Superman Movie News And Updates

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
Dan Harris on the New Superman Movie
Source: CTV
September 25, 2004

In David Giammarco's Photo Blog at CTV, he mentions he talked to Dan Harris (X2: X-Men United) about writing the new Superman movie.

But Dan Harris assured me that this new Superman film will not be some crazy reworking of the legend as had been rumored. He said it will be similar in tone to the first two "Superman" films and will basically "pick up" where "Superman 2" left off (the best of the series, I might add!!) He hinted that even Terrence Stamp, who played General Zod so terrifyingly well in the first two "Superman" films, "figures" into this new "Superman" film...he was being coy, but it looks like he's got some big surprises in store for the much-anticipated "Superman" film.

The Blog also mentions that shooting starts in a few months.

TheFilmProphet
More on Ghost Rider & Superman Going Down Under
Source: Variety
September 26, 2004

Variety has published a new article which talks about how film production is heating up again Down Under. They mention both Ghost Rider and Superman that will shoot in Australia:

Oz execs cite several catalysts, including the opening last March of the Central City Studios in Melbourne, which will house "Ghost Rider," the Columbia pic starring Nicolas Cage, helmed by Mark Steven Johnson.

Warners has tentatively booked the Fox Studios in Sydney for its epic "Superman." Director Bryan Singer and a contingent of WB execs visited the studios two weeks ago, and the shoot -- reportedly stretching to 120 days -- is expected to start early next year.

Stay tuned for more on both of these projects.

Mr Zero
Are we still expecting to see James Caviezel as Supes?

TheFilmProphet
Yup but nothing official yet. They always like to play around with the fans before announcing anything.

TheFilmProphet
Amazing News!!!

Singer, Harris, and Dougherty Talk Superman
Source: Washington Square News
October 1, 2004

Washington Square News reports that Superman director Bryan Singer and screenwriters Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty talked about the upcoming Superman movie at NYU last week. Here's a clip from the article:

"We're going to cast an unknown," declared Singer, who signed on to direct the new film earlier this year. Dan Harris and NYU alum Mike Dougherty, the duo that co-wrote the screenplay for Singer's "X2," are in the process of penning the script.

"It doesn't require a star to go see it. It's Superman - it's its own brand - and..." He trailed off. How does one rationalize rejecting a star?

"Known actors bring baggage, in a way," Harris said. "Sort of distracts you from who really is."

The crew plans on moving to Sydney in November and will begin shooting in March.

Hit the link above for the full article! Meanwhile, Smallville star Tom Welling tells the New Zealand Herald that he'll stick to the small screen:

"It would be something to consider but I don't even let myself think about it. It's too big an idea," he smiles.

JMARDEL
I'M AN UNKNOWN ACTOR CURRENTLY TAKING IMPROV AND ACTING CLASSES IN
NYC'S PEOPLE'S IMPROV THEATER. MY GOAL IS FOR THE CASTING AGENTS TO COME TO THE THEATER TO CHECK IT OUT. FORWARD THIS MESSAGE AND YOU MAY BE SEEING THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE IN 2006.

SINCERELY,

JORGE MARDEL
INTERN LIGHT/SOUND

SEARCH FOR THE PIT ON THE INTERNET AND IMPROV YOUR LIFE

TheFilmProphet
What????

TheFilmProphet
October 3, 2004: More from Singer on Superman
Washington Square News published an indepth article about the coming of the new Superman movie, which includes quotes from Bryan Singer, Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty in regards to how they plans to tackle various aspects of the film. Here are a few excerpts from the article...

The undetermined name behind the lead role is a curious decision, considering that everyone from Nicolas Cage ("white trash Superman," scoffed Harris) to James Caviezel had been in talks to play the part. Singer, whose use of Kevin Spacey in "The Usual Suspects" brought the then-little-known actor an eventual Academy Award, is confidant about his decision.

"It doesn't require a star to go see it. It's Superman - it's its own brand - and..." He trailed off. How does one rationalize rejecting a star?

"Known actors bring baggage, in a way," Harris said. "Sort of distracts you from who really is."

And how is that elusive script, by the way?

"The script is... astonishing! Right?" Singer turned to his faithful writers and received a double nod. "We toured the Daily News the other day," he added excitedly. " 'Superman' takes place at the Daily Planet, so we wanted to see that."

Such research seems relatively light compared to the work at hand Down Under.

"The plan now is to rent an 8- to10-acre piece of land in Sydney and build the first free-standing back lot in the continent," Singer said. "And probably the largest in the world."

It is not a job to be taken lightly. Singer knows that it is an unquestionable burden to be responsible for the future of Superman.

"I almost had when I pitched 'Superman' to Alan Horn," he admitted. "I knew it would happen. I knew Alan liked the pitch ... he said they were going to throw out fifty million dollars from previous expenses. Eleven years of development. I felt it. That they were going to throw it all out.

"I said, 'I want to do 'Superman'...and he just goes, 'Oh. What's your story?' And I just told it... And then he said, 'All right. You want to stay and watch 'King Arthur' at my house with my kids?' And I said, 'No,' because I was about to puke and pass out."

Much of the resonance in the first "Superman" film stemmed from the subtle elements of its design. Singer, a fan himself of the Donner film, recognizes that certain aspects must be preserved in this newest addition. He plans to extract parts of the original score, and the costume will need no major revamping.

Mr Zero
"He plans to extract parts of the original score..."

I'm glad they are not using ANY of the previous bat-film stuff for bat-beg, yet I'm deligted to read this - it might mean we get the supes theme ever-so-lightly in the new film. They used it in smallville when reeves was the guest and it just IS superman for me. Rockin!

TheFilmProphet
I agree. Even if the film is terrible at least we will still have a good score.

TheFilmProphet
Bryan Singer Talks About Superman
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News
October 12, 2004

Ain't-It-Cool-News chatted with Superman director Bryan Singer who reconfirms he's casting an unknown and more. Here's several clips:

Capone: Where do you stand right with casting SUPERMAN? Is it really going to be called SUPERMAN RETURNS?

B.S.: That's strictly a working title. But it is a return story. It puts the first films in a kind of vague history. So what it doesn't do is tread over the 1978 Richard Donner film, it doesn't tread over "Smallville." It elaborates on the existence of Superman in the
world in a history. He's out of the culture and then he returns.

Capone: Will you be using footage from the other films?

B.S.: (Long pause) It's possible. There's an introduction sequence that may or may not involve something like that, but not in the way you might be thinking.

Capone: Is there any truth to the reports that you have a deadline to lock in the main cast or Warner Bros. will step in a do it for you?

B.S.: No, that's absurd. I read that too and think it's just bizarre about James Caviezel, who's a wonderful actor. But, no, I'm committed to casting an unknown.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18610

TheFilmProphet
Brandon Routh Cast as Superman?
Source: Latino Review
October 16, 2004

Latino Review claims that unknown actor Brandon Routh has been cast in the title role of Warner Bros.' Superman, to be directed by Bryan Singer:

The man who Singer has picked to play Clark Kent/Superman is none other than a relatively unknown actor by the name of Brandon Routh (Seen here in the photo at the bottom of the post).

Brandon's name has appeared on the web as being a possible contender a few month's ago, but most recently appeared on this Iowa based TV website.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3586/Seth.jpg

TheFilmProphet
SOURCE: SuperHeroHype!

October 17, 2004

UPDATE!! - We checked with out own independent sources at WB and they confirmed that Brandon Routh is indeed cast as Superman. Our sources added that they don't know when Lois Lane will be cast. They also threw in tidbits that Superman writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris were recently spotted on the WB lot going through stacks and stacks of Superman comic books, so it appears that they are going back to the source material for inspiration. Our sources also confirmed that General Zod will be involved in some capacity. More to come!

TheFilmProphet
Singer Talks More About Superman
Source: Merc
October 18, 2004

Scooper 'Merc' has sent these new bits about another Q&A with Superman director Bryan Singer:

I just attended a screening of The Usual Suspects at USC (I am a film student), and after the screening, Bryan Singer was onhand to answer questions; needless to say, he was inandated with them.

