If what we know is what we are then . . . why is my foot blue?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tired Hiker
Ignore the title.

If all we can fathom is all we know, then everything we can think of is possible, since we only know what we have learned through experience. What do you think? erm

Turbo-Cajun
The first part of your question confuses me a little bit, but i think what you are asking is, is percieved reality the only foundation upon which we can examine the human experience. My response to this is no. I would tend to agree with those who believe that perception is processed in conjunction with time and space, feelings of the sublime. My recommendation is if you have spent any time dealing with questions such as this do some deep reading of old school philosophers like Kant. Or you could possibly spend some time experimenting with mind altering psychoactive substances. I have done both. Its both satisfying and impossible. Good luck finding your answers.

Tired Hiker
It wasn't really a question, but thanks! big grin I'll have to read some Kant. Hallucinogens, I've done. But Kant, I have not. wink

Turbo-Cajun
Its good stuff. The hallucigens i mean. The Kant can get dry and tough to read sometimes. I had some of that in a history of philosophy class but I had a great Prof. so it wasnt too bad

Tired Hiker
I actually thought of this thread because of a theory my philosophy teacher in junior college taught me, which was something about memory, and how we only know what we can remember, here's a meak example. Let's say someone says to you, "hey, what is on the corner of Main St. and Market St.?" So, you visualize what is there, say it's a Chevron gas station.

Okay, I never claimed to be a philosophical genius. Plus I've been partying tonight. Forgive me. erm

Clovie
Kant was a genious. yes

Paxelius
We know nothing of importance if we don't know love (shamelessly modyfied quote by Socrates)

Syren
Apologies in advance babe, but it seems that you've stopped midway through an explanation. Either that or my grasp on reality has slipped once again erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.