Annoying DVD Changes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
just figured i would post a thread on annoying and unnecessary changes to the OT DVD. i will list a couple (that i have picked up so far)...and more if and when i discover them, everyone please do the same...

let the healing process begin:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- ESB, yoda's intro scene:

luke: still...there's something familiar about this place...i feel like....

***now, in the original and SE, yoda says "feel like what" and then luke points the blaster at him...now that line is gone...WHY?
2- R2 and yoda's hysterical fight over the infamous flashlight has been dropped down a notch in it's humor sad

after yoda screams "MINE! MINE!" banging his cane on R2, luke says "oh r2, let him have it" after which R2 lets go, and his arm goes back into his little compartment...after which yoda victoriously slams the little door shut with his cane.

that last part always got a laugh out of me every time, but now the sound of the door slamming shut is gone....WHY?

thats all i have for now....anyone else?

queeq
Bad changes, bad George...

robakin
i've been a fan since '77 and i like the dvd changes. Jabba in ANH is better, Greedo is better, Palpatine in Empire is better and i even think Hayden in Jedi works better.
I'm a happy camper!

mephistodesigns
here here robakin. (although, I still wish they'd never changed Greedo at all, but this is certainly better than last time).
There were a few audio changes. Like in 97 in ANH, Leia's fire fight in the Death Star Chasm, her gun suddenly sounded like a .45. They took that out on the DVD's (which is good).
*In ESB, when R2 is spat out of the swamp creature, Luke used to say (pre-97) "you're lucky you don't taste very good". Due to a different take having better picture quality, he (since 97) says "you're lucky to have gotten outta there". That old version was one of my favorite lines.
*Also in ESB, when Chewie goes to choke hold Lando, Leia's line gets cut off mid sentence at the point where Chewie grabs Lando. I don't know if that's an accident of if its supposed to be funny? It went "Do you expect us to trust you after what you did to Han?" Now "...after what you did to Han?" gets cut off.
Other than that, I haven't really notice any other audio changes.

PVS
^^^^
i noticed that as well (leia's line being cut off)
was it necessary? hell no. does it ruin the scene?
i dont think so...but i still have to ask....WHY?

***forgot to post:

just to avoid any confrontation further down,
this thread is dedicated to letting others point out the changes they
dont like. it does not mean we hate the films or are endlessly b!tching.
so please allow those of us who are not 110% satisfied to voice our complaints
without anyone coming on here and screaming "fanboy".

ok? confused

oksmile

Quendiñoldo
Don't have the DVD's yet, but all these "changes" are making me not want to. laughing
PVS, your sig is great.....

waynerobsonuk
Well due to a mess up at the post office I only recieved mine from amazon yesterday. I would have watched them straight away but I got some way more important news from my other half..............I'm going to be a father for the 1st time....So just this once I put off watching Star Wars straight away to celebrate..LOL
But saying that.... I am going to watch them late tonight
Even with teh changes I'm still looking forward to seeing them all again.

Wayne...

OB1-adobe
OK lets end the green lightsaber debate. I have a homework assignment for someone, since I don't have the technology to do so.

It looks green in the begining, but when he gets shot in the ass by the remote it looks blue. Homework assignment for anyone who wishes to do it (Hopefully moonwalker). Post some comparison shots. and we will see.

Regardless what color it maybe, that lightsaber still needs a lot of work.

Jedi Priestess
Congrats Wayne!! May the force be with your little one wink

queeq
Annoying change: the lousy voice acting by Temuera Morrison on Boba Fett. The voice's acceptable-ish... but man, couldn't he at least TRY to sound like a ruthless bounty hunter?

Xam
Annoying change: green stuff coming out of darth's and obi1 sabers in ANH!!!!!

Quendiñoldo
I saw ESB.....I hate Temuera Morrison....

pr1983
bobba fett wasnt bad, anakin at the end of return of the jedi, f.ucking hayden christensen? it ruined it for me, also greedo shooting at han first.

PVS
i didnt mind that it was hayden, thats cool...

but he just seemed so detatched in that scene.
he only glances at luke for like a split second,
then just stares out at....???? nothing.
i dont know...were the force ghosts passing the
bong around before stopping at endor?

