If the US was still a part of Britain...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§pearhead
...how do you think current-day politics would differ?

eleveninches
Well, for a start, Britain would be a lot richer.

A lot less americans would own guns

Peloquin
Look to northern Ireland. Along with the IRA you'd have the ARA. smile

xeous
Germany would own the world.

KidRock
^ how so?

Barf Heaven
'cause America is starting to suck yes

Though I don't see the relevance of his comment...

VENOMfan
I would eat bean's with breakfast

Lord Soth
-Britain would be a lot richer
-America would be a lot less f*cked up
-no elections
-we might have lost WW2 (don't know for sure)

Barf Heaven
We would suck less yes yes yes

VENOMfan
damn striat....but i still dont want bean's with breakfast.
I hear people are nicer in brittain too. or American's are *******'s one or the other

Barf Heaven
Why would you have to eat beans for breakfast? What the f**k?

VENOMfan
Im pretty sure that's the English breakfast, everything is the same, but served with baked bean's on top. I just couldnt see starting the day with well................... ass fule

Barf Heaven
I seriously doubt that...

VENOMfan
English breakfast

Definition: A large, hearty breakfast that can include fruit or juice, eggs, ham or other meat, fish, cereal, baked goods, jam and tea. Compare to continental breakfast.

hmmmm no bean's.....well my source's were wrong but I stick by my wheat Chex that stuff rule's

Krosus
If Britain would of held onto their American assets there would have actually probably been more mini euro-wars because it would have been strategically impossible for one country at that time to hold onto the vast size of America and the natural resources America had would have been reason enough for everyone to want a piece of the place. And yes there would have been an American terrorist organization every country who has people that believe they live under the rule of a foreign or alien influence has their dissidents.

P.S
--English cooked breakfast--(obviously not all at once but this is common parts):
Beans
Mushrooms
Hash browns
Black pudding
Bacon
Sausages
fried eggs/Scrambled eggs
Plum tomoatoes/fried tomatoes
fried bread
Toast
tea/coffee/fruit juice

Ushgarak
That simply does not follow!

ash007
na it would be wired.
By the way people in the U.S are much nicer smile here in the UK most people are moody bastards.

Yeah Beans on toast is very nice smile

Corran
mad Hey I'm not moody. Grrr

ash007
yeah i know smile

But when i walk down the street here noone says hello to me
but when i went to the US last year they were very nice and everyone kept on saying morning and stuff it was very nice.

Corran
Depends where you are, I work down South and find the people less friendly, I live in the North West and the people are sooo friendly.

ash007
yeah i live in London

sad

But the yanks love our accents thats one advatage

Corran
There you go, I work in surrey region, a little south of London.

ash007
yeah but when i am uni which is in Birmingham its not bad.
very cold but nice

shaber
Phew, the US are IMMEASURABLY better of separate nowadays, given how low the UK has sunk in recent decades.

Ushgarak
Odd thing to say. We are doing far better now than fifty years ago.

shaber
That could not be further from the truth!

Krosus
Hmmm, I tend to find the poorer or more ethnically divergent areas less friend. Take Luton town (30 miles north of london approx) where i work very mixed bag of nationalities and races and its pretty icy place atmosphere wise, If you tried to talk to someone you didnt know you'd prolly get decked. Hitchin where i live which is literally 8 miles away has quite a nice atmosphere its quiet-ish, and I don't feel uncomfortable or unsafe going out at night to the pub in the town centre etc. strange how communitys work. You might remember Luton from such Riots as the Marsh farm riots a few years back wink.

Ushgarak
Pure ignorance. That is EXACTLY the truth. Check out some history. The time after the war was a period of continual decline for the United Kingdom which had given more than it had, but in the last 20 years that trend has reversed and we have climbed back up the rankings of most prosperous countries.

Ushgarak
It's nothing compared to racial tensions in, say, LA.

JKozzy
thumb up We do! stick out tongue

Linkalicious
if you mean Los Angeles...it's not fair to talk about racial tensions. There are more different races in Los Angeles than probably any other city in the world with possibly the acception of New York. Especially when you have religious leaders like Jesse Jackson who insist that the black man is still opressed by the white man. There are certain small areas of LA that are livid with racial tension..but here are also places that embrace every individual and their ethnic backgrounds.

lil bitchiness

Linkalicious
Yup lil....the pound is spanking the dollar right now. I think it's like 2.14 times the dollar at this moment. But its really all relative. What do you guys pay for an average value meal at McDonalds (u got those right?) because we pay about $5 depending on the meal and the extent of the Super Size.

Ushgarak
Pound will get too strong soon.

As for LA... that's only the same as London. Or any British city. Cities are big places- there are parts where things are fine, and parts where they are not!

But in the final analysis racial tension is far worse in the US than the UK; that is simply how things have worked out.

