William Shakespeare (what is your favorite?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

badkittykitty
William Shakespeare has so many accomplishments! he has wrote comedy,history,tradgey and poetry theres is just so much and most of us has been touched by him some how.what is your favorite? mine would have to be Macbeth big grin

shaber
King Lear cool (could the smilie be Gloucester confused )

Phoenix
Midsummer Nights Dream! I love it so much! big grin

Twin B!tch 1
Ditto to phoenix wink

SAtown_punk
Yeah, Midsummer Night's Dream. I was in that play twice, and I played Flute one time(who plays Thisby, I believe. That was rather funny), and then I was also the one who played Pyramus. This play rules so much.

I also like Macbeth. I don't know why.

amity75
I hated Shakespeare at school but I've lately read A Midsummers Nights Dream and found it to be really funny. The guy (or whoever wrote it!) was so ahead of his time.

SAtown_punk
I like how you said "or whoever wrote it". I, for one, do not believe he wrote every one of his plays, if any of them at all. Not by himself, at least.

amity75
Yeah theres loads of evidence to suggest that it wasn't him. Apparantly it was his housekeeper or Francis Bacon or someone.

SAtown_punk
I've also heard that it was the whole company he was with, "The King's Players". Or he may have stolen them from another playwrite who didn't become famous until after Shakespeare died, but the way he writes is remakably similar to Shakespeare. But the name fails me at the moment.

EOWYN3
I have a hard time with Shakespeare, but I loved "The Taming of the Shrew!"

Aurora
I love Shakespeare!!!!! I can't narrow it down to one so I will give you my top three: Romeo and Juliet love Julius Ceasar wink and The Taming of the Shrew evil face hehehe

I also LOVE The Sonnets. My favorite:
O MISTRESS mine, where are you roaming?
O stay and hear! your true-love's coming
That can sing both high and low;
Trip no further, pretty sweeting,
Journeys end in lovers meeting
Every wise man's son doth know.

What is love? 'tis not hereafter;
Present mirth hath present laughter;
What's to come is still unsure:
In delay there lies no plenty
Then come kiss me, Sweet-and-twenty,
Youth's a stuff will not endure.

Corlindel
Midsummer Nights Dream smile

SAtown_punk
good choice, corlindel

Julie
I liked Macbeth....never read King lear......

SAtown_punk
yes, Macbeth is another good one.

slashwristbarbi
I like Macbeth, mainly because of the elements of supernatural and madness in it. I also like Midsummer Nights Dream, again because of the supernatural and fantasy, and also the comedy! However, we studied Romeo and Juliette at school recently, and I hated (although this could be due to the fact that I hate romance in general). I know what you mean by saying theirs evidence Shakespear didnt write his own plays, he stole them from someone else, and I think the name of the guy he was meant to have stolen them form was Christopher Marlowe, but I'm not 100% sure.

shaber
Christopher Marlowe had different styles of rhyming and characterisation to Shakespeare. The most suspected thing is that Shakespeare stole them off Bacon.

Vampiree
Macbeth

crazy_c
I gotta say Romeo and Juliet since it's the only thing i've read by shakespeare and we're doin it in school at the mo yes bunny bunny

SAtown_punk

WindDancer
Same here I love Macbeth!

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

big grin

Personal favorite is Act 4, Scene 1.

big gay kirk
I'm with BKK on this one, having seen Macbeth performed on seven occasions, and having played the Thane of Glamis and Cawdor at school... my favourite shakespeare character however, has to be Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet (played him, too...) "A prick... but ask of me tomorrow and you will find me a grave man..."

Jeff_Atello
I like the whole "Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?" routine.

badkittykitty
BGK!! how nice to see you posting again! smile

big gay kirk
Nice to be back, Kitty... oh, btw, thanks for what you said on my birthday thread!

Gil'sSweetheart
Romeo and Juliet

Trinity_Matrix
I like Midsummer Night's Dream...but of course I'd be kinda partial to that one, I performed in it yes

badkittykitty
awh you seen it! *blushing* I think your the coolest with your belly bouncing powers lol! smile

Pallas Athene
I liked 'Midsummer's Night Dream' and 'Julius Ceaser'. Although when I heard that there was some evidence that he may have stolen some of the plays, I was shocked. But if it was him, he was pretty darn good at doing what he did!!!!!! AN amazing poem by him was 'Lucrece' or however yoy spell her name. I'm guessing he went crazy at some time or tragicaly lost a girlfriend etc.

lil_ms_nonblond
romeo and juliet. because true love never dies. smile

shaber
Shakespeare's poem Lucretia was based on Livy's historical account of the wicked ancient Roman primce who raped a noble woman, the ensuing scandal serving as a catalyst for revolution which saw an end to the Roman monarchy 25 centuries ago smile Livy did it from a storytelling point of view though.

