Captain America vs. Cyclops

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Maelstrom
I think this would be the match up between teams when it all comes down to it. I guess Cap's sheer strength would eventually overwhelm Scott. cool

Maelstrom
Cap would have a ***** of a time with the optic blast beneath his feet.

Maelstrom
Still Scott may be an excellent fighter but he just can't compenate for all that Cap can throw at him.

Maelstrom
Deadly or not

Mr_Famous
can cap block an optic blast with his shield without being blown away?

Beyonder
Adam Warlock comes in and kicks both their butts - then leads the Infinity Watch to save the universe...once again. wink

Mane
as much as i hate Twot Summers and love Captain America, I think Cyke would win. But Cap would give him a hell of a ride.

carnage24
yeah....r uall forgetting cap has a SHIELD???? He can do some pretty cool stuff with his dish ya know. Picture this:

Cyc blasts a couple from the dist... Cap blocks em and at the same time runs close to cyc...then grabs cyc then POW! CRACK! SCHWING!
cyc: BWAHHHH...............................out cold!!

laughing

Linkalicious
What the f**k?

anyways....

Scott would probably try a couple of low level blasts to try and incapacitate Cap, but those would get blocked. I'm sure Cap would get in a couple of b!tchin hits, and cause Scott a lot of pain...but I think a full blown optic blast that gets blocked would send Cap sailing into a wall or something.

I take Cyclops, though I most certainly think it could go both ways. And I could easily see Captian America winning in a comic.

Mane
exactly. very well said.

norrin radd

Linkalicious
Good tactic for Caps would be to actually throw his shield right at Scott, and then run for cover.

If Scott gets too much tunnel vision seeing a defenseless Cap, he might just take a shield to the face...

Swanky-Tuna
Cap's shield is made of a impact absorbant metal isn't it?

Linkalicious
it's made of adamantium, and I DO see Wolverine absorbing a lot of blows....but generally the path of destruction from point a to point b ain't pretty.

Swanky-Tuna
Not that, it's... either the metal a notch above adamantium or a notch below. I'll look it up.

Vibranium. I don't read Cap so I don't know what's up with his shield now.

manjaro
dude dont you know that anyone who writes for Cap never makes him lose.......ever. no matter who you put him up against, the writers will always work it out so that he'll win.(wince)feel so sorry for cyke

Wynndar
caps sheild can easily absorb cykes blast...

Arachnoidfreak
Both of these characters make my skin crawl with hatred. I hope they both land fatal blows at the same time so they both die. That'd be awesome. Full power Cyke blast to Cap's face, while Cap plunges his sheild into Cyke's throat. Oh, the sweetness.

Mr_Famous
How about Cap when he had the metal armor on (don't read cap much but looked linda like iron man) vs Cyclops? is that fairer now?

Swanky-Tuna
That'd probably slow Cap down

manjaro
but still the writers will work it out so he wins

WarSpawn
isnt Cap's shield made of an even stronger adamantium than what's on Wolverine?

if so, couldnt Cap throw his shield like full speed with his 600 pound lifting strength and slice Cyclops in half before Cyclops can even get a shot off?

Mav
Cap eats Cyke alive. He's one of the top 5 fighters alive, the best leader alive, the best tatician alive. I could see Cap using the shield to make the blasts go back to Cyke.

Mane
its not Adamantium. it's Carbonadium. which is an alloy of Adamantium and some other jazz...

crazyspinz
i thought cap was stronger than that

and here is the specs on his sheild:
Captain America's main weapon has always been his shield, a concave disk 2.5 feet in diameter, weighing 12 pounds, and made up of a unique Vibranium-Adamantium alloy that has never been duplicated.

Mane
he is. he can lift 800 lbs.

yes. named Carbonadium. the Vibranium is what makes it bulletproof.

crazyspinz
its 800 lbs, i just checked

Mane
no crap, sherlock.

WarSpawn
ok, 800, that means he can throw the shield even faster then. it'd be really really bad writing, but couldnt Cap do what i said? Quick 2 second fight?

crazyspinz
u must have posted that when i was posting mine, wutever

Mane
Cyclops could shoot a concussive blast with even more force to kock it out of the air and than shoot Cap.

crazyspinz
ya, the only way cap could win this is to somehow get close to cyke, witch wouldnt be easy

norrin radd
LOLOLOLOL, i have to agree, that this is the best idea so far

FrothByte
even if cyke made a full blast at cap's sheild, it wouldn't throw cap away. his shield absorbs energy. this fight goes to cap a.

Mane
how does it go to him? say he absorbs Cyke's blasts, how do you suppose he beats Cyke?

Swanky-Tuna
He'd probably throw it at a fairly close range and go for a tackle or a knockout or something while Cyclops is blocking the shield.

Mr_Famous
like the "charging star" move from Marvel Super Heroes arcade game?

Swanky-Tuna
No clue, I sucked at every arcade game ever made. Hahahahaha... seriously, it made me sad when I was a kid.

JuggernautFan
this has happened before. captaian america -did- win.