First off, he was very nervous about replying to questions about the casting of Superman; however at one point he slipped up, and spoke of how he just finished an awesome test with someone which was shot in 60mm film for Superman. He said that, "if I had cast Superman, I spoke to the actor, and he is very happy about the decision...". He slipped up and revealed that Superman had been cast.

Secondly, he talked about the suit and what it is going to look like. He said it will be very traditional, but that it will take advantage of the things that were learned on Spiderman. He said that spandex tends to remove definition from someone's build, and that they are going to have to shade the costume to add the effect that the actor is more toned than he really is.

He also talked about how and his writing parterns crafted a story which could be compared to Tim Burton's Batman (1989). He said that he is going to have the first two films serve as a sort of vague history, and that this next film will pick up after Superman has been gone for 6 years. He said that the story is going to approach Superman as sort of being a returning Messiah (sp). Singer also had an interesting comment that people in the movie sort of wish that Superman had never existed, because once he disappeared, the world fell into chaos.

Singer also divulged some really cool stuff about some sequences and some of the riggs that have been constructed. He said that they have created a rigg which has the capability to "fly" the actor at speeds of up to 40 mph a distance as far as 3 football fields!!! It was amazing stuff, and he said that almost all of the major sequences have already been pre-visualized.

I am not sure that he said much, else; but he pretty much confirmed that Routh has been cast.

One last thing I am remembering; he said that he really wanted to have Reeve make a cameo, and that because they are shooting in Australia (this was his idea before Reeve passed away), he was going to try to do something similar to what was done for that SuperBowl commercial a few years ago; using CGI he was going to try to have Reeve make a cameo while walking! Really exciting stuff!

You guys have been starved for information, and I thought this would tide you over!

ash007
man wow can't wait?

I know it seems harsh to say but do you think after Chris Reeves Death that the Superman project has finally picked up??

TheFilmProphet
Yeah I can't wait either.

I don't think that after his death the project has finally picked up because it is in the same exact place it was before he died.

TheFilmProphet
Kevin Spacey Rumored for Lex Luthor
Source: Robert Sanchez/IESB.net
October 19, 2004

According to a report on IESB Singer & Spacey may be reteaming for Superman.

The role of Lex Luthor won't go to an unknown, at least not according to Kevin Smith on a recent interview with the NY Post and other reliable sources. Kevin Spacey is Bryan Singers number one choice to become Superman's arch nemesis.

Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey have been friends ever since the pairing up in the breakout hit The Usual Suspects. Official announcements should be forth coming from Warner Bros. in the next few days.

Reborn Again
Virtual Unknown Chosen as the new Man Of Steel: Oct, 20, 2004

TheFilmProphet
Brandon Routh Confirmed as Superman!
Source: Variety
October 20, 2004

While Latino Review broke the news last weekend, Variety has confirmed it with their sources.

Though a deal has not yet been inked, relative unknown Brandon Routh is expected to take on the role of Superman for the long-in-the-works feature. Singer and his crew are headed to Australia next month to begin production.

Routh's credits include "One Life to Live," "Gilmore Girls," "Will & Grace" and "Cold Case." He recently wrapped his first feature role in "Deadly," starring opposite "That '70s Show" star Laura Prepon.

Routh, 25, was raised in Norwalk, Iowa, just 100 miles south of Woolstock -- the hometown of TV's original Superman, George Reeves.

Also, 'Vincent' pointed us to the Chicago Sun-Times, which reports that Superman screenwriter Dan Harris revealed more of the film's plot:

As for script secrets, Harris divulged the following: "He'll begin in his late 20s. He lost his powers in 'Superman 2' and now he has the powers back. But something has happened because he's been away for a long time."

"We're taking off from the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve. We use his history and then move on with big twists and great special effects.

"We're not going to do the origin story again. Our view is if you're over 25 years old, then you've seen the Reeve films and that's Superman to you. If you're under 25, then you watch TV's 'Smallville,' and that's Superman to you."

Stay tuned for more Superman news as it comes in!

TheFilmProphet
The Superman Music & Lois Lane Rumors
Source: Superhero Hype!
October 20, 2004

Ain't-It-Cool-News has an interesting scoop of Bryan Singer briefly mentioning the music that will be used for Superman:

He asked if there was anything else and I presented him with the most important aspect I could think of. "Will you use John Williams music in the movie?" He looked at me dead on and said very boldly, "Yes. Definitely yes."

Also, with Brandon Routh now cast as Supes, attention is turning to who will be playing Lois Lane in the film. Cinescape says the following six actresses are being considered.

Mischa Barton from "The O.C.", Charisma Charpenter from "Angel," Mia Kirshner from "The Crow: City of Angels," Evangeline Lilly from "Lost," Natalie Portman from the "Star Wars" prequels, and Keri Russell from "Felicity"

OB1-adobe
I can't say that I am all that pleased that they are treating this film as practically a sequel. I was kinda hoping they were going to start over.

TheFilmProphet
Yes I agree. I think they should have gone the same route as the new Batman film and begin all over again. The title says it all "Batman Begins."

If the film is being released with a completely DIFFERENT crew and 19 years after the last film then it shouldn't be treated as a sequel at all.

TheFilmProphet
Official Brandon Routh Superman Press Release
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures
October 22, 2004

Warner Bros. Pictures made it official today that Brandon Routh has been cast as Superman. You can read the press release below and click on his picture for a much larger version:

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Brandon Routh, a 25-year-old native of Iowa with television and film acting experience, has been cast as The Man of Steel in the Studio's upcoming Superman epic, to be directed by Bryan Singer. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The untitled Superman movie is expected to begin principal photography in Australia early next year for release in summer, 2006. It is produced by Jon Peters, Bryan Singer and Gilbert Adler from a screenplay by Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris. No other casting has been announced.

Stated Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer of Warner Bros., "We are so pleased to have put this extraordinary team of filmmakers and talent together and to be moving forward with a project we've all anticipated so much. I think we're going to make a Superman movie that all of us can be very proud to bring to our audience around the world."

Routh was chosen for the role of Superman following an exhaustive search that spanned the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia. Thousands of candidates were interviewed before the final selection was made.

Singer commented on his choice of a star, saying "Contrary to speculation, it was always my absolute intention to hire an unknown for this role. Brandon is an extremely fine actor who possesses the physical qualifications of Clark Kent/Superman. But he also embodies the legacy and history of this character in a way that makes me certain he's the right choice."

"We respect and appreciate the intense interest that our fans around the world have in Superman, and we went everywhere in search of a talented actor who would represent his look, character and presence," said Robinov. "We think Brandon is a gifted young performer who can re-energize this iconic character and excite new audiences about the legend of Superman."

Routh's television credits include One Life to Live, Gilmore Girls, Will & Grace and Cold Case. He recently wrapped his first feature role in the upcoming film Deadly, starring opposite Laura Prepon

CoolWizard
The new Superman looks the part and the movie is gonna rock. I like what I've heard about the script.

TheFilmProphet
Yeah hopefully it will be good but I don't think it will be better than the originals.

CoolWizard
No way they could top Reeve, but at least they are making something with quality. From everything I have heard. Looks like Singer wants to pick up some time after events in 'Superman II' and go from there with his cast.

TheFilmProphet
1. No one on earth can top Reeves

2. I don't think they should pick up from anywhere in the old franchise because if they ruin the movie then it will also give the old franchise a bad name. Like I said before they should start off new like Batman did.

CoolWizard
Hey, did you know the rumor mill said Reeve was going to make a cameo in the movie, ala Kirk Alyn (the first movie Superman) in Superman:The Movie? Sadly that won't happen now.... sad

TheFilmProphet
Yeah I found out a few weeks ago and it was confirmed by the director Bryan Singer. They were going to use some form of CGI or other computer technology to make Reeve walk in the new film.

TheFilmProphet
The Latest Superman Rumors
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News, Superman-V
October 26, 2004

Ain't-It-Cool-News reports that Iceman himself, Shawn Ashmore, may have been cast in Bryan Singer's Superman as Jimmy Olsen. The actor previously worked with Singer on X2: X-Men United.

Also, Superman-V has learned that Brandon Routh has signed a three picture deal with Warner Bros. The site says this will involve at least two Superman films with a Batman/Superman film possibly being the third.

