Review: The Princess Bride

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Zero

BackFire
Yep, great movie. Reading this review makes me want to watch it today.

D-Double
Man, I used to be addicted to this movie. I loved everything about it. Especially the dialog. As a kid, I was so impressed with Carey Elwes that for Halloween I was the "Man in Black". Everybody kept asking me "Are you Zorro?". The story is amazing, enhanced by the strange and creative locations:
-The pit of dispair
-The cliffs of insanity
-The fire swamp
-Miracle Max's shack

But what caught me off guard was that this movie is hilarious. I still chuckle when I think about witty banter.
-
"Fesick, are there rocks ahead?"
"If there are, we'll all be dead"
"Stop rhyming, now. I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"
-
"Get rid of him. Your way."
"Sure...uh...What's my way, again?"
"He's going to be coming over that hill soon. Grab one of these big rocks and hide somewhere. When his head is in sight, HIT IT WITH THE ROCK!"
"My way's not very sportsman like."
-
One of my top 20. And that's saying something cuz I've seen alot of movies. wink

Mr Zero
I intend to dress as the dread pirate roberts this very halloween!

BlackC@t
Urgh! horrible, horrible movie! we had to watch it for english at school, my class got so bored that people were either drawing, talking, sleeping, or throwing things at each other.
I wouldn't watch this movie if I was paid to! sick

BadKitty
my sister adored this movie and for a long time I didn't give it a chance because I was haunted by the like of 'the never ending story"

so one day she brought the movie over and said "your going to watch this" and I've loved it ever since.

this movie is defiantly a treasure for every one

INCONCEIVABLE!
smile

D-Double
^"You keepa saying thata word. I do not think it means whatchu think it means." big grin

finti
its a good flick this Princess Bride

BlackC@t
If I had a sister and she said that to me I would make her eat those words.

It's just us kids of today are into MTV and such good movies as Spider-Man 2.

A couple of days ago I asked my older brother to take me down to the video shop and he mentioned The Princess Bride then asked "you wanna watch it?"

My reply was "Sure, I'll go kill myself for bringing this up."

Though I loved The Never Ending Story and other old movies..........age has nothing to do with the movie, I just thought it sucked!

angelsflame265
this is a grand old movie smile

BlackC@t
Stop it! stop it! STOP IT!

*covers ears with hands and rocks back and fowards*

Mr Zero
you didnt like the film but cant give any reasons beyond "it sucked".

very sophisticated review there - perhaps you might want to dumb it down a notch for our less intelligent readers?

pr1983
still one of the best comedies ive ever seen, ive got the sudden urge to find it and see if it s on dvd

Mr Zero
Get the special edition - its got LOADS of great stuff on there...

BadKitty
BC your posts confuse me quite a bit yanno..

you say age has nothing to do with it,but yet you had a rant about kids today (where did that come from?)

and you say the movie sucked but you couldn't possibly know that because if you in fact paid attention to the movie you would have known I was quoting it and there for you needed not to reply to what I said.

besides that....your wrong. stick out tongue

spidergrl
we had to watch it as well for english and ohhh man none of us watched it. it was so boring and stupid and dumb and pointless.........so pointless

BadKitty
wow! what are the odds that 2 people would have watched this movie for English?! thats amazing!

perhaps thats something they do all over New Zealand smile

BlackC@t
shifty if only you knew!

Come on Bk stick out tongue
I mean't the age of the movie.

Besides! I watched it like a year ago!

Now come on, you had your opinion and I had mine, a mod especially should know to respect that! stick out tongue

Also, everybody knows that the best movie of the 80's was 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors' stick out tongue

BadKitty
if you only knew what I think I know what you knew

BC you know well enough by now I don't know squat...I'll prove it...

I hated 'A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors' stick out tongue

BlackC@t
BlackC@t confused wacko

G.P
Reviews... whistle

BadKitty
eek!

5 out of 5 stars the Princess Bride is a great movie,go see it right away!

stick out tongue

Westley : You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

BlackC@t
1/5, only see this movie if you wanna send yourself to an early grave.
BK I can't believe you thought I was a sock!

D-Double
Early grave? This flick raises the dead.

"Hello. My name is Indigo Montoya. Prepare to die."

Jackie Malfoy
Dispite that this was from a book that was awful!This movie has it all.Action love and alot of funny parts in it.
The movie also has alot of great actors that steal the show!With alot of memory lines that you can never forget!"You killed my father!""Stop saying that!
And "As you wish!"Fun for the whole family!Sadly the soundtrack sucks but go see the movie if you had not seen it.Trust me when I say it is worth watching!JM laughing Happy Dance

madsci
when this film was originally released, i did not want to see it for the obvious reason: initially, it seemed lame. But now, "the princess bride" is one of my top ten favorite movies. I actually just watched it last night on dvd, and it gets better everytime. There are so many memorable lines delivered throughout the film: "aristotle, plato, socrates...morons!", "to the pain!", etc. The performances by cary elwes, mandy patinkin, and andre the giant as a three man band of fighters, is refreshing and excellent.

come to think of it, i might just dress up as the dread pirate roberts for halloween this year.

hunchy
Great movie. Classic.

"Stop rhyming now, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"

tabby999
yeah, i live in Aus and i got to watch this in English, but to go against the odds here i'm gonna say YAY for the movie, i thought i was great. silly but good!

Mr Zero
From... a... book... that... was...was...w.. awful.

awful.

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure (The 'Good Parts' Version) by William Goldman. awful.

I had no idea such blasphemy existed under the sun.

tabby999
depends on if the author is a god on whether its blasphemous (spelt that wrong) i guess.

Telemicus
A truly splendid film.
It's wit and cleverness completely caught me by suprise and i've proudly owned it on video for a very long time.

4 and a half stars out of 5

quite inconcievable that people are slating it.

Wolfie
Great book. Great movie.

WillyWonka
Definitely top 10 movies of all times. I think at some point when I was in college, I could have recited this movie from beginning to end.

jnolan
I dont understand how anyone could not like this movie, it would be good based soley on the dialouge but after that you have great action scenery, not to mention just about every actor/ess seems that they were born for their part. I have to say tho' the banter is all the best, who hasnt laughed when they heard "as you wish" or "my name, is innego montoya, you have killed my father, prepare to die" GOD I love this movie, gonna go and but it tonite methinks

crickey77
Love, love, love this movie! I honestly don't know how anyone can not love it. I haven't read the book so I can't speak to that, The movie has everything - humor, adventure, romance, etc. There are too many quotes to count.

Inigo Montoya: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?
Plus, how can anyone not love little Fred Savage smile

Jackie Malfoy
Anyone liked the movie better then the book?The book sucked big time.JM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.