Crime in general is greater in the UK- once you factor out murders, which is in turn due to the US gun crime rate which, as everyoine knows, just takes the piss.

Let face it- HOW would the US still be a part of the UK? NOWHERE is still a part of the UK other than the UK! All that could happen is that the US would be a Commonwealth member. Like Canada. You would hardly call Canada 'part' of the UK, would you?

'If' the US was still a part of the UK then the UK probably would have fallen over quite a while ago... the days when you could run that sort of thing from afar are long gone, that is part of why the Empire was wound up.

Costs are higher in the UK. Talking of winding up, though, I understand supersize is on the way out...

lil bitchiness
Whats this about supersize? confused
But yeah, I have to agree...no possible way US could have stayed part of the UK erm
Besides, not ALL parts of US were part of UK...some belonged to Spain and such...

Fëanor
Unfortunately the racial tension being what they are is brought about by people who wish to keep that tension...

If the US were still part of UK, then more than likely our gov. would resemble the UK with minor exceptions, as it would be a common wealth with a rich resource that the UK would utilize...

And to a certain degree, our borders would be lax to those seeking opportunities that are less than from where they originate...

And if this does not make sense, then forgive my ignorance...but I for one am glad the US is not part of the UK even if you DO have cool accents and a history that is ancient and sometimes laced with fascinating stories of myths and legends...

Ushgarak
"And to a certain degree, our borders would be lax to those seeking opportunities that are less than from where they originate..."

Errr... what gives you that idea?

Linkalicious
yeah i agree with what Feanor said...

and yes Ush...super sizes are on their way out. Who the hell needs a 32oz or 40oz drink anyways? Jesus that would require like 3 trips to the rest room and hours upon hours of caffeine-y hyperness.

Isn't gas in the UK like 4 pounds? that's gotta suck if it's true...

burlyman

Linkalicious

burlyman
A double cheeseburger on its own is 99p ~yes

Fëanor
forgive me if i'm wrong, but it seems easier for people to enter the UK, far less stringent than here even before a certain event that took place not too long ago...it may have changrd since then...but asylum seekers(so called) are not turned back as they are here...take for example: the cubans, the haitians...

lil bitchiness
Still a lot of money to give for McPoison.

But on the topic, i cant really think about politics, since there was no possible way of US being still part of UK...its just....a little bizzarre!

Ushgarak
Our borders are pretty open, especially inside the EU, but I understood the US was as well- except for countries it has no diplomatic relations with.

Yes, petrol prices are mighty high here. Mind you, that's a European thing. Petrol here is taxed FAR more than in the US.

That said, the need for car transport in the US is much higher.

You don't want to get into exchange rates; that is complex economics. On the whole, most things are cheaper in the US- it is the richest country in the world, after all. Kinda helps.

But yes, the question is bizarre; it implies the UK is in the business of owning anything colonial. Frankly, such a situation would probably mean more changes to the UK than the US!

shaber
As the US is racially segregated that racial tension problem is only really an issue in the UK. Take NYC, it has the most different races, but is on a grid pattern.

If the US were still part of the UK, that really is no guarantee that it would be similair. The US is far distant. A good many factors could still be different. If the UK were destroyed then the US would still be able to carry on.

shaber
But the only nutritional value is in the cardboard box! laughing out loud

KidRock
to many bloody wankers in england! jk

Ushgarak
Oh yeah. I forgot THAT bit...

ash007
i don't know i mean i wouldn't want to live in a country where my next door neigbour is likely to have a gun sad .

I dont know i mean it could benifit the US because they will have a bigger culture as the US is only 280 years old but the UK has been around for 800 years

Ushgarak
The UK has not! The UK in its modern form is about 80 years old, the Union in general about four centuries old.

If you want to talk about England, Scotland, Wales or even Britain, then we are looking at millennia old.

Linkalicious
Well living next to someone that has a gun really isn't a problem. You need to have a license to carry one. And who's to say that the UK doesn't have sickos (who could be your neighbor) that have a gun illegally?

I'm personally more freightened by the people who have illegal firearms than I am by people who aquired them by getting a license. Just like driving...carrying a gun is a responsibility...

Ushgarak
Actually, I would rather this did not turn into a 'which is worse out of UK and US' thread, which I am worried it may do...

ash007
ok i am sorry

Linkalicious
as am i

Fëanor
me three...

