Help me please?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

becky123
I am studying media and i need to know waht you guys think are the key elements in a horror film!in other words what makes u crap ur self the music?suspense surprise or what?Thankyou so much 4 your help guys!appreciate it!

Lord_Andres
Music is very important, Psycho anyone? gore is not so important as many think, I my self tought gore was THE key element once hehe, anyway, dark atmosfare is very good, clastrofobia is very good too, um BF or Evil Dead will probobly come up with some others

Cinemaddiction
Nothing "scares" me anymore, per se, but realism and innuendo in Horror is what makes it enjoyable these days. Too bad screenwriters fail to realize that.

Romero is a great example of realism, just hidden in a zombie flick. Exploiting human nature in extreme circumstances and the lengths people are willing to go to is super scary. He's done it in all 3 of his "Dead" movies.

Another example would be "28 Days Later", because plagues and diseases that can wipe out legions of people is VERY plausible.

Innuendo, meaning merely hinting at what's to come is usually more creepy than actually SHOWING what happens. Movies usually tend to END on the best type of innuendos, however, like the original "Blair Witch Project".

Music, not so much, IMO. A cliche soundtrack usually makes the movie too predictible. Horror likes to resort to jump scares with those stupid shrill sounds, to make up for the lack of actual scary material. SOMETIMES it will set the tone.

That said, nothing in the traditional sense of Horror being "scary" is scary any more.

Lord_Andres
ohya things that make people jump out of their seets is NOT important in a horror movie, they make you scared for like 1sec and then it's over, in fact it's one of the lowest factors in a horror movie, it dosent take a master to make people jump out of their seets, things that make you scared thouout the entire movie and maybe longer are way harder to produce, um lets say clastrofobia and sick sounds like the once in the beginning of the original TCM things that make you feel real bad, those are key elements

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.