CoolWizard
The guy can act so if this is true, then we have another top rate actor attached to the project.

Yeah I heard the same about it, it would have been interesting.

TheFilmProphet
Before there was either Superman or Batman films being made there was going to be a Batman Vs Superman film but then the idea was thrown out. They figured there was more money to be made with at least another 3 films on each franchise so I wouldn't doubt a Batman Vs Superman in the next 8 years.

I'm not sure Shawn can pull off a good Jimmy Olsen, I mean the actor playing Superman is the same age. wink I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

TheFilmProphet
Here are the results to a POLL held on SuperHeroHype

What do you think about Brandon Routh playing Superman?

I'm not sure yet, I'll hold off my judgment for now 52.0%

He's perfect! Can't wait to see him as The Man of Steel 20.7%

He's allright. He'll do okay in the role 16.2%

Horrible choice! They should have picked someone else 11.2%

Total votes: 10377

Supra
Why can Tom Welling play it? he is the best

TheFilmProphet
1. He has no time for it because he is doing Smallville.

2. They wanted someone who was unknown for the role.

Supra
Tom is the best though

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but I don't think anyone could ever do a better job than Chris did though.

Supra
Dean Kain I think was a amazing superman as well though

TheFilmProphet
Better than Chris?

Supra
Hmm, well I love Chris, but the acting was kinda corney back then, remember Supe 3? It was really hard to get though if you watch it now. What you think?

TheFilmProphet
Well I think that when taking into consideration ALL the actors who have played Superman/Clark Kent so far, Chris has been the best.

I saw Superman 2 a few days ago but I haven't watched 3 in a long time.

Supra
Yea Chris was the best, I really liked Dean as well, there all good. There has been 4 superman's though, the one b4 chris

TheFilmProphet
Yeah his name was George Reeves

Supra
Kool, I wish Neo was gonna be superman, to continue the tradition of the reeves legacy, I mean he was already neo, and pretty much did the same thing, so why not?

TheFilmProphet
Yeah it would have been weird to have three Reeves playing Superman.

Supra
That would be cool!

TheFilmProphet
yeah it would be, but its not going to happen sad

Supra
Never Loose Hope

TheFilmProphet
Well they already have their new Superman so it won't be happening in the next 10 years. wink

CoolWizard
Here is a list of the actors who have played Superman on screen over the years, not counting 'Superboy' or 'Smallville' stars as, strictly speaking, they were not playing Superman, but younger versions of him.

Kirk Alyn
George Reeves
Christopher Reeve
Dean Cain
and now Brandon Routh

TheFilmProphet
I don't think Brandon will do that great wink

TheFilmProphet
SuperHeroHype! Poll Update

I'm not sure yet, I'll hold off my judgment for now 52.8%

He's perfect! Can't wait to see him as The Man of Steel 19.7%

He's allright. He'll do okay in the role 15.9%

Horrible choice! They should have picked someone else 11.5%

Total votes: 11723

CoolWizard
Well time will tell about Routh being a good Man of Steel. I hope he does it justice.
Personally, and to be honest, I don't think too much of Dean Cain as it is, but I know that series has its own fanbase even today.
As for Kirk Alyn, I only just found out about him a few weeks ago. I had always been of the belief that George Reeves was the first Superman.

Do you know anything about the petition to get an annviersary edition of Superman II released on dvd next year? I f so , what are your thoughts about it? Seems about forty minutes of scenes was edited out of the original theaterical release.

TheFilmProphet
1. To tell you the truth I'm not too excited about Brandon playing the next Superman or anyone playing a new Supes for that matter.

2. Dean Cain was horrible as Superman but that is just my oppinion.

3. I don't know about any petition.

4. I don't know about Superman II having forty minutes cut but I do know that Superman 4 had forty minutes cut.

TheFilmProphet
Imageworks to Create Superman Effects
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
October 29, 2004

The Hollywood Reporter says that Sony Pictures Imageworks will provide the visual effects for director Bryan Singer's Superman.

The Man of Steel has a new home in Culver City where Sony Pictures Imageworks has been tapped to provide the visual effects for director Bryan Singer's 2006 release "Superman Returns." Lensing is expected to begin in Australia early next year on the Warner Bros. Pictures film with Gil Adler, Jon Peters and Singer producing. Mark Stetson is supervising the visual shots for Warner Bros. production. Imageworks has yet to confirm an internal supervisor, and a digital effects shot breakdown is still pending. However, sources said the early estimate for "Superman" is about 800 shots, comparable to Columbia Pictures' "Spider-Man 2." Effects artists are likely to provide a similar emphasis on heroic live-action effects and digital doubles.

CoolWizard
If you do not care about the new movie, then why do you post updates about it?

TheFilmProphet
I do care.

CoolWizard
Ok, I could have sworn you said in an earlier post you weren't too excited about Routh or anyone else playing Superman. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

Keep up the excellent work, Film Prophet.

TheFilmProphet
I did say that, but it doesn't mean I'm not excited about the new movie. Who knows maybe Brandon can change my mind by playing Superman.

And thanks I will keep up the good work.

TheFilmProphet
Another Superherohype! poll update

I'm not sure yet, I'll hold off my judgment for now 53.3%

He's perfect! Can't wait to see him as The Man of Steel 19.0%

He's allright. He'll do okay in the role 15.8%

Horrible choice! They should have picked someone else 11.9%

Total votes: 13147

http://www.superherohype.com/

CoolWizard
Excellent service you provide, FP!
Has there been any further speculation as to who Singer is considering for Lois Lane? Will he cast an unknown as he did with Routh?

TheFilmProphet
Thanks

For the role of Lois Lane: Likely an unknown

They are considering Mischa Barton from "The O.C.", Charisma Charpenter from "Angel," Mia Kirshner from "The Crow: City of Angels," Evangeline Lilly from "Lost," Natalie Portman from the "Star Wars" prequels, and Keri Russell from "Felicity"

And for the role of Lex Luthor, Kevin Spacey has been rumored as having the part.

Shawn Ashmore from "X-Men 1 and 2" has been said to have the role of Jimmy Olsen.

TheFilmProphet
Superman Finally is Ready to Fly Again
Source: USA Today
November 5, 2004

USA Today has published a new editorial piece about the Superman movie, which includes Warner Bros.' Jeff Robinov talking about the film:

Warner Bros. is revealing little about the plot, but Singer has hinted that the film will pick up where 1980's Superman II left off. In that movie, our hero traded his superpowers for mortality, fell in love with Lois Lane, regained his powers to defeat his enemies but then lost the girl.

"How do you bring Superman back? That has obviously been a challenge for us," says Jeff Robinov, president of production for Warner Bros. "It took a while to get the right combination of people and to find a story that was fresh and true to the mythology."

You can read the full article at the link above. A second article also talks about the casting of Brandon Routh:

"He's always had a desire to play Superman," says his agent, Mara Santino, who notes that the Halloween costume contest occurred months before the movie role was even a possibility.

Routh (pronounced Rowth) was chosen from thousands of candidates interviewed at casting calls in the USA, Britain, Canada and Australia.

"Casting has always been a challenge," says Jeff Robinov, president of production for Warner Bros. Pictures.

"As you look to more recognizable people, it's hard to separate who they are and what they've done from the role of Superman. So we decided to look at unknowns.

CoolWizard
Fascinating article and update, FP. Sounds all good to me.

pr1983
from superherohype.com

Singer Talks Superman & Brandon Routh
Source: The Movie Box November 11, 2004

The Movie Box has posted a new audio clip of Superman director Bryan Singer talking to LA radio station KROQ about both the film and the casting of Brandon Routh in the title role.

Hit the link below:

http://www.themoviebox.net/php/news/stories.php?subaction=showfull&id=1100196346&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

FreeFallingHero
ok, i am too lazy to actually go back and sort throught he posts and see, so i will just ask....has anything been updated on the Lois LAne casting position?

TheFilmProphet
No sorry wink

TheFilmProphet
Kevin Spacey Approached for Superman
Source: IESB.net
November 17, 2004

Kevin Spacey, who starred in Superman director Bryan Singer's hit plot-twister "The Usual Suspects," has confirmed rumors that he's been approached for the role of Lex Luthor. He would only tell IESB.net that he's been approached and nothing else.