Cinemaddiction
Yes, all 16 words REALLY ruined the movie for me. C'mon.

Quendiñoldo
laughing
rolling on floor laughing
Happy Dance
*Plays pot-smoking '70's music....*

Xam
i think obi1 had a little bit of the green sheen cuz he looks kinda onto yoda there...trying the gay way my man!!

Reborn Again
The funny thing is about the Anakin scene at the end of E6 Jedi, Luke never met his younger father...only the older one. How come Luke smiles at Hayden if he never met the younger version? I think Lucas put Hayden in the scene to boost E3 next summer. But actually this hurts it, because Hayden shouldn't be in E6 at all.

mephistodesigns
sure he should. If you'd spent the last twenty years of your life going around on an evil murdering rampage, and you suddenly realized you were wrong and now you're good, would you really want to appear that way to your son? or would you want to show him yourself as you remember yourself good? I'd want to show my son who his father WAS not what he became. In the old version, he faded into view along side Yoda and Obi-wan and Luke easily figured it out. I don't see why he'd have trouble now. Its like okay, I know Yoda, I know Ben, so I guess since the only other jedi I've met is my dad then that must be him, 'specially since he smiled at me specifically with warmth and pride. I like it, I didn't at first, but now I think it makes sense.

queeq
It's hard to ruin a great film like ESB but the voice in the way it is now takes away the threat from Boba Fett. IN the original version he sounded like someone to reckon with, someone that could even cause Vader trouble (NOTE: he sounded like that). Now he sounds like a non-caring aussie: "K'day Vader, what if he doesn't survive? In case he does, no harm done, let's chuck another shrimp on the barbie." For a great cult character like Boba Fett, those lines are close to murder.

yerssot
that and when you go down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny

Sidewinder1988
Some changes are great. Jabba the Hutt, improved lasers, and AT LAST that Rancor scene looks somewhat believable.

However, as much as I love the widescreen clarity:

There was no need to change Boba Fetts voice.

Why does the Emperor now mention that Lukes father was called Anakin? It is supposed to be Obi-Wan in ROTJ that reveals his name!

The lightsabers in A New Hope STILL look like crap - just solid blocks of light with no soft glow as seen in ESB/ROTJ. Not only that but they made one scene turn Lukes blue saber a funny shade of green.

Some truly awful shots during the Death Star Finale in A New Hope still have not been updated. There's no point in adding amazing CGI shots when R2D2 still has black panels and you have some terrible composite shots ruining all your hard work.

There's a definite case of improving the bits that don't need it, and not doing enough to the bits that really need it.

Adding Hayden to the end of Jedi was a nice touch, but it did seem out of place, he could have at least smiled.

The things that really NEEDED improving - weren't. Granted, they updated the Rancor and Jabba scenes. Superb. But instead of messing with the sound, hiring actors to do unecessary changes, they should have concentrated on making (A New Hope especially) the EXISTING effects better - the lightsabers, the explosions in the asteroid scene, saber sparks, re-doing bad/out-dated composites, improve stop motion animations.

About the sound - did anyone else notice when Luke fights Vader on Bespin - his lightsaber ignites with his "green saber" sound - WTF?

mephistodesigns
Obi-wan didn't reveal who Anakin was, and neither does that scene. Up until that point, all we know is Vader killed Anakin, based on what Obi-wan says in ANH. Then Yoda says Anakin was a powerful Jedi. The Emperor says the boy who destroyed the Death Star was the son of Anakin Skywalker. He doesn't say "he's your son Lord Vader". He says it was Anakin's son, and to the point where Vader reveals his former identity to Luke, the audience still believes Anakin and Vader are serparate. But once they are ALL done, all new viewers will know ahead of time anyway. The new line will link to ROTS in some way. That's the reasoning behind it. It also acknowledges that the Emperor is shocked to find this out, and assumes Vader doesn't know about Luke. Now, until ROTS, we don't know if Vader did or not. We'll have to wait and see. But that seen reveals nothing that wasn't already said in ANH, which is that Anakin was Luke's dad.