Tron
Carbonadium? When did they ever say that?

Omega Red uses Carbonadium, that's not what the shield's made from though. It's a Vibranium-Adamantium alloy, and has never been duplicated, as has been said already. And, it's much stronger than both, while Carbonadium is below both of those.

who?-kid
Captain America is the better fighter, is faster, has better reflexes and has his precious shield. And is stronger too.

Scott is probably a little bit smarter and is also a good fighter, but not as good as Captain America. Cyclops only has a chance when he can fight Captain America from a distance.

Once CA gets close enough, it's exit Cyclops.

Wynndar
i still dont know how Cyclop's offenses would be able to assualt Cap...his shield is perfectly designed to defend the optic blast and cyclops has no hand to hand abilities

Swanky-Tuna
I imagine he'd have some. It'd be stupid to just rely on his optic blast. But not on par with Cap.

FrothByte
cyke's optic blasts are probably all he's got against cap a. if cap a is able to deflect or absorb the blasts with his shield, then that would nullify cyke's offensive. cap would eventually find a way to get close and that would be it for cyke.

Evangel94
Cyclops blasts at full power shatter an entire mountain. It's pure concusssive force. Captain America is a normal human and can't take that.

crazyspinz
this is true, and there is no posible way for cyke to miss

Mane
i dont think Captain America has the physical capability to absorb cyke's full-force optic blasts.

JuggernautFan
yes he does.......... captain americas shield absorbed hundreds of blows from gladiator, it can deflect cyclops optic blast also. this fight has happened before.... captain america is a better tactician a better fighter and has the better weapon (the shield is awsome) . he would win this fight more than he would lose. IMO of coarse.

emraldguardian
His shield has also taken a hit from a pissed of Thor im sure it could take a blast from cyc. This goes to cap.

Evangel94
Cap was injured and his shield was dented because of that. He was able to block mjolnir without getting his head smashed in by thor.

Thor actually didn't know his own strength and later stated he didn't mean to do that to cap. He was actually holding back alot when he struck cap.

pr1983
untrue, cyke has proved himself time and again a better leader and tactician.

and if cyclops is full power he can destroy caps shield, as long as he can dodge it.

Mane
no way. Cyclops is so freaking overrated. he makes my stomach churn.

Linkalicious
true, there's no way that Cyclops is a better tactician than Captain America.

who?-kid
Very true.

Not so sure about that. I don't think he can destroy CA's shield.

Tron
Cyclops a better leader and tactician? Can you prove that?

And with all the shit that Cap's shield has taken in the past, I doubt Cyclops' optic blast can do much to it.

pr1983
as for the shield thing, its never happened that i know of, but i believe if cyclops really let loose he could destroy it (but only at its strongest), as for the tactician, cyclops has a weaker team than cap in most respects, also he sees things others dont, hes always one step ahead of whats going on in battle.

Maelstrom
Not sure of the issue number, when Xavier is a green evil twin and the new x-men go against the original,#112 or something. In it Cyclops cuts lose with his optic blast on Colossus. Although the blast feels like a burn to Peter he is able to advance on Cyke.
Wolvies claws can cut Colossus(not hulk at logans strength level).
Cap's shield is way stronger than Colossus. The adamantium, like the claws is stronger and the vibranium is like the adamantium in the same way only with stability. Cap only has to be capable of lifting his shield to advance on Cykes blast. The shield will do the rest.
The real challenge of this fight is who is better with the eye. Cyke can do phenomenal things with his blast but Cap has no match when he throws his shield.
In his latest series he throws his shield right through a personnel carrier, tearing through the engine and the rest of the truck as well.
I see Captain America advancing on Cyclops and griping him under the chin. He lifts his face up towards the sky while he rips off the visor and cuts off his air tubes. After he drops his limp body to the ground he mutters something like, "Get a grip son; your a real menace."

crazyspinz
dude, wolvies claws can and have cut hulk

Tron
Wolverine's claws can only scratch Hulk, he's not strong enough to get them further in than that.

crazyspinz
um, i pretty sure hes like semi gutted the hulk before, and colossus is alot more durable than the hulk

emraldguardian
I dont ever remember that happening.

who?-kid
Scratch ? Like it or not, but Wolverine has done much more than only "scratch" Hulk.

clickclick
Cap is the better fighter but Cyke has way more firepower. Cyke is capable of punching holes through mountains (at least from what I understand) so I would think he could also punch a hole through the ground where caps is standing. Can cap really walk through that blast anyway? I understand he can deflect it or repel it but I wonder if he can really walk through it. If cap throws his shield and misses, he is done.

The Flash
I'm gonna go with CA since he's a better fighter than Cyclops.

asana
me too i gotta go wit CA
also cyclops only has dat plasma blast dats it
all i know is CA's shield we be a big advantage for him plus he's a much better fighter than cyclops
cyclop better take his goggle off in thas fight b/c if he plans to fight CA man to man he's gonna get his ass wipe bad and the battle will be finish sooner than expected

srankmissingnin
Cyclops isn't so stupid to aim for Caps shield and you should see some of the trick shots he has pulled off. He could just aim his optic blast at the ground in front of Cap which I would imagine would make a crater of some sort that Captain America would fall into.

