but i love them and would like to have playd as them

Silver Stardust
I can read Japanese big grin

§pearhead
oh...so can you read what that's saying? stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
I can read it. Understanding it/translating it to English would take a bit more work on my part stick out tongue Which I'm too tired to do now.

JKozzy
DO IT NOW!!!!!

SaTsuJiN
hmm... if you took the text and blew it up for me I could take it over to bablefish... cuz I cant read the kanji's but I would need the furigana to translate them ( which also requires intact kanji for exact meaning)

for example.. the upper left black text in scan #2 ... : Tsuini yatsu ga me o samasu translates into "The person wakes up finally" but I wouldnt find out the meanings without the intact kanji.. cuz there are lots of different kanji for 'me' and the 'sa' in samasu

Agent Elrond
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/finalfantasyviiadventchildren/news_6107494.html

Some additional news. Vincent was a cool character. He was very mysterious and would be nice to see more about his past/future

TrAnCeDuO
meh...i always saw him as a cross between squall and kimhari(sp?)...also you gotta give him credit for all the red trenchcoat wierdoes you see these days...

Agent Elrond
Vincent seems like Auron, both very mysterious and look alike

JKozzy
Vincent was a pretty dark character, it'd be interesting to see what they have to offer this time around. Hey, it's one year after Advent Children, we have insurance that the world doesn't end stick out tongue

Lord Ryugen
To tell the truth I'm kind of worried. Square has never really had a good track record with non RPG's to my knowledge

Agent Elrond
yeah, we all know how popular Choco Racing was. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Surgent
Well, there has been no real evidence that it will be a non-RPG, so don't assume the worst. The only thing that has been said, is that the screenshots have a look similar to Devil May Cry. There is no indication about what type of game this will be.

JKozzy
Thank you for pointing out the obvious, hopefully some other people will think like that too smile

SaTsuJiN
the new title will be changed to Vincent May Cry : Life after Dante

BakaXero
well we all know the world didnt end otherwise that red 13 ending wouldnt make one bit of sense...

JKozzy
Yes, but did you see any humans at the end? All we saw was Red XIII's race, no other beings. Oh yeah, there were birds, too stick out tongue, but there weren't any signs of human life in the '200 years later' segment.

JKozzy
...I doubt it messed The information going about says that Vincent looks like he's from DMC... not that the game is like DMC...

Deity
here is a new pic of vinny, (well its not new, just more clearer)
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/549/549966/final-fantasy-vii-dirge-of-cerberus-20040921033844817.jpg

ChickinMeat
could be interesting to see how it turns out, wondered when they would go back to the ff7 universe

Lord Ryugen
I really hope they do this well. Cause if the FF VII universe gets screwed up heads are gonna role

JKozzy
Many heads...

stick out tongue

ssj4goku
hey man i just got through checking out the site i cant wait to see the movie all though i do have a therory of Zack in the yellow truck they were in an enclosed truck so he might be a charecter in the movie if so i cant wait to see him and cloud get into it

Lord Ryugen
Intresting I can't get on the site since my college restricted it but that does sound intresting

JKozzy
ftp://ftp.gamemeca.com/download/movie/ff7kelong.zip

Thanks to the TGS, we are now treated to a trailer of the game big grin

TrAnCeDuO
can i trust it?

JKozzy
How so? confused

Another mirror: http://www.rpgfiles.net/squarenet/files/videos/ff7dc/ff7dc-trailer_tgs04.zip

LEFT CLICK!

TrAnCeDuO
as in...ya know...VIRUSES!?

JKozzy
It's a WMV file... never associated any virus risk with that messed

Completely safe as far as I'm concerned.

TrAnCeDuO
alrighty then...but if you lie im gonna beat upside the head with a spatula!

JKozzy
Ok, but I'm not lying stick out tongue

It was posted on www.adventchildren.net even, in the forums and front page there.

TrAnCeDuO
awesome...ill have to spread it to other forums... shifty

star_scar_child
its because ff7 was squere's highest rating game in the series so squere had a light bulb go off in there head (more like a sun) that they should tell a story of what happend after ff7 which led to the compilation of ff7 which is going to be a series of movies and games that since theres alot of ff7 fans, they know that its going to be a hit.

but if they dont put before crisis on psp then im gonna be pretty mad

star_scar_child
it looks like in one scene that vincent is in 'kalm' doesnt it? couse theres coblestones everywhere in that picture just like in kalm

star_scar_child
personnaly i think its a great idea....i mean theres so much mystery as to vincents chracter. if its a prequel we might find out who and how he got put in the koffin

star_scar_child
i thought i saw sephiroth and cloud in one picture

TrAnCeDuO
i saw cait sith the kitty...aww how cute!