The composites were all fixed. The speeder bikes look more there, all cockpit and starship window shots are very much fixed. What composites where you speaking of? I didn't see any, save for one area of the Falcon flying out of the asteroid monster's mouth from cockpit view. Which ones looked bad to you?

I agree with the ANH death star fight, they should just finish cgi-ing all the bad shots. And I also noticed that other ignition sound in ESB. I don't know what the hell that was. And the lightsabers through out the OT should just be re-rotoed to AOTC quality.

MC Mike
The Jabba Palace dance. no expression WHAT THE ****!?!

PVS
what he meant was that we, the audience do not hear the name "anakin" until obiwan reveals it in ep6...but that doesnt matter anyway with the prequels out, since those who view the films 1-6 will already know his name.

PVS
WTF indeed MCMike, i just cant watch that scene, i have to fast forward.
and thats a damn sin when you have to fast forward through ANY of OT star wars.

what got me kinda wound up was listening to GL's comments on the dvd during that film. he says that he cant see how people dont like the CG scene because the puppets look fake as well. does he not realize that things looking "fake" is not the issue here? is he that out of touch?

i for one cant stand seeing the whole freakin frame taken up by the inside of that short brown singers mouth, and the way the singer chick sticks her face in the camera...and LOOKS AT IT!!! thats just not right.
noone in the entire star wars saga has ever looked at the audience, that just cheapens any film...unless its just some goofball comedy, in which it may be welcome.

Jedi Priestess
hysterical my thoughts exactly!

yerssot
you don't like to dance?

Xam
i love the dance lollll jk its kinda gay!!!

PVS
KINDA GAY???

that would be the understatement of the year.

its was just in-your-face obnoxiously flaming cartoon garbage, not worthy of even being in a freakin pixar flick.

i find it unforgivable...i know that seems fanboyish of me,
but i really really REALLY F'N HATE THAT SCENE....*deep breath*

ok i feel better now

Superfly4000
I think George is gonna beef up how Bobba fett dies. He's definatley gonna have new versions coming out after Episode three. He's gonna add more Ewoks,fix Jabba the Hutt, fix the way Han Solo gets out of the Carbon freeze, and fix all of the explosions.

PVS
oh please mr lucas NO MORE FIXING
he's 'fixing' his movies to death

lucasfilm
one more thing that wasnt mentioned, was at the end of the "fight" between luke and the wampa in ESB, theres a sound of him turning his lightsaber off, but it's still on....

in ANH when han talks to jabba, there is this song playing, with like Obo's and flutes.. they have that sam song on the tatooine ROTJ main menu screen WTF??

and PVS, chill out about the fockin' dance scene. we all know its bad but it really isnt as bad as it could be. what if they had taken the scene from the original with the muppet and just edited it around the new song?? but i do think that the Joe Yowza character was a little tooo much

PVS
rammseincia2?

mephistodesigns
superfly--where did you hear about those changes? I never heard a dang thing about fixing the carbon de-freezing. There's nothing wrong with it. I heard about adding for altering ewoks. What Jabba scene needs fixing? he ain't gonna loose the puppet. And the explosions on the dvd looked SOOOOO much better. They all looked so much brighter with more color than I'd ever seen. In the Death Star fight, most of the explosions looked white, now they're much brighter. Same with the asteroid field. So many layers of color that have never been seen! just awesome....

Jerico
What they really should have done is included the Origional 1970 theatrical releases. Seriously.

Oh and seriously, why the **** didn't they fix the bodgy lightsaber effects when Luke first get's it in EpIV ???

queeq
You never gonna see the theatrical releases as long as GL lives.

Prozak
Thus ruining perhaps the finest moment in cinema history. Without the shock, ESB becomes half the movie it was.

PVS
its funny how when luke ignites the saber for the first time,
he almost takes ben's head off laughing out loud

you should watch the dvd dov on lightsabers, if you have not already.
in ep4, they actually used a reflective tape on the saber blades,
so apparently they could not soften the effects or take them out.

queeq
Exactly... it already is a shiny object. To paint that out's gonna be a serious job to get it right. I guess that's never gonna be perfect, and honestly, I'm happy about that.

mephistodesigns
the can't digitally animate over it? like the walls in bespin which are now windows and balconies with reflective floors you can see the actors in? c'mon. They could. Lucas said how much this cost to do (the restoration and all). I'll bet they just didn't have the money. They could so just re-animate them in Renderman (as they do now) and place the cgi footage over the old footage. It wouldn't matter that it was glowing to begin with.