Well, I don't agree with it Cyclops has gotten the better of Wolverine in hand to hand before. He has also taken down the x-men on his own in one issue of Uncanny X-men.

Capt.JK
Actually, yes. One of the materials that makes up Cap's shield is Vibranium, which absorbs forceful impacts. The stronger the force, the better it performs. In Avengers #502, Cap took a full-force blast from a Kree battleship's main assault cannon, and only fell back on his butt a couple of feet. He wasn't even fazed. He has absorbed impacts from Hulk and Thor and kept standing. Cyclops would not be a problem.

Cosmo Kramer
Cyclops is a little *****! Caps is a strong muscular so called "American Hero!!!" As a matter of fact Cyclops would blast, Caps would block with his shield then do a sumersault and whip the shield into Cyclops. The fight would last ten seconds. And it would turn into a team battle.

Cosmo Kramer
nuff said

Nataku8188
Damn... exactly what i was thinking.

Capt.JK
Cap is famous for his trick shots with his shield. It might be a decent fight, but no way is Cyke walking away with a victory in this one. Cap puts him down in the end.

Cap wins.

Cosmo Kramer
ten second fight!

Capt.JK
You are wrong on so many levels here. Cap is THE tactician in the Marvel Universe, and THE best hand-to-hand fighter (check Marvel.com). Cyclops ain't even close in either department. And NOTHING can destroy Cap's shield, except for MAYBE a ground-zero, thermo-nuclear detonation, which MIGHT seperate the Adamantium/Vibranium molecular bond. And in the Marvel Universe, even THIS is speculation. Cyke has NOTHING that can even scratch the paint on that shield.

Cap wins.

K3VIL
Eva Cap i peak human condition, and probably to hit Cap Cyke must use a surface to deflect the blast and hit Cap in the back.

P.S. Where did u take the WW image u have in sign?

Havoc470
imo cap wins

who?-kid
I give this one to Cyclops for several reasons :

1. Cyke handles those beams of his at least as well as Captain America handles his shield, but the difference is his optic beams are sooo much more powerful and devastating than Caps' shield.

2. Cyclops is, in my opinion as good a leader and tactician as Captain America. Captain America is of course the better fighter, but Scott won't be so stupid to make this fight a fistfight : he just hits what he wants (head, arms, legs, whatever) because he has little chance of missing. Captain America can not predict Cyplops' aim, and will be hit sooner or later.

3. No way a writer will decide that it's time for Cyclops to kick Captain America's ass, he's much too popular, so Cyclops will always lose in a comic fight. In this forum, he wins. Come on, give him a break. wink.

Capt.JK
You're wrong... for several reasons:

1) Cyclops is good with his eye-beams, but unfortunately Cap is just as good or better with his shield. And unfortunately for Cyclops, those eye-beams are pretty much it. Once Cap gets his mitts on him (and you know he will), Cyke is O.U.T. for the count. And Cap doesn't have to know where the eye-beams are going to hit. His reaction time allows for him to react after the beam is fired. Read a few Cap comics and you will easily see this is true. His reflexes are far superior to Cyke's.

2) Obviously you know absolutely NOTHING about Captain America. Cap is THE best strategist and tactician in the Marvel Universe. Ask yourself: why is Cap always chosen to lead whenever there is a gathering of heroes? Whether it be the Avengers, or a combination of other heroes, or a meeting of the whole Marvel roster, or a crossover such as JLA vs the Avengers or Marvel vs DC. Cap is always UNANIMOUSLY chosen to lead because of his ability to analyze a combat situation and formulate a plan of attack and defense within moments. He is THE BEST.

3) Of course the writers will decide Cap wins. The writers decide every single thing that happens to any character. These are stories based on fictitious characters. But the point is, Cap has been written as a stronger character in the context of this forum's discussion, i.e. his abilities vs Cyclops' abilities. Therefore...

Cap wins.

Havoc470
of course he's the better tactician/strategist......captain america (he has the word captain in his name for a reason) has been in everything, he's basically mastered strategy and tactics through so much experience, cyke undoubtly has great experience but not better than cap imo

i like cyke but i think he's out-classed against cap, sure cyke has an advantage in range, but one concussive blast isnt gonna get cap down and thats IF it hits cap anywhere on his body

who?-kid

Capt.JK
That's the point. Cap knows he can't take the hit directly, just like he knows he can't beat him in a range fight. Cap is the supreme strategist on a battlefield. He's going to close in fast and take Cyke out. And once Cap gets close... Game Over.

Cap wins.

who?-kid
It isn't a battlefield, it's a fight between two men. It's not because you're a great tactician, you win every other fight. Do you think Napoleon could kick ass in a fist fight ?

Captain is the better fighter of the two, so he won't have much trouble with Cyke. If he gets close enough. But being a supreme strategist on a battlefield has nothing to do in a mean fight mano a mano.