JKozzy
No country is better than any other country. There were really big differences in opinion in the 1700s and 1800s, but this is 2004, and I'm sure we're mature enough to know the difference. Things would have been really different if the US were still part of the UK/GB/whathaveyou. Who knows, perhaps 9/11 wouldn't have happened messed

big gay kirk
the biggest difference would be that American troops would no longer be several years late to every war... for instance, WW1 begins in 1914, the yanks arrive in 1917... WW2 begins 1939, the Americans arrive 1941... The American Civil War begins in 1825, but as both sides are American, neither show up until the 1860s...

big gay kirk
Also Vietnam war films would not totally ignore the Australians, and what few korean war films there are would not ignore the Leicestershire Regiment and the Gloucesters, who were there as well...

eleveninches
Big cities in US would be like medium sized cities in UK, and medium sized citiees in UK would be like big american cities.

eleveninches
We would not be having this disscussion on this forum!!
wink

Lady Bri
i'd join! big grin but hey look i don't have to

Lady Bri
Would the US have expanded as much? Or would Mexico have the West? Or would Britain have taken that too? Or would the Proclamation of 1763 still be in effect?

To a history lover who is also a fervent Irish nationalist living in the US, this is a loaded question yes i could ramble on for hours!

§pearhead
Please do, thats what the GDF is for big grin

Linkalicious
I'm inclined to believe that some Asian civilizations might be in control of the far west and that the south would be under the control of Mexico. There were a lot of Asian traders that ventured into America in order to find a better life for themselves, only to have their dreams crushed in order to create a continental railroad. Thousands of Asian settlers died creating those railroads and their bodies were just thrown aside much like those who built the Great Wall of China...it's really both a high and low for our country...

But America's belief in Manifest Destiny is the only reason why America is as large as it is...

Lord Soth
She can, too. I've heard her do it

eleveninches
Would the US have its own flag?

Maybe it would have gained its independance eventually, but would still probably be a part of the commonwealth. Maybe the stars part of the US flag would be replaced with the Union Jack, making it related to the UK in the same way that the australian, new zeeland and fiji flags are.

tptmanno1
well are we talking about if the revolution never heppened or if it failed?
Because if it never happened, out world on a global scale woule be totally different. Because if the American revolution never happened it woule probably mean that the Enlightement would have never occured. This would mean that most of the other revoulutions, French, Haitian, and the various south American ones woule have never occured, and most of the world would eb under the control of the few western European countries, Spain , Portugal, and Britan. Also the Muslim empires would be a larger power and todays central of learnign might be located in western Europe or even some other unforseeable place.

Ushgarak
What on Earth makes you think the French Revolution would never have happened?

Frankly I think the differences would have been much smaller than normally imagained...

BTW, Eleven, the original independant US flag did ineeed have the Union Jack in the corner where the stars now are.

finti
QUOTE]This would mean that most of the other revoulutions, French, Haitian, and the various south American ones woule have never occured, and most of the world would eb under the control of the few western European countries, Spain , Portugal, and Britan. Also the Muslim empires would be a larger power and todays central of learnign might be located in western Europe or even some other unforseeable place. WHAT????. There were already a lot of nasionallistic movemnents around Europe. France were allready in turmoil, remember the fathers of the US fight for independance were very much influenced by the European writers Voltaire, Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Thomas Paine (English by Birth). These were read around by people of great influence with revolutionary ideas. So what happen in the late 1700 was an global uprising against the colonial powers, the monarchy and Unions of countries.

The muslims were stopped at the steps of Polje in Kosovo by the Serbs in 1389. They were able to occupy Serbia but the battle took so much out of the Ottomans that the surrounding Kinkgdoms of romania and Hungary were able to build a deffence against the Ottomans(Turks)

So the American revolution was sign of the times they just responded fastest to the on going feelings and were able to capitalize on it as well.

tptmanno1
thats what I am saying,
If we are going to say the thought of revolution never occured to teh american colonists, then that would have to mean the People that Finiti mention would have never existed adnthe world woule be different.

Its just also how specific yopu want to be, or what do you mean, "Still owned by Britan"

BTW I was really tired when I wrote my first post...

Ushgarak
Err, like I said before, there would be no question of still being owned by Britian.

France would have gone ahead just the same.

eleveninches
Do you mean still part of britain, or just a colony or just a part of the commonwealth with its own government

Ushgarak
Commonwealth member is about as far as you could go.

Lord Soth
I'm pretty sure America would be a better place. The whole idea for a 3-system government had honorable intentions, sure, but it's caused so much more harm in the world than good. Then again, this is naturally corrupt humanity we're talking about, I should not be surprised

eleveninches
/\ yuo, it would be a better place. There would be far less gun crimes, and most importantly, it would not be run by GW Bush!!

finti
ehhh what I said was that the revolutions around Europe would have happen regardless if the US never had their thoughts of revolution. They had those thoughts in other places too.
What I said that it was the sign of times then, which means that it was an ongoing process about the a lot of simmilare issues in a lot of different places.

Myth
I bet if US was still part of Britain, we would be like Canada.

finti
that would be aboot it

Corran
You mean you would get more cold weather? confused

finti
no they would talk funny

Corran
Like the Americans do?

finti
yeah, kind of dumbsounding devil

Corran
I personally think this is a mute thread because the States as they are now ie United Stated were never part of the UK, different states were owned by different countries.

finti
indeed so Corr, good point big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.