Mortanius
I think the ending should have been like this:

queeq
laughing out loud

The sabres are a different matter. In Cloud City it basically meant rotoscoping the actors and add stuff in the wall area's. 'Fairly' straightforward work. In this case, first you'd have to paint out entirely the moving sabres with reflective surfaces. It takes up more room in the frame than the sticks they used in all the other films, PLUS it relfects light, there's abit of glow. Rotoscoping that out is not the problem, but it would mean you'd have to re-paint in everything that's BEHIND the lightsabres: and that is background, OB1 and Vader. And then add back the new sabres. To repaint the clothes and faces of moving people like OB1 and Vader is gonna be a hell of a job to get that right. I'd doubt it's worth the effort. It looks fine to me.

PVS
yeah, i for one have far bigger gripes with the DVD than this.
its trivial.

BTW, another sound taken out which should have stayed.
in ROTJ when R2 and 3p0 enter jabba's palace, and the big front gate
closes...and 3p0 says "oh no"...they took out the sound of the door
slamming shut....its completely silent, making the scene just....awkward.

as i asked before....WHY?

Jerico
I didnt notice Leia say 'After what you did 'to han' that being removed i mean. But it does make sense because he did betray all of them first, and then froze Solo

Red Superfly
No, dude, you missed my point completely.

It was the fact the Emperor reveals Anakins NAME. It's supposed to be in ROTJ where we find out what Darth Vader used to be known as.

Until Obi-Wan tells us Anakins name, he is just called "Skywalker" in ESB. Get my point? The audience finds out that Lukes dad was called Anakin, but Luke doesn't. I much preferred it when Obi-Wan reveals to the audience and Luke TOGETHER that Luke's father was called Anakin.

PVS
^^^^

i already had you covered dude,
check my post after hiswink

Red Superfly
Mainly the ones in A New Hope. I don't understand why they went to the trouble of putting in so much CGI, when they left in a load of dodgy scenes.

Also - haven't you noticed the "squares" that appear around the ships, particularly in space? Being on DVD, the pin sharp quality does those scenes no favours - it only serves to make the compostion boxes glaringly obvious.

Check out many of the space battles for the pixelation, and the asteroid chase sequence for some dodgy explosions (the bit where the TIEs cant fit through the narrow gap - that explosion looks crap).

Red Superfly
Cheers dude.

OK, I think they really should have beefed up the Trilogy with the scenes that were originally meant to be in there. I don't mind the Jabba scene, or the muppet dance scene, because I know Lucas originally wanted them in there.

So why didn't they just carry on doing this? Do a LOTR style beefing up of the Trilogy - a Directors Cut, rather than trying so hard to cover up the plotholes that the prequels are creating.

They should have spent the time retouching existing scenes, redoing certain scenes in CGI (a lot fo the Death Star dogfighting still looks crap), and doing up effects that really needed it. Granted, the Rancor scene now looks fantastic, but what about Boba Fetts jetpack fire? What about that stupid "black slug" touch up job on the Emperors hood in ROTJ? All minor paper-cut like gripes that need fixing.

Here are some cool LOTR style additions that would make sense.

- Lucas originally wanted Boba Fett to blast out of the Sarlecc pit with his Jetpack after being eaten. This is one change I would ADORE. It was his original plan, and it would also please me as a Fett fan. Lucas didnt know how popular the character was to become, and so he was killed off in a slapstick manner. This is one thing I still do not understand as to why it has not been put in. It's no different to the Jabba scene in ANH.
- C3PO ripping the sticker off the Wampa Ice Creature bay on Hoth.
- Biggs and Luke at Anchorhead - Biggs death would mean much more
CHANGING LINES WE ALL LOVE HOWEVER IS A BIG NO NO!

Mr Zero
This is a major gripe indeed.

Can we all agree in this thread that the cosmetic changes to the ships and FX we can live with and in some cases agree are an improvement, but any time GL tries to edit dialog, change events or add scenes it's a big old turd-bath.

