Seperate Tolkien Literature area

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Note that this is no guarantee of anything because there are several factors that influence this sort of thing and the front page is getting very large.

But in theory, to keep people all the happier- and it cannot be denied that the LOTR area is very popular- would people be interested in a seperate area to talk about the books- whether the Hobbit, LOTR, or Tolkien's other Middle-Earth works- so that film fans and book fans can come here and discuss without any huge clashes?

Or do you think that will be a bad idea? it could be difficult to implement, with a lot of crossover, and you may feel there is no need.

Regardless, I think it would be useful to gather opinion.

sauron
*raises hand* i would yes indeed i would

Exa
I think a seperate area for that would be a great addition for the forums as it's often a little confusing here with the mixing of film- and book-concerning posts.
Im sure many people would really welcome that possibility

A tolkien-literature-area might probably also be a magnet for more users.

Ushgarak
Hang on... we have one vote each. Did one of you not vote or vote wrong?

CaPtaInCLaUdiA
Aye!!

make seperate area!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

sauron
erm..i said i would like one...then cliked it on poll

i was just wondering where the no came from?? probably someone just pressed it and then left without saying anything??

confused

Exa
I voted for yes but my internet connection had a little error so it took I think several minutes until it was counted.

Ushgarak
Okidokey, votes seem fine now.

sauron
so who did vote no confused or is that just some error??

Ushgarak
Someone must have done.

(shrugs)

telcontar
i think it would be a good idea to have a seperate area for tolkiens literature, as the ppl who are fed up with the actors threads etc can have a seperate area away from that to discuss the actual stories and tales and meanings within the books etc.

samIam
ohhh i meant yess ... eek change it .. I didin't get it OHHH Yeah I want a book section!

sauron
whoah ok no has jumped to two......how did that happen everyone has said there should be so far

*is scared of self voting poll*

Iirima
Uff da, sorry that was me. I voted no. Too soon. I should really think before voting. Aargh. *bangs head on hobbit door* I mean yes. Take one vote off of no and put it up on yes. I don't know if that's possible...AARGH! *is mad at self*

Ushgarak
Some people do post without commenting, y'know!

Let them vote- we shall see what comes.

sauron
yeah i know they do...but it was samiam and Iirima who voted no...both by accident....

samIam
i think it is just my brain can't think straight sooo i put no ..GRR * smacks brain!*

i think it is a brilliant ida to separte them

Ushgarak
Ok, but try not to do that- it is highly abusable. I can do it now because I count six yays and only 4 yay votes, but after a little while that becomes impractical.

Iirima
Okay, sorry Ush, I'll try to think in the future.

Camellia
Well, if members cannot except that there ARE people that haven't read the books and just want to discuss the films, then a separate section is a good idea...if it will prevent arguments!

Fëanor
yes...definately a book area...And I shall be master of all...HAHAHA

hehe...ahem...sorry embarrasment

jorgeiscool
If it becomes two boards, where would you place a board that compares the book to the movie or something along those lines (I haven't voted yet, not sure what i would want)

shadowy_blue
I vote Yes. yes

It will be better (if not the best) in my opinion, so that the people who have read the book and want to discuss about it could go in this thread without having some mix-up from the movie. I always see some threads where a certain thing is being discussed and some people were like, "Is that from the book or the movie?, and so some number of people are confused. I also miss having in-depth discussion with the books sometimes without anybody saying, "huh? I'm confused." At the same time, people who wants to know something about the book could also go here, ask some things, and clear some things up. smile

Ushgarak
Yes, that is a complication and a problem.

In theory, the mod will make judgment calls.

Discos
now being a "top dog" (perhaps top eagle) around here nowadays has made my opinion some what more of value than before for some reason, I am apart of the "top folk" on this forum but I am not a sheep... I am the one who voted "no"

I voted no because I think we should just post what we think of the book on this forum, no new forums need to be made I think. I would much just stay as a comunittee on one forum dudes....

Discos - the voice has spoken

Discos
perhaps new mods will have to be made, will that be Kit & Mah, as Kit knows a great deal about the book

Kitoky
Dang! I went to vote for yes but then I accidently clicked the stupid no button mad

@Discos, that would be a problem.....

Discos
sorry dudes for not being "onboard" with the idea of having a new thread, I rarely leave this forum (tbh I am just lazy), and this 2 forums going back and forth will just make me sweat

Discos - sweat like a mule I say

mah
Yes please.

Discos
Howdy mah, nice to see you again, unfortunatly I cannot stay and talk,
*whats that mr Bed, you want me now?*

Discos - sorry but the bed is incharge of me untill 7am tomorrow!

Aurora
I vote yay... I think it would be a wonderful Idea... there is soo much more to Tolkien than LOTR and the Book forum just doesn't seem to be the place to post it.... plus it would cut down on fights between die hard books fans vs. Elf fans. LOL

Smodden
yes thanks discos for ur vote.....i voted no......*don't jump on me all at once*

i fear that it is an unneeded split and would devide lotr fans rather than unite them. I think it would compartmentalizes fans into two separate groups that you belong to. I can see dislike for ppl who havn't read the book-(example: "you stupid moron...go back to the movie board... your not wanted!)

it would devide ppl further by spliting up ppl i already know here....going to "their" forum and not visiting the other one... just my opp. and i hope others...

shadowy_blue
But smod, just my opinion but there's no problem if some people from the movie forum will also go to the book forum to ask and clarify some stuff. We will be even pleased to answer their questions whatever they are. And I don't think no one will be calling names. Except if that particular poster is really rude and does nothing but to bash and comment unnecessary and blantantly stupid things.

