If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cyclops
Okay... let me set this up for you. You have the same ability as Rogue. If you touch another person with Super Powers, you gain them.

Every "superhero" (if you have been a part of my debate, ignore who I do not include. Every comic book/movie character) is lined up infront of you and will not move.

You can touch one person and gain their abilities FOREVER...

Who do you pick and why?

Viper
Wolverine. I would be awesome at parties...

"Hey wanna bet $50 that I can stab a knife through my chest and not die?"

Cyclops
Funny as all hell... imagine the possabilities, huh? You are at a girls house and all of her knifes are too dull to cut through... whatever it is she is trying to cut... OUT COME THE CLAWS!!!

eleveninches
Yeah, but not many people in the real world have super powers, so it would be mostly useless

Cyclops
It is a hypothetical situation.

kal-el
spiderman or superman or Luke Cage

Rasta
Superman most probably, he's got some cool powers.

Gregory
Does Rogue also absorb weaknesses? I'd say Martian Manhunter (almost all of Superman's powers and several of his own), but I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life having to avoid open flames.

Rasta
Yeah, exactly. I was also shifting between the two, but the fire thing. It's too big.

The Batman
I would probably choose Spider-Man. He has the most fun power package aside from Superman, and I don't want the kind of enhanced senses the Kryptonian possesses. With a danger sense, I can be ready for trouble in a millisecond, but with super-hearing, I would never get sleep or peace of mind with humankind's petty and disturbing chatter going on all the time.
Being able to jump from building to building with fantastic strength, speed and agility would be awesome. What a motivation to step out and get some exercise. If I were faster than bullets and stronger than any other human, you can bet I'd disguise myself and hit the streets, looking for trouble.

Gregory, how often do you allow flames to touch you as it is? Wouldn't you just use a flame-retardant suit, like the Batman does? Somebody please clear up for me what it means when they say J'onn J'onnz is "vulnerable to fire." Is he more flammable than human beings? Why is this considered such a handicap on this planet, when everyone is pretty put off by fire?

VENOMfan
I would want my own Symbiote. it might not be truly my own abilitie's but there is a lot of thing's a Symbiote can do

Rasta
He can actually alter his hearing, much like a remote. Assigning super-hearing to certain destinations, and some not. Reduce the level of volume. Etc.

Gregory
The Martian Manhunter is very vulnerable to fire. The flames do not have to touch him. And it's not a mere physical weakness; Martians are terrified of fire, to the point that, by simply lighting a match, Plastic Man is at one point able to draw a White Martian's attention away from the battle they were fighting. So even if I wanted to spend the rest of my life walking around in a flame-retardent suit, there would still be the psychological issue to deal with.

eleveninches
Magnetos magnetic mastery.
That would be soo cool

Or I might want to be super powerful like the living tribunal, but the thing is that whatever he thinks, happens. However, I often have some quite bad thoughts, which I would not reallly want to happen

The Batman
I wouldn't pick J'onn J'onzz, pyrophobia or no pyrophobia.
I don't know about other people, but having telepathy would drive me insane. Too much temptation to use it, eventually it becomes as addictive as the Internet, and it could easily lead to more trouble than it's worth.
When walking around in public, if I got a telepathic whiff that someone nearby had ever smacked a child or sexually assaulted someone, I'd be compelled to give them a horrible, brutal beating at the very least. That would lead to more searching and less restraint with my telepathy, and that would become my whole life right quick.
Remember the movie "Unbreakable?" If I had that going on, I'd become worse than the Punisher, or just collapse mentally. I'd rather be alerted to crimes as they are happening, so I don't have to dwell on everyone else's past sins.
Sorry for babbling. Just thought I'd share my point of view on telepathy, and why "Unbreakable" left me feeling so disturbed (as well as unsatisfied).

Lord Ryugen
I'd chose Proteus (is that how you spell his name?) who could rearange matter on the molecular level or Mikahal Rasputin since with either I can do whatever the hell I like

eleveninches
yeah, but proteus cant control his power (can he?)
i think he is able to jump into other peoples bodies, because his power destroys his own

Lord Ryugen
No idea mate, but uncontrolled or not it's still one of the best powers there is. And I could always train myself while jumping from body to body

Cyclops
Perhaps I can now answer my own question.