He wouldn't clarify any further but he went on to say that he would love to work with Bryan Singer on anything, the main problem is that he is so busy as Artistic Director of the Old Vic in London he doesn't know how he would fit it into his schedule.

TheFilmProphet
Kevin Spacey on the Lex Luthor Rumor
Source: Latino Review
November 20, 2004

While doing interviews for "Beyond the Sea," Kevin Spacey addressed the rumor he is up for Lex Luthor in director Bryan Singer's Superman to Latino Review.

"They want me to do it, but it's just a question of timing and scheduling. I've got the things I'm doing with the Old Vic , but I'd love to work with Brian Singer again. You do those kinds of movies because they allow you to do these." (laughs)

Stay tuned for more on the casting as it comes in.

TheFilmProphet
Poll being held at Superherohype http://www.superherohype.com/

What do you think about the rumor that Kevin Spacey may play Lex

Luthor in "Superman"?

Perfect casting! 41.3%

It's cool, he should do alright 37.7%

Horrible casting! 10.7%

He probably wouldn't be that great 10.3%

Total votes: 2893
You have already voted!

TheFilmProphet
Bryan Singer on Casting Superman
Source: SFGate.com
November 21, 2004

SFGate.com has up a new interview with Superman director Bryan Singer about how he cast Brandon Routh in the title role. Here's a clip:

When you're casting a film of this size, you've got to look at three things. First, talent. Second, does he look like the guy and have the physical presence -- if Brandon walked into your office, you'd step back and say, 'Oh my God, it's Superman.' And third, you have to find a personality who can contend with all the rigors involved in making a show you're going to shoot for five months, with a lot of stunts and visual effects. That's a lot of work. A lot of work. Brandon had all three qualities.

TheFilmProphet
Superherohype poll update http://www2.superherohype.com/index.php

Luthor in "Superman"?

Perfect casting! 43.3%

It's cool, he should do alright 37.2%

Horrible casting! 10.2%

He probably wouldn't be that great 9.4%

Total votes: 8698

TheFilmProphet
Last poll update

Luthor in "Superman"?

Perfect casting! 43.0%

It's cool, he should do alright 37.2%

Horrible casting! 10.4%

He probably wouldn't be that great 9.4%

Total votes: 9803
You have already voted!

FreeFallingHero
To be honest, i think that Kevin Spacey would play an awesome alter ego for the man of steel. If you have seen his past villian roles you sould know that he is perfect for the role. He also does a great job as a good job. He is an awesome actor with totally amazing acting talent.

TheFilmProphet
I agree

It should be very interesting if Spacey gets the role.

TheFilmProphet
Dan Harris on the Superman Movie
Source: IGN Filmforce
December 3, 2004

IGN Filmforce talked to writer Dan Harris who says shooting on Superman starts in March Down Under and he is doing rewrites with director Bryan Singer while the sets are being built. Here's a clip:

"We don't start until March, but yeah, we're on our third draft right now and we've done, I mean, you know, the requisite first draft, chop off ten to fifteen pages, you know? It's too expensive, it's always too expensive. But it's being molded and kind of shifted and coming along really quickly, so any work that we're doing now, it's going to, by the next chapter, turn into really minor tweaking and just getting in there and making scenes better, as opposed to X-Men, where we did about 28 drafts, and halfway through those 28 drafts, we were still rewriting the whole movie every time. It was still, like, major shifts in story. Not this time around, this time around it's pretty much there."

Shadow_King
Source: KMC
December something i forget.

Its the exact same as your post TFP but a bit longer.

Superman scribe Dan Harris says that the upcoming fifth Superman movie will improve on the previous movies. "We're not operating on the same playing field," Harris told Sci-Fi Wire. "We didn't each pitch our stories to the same person, you know? It's like, the Superman vision that's out there for our movie is a combination of me, Mike and Bryan ."

Harris spoke highly of director Bryan Singer. "Bryan's really the champion here," Harris said. "Bryan decided, 'This is the story that I want to tell, and I believe in this story totally.' So we'll take it out and see if we can move it forward. It's really a group effort."

Harris says that they're still making changes to the script. "We don't start until March, but we're on our third draft," Harris said. "Right now we've done the requisite first draft, and then we chopped off 10 to 15 pages, it's too expensive. But it's being molded and shifted, and it's coming along really quickly. So any work that we're doing now, by the next chapter, it's going to turn into really minor tweaking and just getting in there and making scenes better."

Harris added that the script changes were less than the ones made for the X-Men movies. "On X-Men, we did about 28 drafts, and halfway through those 28 drafts we were still rewriting the whole movie every time," Harris said. "It was still major shifts in story. Not this time around. This time around it's pretty much there."

TheFilmProphet
Superman is Bigger Than X2?
Source: Sci Fi Wire
December 7, 2004

Sci Fi Wire talked to Superman co-writer Dan Harris who revealed just how big the production is.

Superman Bigger Than X2

Dan Harris, one of the writers of Bryan Singer's upcoming Superman Returns movie, told SCI FI Wire that the film promises to be larger in scope than director Singer's last movie, the X-Men sequel X2, which Harris also co-wrote. "I thought that was a big movie, but this scope is another step bigger," Harris said in an interview. "It's a permanent backlot. It will be like a permanent New York City-slash-Metropolis."

Harris is co-writing the newest Superman movie with Michael Dougherty and Singer and has relocated to Australia for preproduction. The movie stars relative newcomer Brandon Routh as Clark Kent/Superman. Harris said that the film is scheduled to begin shooting in Australia as soon as March. "We're shooting in March, but we're there this early because it's such a big build," he said, referring to the time needed to construct the movie's massive sets. "They are building a portion of Metropolis, like a major backlot that's amazing. It's, like, three intersecting city blocks, and everything is four stories tall."

Harris added that Singer insisted on his participation in the early development of the film. "Bryan Singer works with writers all the time, start to finish through post-production," Harris said. "Because they built so much art-department stuff , the art department has to be there, and because has to be there, we have to be there." Superman Returns is eyeing a 2006 release.

Check out the full interview at the link below.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-12/07/11.45.film

TheFilmProphet
uperman Movie Set Tours Coming?
Source: SSH!
December 10, 2004

Here's a little different and unconfirmed scoop. 'A-Z' says:

I'm a set builder down in Sydney and am working on the new Superman sets for Brian Singer.

Well, last week these people from some Workplace Safety Union came down to the set to inspect it which has never happened with any of the other films that I have worked on. I asked around and its because some of the sets are going to be up for at least another year, because after filming in complete they will be open to the general public.

Anyone and everyone will be able to come down to Fox Studios from after next August and take the 'Superman Experience'.

Thought it would be good to let your Australian readers know.

Sounds like a great thing, if it goes through. We'll keep you updated.

TheFilmProphet
Alec Gillis on the Superman Movie
Source: Moviehole
December 13, 2004

Moviehole talked to Alec Gillis, who did the alien effecst in Alien vs. Predator, about the Superman movie and more. Here's several clips the site shared with us:

Besides a possible AVP2, What else are you working on?
We're working on Superman. I'm not going out of the country for it; we're doing costume component, so of like what we did on Spider-Man 1 and 2.

Is the costume going to be similar to the one in Dick Donner's original?
I think that, without spilling anyone's beans, fans of the comic book will not be disappointed.

Confident Bryan Singer is going to do a good job?
Well look at the X-Men movies, particularly the first one. I like how he roots things in reality. So I think he's going to do a great job.

TheFilmProphet
Superman Set Being Built in Queensland
Source: SMH.com.au
December 21, 2004

SMH.com.au has an update on the Superman set building:

The bronzed, theme park-rich inhabitants of the Gold Coast will be visited by Superman in more ways than one next year.

As well as a $121 million ride being built at Warner Bros Movie World in honour of the flick, some of Superman Returns will be filmed north of the Tweed.

While production of the film, starring Brandon Routh, is well underway in Sydney, a Spike mole tells us one of the sets is too big for Moore Park and will be built at Warner Bros's Queensland headquarters.