And I also have been to some other forums and I could see that some of them have some divisions. There's an entirely separate forum for the book and a separate one for the movie and I didn't see any problem with the members. They're not divided or anything. They are all still LOTR fans. smile

dileno
A separation would be great, indeed!

Ushgarak
Kitoky, I edited your vote for you- but you do know that as mod you can do that yourself!

pip-foot
I agree with Smodden, i voted no, because my computer is slow as it is, and it would be difficult to go back and forth between to forums, and also that it would split up all the fans, and If half were here and half somewhere else. Plus, some of the great people here would leave and go to the other forum, and it just woulndt be the same sad

Phoenix
I vote yes! Because then the fangirls (and there is nothing wrong with fangirls by the way big grin)) can obsess over actors and special fx, and the book-geeks ((also nothing wrong with book geeks - i'm one!)) can discuss silmarillion and philosophy and stuff.

I would go between both!

hmm, am i a fangirl or a book-geek today...?

Smodden
i still think that some of my fave peeps would stick to ONE forum and not visit the other one....example:

Bob Joe and Sally.....love the movies and only visit the MOVIE FORUM...

I want to get Bob Joe and Sally's oppinon on something about the book, so i post a thread in the MOVIE FORUM about Tom Bombadil.....It would immediately be removed because it dosn't relate to the MOVIE FORUM....and Bob Joe and Sally would not get to see it....

Spliting the forum is a VERY BAD idea in my opp.

and if this happens, remember the warning of the messenger of Manwe on top of the mountain forbiding you to do this deed....and if you leed them further...the valar will turn their back on you....and you will have to live a life without them...

Ushgarak
Uh... huhhh... please do try and keep things to the point.

The Star Wars areas suggests that segregation would NOT be a result of this.

In any case, the popular vote looks very clear.

And if your examples are only interested in the movies, then a Tom Bombadil thread would be totally irrelevant to them. Why the heck would you want a Tom Bombadil thread opened in an area for people interested in something completely different? Frankly, they would be happier that you were not taking up space. If you are desperate for the opinion of someone, PM them. But your argument that people won't see things that have nothing to do with the area they like... strikes me as a PLUS point, not a negative.

Thorondor
i want to change my vote i clicked no by mistake sad

Ushgarak
When did you vote?

Thorondor
ermm about half hour ago maybe.

Ushgarak
Ok, done.

Do be careful, folks!

Smodden
but ush i prefer that all lotr fans should share ONE thread so we can share are oppinons with everybody NOT just with a part of the fans...

Where would threads about both the MOVIE AND THE BOOK go?

plus i think its a bad idea that you have to talk about the BOOK or the MOVIE...not both...unless their in dif threads...

and i'm sure movie goers would like to know about tom....
the boards would be onesided and would exclude others.... I've been here for 6 or so months and havn't had a problem...why change it?

Thorondor
Make a Tig Party(book)
Make a Tig Party(movies)

stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Because plenty of others DO have problems, and their votes reflect that.

And no... people interested in only the movies have no reason to be interested in Tom Bombadil.

Placement of threads is up to the mods.

Thorondor
fair do's

Smodden
yes fair enough and you def have to count all opps not just mine....so you have mine now......

fini
hmmmm thats a great idea. Why didn't we think of this LONNNNGGG ago. So we didn't have to be arguing or putting up with the people who were tooo damn lazy to even read the books. And this way we avoid all the unnecessay questions.

BUT WAIT what will this have to do with KMC..........cause the rest of tolkien lit isn't movies

Ushgarak
Well, there are plenty of non-movie threads out there. Movies are at the heart but KMC is a diverse community.

Schizo Freak
i think it is easier for people who love both the book and movie to view all the threads relating to lotr, if there is just one lotr forum area thingy uhhh yea....

pip-foot
yes, i think that it is just easier not to switch back and forth between forums smile I want all of us just to stay together in one place and not split up sad

pixie1
why cant there just be three forums then you could have one for the books one for the films and one Comparison.that way everyone would be happy and i would be less confused.

Kitoky
Now that I think about it, the seperation isn't all that necessary.......

Discos
yep,

I am quite happy mingling with the books/movies at the same forum, the only thing that quite annoys me is those "orlando is such a babe"

Discos - .....take it to the off-topic forum ladies

Kitoky
That's why you have me here, so I can close them. And delete them.

Discos
*cough*

Discos "who is the hottest actor"

pip-foot
yes, i would miss people if we split up. It's uneccesary, and might disrupt the bonds/friendships we have formed on this board sad

Ushgarak
It is legitimate threads they are complaining about. Kit, not ones you would close.

Kitoky
I'm not trying to make an issue, either way I'm fine with it.

Raz
Thanks for the votes everyone!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.