True, but I would replace your "once" with "if". Those laser beams (or whatever they are) of Cyclops are much faster than Captain America.

Capt.JK
I find it hard to understand how everyone seems to agree that Cap is the best tactician on a battlefield where hundreds of people (soldiers, heroes, whatever) are all fighting for their lives and trying to win, and Cap can keep his head and emotions in check and lead the good guys to victory. Yet the "non-Cap" fans always seem to think his IQ drops and he can't coordinate his own 2 feet to win a one-on-one fight by himself. The basic skills he needs are the same. It seems to me that it would be easier for Cap if he didn't have to split his attention between fighting his own fight and leading and directing everyone else to boot. Your argument about Napoleon doesn't hold water, because he lead from the rear. Cap fights AND leads from the front! And Cap's reaction time is WAY faster than Cyke's!

Cyclops loses... BAD.

Cap wins.

Nathaniel Grey
This is definately Caps battle here. He's got the experience, strength, speed and endurance on Cyclops. There's no way Cyclops can win as long as Caps got that shield. And even then -- he'd have to CATCH Cap to put him down and Caps fast.

who?-kid
Not the speed. The optic beams of Cyclops are sooo much faster than the fastest move of Captain America.

Lol what's he going to do ? Hide behind his shield forever ? If Cyclops unleashes his full power, Captain America AND his shield will be blown away (shield not destroyed or damaged, but Captain America has not the power to hold his own against a powerful hit of Cyclops). It's like a runaway truck coming in your direction... oh, quick, let's just sit here and hide behind the shield, that will stop the truck lol.

And you do realize - I hope - Scott doesn't have much trouble with shooting his beams in complicated angles ?! He can without much effort hit the back of Captain America.

Eurhm no. Why on Earth should Cyclops catch Captain America ? Cyclops isn't stupid, he hasn't got a chance facing Captain America in a direct fight.

Havoc470
cyclops isnt that kick ass with his optic blasts, he's been beat by weaker characters than cap that have less fighting ability and no ranged attacks at all

cap has been shot by WAYYYY WAYYYYY worse than cyclops strongest optic blast, and never went down against them

as much as i like cyclops he has no chance against captain america, cap definitely wins this one

Nathaniel Grey
Faster? I disagree. While Cyclops' reaction time with his optic blasts is very formidable they're far from being " uncanny ". All of Cyke's abilities save for his optic blast are the normal attributes of a human ( Yes, I know he's a mutant. ) being that's had some intense training. Captain America is several steps above that in every general direction. His physical speed would allot him a degree of mobility that would rival even Cyclops' own reaction time. As we all know...Captain America is the peak of human strength, speed, endurance and agility. I somehow doubt it would take him much effort to avoid Cyclops' optic blasts. Captain America has dodged omni beams, lasers, bullet fire and even the rays of the cosmic cube I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure you will. I've seen Nightcrawler avoid Cyclops' optic blasts and I somehow think even Cap would have such ability especially were he to parry each of those oncoming attacks with his shield.

Hide? No. That's not Caps style and you know it. Captain America though he plays defensive when needed is essentially an offensive fighter. The last thing he'd do when faced when an enemy with such abilities is hide behind his shield hoping for amnesty. Though I don't question Summers' ability to formulate battle tactics I do not believe they're as complex as those of Captain America. He's had more experience in battles in the past half a century than Cyclops that gives him the advantage.

Unleash his full power? When have you ever known Cyclops to release his " full " power on someone he doesn't consider an enemy? That's NOT at all in his character. Besides this is Captain America, someone that Cyclops himself reveres to a degree. Even if he fought him he wouldn't try to blast him into kingdom come. He wouldn't be out to kill Cap if it weren't a necessary option. So let's assume that Cyclops would now be dishing out his standard blasts. Those aren't at all that difficult to avoid when you posses heightened agility and speed. Though I'm not saying he could avoid them all together but in conjunction with his shield he'd have a pretty good chance of getting in close to Cyke where it'd just be a matter of landing a few well placed blows and the man is K.O'ed.

And you do realize that Captain America's heightened reaction time would give him the tools needed to I don't know...duck perhaps? And lets' not forget Caps shield. The shield's exceptional aerodynamic properties enable it to slice through the air with minimal wind resistance and deflection of path. How much effort do you think it would take for Cap to toss his shield at Cyclops? And while Cyclops aims his optic blast to hit the shield ...it wouldn't take too much of Caps speed to run up to Cyke and again...K.O. him. Is that not a possibility? I think it is.

Yes, Cyclops is a worth contender and probably one of the better match ups for Cap but seeing as how Cyclops seems to mainly rely on his optic blast for offensive attacks that leaves him at a greater disadvantage. His single attack allows those he fights the ability to predict the possible directions he could take. Captain America is said to be one of the greatest tacticians in the Marvel world and you don't think he'd realize that this was a possibility? He's got the mind of a soldier and has been a soldier since before Cyclops was born. Cap would exploit every weakness that Cyclops has including the removal of his visor. Without that Cyke has no " pin point " control. And with that Cap can easily move in and take Cyke out. It'd all lead to a direct fight which is where Cap dominates Cyclops.