GL: Get in the water is lovley.

Fans: But George, i can see turds floating in the water....?

GL: Thats not turds thats ..um..bath salts. it makes the bath BETTER!

Fans: But - they are brown and they stink, cant we just have a plain old simple bath with water?

GL: Its turd-bath or nothing fanboy, and you owe me $50 for squezing it out.

Mr Zero
I hate that frikkin jaba scene - it was much more tense having jabba as an unseen threat right up till ROTJ - and putting him in ANH makes it feel like Han is in less danger in ESB as they part on semi good terms.

Plus Jaba aint the kind of guy who would let somebody walk on his tail. Not the Jabba *I* remember anyway.

Oh and did anyone else watch the "Coming soon" movie trailers on the dvd? You can see a part of the C3PO ripping the sticker off clip in the ESB previews. I near came in my underoos.

Red Superfly
Yeah I meantioned that in some other post.

It's also a scene that I was hoping they would have "done a Jabba" with and restored/editted back into the movie.

I don't see what was wrong with it, 3PO rips the sticker off, Stormtroopers stumble in, and we hear a very familar "ROARGGGH!" and random laser fire and screams. The original idea was to have them running rampant around the base knocking ice walls down and such, but it would have been great to see 3PO do something very cool like that. It would also explain why he was lagging behind.

Jedi Priestess
blink I must have missed this

Reborn Again
Why did Lucas take out Luke's scream in ESB when he's falling at the end of Cloud City after getting his hand cut off? He put it in in the SE, but took it out in the dvds?

mephistodesigns
cuz it was useless. he willingly leap off, he wouldn't scream like a coward. He's Luke MotherF'n Skywalker!!! He's a hero!!! But yeah, he pulled it cuz it was lame.

Darth Jello
well, i know you guys are all complaining about the sound but are you sure that these effects were removed? the DVDs have a pretty bizarre sound mix and if you play the most high tech surround mix thru two stereo speakers it sounds like watching the movies after 4 hours in the front row of a sonic youth show. as for Temura morrison, I like his voice. If there was a Marvel Knights or Daredevil animated series, could anyone else see him playing Bullseye?
as for the stuff I would have done differently- you can still see Alec Guiness' glow stick in ANH, completely remove it, remove the arabic numerals from all displays and add in alien text (why did they leave that in?), digitally alter the ANH rebel radar so that it looks like dooku's from episode II, add all the planets from the saga and clone wars cartoon(other than Hoth, Dagobah, Alderaan, Illum, and Mustafar) to the end of ROJ and finally retool the end of jedi as follows-alec guinness and yoda appear. Hayden appears. Alec Guinness becomes Ewan McGreggor circa Episode III. Yoda grows much younger and we finally see him with a full head of hair.

Jerico
Word is Lucas hates Boba with a passion.

Superfly4000
Did anyone notice that Lucas kept randomly saying what he would do to the movies in the Audio Comentary. Like when he said that he "would" have yoda hopping along Luke in the training sequence. Or when he said he "would" have more digital ewoks. Or when he said he "would" fix the Bobba Fett death scene. He was definately dropping some major hints.

mephistodesigns
I doubt it. He talked a lot about alternate scenes and possibilities. I don't think he's gonna use 'em.

JERICO--Where'd ya read that? I know he said he's shocked such a minor character has such a following, he even said that if he'd known he'd be so loved he'd have shown him fly up outta the Sarlacc. That sounds like nutin' but luv ta me...

queeq
People sometimes even scream while bungee jumping... They jump voluntarily... It looks like rather a big fall... and Luke's human...

PVS
its a fantasy queeq!!! stick out tongue

people usually scream for hours or pass out from
the pain when their hand is severed. the defiance in luke
was far better expressed with his silence. when he was screaming,
he seemed like
"thats it, im going to jump *jumps* NO WAIT!!! BAD IDEA!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"

mephistodesigns
I concure! big grin
As for the Emperor scene ruining who's Anakin....don't the Prequels already do that? Can't ANYONE please try to watch these and think of them as one coherent story? And who cares if we find out the same time as Luke? That's so nit picky! I'm not as mad as I sound, that just seems a terribly lame complaint...