SaTsuJiN
more like cuz they knew people would buy any crap that they put the square-enix logo on.

and no its not a prequel cuz they stated that this takes place 1 year after advent children, so you wont see vincent being nailed in any coffins. Im pretty sure he said the Turks put him in there.. and Im betting he deals with them swiftly in advent children *crosses fingers*. His story is kinda mysterious, but its no reason to go spinning off an entire game on just him.. there are many other , more deserving final fantasy characters that arent getting thier own game.

TrAnCeDuO
aint that the truth? miffed

star_scar_child
well cait sith cant get there own game...on the account steng was in control of them...i think there should be a whole game on reno or sephiroth !!!!!!

bladeofdarkness
due this game looks cool

Lord Ryugen
That'd rock! But seeing as it took them this long to create one sequel on Vinnie, I'm not holding much hope

TrAnCeDuO
*bump*

JKozzy
Cait Sith looks to be in DOC...
http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/doc/img2/ss11.jpg

TrAnCeDuO
awww! how cute! i wonder if hes strong without his moogle?

JKozzy
Probably, doesn't that cat look like he can kick ass? stick out tongue

Silver Stardust
Cait Sith, awesome...

SaTsuJiN
they'll probably make up some bs where he turns aeris' corpse into his new moogle doll or whatever.. you know square..

TrAnCeDuO
i sure as hell hope your overexaggerating.messed

Lord Ryugen
That'd be sick...really sick sick

Shivawolfe
Why are so many people knocking this game before they know anything about it? It could be awsome whether it is or isn't an RPG. The fact that Vincent is the main character is surprising to say the least concidering he's an optional character in the orginal game, but he isn't a bad choice.
He's important to the story line and he's totally cool!!! He has a more interesting story then many of the other characters and he's unique. By the way...he came out before Dante (another badass) so really he's copying Vincent.

JKozzy
I totally agree, Shivawolfe. FFS people, you can't judge it very well on a few screenies and a crappy quality trailer... give it a chance. I haven't been dissapointed thus far really of anything that Squenix has done.

SaTsuJiN
people are calling it devil may cry cuz of the gameplay... character design doesnt mean anything. Noones saying vincent is ripping off dante at all.. but he's running around with guns shooting mobs in a DMC styled engine. Thats all..

Phoenix Aska
It doesn't really matter, Vincent was badass....

SaTsuJiN
Im not exactly sure what that has to do with the price of tea in china.. but uhkay...
Im just wondering what way they plan to make it different from DMC...

JKozzy
It's being released tomorrow. Anyone excited? I'm pretty glad about the changes that were made to the American version, really got rid of a few major bugs. We'll see how the rest of the reviewers think of it soon.

JToTheP
I want you all to tell me how it is. I just paid my college tuition, and have to get my books in the first week of September, I'm basically broke so I can't afford it. I have to keep $50 for Disgaea 2 considering I pre-ordered it though.

IceJaw
Disgaea 2 ?!?! When's the release?! I need that game!

JToTheP
EBgames kid said 29th-30th.

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by JKozzy
I totally agree, Shivawolfe. FFS people, you can't judge it very well on a few screenies and a crappy quality trailer... give it a chance. I haven't been dissapointed thus far really of anything that Squenix has done.

*cough* Radiata Stories *cough*

i'm definately going to try Dirge of Cerberus, not sure about buying though... it might end up being a crap game, but hey, it's Vincent!

JKozzy
Radiata Stories wasn't out when I said that.

Kayne Archeron
*phew* thank gawd for error of time

InnerRise
I actually liked Radiata Stories.

is it comprehensible.....

Lana
I'm not sure if I'm actually going to bother getting/playing this...I'm not a fan of shooters, so yeah.

InnerRise
Supposedly the levels are repetitive and you just run around and shoot everything and the stages are linear.

The Cinematics are as good as usual. But that's not what makes a game so I won't be getting this, no matter how desperate I am for a good game to come out this summer.

JKozzy
The combat controls are much improved over the Japanese version (I know firsthand). The enemies do get a bit repeditive, but the weapon customization is very interesting and good, and the plot is why I, like others, got the game. From an FF fan's perspective, so far so good.

scarecrow088
i can't wait to get my hands on this game, and i like how square enix changed it up a bit with the shooter game play

InnerRise
The combat controls are much improved over the Japanese version (I know firsthand). The enemies do get a bit repeditive, but the weapon customization is very interesting and good, and the plot is why I, like others, got the game. From an FF fan's perspective, so far so good. Yeah. I can see how people would still love the game for the Storyline. I guess b/c I never got into that part of Final Fantasy, I'm not as likely to get it.

Kayne Archeron
The combat controls are much improved over the Japanese version (I know firsthand). The enemies do get a bit repeditive, but the weapon customization is very interesting and good, and the plot is why I, like others, got the game. From an FF fan's perspective, so far so good.

i love vincent's backstory, that's why i can't wait to play it and find out more

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.