Wonderman
If Cyclops can beat him quick he could win. However, likely that the good Captain America would devise a stratagy where Cyclops expends all of his optic beam.
Then it's man to man. And in that case, it's hopeless for Scott Summers. No matter how good a fighter or leader he is.
Whatever i said eairler in this thread, i haven't gone back to check; I still think Summers stands a darn good chance, maybe a 3 or 4 but he doesn't measure up to Cap. really. Not as a leader even.

Victor Von Doom
Oh for God's sake. Was about to make this very thread, with a different slant. Still will I think.

LordFear
Cap had armor at one point?????
That sucks big time!!!!
They both suck anyway!!!!

BootlegBoys420
We be bootleg!!!
Check it we read cap and we know he's above human peak stength, speed, stamina, and adjility. the nonly thing cyke can rely on is his tactics with his optic blast. Remember cap thups with batman and cyke wouldn't be able to touch batman. We think cap may have this one.
We run these streets!!!

Scoobless
Cyc has "touched" Batman, in the access books, it may have been a crossover (as it would have to be for the two to ever meet) but it was done within the scope of both of their abilities

peejayd
* of course the ever overrated Capt. America will always pull it off, but then again, my vote goes to Cyke. time and time again, Scott has proven himself as a worthy leader of the X-men and although Cap is exceptionally good leader of the Avengers, Cyke can blast Cap in a snap of a finger. sure, Cap has exceptional fighting skills, like Wolverine, but what kind of chance does he have when his opponent can dish him out meters away? lets face it, Cap has the strength and ability to take Cyke down but <zakt!> its game over even before Cap realizes it. lets just say, Cap did came close to Cyke, but Scott also has intensive physical training, good also in hand-to-hand combat. don't count Cyke out like a wimp that when Cap closes in, Cyke's finished. no, thats not it. you can browse your old comicbooks and see how Scott fights the gang, Dark Riders, all by himself. he fought not only with his mutant powers but also with his bear hands. Cyke can be hit by Cap but that does not end there. regarding Cyke's reaction time, well how much time does it take to twist your neck, look and then blast? lets say, half a second? or a second? is Cap that fast to evade a blast within seconds? i doubt! i vouch for Cyclops.

brainchild81
Cyclops wins.

spiderboy5
its a tie if the battle starts with both of them close together i give this to cap america but just barely if they start at a good enough distance then cyclops would blow caps a$$ to mars.

leonheartmm
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE CYCLOPS, although not near cap level, hes definately in the top 10 when it comes to fighting skill, and in the top 5, in tactics, leadership etc. even though he is a formidable opponent physically, people just start sayin, OH THAS CYCLOPS ONE OF THE WEAKEST X MEN, and that is not TRUE! his optic blast without his visor can rip asteroids in half and is up there with some of the most devestating affects known onn earth, even magneto's shield{that can easily take multiple hits from tactical nuclear warheads without straining}has problem dealin with a full out blast of an open eyed, visor less scott, and secondly, scott can also just destroy the earth beneath cap's feat even if cap is behind his shield.

Magic_attack
'Nuff Said!!!!
big grin

peejayd
* the fact of the matter is: Cap is a has-been... and has-been's are losers... Cyke wins -> ZAKT!!!

Metalmanx
Oh lord.

Guys. Caps's shield is 2.5 feet in diameter.

Cap is 6'2". Even if he bends as much as he can, he can't protect his entire body.

But that's irrelevant.

Cap blocks the first blast. Cyke shoots his feet, breaking the bones there with the concussive force. The fight's pretty much over from there. Cyke just keeps blasting at the unprotected parts. Being that they travel at the speed of light, I don't see anyway Cap is gonna dodge them.

If Cap throws the shield, Cyke shoots it away. Shield out of the picture.

Cyke wins this fight pretty bad.

peejayd
* Cyke wins...

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by who?-kid
Not the speed. The optic beams of Cyclops are sooo much faster than the fastest move of Captain America.

Lol what's he going to do ? Hide behind his shield forever ? If Cyclops unleashes his full power, Captain America AND his shield will be blown away (shield not destroyed or damaged, but Captain America has not the power to hold his own against a powerful hit of Cyclops). It's like a runaway truck coming in your direction... oh, quick, let's just sit here and hide behind the shield, that will stop the truck lol.

And you do realize - I hope - Scott doesn't have much trouble with shooting his beams in complicated angles ?! He can without much effort hit the back of Captain America.Lordie. You guys make this too easy. Just when I was putting some Cap comics away. Now I have to bring out some more scans. Here's the most logical thing. If Cap clonks Cyke directly with his shield, he wins by knockout. The thing is 800 lbs. If Cyclops can hit Cap directly with enough force, he wins by knockout. The question is, who had a better chance of hitting who?

For Cyclops:
1) He's smart and a great tactician.
2) He can in fact reflect his beams at different angles, but it has to be a certain surface, other-wise, it just punctures through like it usually does.
3) His blast is damn powerful and can destroy a mountain.