TheFilmProphet
Topher Grace Denies Superman Rumors
Source: Zap2it
December 23, 2004

Zap2it caught up with Topher Grace and asked him about the Superman rumors:

At a recent press conference, "That '70s Show" star Topher Grace denies that he's been approached to play Clark Kent's pal, wide-eyed Daily Planet reporter Jimmy Olsen. He also sets the record straight about another FOX star who's been rumored to be playing the Man of Steel's sassy love interest Lois Lane.

"I bumped into Mischa Barton and I said, 'Hey, are we in "Superman?'" She said, 'No. We're not,'" he jokes, referring to the "O.C." actress.

Havoc470
i just hope bryan singer picked a good person to play the role, there'll never be a beefed up superman lol

TheFilmProphet
yeah, they are usually in good shape, but nowhere near being buffed or ripped. Its odd when you consider how strong Superman is suppose to be and how muscular he looks in the comics.

Havoc470
yeah, its the superman curse....never will there be an actor playing superman with a good amount of girth and the will-power to work-out

routh has the body of goofy lol, he just appeared in soap opera's before this?

TheFilmProphet
Yeah its an unfortunate fact, they concentrate more on the hight than they do the build.

Routh did mostly TV guest appearances like "Will & Grace" and "Gilmore Girls"

Havoc470
oh god, as much as i like bryan singer i just dont know if this'll work out

and here i thought they were finally gonna take superman out of the "boyish charm" scope, just because he's a good man doesnt mean he has to be a backstreet boy or some crap

TheFilmProphet
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure either.

I would actually like to see a more rugged and strong Superman than a Superman that all the teenage girls like.

Havoc470
that would be great, i would love to see a more rugged superman...that boyish charm crap is something i never cared for or even saw in the comic book superman, get him out of the 20's and give him a more rugged physique.....it'll never happen

TheFilmProphet
I agree the boyish charm was ok maybe 20 years ago, but now its time for something different. I wouldn't mind seeing a Superman in his 30's, rugged, and alot more serious.

TheFilmProphet
Kate Bosworth Cast as Lois Lane?
Source: Superman-V
December 31, 2004

Superman-V is reporting the rumor that Kate Bosworth has been cast as Lois Lane in Bryan Singer's Superman. There's some unconfirmed additional casting bits as well:

Reliable sources inform us that Kate Bosworth has won the role of Daily Planet's feisty yet incident prone reporter. After many young actresses screentested alongside Bradon Routh - with Elisha Cuthbert, Claire Danes and Keri Russell all believed to have come close it was Bosworth who Singer decided on. Kate who recently starred in Beyond The Sea now joins an impressive looking cast believed to be Shaun Ashmore as Jimmy Olsen, Spacey as Lex Luthor and Brandon Routh as Superman.

Hit the link above for more possible news on the costume.

TheFilmProphet
Patrick Stewart on X-Men 3 & Superman
Source: SHH!
January 2, 2005

Stewart also addressed the rumor that Bryan Singer wants him to play Jor El in Superman:

I also heard these rumors, but so far Bryan did not ask me about it. I had recently a small heart surgery - nothing serious - and while I was at the hospital, Bryan called me. We spoke a long time - yet he did not ask me. But since I am already in two big franchises, why not also in a third or a fourth?

TheFilmProphet
Bosworth & Spacey Confirmed for Superman!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter, Variety
January 6, 2005

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that Kate Bosworth is in talks to play Lois Lane, and Kevin Spacey is set to play the superhero's nemesis Lex Luthor in Bryan Singer's Superman for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The comic book movie would reunite the two actors, who currently appear in Spacey's "Beyond the Sea" as Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin.

The casting of Lane was a long process that ultimately rested on a chemistry test between the actress and Brandon Routh, who is playing Superman, says the trade. Bosworth reportedly beat out the likes of Claire Danes, Linda Cardellini, and Michelle Monaghan.

Spacey, who is in rehearsals for "National Anthems" at the Old Vic, will do a limited run of "The Philadelphia Story" at the theater before moving to the Superman movie, which has a March 3 start date at Fox Studios Sydney.

Singer also told Variety that he and his writers chose a track that falls somewhere between the original film and the successful series Smallville.

"It's a little like 'X-Men,' where the mutants existed when the movie began," Singer said. "It's not an origin story; I didn't want to remake what Richard Donner did so well in the original, and didn't want to tread on the great work they're doing on 'Smallville.' He's already part of the culture; he has left the planet. This is the story of his return."

supremthor
is the new movie based one pre-crisis or post crisis superman powers.

pr1983
as far as i know it starts where superman 2 left off....

bosworth is wrong imo... should been beckinsale...

TheFilmProphet
Yeah it is suppose to continue where Superman 2 left off just like you said.

I completely agree, Bosworth is no Lois Lane. I would much rather see Beckinsale in the role than her.

DirectorFitz
I don't mind...I've seen Bosworth with Black hair, and she looks good for the part...plus, we're judging on previous acting...and those characters just aren't Lois Lane, so we don't know yet if she can play it...so we should always be positive...

On another note...I'm completely excited to see Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor...I hope Singer keeps the same humor Gene Hackman provided...but I hope he adds a sort of sinister...ness to the Character...

StarliciousStar
"plus, we're judging on previous acting...and those characters just aren't Lois Lane, so we don't know yet if she can play it...so we should always be positive..."

Well Lois is looked at as fesity and independent right? That was suppose to be Kate's character in Blue Crush but (imo) she sucked as trying to pull that off.

But I agree people could try to be postive,its just hard for people like me who has seen her act and fail time after time.
Again only my opinion but Kate Bosworth shouldn't be acting and I don't think she deserves the parts that she gets.
And I don't think its fair she gets as much fame as she does just because she's linked to the hottest actor of the moment.

Does anyone know if Kate Beckinsale was even considered for Lois.
There were alot of actress that Bryan wanted that had to turn the part down because of other projects and there were even a few actress's who wanted nothing to do with the part.
Kate wasn't even a first choice and my thought is that she was a last resort.
Just my opinion though you guys.

dami wilson
WILL SUPERMAN BE UNSTOPPABLE OR WILL HE HAVE THAT KRIPTON EFFECT. i JUST HOPE THEY MAKE THE FILM FOR ADULTS IN MIND AND NOT KIDS BECAUSE THATS HOW i VIEWED SUPERMAN THREE AND IT SUCKED. I hope they make the film like the Xmen and Spiderman with more serious story plots. Kids will watch it anyway so I hope there are no kiddish characters!!

dami wilson
i hope the new film is more adult oriented and superman is more like spiderman or the Xmen. If it went the same way as superman 3 then it'd be too kiddish and thats the difference btw Marvel and DC comics. I've move on from DC to Marvel cos of that and I hope its more serious and not childish in making.

pr1983
spacey will do well i think... i keep seeing him as dr evil from austin powers 3... but he could be great.

bosworth should just piss off... we've been waiting too long for a superman movie... she'll ruin it...

TheFilmProphet
Exactly, Alba all over again. sad

TheFilmProphet

pr1983
laurie is a great actor... but i dont know how he'll be as perry...

Mr Parker
Uh xmen was adult oriented,but man-spider hardly was.Man-spider was made mostly for kids.I am so much against another superman movie being made.We dont need one,it set the standard that sadly hollywood has not been able to duplicate yet on how to make a great comicbook movie.with spiderman,I would love to see the franchise started all over again maybe 10 years from now because it NEEDS to be restarted big time so fans can see spiderman on the screen instead of manspider,with batman begins,that gives me hope they will since hollywood realises all the batman movies sucked in one way or another and pissed off so many batman fans with the horrible casting choice of keaton as batman.With superman,they have a perfect comicbook movie,so thats stupid to restart the whole superman franchise all over again with another movie.a tv show like SMALLVILLE before he becomes superman-good idea, but another superman movie? bad idea. mad

pr1983
so u take digs at batman and spiderman in a superman thread... great...

OB1-adobe
Okay dude, you and your "man-Spider" thing is getting really old.

Yes, they make them for money. But, at least they are getting better at it (for the most part).

The salkinds are twisted corporate fuks. Although I enjoy them, Batman 1&2 are just like every other Tim Burton film, period. Joel Schumacher, we all know what he did, but after some research a lot middle fingers should actually be directed to Warner Bros.