PVS
it sucks because its another example of GL imposing his
order of the films on us. for those who choose to watch it 456123,
the name is just dropped on our heads. GL=control freak

amity75
While watching ROTJ I couldn't figure out why the rebel ships had to fly closer to the star destroyers to avoid the devastating lazerblast from the Death Star. Couldn't they just have flown round the other side of it away from the lazer hole?
On the topic note, I didn't really have much to complain about. Temeura Morrison didn't sound hard at all but the Hayden scene at the end WAS pretty emotional. In a generations time people who are watching them for the first time in numerical order will weep at that scene.

OB1-adobe
The death star can turn on its axis. Getting close to the star destroyers ment that it would be pretty stupid for the Empire to fire a weapon that powerful near their own ships.

queeq
Wasn't that complictaed a tactic to understand, was it?

Jerico
It's like why didn't they swing around and shoot the AT-AT's in the ass instead of flying at there front smile

Then we have the mysterious disappearence of the Imperial fleet when the Death Star explodes, including the remenents of the garrison and at least 1 AT-AT walker that was left on Endor

queeq
Thos ships are big enough to use a cloaking device right? wink

mephistodesigns
PVS--Yeah, Lucas is a total control freak! What kind of a moron would want you to watch their creation in the order it was meant to be scene. I have the same problem with Tolkein. I think its much better to start with The two towers, then Fellowship, then Return of the King. Because that's the order I read it based on when I could check it outta the library. I like it in that order. Everybody just says read it in the order he wanted you to and I just go hell no man! That Tolkein is a total control freak too! Just like Lucas. Were'd he learn to count anyway? 1-6? OW! That's crazy! It's too crazy....

mephistodesigns
roll eyes (sarcastic)

mephistodesigns
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing What the f**k? wacko yes

PVS
guess you never saw godfather2

one of the greatest films of all time, and NOT in chronological order.

the second act (half of it) took place in the past, with deniro playing a young
vito corleone...so does that mean that coppola should come out with
GODFATHER SE, and put them in the 'correct' order?

PVS
btw....were you being sarcastic? wacko stick out tongue

Darth Jello
well, the godfather movies, specifically godfather part 3, is the exact reason why I don't want to see a sequel trilogy

PVS
GF3 was HORRIBLE, and i came to the same conclusion as you.

Red Superfly
Lucas said the story essentially revolves around Darth Vader.

With the main protagonist dead - what will they do?

Maybe the suit of Darth Vader lives on, and comes back as the living dead. Luke gets beaten up, and it's up to Anakins ghost to stop the undead Vader in:

Star Wars Episode 7: Zombies In Space

The title even compliments Lucas' affinity of B-Movie serial titles.

Look for more exciting additions to the Star Wars saga with:

Star Wars Episode 8: The Gungan Chainsaw Massacre

and

Star Wars Episode 9: The Search For More Episodes.

PVS
well, we're way off topic now.
ill share the blame for bringing godfather into this laughing out loud

Red Superfly
I also blame you.

PVS
well thank you for clarifying that for me stick out tongue

PVS
^^^^
blame roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud stick out tongue

Red Superfly
Heh heh, alriiiiiight......

Mr Zero
y'know he did re-edit it into chrono order for a special Tv edition. sorry.

PVS
oh that crappy tv edit doesn't count.
but either way mr.zero, i believe the tv series goes:

1-godfather1
2-godfather2(deniro/past)
3-godfather2(pacino/present)

so its still out of order
and your out of order
this whole damn threads out of order

stick out tongue laughing out loud

OB1-adobe
Getting back to topic: I'm starting to wonder if they didn't even re-roto the lightsabers in ESB at all. If they did, barely. They look pretty good though. So I'm not complaining.

Oh and I've never seen the Godfathers, so I can't comment on that. I guess part 3 is suppose to be really bad, and the first two are like the greatest movies ever made. Oh and I havn't seen Scarface Either, or Goodfellas. Gangster movies just never came my way. I was never exposed to them.

queeq
The repainted the sabres using the original negatives. They even changed the flashes, whoch were, funnily enough, originally just pices of yellow explosion bits that looked like they were cut out with scissors and just stuck them on one frame when the sabre's clashed. Now they are... green...