For Cap:
1) He's smarter and the best tactician Marvel has to offer.
2) He also can rebound his shield at different angles off a heck of a lot of surfaces and he does it better, does it instictually and doesn't even have to look to do it.
3) His shield can defend and/or reflect the best anything outside an Inifnity Gauntlet or what the Beyonder can throw at it.

I hope I don't have to post scans to prove the first two comparisons. I mean, Cap headed up strategy during Onslaught and not Cyke, when the heroes gathered. In fact, Cyke led some of his men off-field to save Xavier without telling Cap, and they got their asses royally handed to them and it was Cap n' crew who came in to rescue their mutie butts. Cap has led innumerable incarnations of Avengers, fought off armies single-handedly and effected the outcomes of more intergalactic wars and threats of universal destruction far more than Cyke. Hell, Cyke was taken off of leadership command when he lost to Storm and his most extraordinary accomplishments do not even rival Cap's.

Yeah. And don't tell me Cyke can reflect his beams off any surface. Just cause Cyke in the Capcom games reflects beams doesn't mean he can reflect his beam off of a grassy plain or a brick wall. And don't tell me Cap can't do it better than Cyke. Cap bounces his shield off so well, he can afford to look good by posing while doing it.

The third comparison is the subject of my next rebuttal. It's something that seems to be the crux of this debate. It seems fairly obvious that Cap could deflect regular size beams with ease. Hell, Cap is so damn good, he could probably reflect one back at Cyke with his shield like Danger does in her fight with the X-Men. So it seems that Cyke in a straightup "fair" fight wouldn't win against Cap with conventional means. But his trump card is his ability to unleash a massive attack, which most people seem to be focusing on. People don't doubt Cyke could blow up a mountain, although he doesn't usually. And the last big power blast he used was to wreck a Sentinel, but it didn't even really vaporize him. But regardless, us Cap supporters will give you the benefit of the doubt and grant that Cyke, with his most powerful shot, could blow up a small mountain. How effective is it and could Cap defend against it?

Us Cap supporters don't doubt it one bit. His shield is made of a certain unidentified alloy, this is from wikipedia.com: "Rogers also met President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who presented him with a new shield made from a chance mixture of iron, vibranium and an unknown catalyst. The alloy was indestructible, yet the shield was light enough to use as a discus-like weapon that could be angled to return to him. (In several stories, due to writer error, the shield was described as an adamantium-vibranium alloy.)" For all intents and purposes, the shield is indestructible and because of the vibranium, it absorbs force. This is the reason he can take a shot from Hulk and still be standing. So now having established that, could Cap defend against Cyke's full force blast? He can't dodge it, or reflect something back that large... so can he block it and still live? Or would it engulf him?

I think yes he could and no it would not engulf him. The next several scans will help prove it.

OneDumbG0
This scan is somewhat inappropriate as it involves his other shield which can expand. But it demonstrates a point. The convex (outward curve) curvature of his shield helps to deflect away a direct stream of force. In other words, a stream of water from a firehouse splashes outward when hitting the shield. Although the shield can't protect his standing body, if Cap can shrink down his stature or vulnerable points, like he does here by going into a perpendicular stance with respect to his shield, he could survive a full force blast and at worst, just be knocked away. Of course, a lot of us patriots think he wouldn't get knocked away cause he could take shots from Hulk and not get knocked away... but anyway, that's the worst that could happen. But do you see how something that you think would engulf Cap, doesn't? Again, them beams of Cyclops aren't going to curve around and hit Cap from behind once being deflected. Unless now he has somehow gained the mutant ability to alter the stream's path midflight...

OneDumbG0
Want something more substantial than that? This next scan shows what happens when a nuclear submarine blows up while Cap's still inside the stupid thing! See how he is able not only to protect himself but another person? Part 1:

OneDumbG0
And here's the spectacular part 2. Cap isn't even singed, he recovers an instant later to save the Lieutenant. Again, the shield's indestructible and force dampening properties, combined with its convex nature, combined with Cap contorting his body show that he can take even an all encompassing force like Cyke's blast. So what does Cyke have now if I just proved Cap can defend against his full force blast?
Check. And. Mate.

Piedmon
OneDumbG0, you are my hero. =D

Droopy
captain america

EsteemedLeader
Cap's shield coupled with his speed and agility let him avoid the blast. And unless Cyke takes off his visor, it's not going to engulf Cap.

JediMasterLuke5
Cap would just block Cyclops's blast with his shield then he would get up close and beat the **** out of Scott.

xmarksthespot
There's only so much of your body you can block with a small round shield.

EsteemedLeader
Small?

xmarksthespot
Small relative to the size of a person.

JediMasterLuke5
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
There's only so much of your body you can block with a small round shield.
But all he has to do is block where scott is shooting at. Cyclops sucks in my opinion.

EsteemedLeader
Yeah, a standing person.

xmarksthespot
So he isn't standing? Is he fighting in the fetal position? Whether or not you think Cyclops sucks is irrelevant. And considering Captain America only weighs about 240 lbs and is only peak human strength, optic blasts from Cyclops hitting the shield would send him flying.

