Anakin's Arm...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Forgive me, I've looked and looked, and I can't find the answer to my question. I'm probably going to sound noobish, but I just watch AOTC and was wondering, how exactly functional was Anakin's golden arm at the end of AOTC? He could hold Padme's hand, but could he wield a lightsaber with it? I also haven't watched the Clone Wars microseries. Part two of my question; did his arm get replaced, or "re-skinned" in the cartoon? Or what plans are there of that? Thanks for any info, and for putting up with me happy

PVS
its always puzzled me how anakin's arm is so clumsy looking, and luke's hand it so intricate and even has nerves. i though the galaxy was supposed to fall to shit and all new technology would cease....so why does luke have a way better hand?

also, dont trust what you see in Clone Wars, none of it is canon.

dickman136
i think you answered your own question there pvs.

JKozzy
But I didn't see Clone Wars, what happened armwise in that?

darktim1
he can because in the cartoon he took it in his golden arm and killed assaj ventress with her own lightsaber I hope he hits dooku with it in episode3 for now may force be with you.

PVS
no i didnt, im referring to canon, not clone wars. luke's hand in the OT is far superior to anakins. however, since the rise of the empire, new technology was supposed to have halted....and thus the beat up junky ships and whatnot. thus luke's hand should not have been more advanced than anakin's

JKozzy
Perhaps it was a temporary solution? Replacing limbs wouldn't exactly be easy, no matter what age you're in. And at the end of ESB, it seemed that it was a bit farther along than just leaving Cloud City, moreso it seemed as if possibly a week passed, they had to plan all that out with Lando and such, so maybe with the war, they haven't had time to give Anakin a nice looking arm.

Anakin2Vader
You will once again see the golden arm in Ep 3, and you will see him with the glove over it so to answer your question the arm is fully functioning Lukes is only better in the fact that they made it look real by that time.

csm
I always felt that from what I saw of Anakins arm in AOTC it was highly advanced, at least it looked like it to me.

And again the tech is supposed to somehow mystically revert between ROTS and ANH.

But Anakin can definately kick some ass with his robo hand.

Out...............................................

mephistodesigns
this has always bothered me, why the hell does everyone since ROTJ put a glove over their mechanical hand? Luke only went Michael Jackson with his fashion AFTER part of the skin was blasted off by a skiff guard's shot. Luke puts the glove on to cover the open skin. Now everytime somebody looses an arm, or Luke is dipicted in comics of video games, they sport a glove. Luke was fine with the hand out in the open until the damage happened. Now I gotta deal with Anakin wearing one, I suppose his is to cover an OBVIOUS prosthetic, but the trend still bothers me since it came from an apparent misunderstanding. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just too into details? I guess I just like a tiny bit more attention to detail than most.

amity75
When I saw AOTC I thought "Bummer, your wedding night with Padme and you've only got one hand with nerve endings."

zutalurs
I think it's more of an artistic choice than a realism choice.
The loved hand shows that there is something to hide. It also ties any character with a prosthetic back to Vader and alludes to the whole man vs. machine struggle that is prevailant in the OT.
When the NT rolled out, it just looks "bad-ass" so they kept it. At least that's my opinion as to why in the NT.
Also, I think the difference between NT and OT hands is that in the NT, hence older times, being not all human wasn't so bad. In the OT, post Empire, being less than human is a reason to be shunned. Luke opts for the realistic hand out of habbit. "Must not convey weakness or less than human nature." Again, just my opinion.

Jedi Priestess
hysterical hysterical hysterical

unknown hero
I think the hand situation can be twinned to the vehicles situation in the prequels.

I mean look at the Naboo Cruiser's, big bright silver darts (not unlike the ufo in Flight of the Navigator?) with no obvious sings of technology on the outside of it. No obvious circuit boards etc.

Then compare it to its original trilogy counterpart, the Falcon. It has it insides on the outside (we even see Chewie and Han working on stuff on the outside).

I've noticed that Sci-fi and 'futuristic' things in general have gone for a more sleek look of late. You don't see so much of the 'stick some circuit boards on it' attitude that you used to in Sci-fi film.

Thats my take on the hand as well. It looks sleek and shiny. Unlike luke's which, although looking real, does have nasty looking metal and things on the inside.

Anyway, thats what it struck me as when I first saw it.

WarSpawn
not exactly. look at the Death Star and other superweapons after that. And Super Star Destroyers. technology is still being refined during the Empire's reign.

and Anakin's arm is fully functional like a normal human hand.

PVS
but luke's is basically a hand, it has nerves, and....well its a hand!

and by technology ceasing i mean with the exception of dooms day weopons.

the whole point of the gritty dirty feel of the OT was to illustrate how everything has gone to s***. luke's hand illustrates advancement in proshetic limbs, which the empire would consider useless, since the only user of such (in the empire) was vader. as far as stormtroopers, just toss them away and clone more right?

queeq
Dirty gritty feel to show it has all gone sh**t??? No way! The reason that was done is to add reality to it. Like in a documentary style. When tehre's rust on stuff and it's dirty, it makes it realistic, like it's been used. Not that everything is white and metal in pristine condition. GL created a world that looked real. It had no point of showing how the universe collapsed. It was a choice of realism.