Obviously, I wish I could have the Optic Blast of Cyke, that would just be awesome. But, at the same time, I would want to be a Jedi. Well, a Sith, but you get the idea.

Anyways, think about it:

Clerk: That will be $5.97
You: *FORCE PERSUADE* But I already paid.
Clerk: Yes, you already paid.

OR:
Cop: You were speeding.
You: *FORCE PERSUADE* I was going speed limit.
Cop: You were going the speed limit.

Gregory
Sort of limited practical applications, though...

Cyclops
............. huh?

Gregory
The board softwear went wierd on me for a minute. I've fixed it.

Cyclops
I saw...

I know the limitations, but even so. It is just so fitting for me.

Jason420
powers of:wolverine,spider-man,superman,nightcrawler,mystique

[LP]
This is simple, for me at least. I'd want the power to control time. Every aspect of it belongs to me. That would be awesome. I could rewind everything and fix mistakes in the past and fast-forward to see and visit the future. Not only that, I could speed up and slow down time, bullett-time. I'd also want to be able to freeze time. I could go anywhere and nobody could stop me. I'd be the ultimate spy. Also, if i chose to, I could take people into frozen time with me, like friends and stuff, we could do anything. You would be the ultimate fighter also. 'Cause whenever anybody would throw a punch at you, you could freeze time, move out of the way, un freeze time, and then slug the person, and they'd be all, wtf?!?!?! In my opinion, the Power to Control Time is the ultimate power of desire.

---

Lobo
The power to kill people through their computer would be handy. Happy Dance

malkavian
i got a couple onez, in order of "Yeah baby" to "that's ok 2" smile

- Shapeshifter
- telepatie
- flight/superstrangth
- Gambit's Telekinetic Energy
- Iceman's Icecube gift smile

eleveninches
Magnetos power

or Gambits power raised to the training/focud level of new son's powers

Spawnie
LP is the only one that actually gave thought to this thread. The only thing about your wish is that u have to have some limits. No superhero power goes without some kind of limit. Doesn't that make the wish more human? U know, all that stuff about that in life u always need some kind of balance of power. Actually u need always balance, in any aspect of your life. Let's just say that we could limit your range of time freeze and the time that u can spend inside of it. And let's say that u can expand your abilities by using them more continuosly. Now doesn't that sound better? More human? More exciting? big grin

Actually your idea is great and it was adopted in a manga comic called JoJo. They had also an animates series, and the main bad guy is called Dio. Dio in Italian means God. In this comic some ppl in the world have the power to use some kind of alter. Well the alter is like your alternative psicological personality and power. The more they use their alter it gets stronger and easier to use. Dio's alter is called "The World" and it has the power to freeze time. Dio on his own is an immortal, kinda like a vampire. He can only freeze time in a limited frame and only for short time, but in that time frame he can move very freely. The only thing he didn't count on was the main good guy called JoJo. He has the alter of Star Platinum, and he is fast as the speed of light. His alter is medium range, well it means he can move the alter from himself at a medium range. I dont' know exactly how much that is but I'd say a few miles. The thing was that Star Platinum, being so fast, got somehow used to the time freeze. It all depends on how good u're with your alter. Star Platinum actually moved in the timefreeze and saved its host. Well u have to see the episode to enjoy this fully so I invite u to do so smile.

Rasta
I fail to see how that makes any sense. LP is the only one that actually gave thought to this thread.

Eh? He asked for us to pick which Superpower we would chose, hypothetically, if they were all laid out in front of us for us to chose. I thought about it, and thought Superman.

The Batman
Personally, I think there are too many flaws in LP's vision of controlling time (or lack of detailed qualification) for Spawnie's statement to be true. He may have thought about his answer, but not necessarily more than everyone else here. Personally, I wouldn't want such a power, because part of me does want it, and that would lead to terrible things.