They are all just adaptations. 30 years from know, someone will be making Spider-man films. Just like them making Superman films.

Paola
Mr Parker I think I've warned you before.... talk about those man-spider movies again in a non-related Spider-man forum and you'll get a beautiful one-way ticket to banville!

thank you.

TheFilmProphet
I love it when she is naughty! love

Huntington is Jimmy Olsen in Superman
January 30, 2005

Sam Huntington (official site) has been cast as Daily Planet cub reporter Jimmy Olsen in Bryan Singer's Superman, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The cast includes Brandon Routh as Clark Kent/Superman, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, Hugh Laurie as Daily Planet editor-in-chief Perry White and James Marsden as Richard White.

Kate Bosworth is in negotiations to play Lois Lane.

Huntington previously starred in such films as "Jungle 2 Jungle," "Detroit Rock City," "Not Another Teen Movie," and "Sleepover."

http://www.sam-huntington.com/images/gn6.gif

TheFilmProphet
Warner Bros. Sets Superman Release Date
Source: ComingSoon.net
February 3, 2005

Warner Bros. has set a June 30, 2006 release date for director Bryan Singer's Superman, starring Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey, James Marsden, Hugh Laurie, Sam Huntington, and Eva Marie Saint.

The closest competition so far is Paramount's "Charlotte's Web," scheduled for June 23 next year, and Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," coming on July 7.

pr1983
from superherohype

Superman Starting in Four Weeks
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News February 16, 2005

In an update on X-Men 3 at Ain't-It-Cool-News (which is previously posted news - Patrick Stewart says they're starting this summer), they also say they talked to Superman creative team Bryan Singer, Michael Dougherty, and Dan Harris:

Bryan went on to tell me that in 4 weeks they'll be full steam ahead shooting out on the Kent homestead, which they built in studio, then hauled out to location - where there are apparently all manners of poisonous snakes. Eve Marie Saint is apparently a real trooper. They have indeed cast Noell Niel in the film! Who? You heathen! The original Lois Lane from the old George Reeves SUPERMAN tv show! Apparently she plays a cool ol lady that Lex Luthor swindles out of her fortune (at least that's kinda how it was explained to me.) Also - they have a dog... actually an adorable white puppy they're calling KRYPTO... and I have it on good authority that Krypto left a deposit of dangerous Kryptosh*t, Red Kryptosh*t on the carpet of Bryan Singer's office the other day. Anyway - I don't believe lil Krypto is in the movie, just a set pup. Bryan seems to be in great cheer - and it looks like he's full steam ahead.

link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19429

OB1-adobe
Cameos, references to older Sup films..........

This is a Bryan Singer fanboy movie

David Duchovony
How do you guys feel about this:

While i believe that brianiac and darkseid are essential for the series, i feel that the first movie shouldn't deal with the outer-worldly villains. I'd like to see the Luthor-Metallo plot or use Conduit and more down to earth villains. My second movie would feature Brianiac, using the origin from the cartoon (which was much different from the comics) and have Brianiac be the Kryptonian technology partly responsible for the destruction of Krypton. I would then use a loose interpretation of the Brianiac-13 saga from the comics (although there'd only be one Brainiac). I'd then have Luthor do something heroic in the movie that makes him capable of running for and winning the presidency between movies. My third movie would feature Darkseid and/or Doomsday. President Luthor had several key dealings with Darkseid in the comics (although i don't think they ever met). I'd prefer for the third movie to be the Death of Superman storyline, personally. I'd then make a Batman Vs. Superman movie that dealt with the Luthor presidency, like in the comics.

Source: imdb.com

Mainstream
Good ideas David.

pr1983
who's ideas are these?

David Duchovony
A guy from imdb.com. They aren't mine I just posted them to get your opinions.

forumcrew
some set pictures are out.. and just an idea should this thread be stuck at the top.. i think some people come here just for the movie news..

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8779

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/supermanreturnsset3.jpg
http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/supermanreturnsset2.jpg

look at the size relation compared to the cars!

TheFilmProphet
Posey is Kitty in Superman Returns
March 18, 2005

Parker Posey (pictures) has joined the cast of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns at Warner Bros. Pictures, says The Hollywood Reporter. Posey will play Kitty Koslowski, Lex Luthor's villainous henchwoman.

She joins a cast that includes Brandon Routh as Superman, Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane, Hugh Laurie as Perry White, James Marsden as Richard White, Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen. Kevin Spacey is playing Lex Luthor. Kal Penn will portray Stanford, Luthor's right-hand man.

Posey was most recently seen in Blade: Trinity and "Laws of Attraction." She also is performing in "Hurlyburly" onstage in New York. Her upcoming movies include The OH in Ohio.

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
Source: Comics2film.com
March 20, 2005

THE GREAT DIVIDE

There's nothing like the buzz of movie making to nullify lingering summer heat and encroaching drought.

Production on the latest Superman movie out in the regions has had locals scratching their heads and swapping stories for the past four months.

Traffic on a gravel road that ordinarily sees about 20 vehicles a day has been constant. Planes regularly fly over while last-minute set construction has been frenetic.

Full-time security has surrounded the site in north-west NSW since late November and every contractor has been required to sign a confidentiality agreement. Dollar figures being bandied about keep local eyes saucer-like.

It all adds up to a haven of intrigue that has kept the neighbourhood, and the movie world at large, busy and curious.

Hollywood arrived in the bush with the start of filming of the new $92 million Superman movie, tentatively titled The Red Sun, 10 days ago.

The Warner Bros production is being filmed mostly in Sydney's Fox studios but the rural location is intended to resemble Clark Kent's childhood home in Smallville, Kansas.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The set on a farm near Breeza, 70 kilometres south of Tamworth, comprises 50 hectares of rich farming land. A handsome two-storey farmhouse and a magnificent barn have been built to imitate Jonathan and Martha Kent's farm. The choice of location came about through a friendship with a son of the farm's owners and a movie industry pal.

But it's the no-expense-spared budget that has boggled the eyes of country folk.

A dead tree, for instance, was dug up from a nearby property and trucked to the set. It was concreted into the ground with several gnarled roots protruding all for the sum of $11,000. A horticulturist oversees all the plants - living and dead.

Every contractor has been required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

A cubby house has been built, with old telephone poles, in the tree, which will have leaves stuck on it to achieve a canopy effect.

Fruit trees were sourced from an old orchard 30 kilometres away and plains grass, the natural herbage of stock on these black-soil plains, has been carefully plucked and replanted down the middle of the road leading to the homestead.

The house itself is a miraculous accomplishment - a throwback to the 1930s when a spacecraft crashed on the Kent family farm. Local contractors, who can't help but pass on the news, report the lights actually turn on and off, the paint effect on the clapboard exterior is truly deceiving and even the front step has been rasped to give a worn effect.

A nearby field of corn has neighbouring farmers mightily amused. The out-of-season crop, with large cranes at either end, must reach a height of 1.5 metres and is aerially sprayed twice a week to keep it lush and bug-free.

Eight truckloads of water a day are being ferried to the site, which is criss-crossed by a web of all-weather roads for vehicles and camera trolleys.

The movie has come as an unexpected shot in the arm for locals called out to work on the set and accommodate production staff.

In six months, the site will bear scant evidence of its Hollywood connection. Not even a road will be retained as the land is returned to its original state and kryptonite is again something you read about in comics.

TheFilmProphet
Superman Returns Starts Shooting
March 21, 2005

Principal photography is underway in Sydney, Australia on Warner Bros. Pictures' highly anticipated action adventure Superman Returns, it was announced today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures. Directed by Bryan Singer (X2: X-Men United, X-Men, "The Usual Suspects"wink, the film stars newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth ("Beyond the Sea," "Blue Crush"wink, Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey ("Beyond the Sea," "American Beauty"wink, James Marsden (X2: X-Men United, "The Notebook"wink, Academy Award-winner Eva Marie Saint ("North By Northwest"wink, Parker Posey (Blade: Trinity, "Best in Show"wink, Kal Penn ("Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle," "Love Don't Cost a Thing"wink and Sam Huntington ("Detroit Rock City<"wink.