PVS
then why is everything so polished and pristine in the OT?

queeq
In the OT?

PVS
sorry, typo

PT

queeq
I think Gl wants to show a difference. PLUS in the PT it's new, in the OT it's getting old. Personally I didn't quite get that though. I didn't get the perfect pristine look. GL sometimes makes these silly remarks about documentary style in the PT (e.g. by placing JarJar a tad out of frame when they leave Coruscant) which I understand in the OT, but definately not in the PT. There's very little docu flavour. Esepcially in the pristine look.
I prefer the look of the OT myself, the sense of realism is great. That sure beat all sci-fi of the time. And even of this time.

captainmidnight
not everything in the pt is pristine,that ship that takes qui-gon and obi-wan to the trade fed is OT style,the ship that took padme and anakin to naboo was OT,were cloud city had the pristine look,along with the B-wings,i thought they looked pretty pristine......

mephistodesigns
it's not so much that everything is to look "pristine". Quite the opposite, in the features on the Ep 1 and I think on the ep 2 dvd as well, the art dept. talks about things are supposed to look hand made and artistic. Things are supposed to look like they were made with design aesthetics in mind, rather than functionality--as in the OT, where everything is made in the heat of war. Everything just needs to meet certain qualifications of use rather than being visually appealing. Lucas has pointed this out as well. When he's speaking in generality, he says that the look of the PT is "high technology" but he's not clarifying what that means. The tech is so much more visually appealing. LIke the royal naboo cruiser is far more visually appealing than the falcon or an x-wing, but which ship would you rather take into battle? that's the design difference. I believe the people in the war time would be more interested in medical tech, since the galaxy as a whole became much more hostile. Bounty Hunters became more prevalent and violent. The criminal element became useful to the emperor, like the Hutts and other gangsters who actually profited from the war, either on the side of the Empire, or from dealings against the Empire, like helping smuggle for the rebellion. Now most of that is done by non-clones, non-clones care about lost limbs, and looking the way they did before their injury. That's why I think that change was made. But yeah, I think the PT is supposed to look less industrial. the Empire is all about mechanics, efficiency. The galaxy changes with Anakin to a more industrial mode, where design is sacrificed for functionality. That's the major difference that George simplifies to "the PT has better looking technology".

mephistodesigns
and again, that comes from the Sith vs Jedi force use theme. The Sith control the force which is unnatural, the Jedi live in harmony with the natural flow of things. Just as the Empire tries to control everything which changes the natural flow of things, because the Empire is led by a Sith. The design reflects this negative change.

Cipher
Indeed, the Sith want to control life which is unnatural.....

mephistodesigns
if that was sarcasm, I was using Lucas' words from the AOTC dvd commentary. They want to control the FORCE, like I wrote, as opposed to LIFE which you wrote, instead of living in harmony with the Force like the jedi. The Force is supposed to be like chi in asian cultures, a life force that is the natural flow of the universe. The Sith want to control the force, abusing its power and making it do things it isn't really meant to do, i.e. for aggression and the hostile take over of the galaxy. Yes, not allowing others to think and act on their own free will is unnatural.

mephistodesigns
if that was not sarcasm, then take my post to be further clarification and nothing more.

Red Superfly
I got the impression the golden hand was a "make-do" hand when I first saw it.

I also got the impression Anakin made the arm himself (don't ask me how) and that's why it looked so primitive. It reminded me of C3PO, and even though 3PO has different looking arms, it's still gold. Who else has gold limbs? The fact that Anakin built 3PO made this connection (in my mind) stronger, so I kept on thinking Anakin built the arm himself, as a makeshift arm until the republic tax payers money built him a "luke-style" hand.

Then I saw the Clone Wars cartoon - and all that went to sh*t because I heard the Clone Wars cartoon is in fact CANON!

Could someone please clear this up - I'm sure Lucas said it was going to be a real part of the story.

captainmidnight
dude that is a cool idea...anakins hand gold-c3po gold,i think that is totally an awesome possibility,and since the republic has not seen a war since the formation of the republic,they wouldnt know how to fix limbs and stuff becouse there would be no need to since there is no war,and at the end of AOTC c3po was all gold the exact same color of anakins hand,so i see what you are saying anakin used the exact same metal to make his hand that he did to cover c3po's "parts",like i said very cool idea.......

queeq
Uggghh.... cool idea... You gotta be kidding me.

Gangularis
hehehehehe

queeq
Looks like I'm not the only one.

mephistodesigns
yeah c'mon, like he had time to sit and whip one up? I mean, sure he can just lift things with the force and build it through levitation, which might make a cool scene of him improving it, but I don't think he had time. I think it was a rush job that he probably never goes back to improve because Anakin's the kinda guy who wears a scar as a medal, so he sees the arm as a reminder of his failure (in his mind) to motivate him to be better. But I seriously doubt he built it.

captainmidnight
i think chaos is a COOL IDEA too....and being as interesting as a WET PUSSY CAT is a cool idea too.... Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.