Mortanius
Look for more Lucas screwing with the original films in the new Super Archival Editions coming to a store near you in 2010.

queeq
laughing out loud

DirectorFitz
I don't know why everyone is so mad.

It is stated that this is the way George Lucas wanted to do it in the first place. People just fell in love with the wrong versions. I like these better. but that's my opinion

mrkphllps
Shut up! You Troll

Mr Zero
I love your style of argument.

I use that "your dumb FACT doesnt count" thing all the time myself. props!

queeq
Language people... language...

Gangularis
GL is almost or IS 60 now...

30 years ago he still didn't know how he wanted it.. with all the edits and script changes, ect.

when you release your movie, it's supposed to be the damned final draft/cut.. and lucas keeps going on editing and cutting and adding as he pleases.. and it's sick...

god how i wish the studios owned the rights to these damn movies....

Gangularis
os.af

yerssot
few things to Gangularis:

- Looked it up, GL is 60

- He said on numerous occassions that his movies are never finished only abondend... they escape...

- Good for you you want the rights owned by the studios, if that were true, that tv serie would have started in 1978, we would have had twice as much movies as Star Trek by now and the quality would have gone so down that JP3 looks great compared to it

yerssot
few things to Gangularis:

- Looked it up, GL is 60

- He said on numerous occassions that his movies are never finished only abondend... they escape...

- Good for you you want the rights owned by the studios, if that were true, that tv serie would have started in 1978, we would have had twice as much movies as Star Trek by now and the quality would have gone so down that JP3 looks great compared to it

queeq
*shudders*

yerssot
ah heck... PC screwed up... queeq, you're free to delete oneo f the two of course smile

PVS
oh chill out dude, you used a TV fact, and we are debating a film.
but either way, you are still incorrect on this matter, since the TV series goes:

1-GF1(brando)(present)
2-GF2(deniro)(past)
3-GF2(pacino)(present)

the TV edit is still out of chronological order.

the point is that there is nothing wrong with telling a story
that is not in chronological order, so long as
the transition between stories is appropriate.
the OT was it's own story, and the events and dialogue in RotJ
set the stage for the PT. there is NOTHING wrong with seeing it
456123. i dont feel like it should be dictated that we do.
it should be up to US, not GL.

queeq
True. But GL likes to see all six in chronological order. And why not? It takes a bit of the pleasure out of the OT, since Vader being Luke's father is not an issue anymore. The climactic delay of Luke knowing about his father doesn't work towards the viwer anymore. And persoannly I'm afraid GL's love for repeating themes (over and over and over again and in every storyline) may get a tad boring in the whole sequence.

BTW GF2 is past AND present

PVS
i know it is queeq, but the entire series goes:

present (GF1) past, present, past, present, past, present, past, present, (GF2)

and on tv it is out of order as well, since GF1 comes first anyway.

and yes...GL does seem to revel in breaking our hearts sad i sense he is seeking revenge sad

mephistodesigns
You know, they're you're DVD's. I'm pretty sure you can continue to watch them in any order you want. It's not like he's in your living room, right now, with a plastic lightsaber poised over your head. Is he? Omigod...if he is, blink twice for yes, once for no...
But seriously, for new generations, certain things from the OT already have lost their importance simply because they're dated. Like Lucas points out in the ANH commentary, when the next generation watches these, the cantina isn't going to be so weird and neat because now everybody puts tons of aliens in a bar. Back when we saw it, it was a cool, relatively original concept. The next generation won't bat an eye. Emphasis will change when they're watched in chronological order, but their will still be drama. Like is Vader really trying to help Luke, or does he just want help killing the Emperor so he can be head honcho? It'll just be new emphasis that we have trouble seeing because we're used to watching it from one point of view. "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view". Things one era thinks are cool, the next era may not. So for us, watching them in 456-123 is fine. Its how we experienced them, and we can continue to experience them that way. But the next generation, for the most part will see 1-6 and wil get to have THEIR OWN experience with the films. And that will add to the timelessness of star wars.

