runaways are they bad people

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chutney
are runaways wrong and do they mostly have reasons for running away
are they trouble to the world
why do people run from home and or foster homes
are they bad people

i have a friend that has run away from a foster home in a different state
she was having problems of sexual harassment and has had similar problems before. she got tired of it and ran. a lot of people look down on her but i just cant cause all she wants to do is better herself.
a lot of the kids in foster care dont belong there and all they want is to get out and back home. whats wrong with that....
well some of them there homes are bad but say you dont have any family that want you not because your bad but because most of them are to old or to poor.
what should you do? is my friend wrong in you guyes eyes? sick

Nazgulinthedark
why would they be bad people? seems to me that the pwople where they were staying would be the bad ones if they wanted to leave so much

mc pee pants
she is wrong in a way. there are better -- way better-- alternatives than running away. what would that solve... it would just cause more problems. if she really is trying to better herself, she would stay put and work on it. i know it's hard but change often is. unless her life is threatened in a way, then at least try to make sh!t work. running away is never a solution. tell her to talk to her foster parents or whoever to let her know that there are better ways to handle change... and knowing is half the battle.

Turbo-Cajun
I know they are shitty situations out there, some can be solved by other means, others cannot. Is your friend a bad person? no. Is she possible stupid? yes. Is she possibly overreacting? yes. Is she definately overreacting? no. Its hard to place your self in anothers situation so i think that it may have seemed to be right at the time, but was it neccessary? i dunno. Lots of times people think their situation is a lot worse than it really is, i dont know your friend though so whatever.

badsymbiote
I think there are absolutely circumstances and situations where it is OK-- if someone physically hurts you, and you are able to take care of yourself, absolutely. If it is mental abuse that you suffer at the hands of others, the consequences for not dealing with the problem could change you forever--this is not a black and white question. Every situation is unique, every person is unique. Some people can live quite nicely without adult help at an early age, some are so dependent on adults that they cannot thake care of themselves even by the time they are expected to do so.
If she has a job and/or a way to support herself, then she may be mature enough to live on her own. But it also demonstrates an aversion to confronting the people who upset her--if she runs away once, it's that easy for her to do it again--she could walk out on a job instead of listening to criticism from a boss or co-worker.
But you know your friend better than we (it may be easier to generalize and speculate is we knew how old she was, if she is in school or if she fled that, too)--so the question is, do YOU think she's wrong?

botankus
Tell her to hide in a closet until she's eighteen. Then she can run away for good.

Then she'll have the pleasure of paying all of her expenses without worrying about an Amber Alert hunting her down.

WindDancer
I don't want to judge your friend, but IMO if your friend has a reasonable explanation for running away then is okay. The only thing I can suggest is that you keep talking to your friend. Have a long talk and support your friend when you feel is the right thing to do. Sorry, I'm not much of a help, but the best advice is always to try to talk to your friend. I'm sure something is bound to pop out. Good luck.

Arachnoidfreak
Sexual Harrassment is definitly an acceptable reason for running away.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.