Horror Movies and Holidays: GAME

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MagsMom
Here's an idea... We KNOW there's movies about Halloween and we all know of Silent Night, Deadly Night at Christmas. But, are there horror movies for EVERY holiday?

Who can think of a horror movie to go with each of the following holidays?
I can think of some right off the bat, others I'm having some trouble with!

Groundhog Day:
Valentines Day:
President Day:
St. Patricks Day:
April Fool's Day:
Arbor Day:
Easter:
Mothers Day:
Memorial Day:
Flag Day:
Independence Day:
Halloween!:
Veterans Day:
Thanksgiving:
Christmas:
New Year's Eve:

makaky
This is an interesting idea to try and figure out! As you said some could be obvious (like Halloween and April Fool's Day - where the name is the same) but some will be challenging to come up with. Good job coming up with this, MagsMom - let the games begin!! big grin

slasherpunk18
Maybe Valentine ?
I haven't seen the actual movie,but i think it takes place around then.

roundisfunny
"Valentine" (2001) or My Bloody Valentine" (1981). I saw the latter when I was a kid; not bad (if you're a kid).

"Groundhog Day" (1993) was not a horror film, but I suppose it would be scary to go through what Phill Connors did (at first). The same applies to "Independence Day" (1996).

Would any of the "Leprechaun" movies count for St. Paddy's day? I never saw any of them, so I don't know if the holiday itself has anything to do with it.

I'm not sure how you could make Flag, Day, Arbor Day, Veterans Day or Memorial Day scary; maybe have killer trees, or Civil War soldiers rising from their graves to carry out their battles on the living?

Also, don't forget Columbus Day and Martin Luther King Day. There's horror movie potential if I ever saw it.

makaky
LOL roundisfunny!!! I needed that tonight - it's been a loooonnngg Monday! The movie I Still Know What You Did Last Summer took place on Independence Day also. Found a horror movie called Habit that took place on Thanksgiving. And last but not least for me right now - there was a horror/comedy movie called Mother's Day - guess when it took place?? Father's Day wasn't on the list either but Stepfather (I think) happened partly on that day.

MagsMom
What I've come up with so far are:

Groundhog Day: I guess Groundhog day!
Valentines Day: My Bloody Valentine and Valentine
President Day:
St. Patricks Day: I guess the Leprauchan movies would fit!
April Fool's Day: April Fools Day
Arbor Day:
Easter:
Mothers Day: Mother's Day
Memorial Day:
Flag Day:
Independence Day: Uncle Sam
Halloween!: all the Halloweens of course
Veterans Day: The Prowler, maybe?
Thanksgiving:
Christmas: Silent Night, Deadly Night series, Christmas Evil, Black Christmas
New Year's Eve: Terror Train

And, I can't believe I forgot Stepfather! Good catch Makaky!

MagsMom
According to imdb.com, there is actually a movie called "Arbor Daze" (2003) that is classified as a "horror/comedy."

I guess for Easter, we could include "Night of the Lepus" or "The Being (alternatively entitled "Easter Sunday"wink.

Not really a horror movie, but very disturbing is "The House of Yes" which is set during Thanksgiving Holidays.

makaky
Good job everyone! Looks like we got most of them covered. Now comes the REALLY hard part - finding possibilities for the rest of them.

MagsMom
I think there should be one for Thanksgiving with a homicidal turkey going on a rampage killing people. And, when he does so, he pulls out THEIR wishbones.

Says Mr. Movie Voice, "This November, there ARE no leftovers...when you like your meat with a dark side....this Turkey will gobble YOU up."

makaky
LOL, MagsMom! Instead of Tales from the Darkside (dark meat, get it?), which unfortunately has already been taken, you could just call it "Terror Tales of the Turkey"! smile

tankfreak
I was actually trying to compile a similar list in a live journal community called horror_junkies.

What I've got so far is -

New Year - Bloody New Year
Valentine's Day - Valentine and My Bloody Valentine
St. Patrick's Day - Leprechaun and all of it's sequels
April Fool's Day - April Fool's Day
Easter - Night Of The Lepus and Critters 2
Mother's Day - Mother's Day
Memorial Day - ???
Father's Day - Creepshow or The Stepfather
Independence Day - Uncle Sam
Labor Day - ???
Grandparent's Day - Rabid Grannies
Halloween - Halloween..duh. And about a million other horror movies.
Thanksgiving - ???
Christmas - Silent Night, Deadly Night and all it's sequels, Jack Frost

SlipknoT
presidents Day: Uncle Sam

tabby999
hahaha, i saw that movie in a dvd shop and laughed quite hard. what a ****ing weak plot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.