Yay, another computer problem. Won't let me log on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
So I'm using adaware, and my sister tries to get on. It logs her off automatically after she logs on, and she had the bright idea of restarting. Now, NOBODY can log on, and I have the recovery disc all set, I just don't know exactly how to restore everything... I figure that a System Restore might do the trick... or what else can I do? messed

JKozzy
I found basically a description here: https://secure.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/register.jsp?srid=Tz9qTNbiDpJMJPEy3Fv2yA%3D%3D&redirectURL=%2FOperating_Systems%2FQ_21060276.html&registrationSource=20

Solution Title: WinXP - logs off as soon as I log on
Date Asked: 07/15/2004 11:28AM PDT
Date Answered: 07/29/2004 11:25PM PDT

WinXP Pro computer set standalong and using the little "welcom menu" icons for logging on. After removing some spyware and an old antivirus program I rebooted. It comes up to the logon icons. As soon as I click on one, it states "loading your personal settings," flashes the desktop for a split second, the goes back to "saving your settings" and the menu.

The kicker is that it also does this in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with command prompt.

Any ideas either 1) why this might happen or 2) how I can get in to roll back to a system restore point. Looking for answers short of reinstalling or running a repair installation--which would be a last resort.
More notes:
-- Can get in to recovery console. But can't get to useful settings to help. Any way to roll back to a system restore point from recovery console.
-- Last known goo setting... options doesn't work. It thinks this is a good one.

But I aint signing up to see the solution, can anybody tell me what to do?

Silver Stardust
Err...no idea...but my computer did that once a while back no expression

§pearhead
joe...that's basically what happened to mine, and you know the story behind that erm problem is, one of my system files had been corrupted, so that screwed things royally...

yerssot
just follow instructions given to you when you recover

Clovie
re-install windows?

Jedi Priestess
how do you guys end UP with these problems? I have never had a 10th of the problems you kids seem to encounter. messed

yerssot
just use Windows more often and you'll see it's buggy wink

Jedi Priestess
gee 10 hours a day isnt enough?

yerssot
you mean the rumors where true? there is one non-bugged Windows versoin? eek!
if you play this right JP, you can make big bucks with this shifty... I can be your manager wink

Raz
Read this: http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

JKozzy
Thank you Raz, found that about an hour ago stick out tongue

But that did the trick big grin Thanks!

JP> My 13 year old sister with no knowledge of the internet creates most of the problems... do you let your kids use your computer(s)? stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.