FrothByte
Have any of you ever watched the movie time machine? the movie explains why time travelers can never change the happenings in the past no matter how many times they go back in time.

[LP]
I saw time machine, and I'm not saying that I want to go back in time to change things, but go back, almost like a visitor, a traveler. That, in itself would still be awesome, in my opinion.

---

eleveninches
I think it would be cool to have the power that Bill Murrey did in the film "groundhog day". I know it isn't comic book related, but it would be cool to be able to do whatever you want without suffering the consequenses.

It might get boring eventually though

DemonicGambit-2
I want the will of my imagination. I imagine it, then it becomes so. I saw this on a ep of Buffy. And I couldn't help but think that'd be cool to do that

FrothByte
Well i guess just travelling back in time to watch things happen does sound interesting. as for what superpowers id like, i think i'l take something simple... say perhaps never ending endurance.

Spawnie
DemonicGambit - ok, nice idea, but I thought about that once too, and I came to the conclusion that I would do more damage then good with that kinda power.

Ok, I'll explain it to u.

The thing is that all your thought wishes would get materialized. So u would have to be careful all the time what u wish for while contemplating about a simple sandwitch. Your wish is kinda tricky so u would have more problems then solutions for yourself. Your parents would probably knock u out silly each time u would think too much, lol.

groundhog day was some funny movie, I liked it very much and yes it would be cool if it happend to me too, but I would put one week limit to it, lol. When he started to kill himself in many ways, lol, oh boy that was some funny shit.

About the time stopping, have u guys seen an old episode of the TwilightZone(don't know if it's spelled right), the thing was in Black and White. It was about a man that got a portable stop watch, and every time he clicked it the time in the whole world stopped. Wooohooo ha, very nice indeed. The guy stopped time any time he needed something, and eventually he got verey greedy and thought about robbing a bank vault. Well, since he is the only one moving in the time stop he had to do it all by himself. Hi hi, well in the rush of things somehow he dropped the watch and broke it, thus leaving him alone amongst millions of ppl that r now no more then wax statues. big grin U like? It's an old classic but with a cool story.

Deus_ex_Machina
how bout the superpower to get a girl would be nice

besides that flying would be nice, i always wanted the sky

[LP]
Demonic Gambit-2, and Spawnie, just to let you know, that whole, imagine it, create it power, yeah, that already exists. What power did you think Green Lantern has? Hir ring gives him that power. Anything he imagines, he can create through the power of the ring.

---

LordRevan
All of superman's powers but not his weakness and the power to shape shift like mystique and control the weather like storm

The Batman
I'm not an expert on Green Lantern rings, but it was my impression that they mainly dealt in force fields.
What Spawnie and DemonicGambit are talking about is different. In the episode of Buffy they mentioned, an unpopular, depressed young man cast a spell that changed people's minds and also his own physical abilities to become someone he wasn't.
This is closer to something that Franklin Richards could accomplish, given time to master his abilities. Lord Ryugen mentioned Proteus's powers. What he really wants is Franklin Richards's powers. Proteus has to jump from body to body, murdering his hosts, and has an intolerance for metal. Franklin Richards also has the ability to reshape reality in accordance with his imagination, plus powerful psychic abilities, and he doesn't require a host body. That's the power package you really want, if you want to remake the world in your image.

SuperNova
X-Ray vision... The kind that can only see through clothes... No reason... REALLY....

And I would want a symbiote... A SUPER SYMBIOTE!

[LP]
Batman, I DO know a lot about Green Lantern, and I'm telling you, that the power that you are refarring to, is all in Green Lantern's Ring.Trust me.

---

The Batman
You gotta recharge that thing every day. It seems to me that you could get stranded for a while and not be able to recharge.
I still maintain it would be better to be the brat from the Fantastic Four. He may need a nap once in a while, but he doesn't rely on an external power source. Little Franklin Richards is a self-sufficient god. That and he has a hot mom, a cool dad and the most kick-ass uncle ever (that is, Ben Grimm, not his biological uncle).

eleveninches
Yeah, franklyn richars is cool. he's so powerful that even the celestials are concerned about him, and the best thing is that hes only a little kid. Imagine how powerful he will be when he grows up.

