Opening A 'Political Discussion Forum'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
Please vote!

*Thanks to Gundy for the idea!*

LadyEowyn
i wouldnt really care, cause im not into politics and stuff.

but its a good idea for those who wish to talk more about george W bush

yerssot
well, it's a "yes", but not one of the two given answers were close to my answer.
Give it a fair chance...
like the MUSIC AND TELEVISION SECTION *smacks To for nagging for it for so long and then turning it down*

ToMacco
I say no.

Having a politics forum would be inappropriate for a movie/Star Wars site.

All people would do is argue.

LadyEowyn
well if they wanna argue let them argue.

it be the posters choice if they want to be in the middle of the argument

if you dont wanna fight dont post
but it doesnt have any relation with star wars i have to admit.

Raz
There ARE politics in SW wink

LadyEowyn
but then the forum should be star wars polotics

you even know that they wont be talking about senator palpatines decisions and how it affected them.

ToMacco
It's a bad idea to open a PDF.

I'd be right in the middle of most of the arguments. And I know then you say "well, just don't post there." I shouldn't have to censor myself from reading everything here.

LadyEowyn
well post at yur own risk.
just stay on the side that everyone likes.

ToMacco
You can only agree with someone for so long.

Ignorance really gets on my nerves.

ToMacco
And another thing: I never wanted a TV/Music forum. I was illustrating that if we had a Political forum, then we might as well have other forums.

If politics does become a forum, then a sports forum is no more inappropriate, or a TV and Music. Or a forum about . . . the Rainforest. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Politics should only be discussed here in the GDF.

LadyEowyn
a sports forum would be cool.

no suggestions are being made by me.

jedi212guy
I think that it doesn't really matter, but if one is created I will post at it. We'll have a wide variety of beliefs, considering we are scattered all over the world.

Ushgarak
From what I understand, it has been suggested that Politics IS worth seperating from the GDF because of its controversial content. As opposed to things like tv and music, for which there is no good reason for them to be seperated from the GDF.

That is the reasoning behind a seperate area, so if you don't agree with that you should vote against.

Texas
I say yes, cause I dont want to read any more Geroge W Bush crap in the GDF! roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
I can already tell that I'm going to lose, and one will be created.

This site is fine just the way it is. We don't ned a damn forum on politics. What the hell does that have to do with movies? Nothing.

It's a stupid idea. We're gonna have people like that one dude "HavocHound" come in and say "All politics should go away and we should live in anarchy." Do you really want that?

You're going to scare away people with something like that.

finti
arguments are healthy, from time to time. But I must say I honostly have my doubt how a PDF woud work.

mechmoggy
I'm voting "don't care" cus I've got better things to do with my time than discuss politics, I have a serious trust problem with politicians and people who support them (too much). I won't be visiting the forum if it is started.

finti
we may trick you too evil face smokin'

mechmoggy
Help stop him!

See, the trickery and lies has already begun.....

Vote Finti (or he'll cave your head in)

Dim
Hmmm...so far we have 3 votes in each catagory..LOL..this is never gonna get decided.

Gundark
I wouldn't be using it, but some members really like to discuss political issues and I think it should be taken out of GDF, cause GDF is usually light and funny and happy.

mah
please create one. in fact it would be a personal tragedy for me if one wasn't startedsmile

Raz
Well currently the votes are FOR - but we'll have several recounts have the voting is finished....whenever that may be.

yerssot
To, you NAGGED for a music section, you got one and rejected!
BTW, I don't check the LotR section with ease, so YOU can do the same with the PDF ...
And you WON'T be involved in all of the threads, we'll be talking about politics, not you

ToMacco
yerssot, I don't think you've read everything I've posted.

I didn't nag for a music/tv forum. I said that if we were to have a politics forum, we might as well have a forum for music and tv.

I'm against expanding this site anymore than it is. It's hard enough for new people to post here, without someone telling them "You should post this elsewhere."

If you guys wanna discuss politics, then do it in the GDF. If you want to expand on that, do it in the PM.

In the back of your minds, you know it will just cause problems. I will most likely get pretty fired up about some subjects, and I will likely leave this site for good.

yerssot
I did, and you wanted it a few months ago

With that attitude it won't get a fair chance, wich it deserves

mah
it's not very difficult to know where to post. the names, and descriptions of each forum shows pretty clear what to be posted there. if you think people will get fired up because of politics discussions, then it's even better to start a new forum, to seperate that from the ones who want to have a merry time in the GDF. this SHOULD NOT bother you, cause if controversial thread titles tempt you to say something, to post an answer, you NEED NOT visit the PDF.