JediMasterLuke5
Thats IF he can hit Captain.

Piedmon
Cap can put his entire body behind the shield if he just takes a knee and bows his back. If he chooses to hold that position, Cyclops will eventually get weak and exhausted (especially if he tries to continuously fire at maximum power.) Eventually Cap will just be able to waltz up to Cyclops and shove him to the ground.

xmarksthespot
Is it "Implausible Scenario Day"? I must have missed the memo.

Piedmon
Go look at those scans, you think it's so implausible.

xmarksthespot
Implausible because it assumes that Cyclops is an idiot, that he'll 'run out' of optic blast - I don't recall if and when that's happened before - and that Captain America can see through his shield. It also assumes he starts the fight crouched behind the shield.

Creshosk
Cyclops Blasts the ground infront of Cap and shrapnels up at him, and sweep his blast upward.

That's alot to block. . .

Piedmon
Cyclops has to remove his visor or adjust its power settings. That's easily time enough for Cap to get behind his shield.

Cyclops's beams are solar powered. He can fire them at night or underground because his body STORES THE SOLAR ENERGY. If he runs out of those stores, he's reliant on the sun for power. Even if this fight takes place on an open field at full sunlight, he only has until next nightfall.

Although it's pretty likely Cap could throw his shield and knock Cyclops out before Scott's hand even reaches his temple.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Piedmon
Cyclops has to remove his visor or adjust its power settings.Really now. Where exaclty do you derive this?

If he crouches behind the shield. Cyclops blasts the ground beneath him.

Creshosk
Cyclops has to remove his visor or adjust its power settings. That's easily time enough for Cap to get behind his shield. Since when?

Cyclops's beams are solar powered. He can fire them at night or underground because his body STORES THE SOLAR ENERGY. If he runs out of those stores, he's reliant on the sun for power. Even if this fight takes place on an open field at full sunlight, he only has until next nightfall. What the hell are you talking about? In full sunlight he wouldn't be using anything up as its being replenished while he's using it.

Although it's pretty likely Cap could throw his shield and knock Cyclops out before Scott's hand even reaches his temple. Er, No, cause Cyclops can dodge while firing, throwing the sheild is a BAD idea. . .

Piedmon
Originally posted by Creshosk
Cyclops Blasts the ground infront of Cap and shrapnels up at him, and sweep his blast upward.

That's alot to block. . .

Cap angles his shield downward, the shield absorbs the shockwave, so Cap stays exactly where he is.

xmarksthespot
Cap angles his shield downward, the shield absorbs the shockwave, so Cap stays exactly where he is. Again I ask why can Captain America see through a shield.

Piedmon
Uh... guys, this is basic stuff. Cyke's visor is adjustable. He can narrow it, to allow one thin beam, or pull it back/take it off entirely for the Big Bang.

Yes, in full sunlight it repleneshes him, but if he keeps shooting at full power he'll be using the energy as quickly as it's siphoned.

Piedmon
Cyclops's chances of dodging the shield are pretty much nil. Steve has hit much harder targets than a man with some acrobatics training.

xmarksthespot
Uh... guys, this is basic stuff. Cyke's visor is adjustable. He can narrow it, to allow one thin beam, or pull it back/take it off entirely for the Big Bang.You said he had to take off the visor to adjust it. Why does he need to make adjustments to the visor?
Yes, in full sunlight it repleneshes him, but if he keeps shooting at full power he'll be using the energy as quickly as it's siphoned. In which case he loses no stored energy.

Piedmon
No, I said adjust it for full blast, or if he's in a rush, rip it off.

Or. OR. OR!!!!

Creshosk
Uh... guys, this is basic stuff. Cyke's visor is adjustable. He can narrow it, to allow one thin beam, or pull it back/take it off entirely for the Big Bang. he can fire different sized shots you know. not just those two.

Yes, in full sunlight it repleneshes him, but if he keeps shooting at full power he'll be using the energy as quickly as it's siphoned. Prove it.

Cyclops's chances of dodging the shield are pretty much nil. Steve has hit much harder targets than a man with some acrobatics training. And Cyclops has hit harder targets than some guy with a scrap of metal.

And he's dodged worse than scrap metal.

Creshosk
No, I said adjust it for full blast, or if he's in a rush, rip it off.

Or. OR. OR!!!! Why does he only have those two options? he can shoot the eye out of a dime. . .

Piedmon
Yes, it's modulatable to the finest degree. They explain this in GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1. Know what else? They also explain how Cyclops's energy blasts are SOLAR POWERED. You should try to learn things like that before you argue for this character.

Cap is far more experienced and a much more skilled combatant than Cyclops. That shield is no piece of scrap metal. In the proper hands, it's deadlier than any gun. Cyclops thinks he's leaping aside of it, until it suddenly turns in midair and clocks him on the chin.

xmarksthespot
Even under your assumption he's not losing any net energy.

Still waiting to hear why Cap has X-Ray vision.