I would like to see a fully grown franklin richards (with full control over his powers) against someone like Genis or Thanos or someone like that.

Lord Ryugen
I think a teenage Franklin appeared in a comic about Spiderman's daughter. He was part of the Fantastic 5, Franklin Richards, Sue Richards, Big Brain (Reed Richards brain in a little floaty thing) and of course Ben Grimm, the ever lovin blue eyed Thing.

[LP]
Batman, you don't have to recharge the ring anymore. In the new Green Lantern Comics , Kyle Rayner is the Green Lantern, and he upgraded the ring at the central battery on Oa. He no longer has to recharge his ring, nor is he weakened by the color yellow.

---

kal-el
HE IS THEREFORE ALMOST UNBEATABLE!

Spawnie
I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Green Lantern, so u'll have to excuse me. Why in the world was he weakened by the color yellow?????
What kind of stupid crap is that? Couldn't they find something else? Has he been traumatized with OJ when he was a kid? U'll have to explain this, so I don't make fun of it anymore. :P

Have u guys seen the movie Dark City? All that stuff about altering realities and phasing is in that movie. If u haven't seen it then run to the video store and rent it. Very funsky.

And yes, ppl with telekinesis and extreme mind powers could rule all. Unless u have that Magneto helmet on big grin.

Think about some powers that u could hide easy so u don't bring the whole world's armys on your ass. Not that u guys would mind that too much right? Your would enjoy ripping apart tenks and bend them just with a mere thought. Yes, true that would be fun, but still u gotta have friends on earth, and ppl that r not scared of u.

Lord Ryugen
I thought the Green Lantern's weakness was wood.

The Batman
No, that's.... uh... who is that? The wood thing sounds familiar. Oh well.
Yeah, the color yellow thing is a pansy-ass weakness. I'm sure it has to do with the UV spectrum or whatnot. You know what that means, don't you? It means that when Wolverine first appeared, he could have beaten the whole Green Lantern Corps. That doesn't sound right, somehow.
I want a ring upgrade from Planet Oa! Someone should make me one with the most powerful weapon in the universe. Then I'd set everything right. cool

Raventheonly
Back on subject, telekinetic abilities to the degree were i can compress matter into fire or at a distance cause a piece of wood to detonate like a nuclear weapon or forge the very air into weapons. Thats the power for me....

Lord Ryugen
I don't know if it was ever a comic but the Neo Mitochondria from Parisite Eve would be too damm cool

Spawnie
Raven do u know what u're asking for ? smile U would have to be able to rearrange things at their mollecular level or sub atomic. I don't know man, I think it's kinda too complicated to be acomplished by a human mind. Anyone plz tell me if this has ever been adapted for any hero or villan in comics or movies, etc.

Cyclops
^ I dont know of any.

Gregory
I think Firestorm has an ability like that.

The Batman
Yeah, Firestorm does.

I created my own character who has such powers as well. Unfortunately, I have a disordered mind that is easily discouraged when it comes to writing my stories.

Characters like Kevin McTaggert and Franklin Richards have an easier time of recreating reality than people like Firestorm and the hero I made up. They act as though it's magic, with little or no concentration on the molecules and energy they are changing. Franklin and Proteus have/had the maturity of children, and they just act on their whims and wills. It's too much power, but it could be fun.

punkyhermy
i think i'd want telepathy like martian manhunter

The Batman
Think about that a while, punkyhermy. Telepathy requires massive willpower to avoid abusing it and being abused by it.