ToMacco
True, but people shouldn't have to censor themselves from anything at this site.

It's for FUN, remember.

yerssot
no, they don't have to censor themselves, but you are the one already nagging about how people will bash Bush (hehe, I like that spelling smile )

I don't think there is a rule here saying we have to make fun...

mah
you dont have to censor yourself! if youre not interested in participating in such discussions, just dont visit! it actually makes it easier for you! now you have to avoid certain threads in GDF, maybe without knowing that they are politics, no you just dont look in that section.

ToMacco
mah, I AM interested in participating in political discussions.

Not doing something because you know it will cause trouble is a form of self censorship.

Politics have no place at a movie site.

mah
?? you ARE interested in discussin politics, but you DON'T want it to be discussed...?

yerssot
you're not, otherwhise you would be voting YES

And you don't post because of what? Because you said you want to join in on political discussions

So does the welcome, the support, the GDF,...
and this forum was for starwars as main thing, not movies

ToMacco
roll eyes (sarcastic)

I like talking about everything. But if were going to a have a politics forum, then we should have a forum about downhill skiing, and about proper diet, and about ancient Egyptian pottery, and about climate in the North Pole.

Politics have NOTHING to do with a movie site. NOTHING!

yerssot
like I said: so does welcome, GDF, Announcements/support,...

To, you're making no sense and your defence is feeble!

mah
general discussion has NOTHING to do with a movie-site.....how do you like that To???

ToMacco
I'm against expanding the site. That should be very clear.

This place, as with any website, should have a general discussion forum. People get to know each other, and want to know more about one another.

Politics is a very serious subject, and people (myself included) take a very serious tone towards it.

yerssot
To, it may come as a complete surprise to you, to find out that there are more posters then one
(Adapted quote from Daffy Duck)

So, what's wrong with a welcome section then?

So, basicly you think a lot of people here are immature?

mah
well some people, like you, take politic discussions too seriously, and bring their bad mood to other forums, like some take it personally when their government is critisized. that's stupid.
but most users have no problem with this, so I cant find it necessary to not make the PDF because of a few users.

ToMacco
yers, quit putting words into my mouth.

And yes, mah, I do take it very seriously. Politics is very different from movies. There's no place for it here.

yerssot
Errrrrrrrrr, To ...
I only quoted you, you said those things yourself

mah
to take politics seriously is one thing, to have patriotism in such extreme degree that you get pissed because of a discussion is Stupid.

ToMacco
yers, I never said or meant that people here are immature; which you posted.

mah, being patriotic has never been more necissary. I get very angry when people don't know what the hell they're talking about.

A politic forum is just going to make people fight. We are from all over the globe, and we all have different views of government.

mah
IMO, patriotism is never necessary.

we are from all over the globe, with different views, which will be interesting to hear. if people mean the opposite of me, I still think its interesting to hear their reasons, and learn more about what they think.

yerssot
I can only concluse with THESE quotes and the other things you said, you think some people here are too immature to talk about politics... Because mature people are known to talk things out and resolve
___

Kinda like you, who like to talk about politics but doesn't want a PDF...
___

ToMacco
mah, Why is being patriotic bad?

yers, again, you're putting words into my mouth. I respect the intelegence of everyone at this site. And yes, I do like to discuss politics, but a forum shouldn't be formed.

It should be kept in the GDF.

yerssot

mah
because I've seen how it can give certain people infinite support. in times of crizis, the leader of a patriotic people will have support for everything he says, no matter how stupid it is in the long run, just if he talks about 'defending this great country that we live in' or 'God bless America'.
patriotism can make people blind about bad sides of their own country.

(I dont want to provoke, or anything, sorry if you feel in any way hurt.)

Ushgarak
Theory of Kohlberg? OOOOHHH! Get you and your subtle intellectual hints!

ToMacco
mah, that is exsactly why we shouldn't have a politics forum. We are all very different people and have very different ideas of politics.

yers, politics should be elsewhere. Maybe from time to time, in the GDF, but not a whole damn forum.

It is a bad, bad, BAD idea. sad

yerssot

yerssot
Like I said, you don't have to go there, and please, don't come back with anymore "I don't want to censor myself" because it's chit chatting without making sense

Ushgarak
Oh, pfft to your fancy "o"s

mah
To, if I say that your american patriotism is what makes you so sensible about politics you'll probably only get mad about it so I won't. well now I already did...

Ushgarak
(Bashes head against table)

Not saying things in a saying things sort of way is the sort of thing that really WILL kill a PDF, you know.

ToMacco
If I come to this site everyday and read contraversial posts in the politics forum, I will stop coming here.