Brandon Routh, who has previously made notable guest appearances on such television series as Cold Case and Gilmore Girls, will play the dual roles of Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Joining Routh are Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane; Kevin Spacey as Superman's archenemy, Lex Luthor; James Marsden as Richard White; Eva Marie Saint as Martha Kent; Parker Posey as Kitty Kowalski; Kal Penn as Stanford; and Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen.

A Warner Bros. Pictures presentation of a Peters Entertainment production, in association with Bad Hat Harry Productions, a Bryan Singer film, Superman Returns is produced by Jon Peters, Bryan Singer and Gilbert Adler from a screenplay by Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris. The executive producer is Chris Lee.

"We are thrilled to have such a stellar cast starring in this exciting and innovative new chapter in the 'Superman' legend," Robinov said. "With Bryan Singer at the helm, we look forward to creating a film that electrifies audiences and deepens the rich mythology that continues to make Superman one of the most popular and intriguing superheroes of all time."

"Rather than being a remake of the original movie," Singer explained, "this film explores Superman's influence on our global culture and the impact of his return to Earth after an absence of several years. It's my great pleasure to bring this new chapter of the Superman legacy to the screen with this incredible cast."

Superman Returns is scheduled to shoot in and around Sydney, Australia through mid-August 2005 and will be released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, on June 30, 2006.

Asian Hulk
This was for the late Christoher Reeve in the first and the fourth Superman movies.

Asian Hulk
Brandon Routh is the new Superman on the fifth movie.

pr1983
Originally posted by TheFilmProphet
Superman Returns Starts Shooting
March 21, 2005

Principal photography is underway in Sydney, Australia on Warner Bros. Pictures' highly anticipated action adventure Superman Returns, it was announced today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures. Directed by Bryan Singer (X2: X-Men United, X-Men, "The Usual Suspects"wink, the film stars newcomer Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth ("Beyond the Sea," "Blue Crush"wink, Oscar-winner Kevin Spacey ("Beyond the Sea," "American Beauty"wink, James Marsden (X2: X-Men United, "The Notebook"wink, Academy Award-winner Eva Marie Saint ("North By Northwest"wink, Parker Posey (Blade: Trinity, "Best in Show"wink, Kal Penn ("Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle," "Love Don't Cost a Thing"wink and Sam Huntington ("Detroit Rock City<"wink.

Brandon Routh, who has previously made notable guest appearances on such television series as Cold Case and Gilmore Girls, will play the dual roles of Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Joining Routh are Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane; Kevin Spacey as Superman's archenemy, Lex Luthor; James Marsden as Richard White; Eva Marie Saint as Martha Kent; Parker Posey as Kitty Kowalski; Kal Penn as Stanford; and Sam Huntington as Jimmy Olsen.

A Warner Bros. Pictures presentation of a Peters Entertainment production, in association with Bad Hat Harry Productions, a Bryan Singer film, Superman Returns is produced by Jon Peters, Bryan Singer and Gilbert Adler from a screenplay by Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris. The executive producer is Chris Lee.

"We are thrilled to have such a stellar cast starring in this exciting and innovative new chapter in the 'Superman' legend," Robinov said. "With Bryan Singer at the helm, we look forward to creating a film that electrifies audiences and deepens the rich mythology that continues to make Superman one of the most popular and intriguing superheroes of all time."

"Rather than being a remake of the original movie," Singer explained, "this film explores Superman's influence on our global culture and the impact of his return to Earth after an absence of several years. It's my great pleasure to bring this new chapter of the Superman legacy to the screen with this incredible cast."

Superman Returns is scheduled to shoot in and around Sydney, Australia through mid-August 2005 and will be released by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, on June 30, 2006.

why am i getting such a bad feeling about this movie...

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by pr1983
why am i getting such a bad feeling about this movie...

CUZ MAYBE YOU ARE FROM THE FUTURE AND YOU KNOW ALREADY THAT THIS MOVIE SUCKS FROM THE BEGGINING, AND IT WILL BE LIKE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS.... EVERYONE WILL PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED. mad

pr1983
Originally posted by alexanderluthor
CUZ MAYBE YOU ARE FROM THE FUTURE AND YOU KNOW ALREADY THAT THIS MOVIE SUCKS FROM THE BEGGINING, AND IT WILL BE LIKE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS.... EVERYONE WILL PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED. mad

i dont think it would be THAT bad...

but it breaks my heart to see one of my favourite heroes like this...

alexanderluthor
HE IS MY NUMBER ONE HERO...... AND I'VE BEEN XPECTING A NEW MOVIE FROMA LONG TIME AGO, WATCHING SPIDERMAN, HULK, DAREDEVIL, MATRIX RELOADED, AS APPETTIZERS, WAITING FOR THE BIG THING TO COME..... NOW I JUST WANT AN E-PULSE FINISHES WITH THIS MOVIE. sad

Paola
eek! bienvenido alexander!!! wave

just an advice... don't use caps, please smile

Kainreaver
Could be worse...It could STILL be in the hands of Mic-G. (Who was going to have it where Krypton NEVER exploded, and Lex Luther was also from Krypton) (NO LIE!!!) In retrospect, i think this one will be cool.

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by Kainreaver
Could be worse...It could STILL be in the hands of Mic-G. (Who was going to have it where Krypton NEVER exploded, and Lex Luther was also from Krypton) (NO LIE!!!) In retrospect, i think this one will be cool.

when it comes to superman, there's no worse.... there's only big grin or sick .
plus i really can't believe they are not gonna restart all over, this guys think they can continue with the legacy that christopher reeve left.... i still hope it's only a joke, or like they're trying to hide the real location of the real movie with some other cast, and director and tom welling, but once again, we must be realistic, in one year we'll be watching 'nother matrix revolutions.

TheFilmProphet
Originally posted by alexanderluthor
this guys think they can continue with the legacy that christopher reeve left....

*sigh*

Its ridiculous, but its still happening unfortunately.

TheFilmProphet

Mainstream
I heard he's not fighting any supervillian just Lex is that true?

TheFilmProphet
Actually thats not true,

TheFilmProphet
Superman Returns Hugh Laurie Quits as Perry White?
Source: SupermanHomePage.com
April 4, 2005

SupermanHomePage.com is reporting that Hugh Laurie is out of Superman Returns.

We're hearing from our sources within the making of Superman Returns that Hugh Laurie has backed out of his agreement to play Perry White. The April issue of Entertainment Weekly indicates that Hugh's highly successful TV show, HOUSE md (produced by Bryan Singer) will start its new season in August, meaning Hugh Laurie is unable to play the role of the gruff Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet newspaper. Here's an excerpt from the EW article:

House's likely early return means Laurie won't be able to play the role of Perry White in Singer's new Superman movie, now filming in
Australia.

No official word from Warners on this at press time.

TheFilmProphet
Frank Langella Tapped as Superman's Boss
Source: Hollywood Reporter
April 5, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Actor Frank Langella, who once chilled moviegoers as Count Dracula, has stepped into the role of Superman's boss, Perry White, in Bryan Singer's upcoming comic book adventure "Superman Returns" for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Hugh Laurie originally was cast in the role but bowed out because of a scheduling conflict with the Fox television series on which he stars, "House."

The medical drama, on which Singer is executive producer, has proved a surprise hit and was just picked up for a second season. Laurie had not yet shot any scenes on the movie, which began production March 21 in Australia.

In the Superman canon, White is the editor of the Daily Planet, the newspaper where the Man of Steel's alter ego, Clark Kent, works as a mild-mannered reporter.

In Singer's version, White has a son named Richard, played by James Marsden, who is Lois Lane's love interest.

Langella played Count Dracula in Universal Pictures' 1979 "Dracula." His other credits include TV's "Unscripted" and the features "Sweet November" and the upcoming "House of D."

Lets not forget Skeletor in "Masters Of The Universe"

http://www.wchstv.com/abc/thebeast/franklangella.jpg

alexanderluthor
i hope the entire cast see that nobody likes the idea of this movie and back out for good.