yerssot
blinkblink

mephistodesigns
um....okay...um, well, if you don't have a plastic saber of your own for defense, then RUN!! OMIGOD LOOK OUT HE HAS A PLASTIC SABER!!! Oh the humanity!
laughing out loud

yerssot
*sprints to the toilet* no expression
now what?

mephistodesigns
uh, can you pull a ewan in Trainspotting and swim away?

yerssot
*grabs a needle and gives a shot*

PVS
*SILLY POLICE*

ok, ok, too silly!!! back on topic!!!

mephistodesigns
yeah, I meant climb in to the toilet and swim for safety.... jeez yerssot laughing

PVS
well, it is required to shoot heroine before pulling off such a stunt,
an ewam proved. so yerss made a smart move...WAIT A MINUTE!!!

TO SILLY!!!

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

mephistodesigns
what was the topic? Oh yeah, your line of credit with Mother Superior is maxed out yerssot, so he'll only being accepting col' 'ar' cash neow.

queeq
PVS is applying for a mod job methinks... laughing

Mr Zero
I finished watching ROTJ in the early hours of the morning and it's true - george stuck friggin JAR JAR in at the end.

George, thanks for the good times, but i have to leave you now. I hope you get butt-raped by a bantha.

PVS
i guess you never saw that montey python skit?

mephistodesigns
I saw gungun's but I didn't see jar-jar... "are you sure your feelings on this matter are clear"?

PVS-- All roight, that's it. That skit was just too silly. Now, if we can't stop this silly-nous, we'll have to end the show!
i remember when they did that on the regular show, and I think they did it throughout "And Now for Something Completely Different" too.

queeq
I know it by heart, PVS. That too was a joke...

*stands real close to PVS* .... Do you want to come back to my place?

PVS
thought you'd never ask laughing out loud

queeq
Wrong answer.... We start again.

Officer, officer, someone stole my wallet.

PVS
laughing out loud this is soooo far off topic laughing out loud

queeq
Quite... big grin

Gangularis
omg... i just started watching a new hope without the audio commentary this time and heard the new sound kenobi makes to scare off the sand people.....

WTF IS THIS CRAP??!!

to those out there who wanna know why we're pissed... it's because yes.. these are not the movies we fell in love with at all. i want the clarity and the sound of these DVDS but i want the damn movies they were originally.. tapes of the original won't last near as long as DVDs and the quality of picture and sound absolutely does not compare to them either... i'm blown away by the stark clarity of picture on the DVDs.. i've seen tons of things so far that i've never even noticed before that mesh just fine in the star wars universe, and i love it.. then there's all of this garbage up-to-date bullshit that's completely out of place and just DOES NOT BELONG... maybe... MAYBE if lucas's artistic vision is that of what it was 30 years ago it could work.. but most of it is just sad.

lucas is disembowling his beautiful "empire of dreams" with his modern day choices and tastes. I don't know.. maybe he just needs to put his glasses back on... anyone with 20/20 vision can tell you that whatever he's seein anymore is clearly distorted.

PVS
that sound effect change was horrible.
it went from sounding like a monster...to sounding like
some cheesey 1950's scifi flying saucer sound effect.

'perfect' my ass

mephistodesigns
what the hell was that even supposed to be?Do Tuskens have sensitive dog hearing or something? What happened to it supposedly being a Krayt Dragon yell, something actually scary.....

Red Superfly
Adds "Obi-Wan's flying saucer scream" to the ever expanding list.

mephistodesigns
Maybe Tuskens just don't like sexist construction worker whistles? big grin

PVS
*ahem* that would be a "wolf whistle" stick out tongue

jedijunky1138
Folks remember, these are not our movies. They are GL's, he was just gracious enough to allow us to see his vision. I think its great that he has the chance to go back and fix what HE felt was flawed in the OT.

mephistodesigns
Yeah! THAT'S what I meant. Wolf whistle, I knew there was a term for it, I couldn't remember it though... whistle

Red Superfly
Last time I checked, We are the ones that buy them.

We own it, we bought it, we have every right to slag it off.

matador
The new sidius hologram sucks!!!

PVS
i like it far better than the original.
they could have done better with his makeup though.

JediJim
I agree PVS..

His makeup looked a little off to me, but in all it was far better than the original.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.