Bloom4ever
macbeth right now
i wish we could perform the play, cuz i'd love to act Lady Macbeth

Trinity_Matrix
I also really liked Othello...we read that last year in school and I liked it a lot.

I'm so mad...my school's planning on putting on another Shakespeare play next year, but this is my last year there...I won't get to be in it!

Kaleanae
Reading Macbeth, I also like Julius Caesar, Romeo and Juliet

Elanor
i havent read a lot so far but i like midsummer's night dream and hamlet smile

Maikahyandowen
Much Ado About Nothing, or Hamlet.

Do you know me, my Lord?
Excellent well, you are a fishmonger.

Fëanor
Do Sonnets count?

MasterWizard
I've only read one of his works, which was Twelfth Night. I liked it a bit. I had to read it in school.

midnightshadow
My faves are, much ado about nothing, hamlet, and macbeth, although i prefer the terry pratchett spoof of macbeth ( wierd sisters) its really funny.

Hey has anyone noticed that kenneth branagh is in every shakespere film that he screen writes, produces or directs? i mean hes good at the parts he plays, but you'd have thought hed have enough to do without being in it aswell.

theReject
Midsummer Night's Dream!
It's hilarious!

Mr Zero
Henry IV, Parts 1 & 2.

(I assume that the person who said they were reading Chimes at midnight meant these plays?)

I love my Shakespeare, tho I find him hard to read unless I've seen the play performed first. Henry IV is by far my fave simply because it's so varied. You have both noble and gutter language - drama and comedy - the plays motifs are the nature of honor, british culture and magic - whats not to love?

Plus it has (for me) Shakespeares greatest character in Falstaff.

Clovie
"all well that ends well" laughing it was soooo funny.

i also like some more but i don't know english titles confused

speiderman
My absolute favorite would have to be Macbeth.

I am a Sock
MacBeth was good. The only other play I read was Julius Caeser. I don't know too many of his works

Clovie
Lady Macbeth was sooo cool roll eyes (sarcastic)

R@ven
Macbeth is good but my fav is Hamlet and The Tempest big grin

Exabyte
I like the sonnets and Macbeth best so far;

One of my favourite characters is Caliban, there's also a brilliant new short novel about him by Tad Williams - wonderful to read smile He's a very interesting character, but somehow often forgotten or ignored confused

shaber
My favourite character is King Lear.

Abbita
I am going to sudy Hamlet in english later in this year, could someone give me a heads up on it please? big grin

R@ven
Hamlet is a very complicated character... many people cannot figure out if he is either insane or brilliant. Pay attention to his ranting most of all its a grand play and Hamlet is heralded as one of the first Modern thinkers.

vaya_the_elf
I think i would have to go with king lear

Abbita
so what is hamlet about? big grin

Vampy
did i say 'macbeth' already? eek!

Exabyte
yes

Brilliant in my opinion... but I just saw the play, didnt read it sad

R@ven
its about a Prince of Denmark whos father recently died and his mother married his uncle who is now King. Hamlet goes into deep depression and resents his uncle and mother for marrying within a month of his fathers death. He then sees a ghost who claims to be his father and tells him he was murdered and to take revenge upon his uncle who poisoned him ... Hamlet contemplates the idea and seems to go crazy in everyones eyes.... i do not want to give away the ending because it is great.. i will PM it to you if you like big grin

You must read Exa its great and thankyou for the complement big grin

Exabyte
smile

Well they used the exact dialogues for the play... but I didnt understand several parts because the actors spoke quite fast and English is a foreign language for me erm but I love Shakespeare's style... each single line so perfectly balanced ~ wonderful to read.

Ok then I shall read Hamlet, too happy

shaber
I liked the first part of Hamlet, but after he stabbed that aide accidentally it really becomes to devolved.

kohl
i'll go with the sonnets.

Fëanor
^^have to agree with kohl...esp sonnet 116

much ado about nothing is very good...

silver_tears
I have to say Romeo and Juliet love
The first work I was ever exposed to, and I loved it big grin

Rad_1
Romeo + Juliet! love, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Macbeth.

Exabyte
I started "A Winter's Tale" today... not bad, not bad, actually very good big grin

Morgoths_Wrath
King Lear, and sonnet 130

filipinogrl
A Midsummer's Night Dream

dancehall
midsummer night's dream and much ado about nothing!

curtmister
midsummer nights is my fav

Celestialgirl
Much Ado About Nothing! It's so amazing!

curtmister
in the uk they had a thing on the bbc called shakespere retold and it told 4 of shakesperes plays it modren day settings
midsummer nights dream, much ado about nothing, macbeth and taming of the sherw it was amazing

Azure
I know this is random and no one knows me, but my goal is to spread the word......there will be a Dragonlance movie anime in 2007! ( dont bother flaming me, I most likely never be back)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.