Spawnie
That's what I've been trying to tell u ppl dammit! Have u seen the movie Rose Red? Or Sixth sense? Ppl, we have to agree on something, and that is that mind control powers and such r extremely deadly to the user. When u try to materialzile things or move them, or displace or whatever, u're actually putting lots of brain activity into one thing, and if u're distracted for one millisecond u can blow yourself up or u could do it to someone else. Oh I have the perfect example for u guys, the anime Akira. I hope u all have seen that one, cuz if u haven't then u shouldn't be talking about telekinetic powers! See what happends to a boy that also got his telekinetic powers by mere technology. The whole thing, the whole innormous power consumed him, cuz he didn't have the control capacity and phisiology. U have to understand that any intense brain activity affects your whole body. That thing with magic is a bunch of bs, I don't like it. Even Willow from Buffy said that making a pencil levitate is all about controlling your emotions. Buffy said something about Faith and the pencil wasn't levitating anymore it went into a tree. I hope u guys get my idea.

Cyclops
Of course abilities of the mind are very deadly and powerful. They are very easy to abuse to, which is, in my opinion, is why they attract people to them.

To be like Charles Xavier would be incredible. To be able to make a person do or think what you want? That is amazing!

Raventheonly
Exactly thats why we chose them, i understand that powers delt with the mind are dangerous and ruinus, for example Raven.... suffers all her life but not do to the powers but the temptation of evil in her heart. She pretty much had the emotions thing down at an early age. confused

The Batman
It's only useful if you're using it on an enemy or if you are a corrupt, evil person. Otherwise, it's a hollow experience, being able to control someone against their will.

I wasn't necessarily warning about telekinesis as a power. Yeah, that might be a strain on you, but if you mastered the basic ability, it could be useful in everyday life (damned if I'm gonna cross the room to get the TV remote ever again) as well as heroic activities.
It doesn't hold the same kind of corruptive power that telepathy does. Telepathy breeches the walls of privacy that are required for people to keep their sanity. I'm not just talking about how Xavier preaches about the evils of violating people's privacy. The person who allowed others' thoughts into their head could easily go nuts if he or she didn't block out all the noise.
Spawnie referred to a "Buffy" episode. With regard to the dangers of telepathy, there are two episodes of "Buffy" that illustrate (with no subtlety whatsoever) my point. In one episode, Buffy gains telepathy from a demon and nearly goes insane. In another one, Evil Willow (who was already insane) has her mind opened to all people on the planet, and it drives her futher into wacky land.

Gregory
I'm convinced. Given the ability to have the powers of any superhero, I would not want telepathy. It's Superman for me, I guess.

punkyhermy
yeah u guys have a point there but,every good thing has a bad side to it just as nothing is completely risk-free.Telepathy is strong thing indeed and can be abused or get hurt by it.But i think wat really then matters is wat you want.is your temptation to have it as a power more or the drive to refuse because of negative effcects overwhelming.So it's simply a matter of wat's important to you.
secondly,when it comes to anything infact,including "super" powers,there is always a chance to abuse and get abused by them.That's something inherent in the whole "superpwer" package!

punkyhermy
And thinking about it,i'd like to amend my statement earlier about wanting to have telepathy as a super power.I'd really prefer a strong sense of will power,si,ilar to bats'.I know it cannot be classified as "super" but that power alone can take one to heights.look wat it did to batman!

Spawnie
Yeah I c your point, but what u mentioned u can't get just like that. That kind of strong will and dedication had built on them. Batsie had severe childhood trauma, that was the trigguer for all the strong will he has. BAtsie is a loaner, he likes working alone, cuz he don't wanna see his friends get hurt. Strong will is a thing of character, and dammit sometimes u have to be born with it. It's a cool observation, but when I think about the Bat all I see is emptyness and a very loanley man. He makes up all that in battle, that's why he is so driven in his tasks.

I see u guys finally agree on some things that me and The Batman have layed out for ya smile. I'm glad that we have layed out some facts that r to be thought about. Telekinetik powers and others like it r more likely to be harmless to ppl at very young age. The bad part of it is control. If u can contain it while still at young age, then u have a chance of becoming a very powerful and dangerous person. Kids can make their emotions very simple. (also includes the danger of killing parents with one thought, lol, and all cuz they didn't buy u your favorite lolly, lololol, kidding)

Lord Ryugen
Damm telepathy just isn't worth the effort. I'll stick with the powers of Proteus or Mikahal Rasputain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.