Slaine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pandemoniac
I'd like to give some attention to a comic just a little different from the mostly Marvel series discussed here (not that I don't admire those, don't get me wrong).

Slaine, written by Pat Mills, painted (not drawn!) by various artists, like Simon Bisley and Dermot Power. This series is based on medieval myths, telling the story of Celtic king Slaine and his ever ongoing struggles with the gods, demons, barbarians and all that he thinks brings his people in jeopardy.
The storytelling is fantastic, often bizarre and the artwork just blows me away. It covers everything from stunning landscapes and beautiful women to hideous monsters and extremely gory battles.
Slaine himself is an uncompromising sarcastic bad-ass, rules with the iron fist and has undoubtedly the highest bodycount on his name of all comicbook personages.

I was curious if anybody else here is familiar with Slaine and what they think of the books. For those who don't know it, take a peek in one if you get to find one, very amazing!

ScarletSpider
I've never heard of it, but it sounds great. Quite Conan like. I'll check it out.

pr1983
i read couple of issues, twas really good, but living in ireland its not the easiest to get a hold of

Pandemoniac
As images say more than a thousand words, I'll post a picture of slaine himself in action... see what I'm talking about, hehehe

Pandemoniac
Oh, that's just me. let's try that again

who?-kid
Before anybody thinks Slain is just your average brainless barbarian with an attitude => forget it. He has brains and uses them. But he also has a very big axe and uses that even more smile.

The best comics of Slain were the first five, where he became king and so. After these, it was still fun, but not as much as it was, maybe with the exception of The Treasures of Britain (great artwork).

Favorite catchphrase of Slaine : Kiss my axe !

who?-kid
In Slaine comic number 2 or 3, when you look real good, you can actually see Conan make a guest appearance. And he did't look that happy smile.

Pandemoniac
Got him! Book 3, page 36, second picture! Slaine has just been appointed as the true king and Conan is indeed not smiling about it...
Thanks!

who?-kid
My pleasure.

MERCILOUS
Really? What series is that?

Both Slaine and Conan are some of my favorite reading material. Maybe someone should make a forum on who would win a fight. Slaine, master of the warp spasm or Conan, who has too many titles to list them all in a timely and efficient manner.

Pandemoniac
The 3rd book; 'King of kings'. In the second picture of page 36 Conan appears, looking very unhappy.

A duel between Slaine and Conan would indeed be very interesting. I do think the warp spasm would tip the scales in favor of Slaine...

big gay kirk
Any Slaine fans... check out the original (black and white) series published in IPCs "2000AD" comic, way back in the 80s... Beast in the Broch, The Knucker, Ukko the Dwarf... and the incredibly gorgeous nest and Medb... and Niamh, of course....

MERCILOUS
Those stories were all exceptionaly written. I don't think anyone else was doing anything so off-beat at the time. Slaine has never been a typical hero type.

MERCILOUS
Thanks Pandemoniac

Pandemoniac
No problem! Say, I want to go check out Lobo, you look like you can tell me some details! All I've seen so far on the DC site were 3 issues by Simon Bisley, but I came across 'normal' comic drawings of him here.
Does Bisley just make a special once in a while? And in which format are they published (hardcover, paperback ect)?
Thanks in advance!

MERCILOUS
Bisley is a master of his own respect, and is probably the highest paid free lance artist out there. Unfortunetly he's just that, free lance. He only draws when he wants or needs money.
Since Lobo has always had difficulty staying afloat, most of his stories are mini-series and are ususally collected in TPB format. Lobo's back entails the origin of some of his powers and is his defining story. You're pretty safing buying any of his trades. The series to my knowledge is not in any TPB format and i've had some difficulty collecting them my self.

Pandemoniac
Thanks man! I've got 2 really good comicbook-stores nearby, I'll check those out for Lobo stuff. They must have the Bisley books.
And for the collecting, I know the problem... Even Slaine is sometimes hard to get by in hardcover format.
But I'll let you know what I'll find and how I like them.

MERCILOUS
You are most welcome. Thank you as well.

Abaddon
Slaine is god

Filth
Slain is one of the best comic books (exculdind Judge Dred, strontium dog if anyone has read them!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.