TheFilmProphet
There will always be some B-class actor (like the one above) and or actress that needs the job so unfortunately this movie is going to happen.

alexanderluthor
you said it first, this... is goin to be a B-class movie and it's unbelieveable cuz it's a SUPERMAN movie. mad

TheFilmProphet
Singer Confirms Superman Spaceship Rumor
April 5, 2005

Singer gives tour & speaks with Australian reporters on the set of
Superman Returns

I was just watching the 'Sunrise' program on Channel 7 here in
Melbourne Australia where they had an exclusive look at the Tamworth
set for Superman Returns. Bryan Singer spoke with the reporter, Micheal Pell, about various points of interest (already revealed here on SHH) of the film. However the one thing he mentioned was about the crash site.
The crash site isn't from Clark's child-hood, but in fact from his return to Earth at the beginning of the film.

optimus_rabs
Hate to say it boys and girls but the new superman movie is going to be a flop. You cannot revive all these great comic book heros to the big screen. The reason why comic books are so loved is because it allows your imagination to run rampid with crazy out of the world settings, plots and characters.
If you try and bring that to life via the big screen, you will only end up dissapointing. Especially as superman will require tons of great special effects and the what not to be pulled off.
Some of the only exceptional movies made from comic books were the original superman, the first 2 batman, maybe x-men (depends what floats your boat). And the reason why they were praised is because of good story lines, acting, plots.
You are dealing with a audience today that wants the best real life special affects, and thats what they judge the movie on. And the effects never live up to what it looks like in your head. Therefore good acting and story lines are sacrificed to make the biggest jam packed more special effects than star wars movie. Its a lose lose situation. Prime example 'The Hulk'
Granted 'yes' everyone wants to see their favourite superhero brought to life, however it will never live up to expectations.

alexanderluthor
Originally posted by optimus_rabs
Hate to say it boys and girls but the new superman movie is going to be a flop. You cannot revive all these great comic book heros to the big screen. The reason why comic books are so loved is because it allows your imagination to run rampid with crazy out of the world settings, plots and characters.
If you try and bring that to life via the big screen, you will only end up dissapointing. Especially as superman will require tons of great special effects and the what not to be pulled off.
Some of the only exceptional movies made from comic books were the original superman, the first 2 batman, maybe x-men (depends what floats your boat). And the reason why they were praised is because of good story lines, acting, plots.
You are dealing with a audience today that wants the best real life special affects, and thats what they judge the movie on. And the effects never live up to what it looks like in your head. Therefore good acting and story lines are sacrificed to make the biggest jam packed more special effects than star wars movie. Its a lose lose situation. Prime example 'The Hulk'
Granted 'yes' everyone wants to see their favourite superhero brought to life, however it will never live up to expectations.

there's no better way to say for the entire people who doesn't want this to happen "we don't like this movie"... man! you said everything and i agree, you need special fx in a superman movie, but it's not all that u need, you also need good acting, and a good story, otherwise you'll end up with a hulk movie, oh you just missed spiderman, cuz that was another movie where the comic was brought to real life sad

Mr Parker
I dont like the idea of another Superman movie being made.Chris Reeve is the one and only Superman,there is no other.There are many comicbook movies, the most famous ones actually,that need to be redone because they were so horrible but Superman is not one of them.Superman the original movie was a one and a kind magical movie experience that cant be done again in a restart.Bad idea for a new Superman movie.I wont be able to bring myself to see it when it comes out because again Chris Reeve is the one and only Superman.There is no other.

Superdisgusted
Sorry...new to post and haven't quite caught up on all that's been discussed but I am just going to break into my little rant...is there anyone else out there who is disgusted by the choice of actors to play superman? Brendan Routh? He is very week chinned to be playing the MAN of Steel. It's almost as bad as the Nick Cage casting a couple of years ago. Well, filming is scheduled to start in July I think and I am interested in starting a petition against the casting. Not that I'll save the world from this mess, but with enough voices at least our opinion may be heard. Did they even screen test this guy? Maybe it's just me but Superman always seemed like a character that could command presence in both poise and wisdom not star in a backstreet boy concert.
It's my opinion that they should have taken a harder look at the fan base and even some of those comic artists best known for portraying Sups.....esp IMO an artist like Alex Ross. Now there's a superman. Anyhow, just trying to get a feel on the opinions out there about this new actor. thanks mad confused

alexanderluthor

Jedi Shmedi
Oh man you guys need to check out the Superman shield they are using in Superman returns, the article is at www.superherohype.com it looks awesome!

Superdisgusted
true enough....the petition was more a rant than anything else. But am I alone in thinking that the casting, not just Routh (but esp Routh) is terrible. Spacey as Luthor?...doesn't seem tough enough.

TheFilmProphet
Jackman in Talks for Superman Returns?
April 17, 2005

Consider this a rumor for now, but Dark Horizons has received an interesting bit:

I'll give you a great little bit on Superman though - Singer's talking to Jackman about doing an appearance in the film, from what I can gather as Jonathan Kent in flashback scenes to Clark's youth. I don't think it's signed, sealed and delivered - but upon quering what they were talking about, I was told (not by Deb, but by a notable someone else present)."

We'll have to wait and see if that works out.

TheFilmProphet
Sunday April 17th, 2005 10:55am
Source: Dark Horizons

"Superman" Extra's Spy Report

Last week shooting at one of Sydney's major transport hubs literally stopped traffic and caused all sorts of excitement. Now, 'Glebe Boy' drops in his report from that action which is looking to be repeated again this weekend but on a smaller scale:

"I was an extra this week in scenes for SUPERMAN RETURNS, being shot in downtown Sydney. One of the many extras, mind you. It's only my second ever gig - after a bit in ATTACK OF THE CLONES - but it's fun stuff. I thought you might like a quick run-down. I was hired to play one of the many people standing outside the Metropolis hospital - where we had to cry and pray for Superman to become well. The place where I usually get public transport home is now, well, a film-set.

We were informed to dress-down, and wear rain coats, because they wanted to get some rain machines going on in the scenes at times. It's a sad scene were Superman is on his death bed....we're not told why....and where we, the people of metropolis, band together to pray for his recovery. Originally we were told it was a death scene for one of Superman's friends - but when we got there, we were handed banners, and told to cry for "Superman"! News-reporters hover about (Lois Lane is, of course, 'on the scene'), cameramen, and little kids everywhere - who are blubbering over Superman dying. A lady had to stand next to me, looking like she was my wife, and had a sign wavering about saying 'Save our Hero!'.

I'm not sure whether or not he does cark it in this scene, but another of the extras tells me he heard he does - but is reincarnated as a stronger version of himself, something from the comics, which I have never read. Shamefully. There is a mass of floral around the scene - roses, daisies, posies etc, left for Superman - and we did spot several bunches in the transport trucks that were dead, almost black. We wondered whether they might have been 'dried out' on purpose - say, for a scene later (when we're gone), where he does indeed die? I think this is a scene at the start of the movie, so I guess that explains why he would 'go away for a while' and not come back for several years?

We never got to see Brandon Routh, he wasn't even on-set. I think he was shooting later in the week, in Fox Studios, in the scene with Richard Branson. But he definitely wasn't here either day. At lunch, Bryan Singer came over to say hello to some of us. He's a really nice guy - softly spoken (so hard to hear at times) but pleasant. He hopes to do most of the Superman sequels apparently, if "they have him", he joked. And joked that he's going to "Stick with Brandon". He is going to do "Logan's Run" after this. He wants to do it in Sydney too - which will be great for us."

TheFilmProphet
More Superman Returns Updates
Source: Superhero Hype!
April 17, 2005

We've received more new updates on Superman Returns, starting with this rumor from an anonymous source which should be taken with a grain of salt for now:

It seems Superman Returns is getting the Batman Begins works over at W.B. only bigger. The marketing will begin over a year in advance-starting with the teaser trailer that is now scheduled to air with Batman Begins, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Word is Sony Pictures Imageworks is about to start work on about 10 special fx shots that will be featured in the trailer. The official website is also scheduled to be activated around this time, as well, a teaser poster. Then in November, the second trailer will be released with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Rumor is W.B. wants to have the same trailer with King Kong as well. W.B. is also curently shopping for movie tie ins and product placement, and it comes as no surprise that the companies are lining up. Expect more announcements soon, including what is going on with Jor-el.

Also, 'Tim' scanned this article from UK's Daily Express for us which features several set pictures:

http://tinypic.com/4ingxg

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>