Do you all want that?

yerssot
honest? JK

So, what was it with the censor thing then?

Ushgarak
Well, obviously not, but that said we can't allow that sort of thing to dictate what forums arew and aren't made; if enough people want it then it goes in, even if others would leave as a result.

mah
that's up to you, I can't see any sensible reasons for you leaving.

ToMacco
mah, it would be sensible for me.

Because I would only get mad when I come to this site. I would see no further reason for coming here if it only flared my temper.

finti
you dont have to visit the PDF To

yerssot
I don't want to censor myself

ow ... wait... I'm not To...

ToMacco
I shouldn't HAVE to, yers, you smartass smile

Raz
I'll censor for you evil face

ToMacco
NO GOD DAMN POLITICS mad mad mad

Raz, this is a horrible idea. mad

Raz
Look ToMacco.

One of the *major* reasons for creating a seperate forums is that the mods and I have agreed we don't want to mix politics and GDF topics together as its very offputting.

Creating a seperate forum will keep the GDF politics free. Most people don't like politics therefore they will just visit the GDF. Some people who enjoy debating on current affairs can do so in the PDF.

I am trying to give the people what they want!

And since you are SO against it. I'm going to add extra code so that you won't even be able to SEE the PDF once it is launched, therefore it doesn't exist for you! Happy?

yerssot
cool! You can do that Raz?

ToMacco, you're not the only person around here, so it makes not a big difference, we all know you are against it now

LadyEowyn
raz works wonders. he can do anything!!!

ToMacco
Raz, open it if everyone wants, but don't hide it from me.

finti
...cause he really wanna come and se and argue some big grin cool

yerssot
no, because he doesn't want to censor himself

Gundark
I think this entire thread has already given us a pretty good idea of a potential PDF..... laughing out loud

Raz
God I hate politics laughing out loud

ToMacco
You think I'm arguing now, wait if you open that politic thread.

Whoa, nelly! embarrasment

mah
I find your opinions to be pretty unclear, To...

1: you do NOT want a PDF to be started
2: you do like to participate in political discussions
3: you do NOT want the PDF to be hidden for you, nor do you want to use the possibilty of not visiting the PDF
4: you promise that when the PDF is started all hell will break loose.

Raz
Ah don't worry To.

You won't even notice when the forum opens wink

Ushgarak
Won't he notice that the current closed one has disappeared?

yerssot
... ... ...
sorry, bad transmitter,
can you repeat that last one again?

Raz
Yes, but he won't see it open wink

ToMacco
No no, if you open it, I DO want to participate. I just don't think we should do it.

So if you open it, let me play, too smile

yerssot
said the same guy who said that he didn't want to see the PDF open...

ToMacco
I don't want it opened. But if it is, I'll participate.

yerssot
you don't want it open, but you want to participate in it ...
what doesn't make sense?
After me still breating...

ToMacco
I don't see what's so difficult about this.

I don't want it open because it will cause problems.

But if it's opened, I'm going to voice my opinion.

yerssot
So you are going to start the troubles then?

ToMacco
If people are posting stupid things, I will tell them.

I'm not going to go out of my way to start trouble.

Just look at the pole, the majority either don't want it, or wouldn't paticipate. It seems a little pointless.

yerssot
Like other threads here don't contain stupid things... roll eyes (sarcastic)
Originally posted by ToMacco
Just look at the pole, the majority either don't want it, or wouldn't paticipate. It seems a little pointless.
Sure thing, it's 10-4, and 3 that don't chose.
So it's not pointless because it's democratic and everyone has a vote

finti
Bush is a moron evil face

Raz
Well, he was intelligent enough to get decent advisors wink

yerssot
aren't those given to him?

Raz
I think he picks them himself.

Anyway, lets keep this sort of stuff for the PDF (Political Discussion Forum) big grin

Which BTW will be opening on Ush's return on:

March 20th 2002

yerssot
wizard!

So... that makes Ush a mod huh?

(mah, that bet is still on!)

Raz
That is still to be decided.

mah
ahh, Happy days are here again, a PDF gets started!

yerssot
This will be a day long remembered...
it has seen the beginning of the PDF and will soon see the beginning of the nagging

Raz
Yep, nagging gets you everywhere with me! laughing out loud

yerssot
really? ok...

*in nagging voice*
can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money can I get your money?

finti
I wonder who`s gonna mod this

yerssot
and it's open with no mods

Raz
I'm gonna mod, with the help of some other moderators.

ToMacco
Begun, the politcs war has. sad

yerssot
what was it again? you liked politics?

Raz
Good bye thread!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.