George Lucas book?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chilled monkey
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query.

I heard somewhere that George Lucas said that there was a book that helped him come up with the ideas for Star Wars. I don't know the title or anything, but apparently it was something about how there are only a few basic stories, and every movie is basically just an interpretation of one or more of these.

Does anyone have any idea what this book could be?

yerssot
the theory of some Campbell guy you mean?

zutalurs
The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell.

Jerico
****ing George

Ushgarak
Jericho, try and keep thinga vaguely relevant, thanks.

yerssot
that's the one; thanks! smile

Quendiñoldo
He also STOLE from Tolkien....

yerssot
of course he did yes *yawns*

as Tolkien STOLE from other writers roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quendiñoldo
No no...
I meant the name, Endor.

yerssot
of course he stole that roll eyes (sarcastic)

like Tolkien stole it from the bible:

To Endor, Saul resorted to consult one reputed to be a witch on the eve of his last engagement with the Philistines (1 Sam. 28:7). It is identified with the modern village of Endur, "a dirty hamlet of some twenty houses, or rather huts, most of them falling to ruin," on the northern slope of Little Hermon, about 7 miles from Jezreel.

(http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/endor.html)

Quendiñoldo
Hmm......he used it to mean, "Middle-earth"....
I did not know that, and I'm sorry.
~I'm not a Christian~

yerssot
neither am I, that's why the net is good to search some stuff up wink

Quendiñoldo
True.
Sorry. stick out tongue

yerssot
pay it no mind smile

Quendiñoldo
Mind?
stick out tongue

yerssot
what else could it be stick out tongue

chilled monkey
Thank you all very much. You've been a great help.

mephistodesigns
Actually, the Power of Myth didn't come out until 1987, its a transcript of the Joseph Campbell interview with host Bill Moyers filmed in the Skywalker Ranch library in 1986 right before Campbell died. The book he used was "The Hero's Journey". It's in one of the documentaries in the bonus featurettes/documentaries.

mephistodesigns
or The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I know he's cited both in interviews through the years. Its definetly one of those two titles. Check your DVD's.

yerssot
in other words, read all his books while you're at it wink

mephistodesigns
no, its definetly one of those two titles that Lucas used. But the Power of Myth you can get on DVD. In it, Campbell talks about Star Wars from time to time when it fits into the mythic archetypes he discusses. It's pretty interesting. But honestly, I do reccomend reading a lot of Campbell, you'll understand so much more about just about everything when you're done. Especially in films that have that philosophical background. The Matrix sequels will make ten times more sense and ALL the Star Wars films will have a new depth for those who have studied Campbell and his ideas.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.