Piedmon
Just went on the Marvel Directory and found something interesting....

Uh-hunh. So Cap can go turtle for about 15 minutes until Cyke's proverbial wad is blown, and then pretty much finish him off at will.

Creshosk
Yes, it's modulatable to the finest degree. They explain this in GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1. Know what else? They also explain how Cyclops's energy blasts are SOLAR POWERED. You should try to learn things like that before you argue for this character. THAT is not in question, what's in question is his losing energy. . . While under sunlight. . .

Cap is far more experienced and a much more skilled combatant than Cyclops. That shield is no piece of scrap metal. In the proper hands, it's deadlier than any gun. Cyclops thinks he's leaping aside of it, until it suddenly turns in midair and clocks him on the chin. It's not a boomerang, it has to ricochet off of something to change angle like that.

Oh, got offended by the "scrap metal" comment? Then don't belittle the opposing character by downplaying him like that.

By the time it would change direction to hit him the fight is over, Cap'n A at that point has no defense. . . Zakt. . .

xmarksthespot
Marvel Directory is ludicrously out of date. No mention of any such limitation. Besides you're still assuming Cyclops is an idiot. Beam can be focused like vision.

Creshosk
Just went on the Marvel Directory and found something interesting....

Uh-hunh. So Cap can go turtle for about 15 minutes until Cyke's proverbial wad is blown, and then pretty much finish him off at will. Same site that claims wolverine can be killed due to blood loss, despite his losing massive amounts of blood before. . .

Same site that says that Galactus wieghs 18 tons. . .

Same site that needs to be updated. . . and that you can't always trust.

Piedmon
Uh... he can turn the shield?

Here's something else from Cyclops's biography on the Marvel Directory:

Interesting.... so that's not exactly 180 degrees, is it? Nor is it his most powerful beam. Cap could roll the shield while remaining crouched behind it, Temple-of-Doom style. He's not immobile, just playing defensive until Cyclops exhausts himself.

xmarksthespot
Uh did you pay no heed to the fact that Marvel Directory has outdated information.

"Turn the shield." Makes no sense whatsoever. Why is he turning it? He's apparently behind the shield completely how does he see what's going on on the other side.

Piedmon
So Cyclops has two options. He can go full-spray and waste his power. Or he can try and take a focused shot. But Cap's still a hard to hit target. Depending on the distance between them, it could be a matter of seconds until Cap's within arm's reach....

Piedmon
I can't read your posts while I'm writing my own, K? We're replying at the same time here.

Piedmon
Uh did you pay no heed to the fact that Marvel Directory has outdated information.

"Turn the shield." Makes no sense whatsoever. Why is he turning it? He's apparently behind the shield completely how does he see what's going on on the other side.

If Cyke tries to run around Cap's shield, altering the angle of his beam, Cap can turn the shield. How can Cap know Cyke is moving? Gee... you think he might notice when that HUGE RED RAY passing over his head starts to move right or left?

Creshosk
Uh... he can turn the shield? How? He doesn't have any power that controls the shield. . are you thinking of Thor?

Creshosk
If Cyke tries to run around Cap's shield, altering the angle of his beam, Cap can turn the shield. How can Cap know Cyke is moving? Gee... you think he might notice when that HUGE RED RAY passing over his head starts to move right or left? Or up and down?

Cap has a task ahead of him blocking the sheild, especially if Cyke turns the ground into shrapnel.

Piedmon
What the hell? He does it with his arm, which is holding the shield via two leather straps. It's not like Cyke's beam would hold the shield in place.

Piedmon
Originally posted by Creshosk
Or up and down?

Cap has a task ahead of him blocking the sheild, especially if Cyke turns the ground into shrapnel.

How does Cyke manage to fire downward at Cap, if we're assuming this battle is on a flat field?

You're talking about using the terrain for advantage! Don't you know anything about KMC, n00b? WE DON'T DO THAT HERE!

xmarksthespot
So the shield does or doesn't absorb the force from the optic blast? If the former then Captain America will have absolutely no idea whether or not Cyclops is firing and where he is aiming at the shield. If the latter then Captain America gets knocked backwards by the blast.

EsteemedLeader
So the shield does or doesn't absorb the force from the optic blast? If the former then Captain America will have absolutely no idea whether or not Cyclops is firing and where he is aiming at the shield. If the latter then Captain America gets knocked backwards by the blast.

Yeah, he doesn't hear the 'VWAM VWAM VWAM'... roll eyes (sarcastic)

xmarksthespot
Vibranium absorbs sound.

Piedmon

If Cyke fires at full power, the blast is much wider then the circumferance of Cap's shield. There would be runoff streaming past Steve in all directions.

If Cyke concentrates the beam, then Cap doesn't have to keep his entire profile behind the shield, and can freely observe Cyclops's maneuvres.

Cyclops is smart, so he'll do the latter. He's not going to blow all his power off in one useless barrage.

Piedmon
It does more than that. It absorbs all impacts. That's why Black Panther wears it as armor. It's why Cap doesn't go flying when someone like The Hulk punches his shield.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>