Darth Sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gangularis
this could be posted anywhere... so meh.

how come sith all have the word darth in their titles?

what's a darth?? anyone???

chilled monkey
I believe 'Darth' means Dark.

Sith change their names on becoming Sith to honour Darth Bane. He created the 'always two there are' practise, which was the only way they could survive. Before that, when there were many Sith, they were not all called Darth something. One of them, for example, was Exar Kun (the first to ue a two-bladed lightsaber.)

jedijunky1138
DAR..k lords of the si..TH. DAR....TH

Darth Jello
just wait till may and you'll probably find out. apparently the next movie will have a buttload of that kind of stuff since we are supposed to see at least some scenes of anakin training and learning about the sith knights.

dickman136
Now if vader was called Darth Vader what would be the title of sidious if he was the master and obvious lord of the sith?

Boris
Em Darth Sidious....... lol

captainmidnight
yeah...i was always told that the word DARTH was synonomys with DARK LORD OF THE SITH,very cool JJ!!!

Xam
it is to honour darth bane!

Jeff-Man
were do they get the names after the darth? do they just make em up?

Sith Master X
Their names usually follow a certain meaing, all I know is that the Master gives his apprentice the name...I believe.

§pearhead
as earlier mentioned, it's DARk lord of the siTH. Darth is a title, like Mister, but in this case it means they're a sith lord.

mc pee pants
it just sounds cool. plus, it would be totally exhausting saying "dark lord of the sith maul" or "dark lord of the sith vader"...

tony_bolony
I read a quote from GL somewhere, and I can't remember where (sorry)
that the meaning behind the name 'Vader' will be revealed in Ep3.

GCG
Vader = Rebirth perhaps ?

or Vader = Father ? finally Anakin has a father and its sidious ..............................oh whatever

Gangularis
or maybe vader = crazy ****ed up guy with robotic limbs.

mephistodesigns
he's said multiple times over the years that he chose the name because Vader meant father....i.e. Luke's father. But we will have to wait till ROTS to find out it's in-universe meaning.

Darth Surgent
Actually, Vader=Invader - In

Just as Sidious=Insidious - In

<---Just as Surgent=Insurgent - In

(It doesn't seem like a coincidence to me)

Gangularis
so like darth intyranous and drath inmaul??

Darth Surgent
No, they don't have to have the "-In" thing. It's just the origin of how those two names were determined. GL obviously came up with Maul and Tyranus to show that it's not a rule, but just a small stylistic pattern.

Gangularis
i was just bein facetious.

queeq
Why?

Gangularis
why what?

you know what facetious means, right??

it means i was joking about the "darth inmaul and darth intyranous" comments... j o k i n g

is this why you say "why?"

queeq
Why do you ask "is this why you say "why?" "?

stick out tongue

captainmidnight
I always wondered that too why ask why?

jedijunky1138
drink bud dry

captainmidnight
yeah,i shall try a bud dry,i dont know why,but i'll try....

Ushgarak
Err... when did he say this?

When he developed Vader's character, he wasn't Luke's father...

captainmidnight
...but how do you explain that face kenobi made when he was telling luke about vader destroying his father,or when beru says luke has too much of his father in him,and lars saying thats what i'm afraid of......

jedijunky1138
the only thing I saw as far as a face goes is sadness. Can't he just be sad about loosing a good friend?

mephistodesigns
Ush, I'm not sure, there was a thread about this late last year or early this year, and a bunch of people pointed out that it means father in some language. I think that's a little too much of a coincidence...don't you? Maybe he wasn't Luke's dad when he came up with Vader because on the Bonus Disc he says originally Vader was to be the bad father and Obi-wan a good father, then he combinded the father idea to just being Vader. Lucas discusses this in the ANH commenary as well. So even at the time of ANH's final drafts and filming, Lucas knew Vader would be Luke's father, that's why Obi-wan looks uncomfortable when he tells Luke Anakin's story. Which ends up being B.S. from that whole certain point of view. Lucas also said he wrote a 200 page script which had the makings of ESB and ROTJ in them. He didn't have time to bring the whole Anakin is really Vader into it once he took the first act for the first movie out of the bigger script. Again, evidence he had it planned. So, maybe not when he "developed" Vader in the concept phase, but certainly when he finished the character and named him, since we apparently need to get so technical around here to be believed. big grin

jedijunky1138
But will his name be explained in ROTS? That question is still unanswered. And if anakin doesn't know Luke is his son (the added lines for the emperor in ESB) why would the Emperor give him the title FATHER in whatever language?

mephistodesigns
It doesn't mean that to the Emperor, it means that IN OUR WORLD. Two different things. I'm saying that's why LUCAS chose the name. I don't know how the Emperor will explain it.

jedijunky1138
OHHHH I see you'r point. Thanx for the explanation.

mephistodesigns
Dartj Surgent--that's what I always thought before anyone told me the father thing. I like that name reasoning. But won't it be lame if it just ends up that the Emperor just loves being evil so much that he names all his disciples with evil words? that seems really really crappy to me...I would hope he's smarter than that.

cornponious
That's funny, I always thought Vader meant "father".

cornponious

PVS
vader is dutch for father,
but in the original draft for ep4, he was not luke's father.
perhaps he was originally meant to be someone elses father.
its a weird cooincidence though isnt it?

Gangularis
ok, but still.. what is the final word on what Darth means??

jedijunky1138
TAA DAA!!!!!!!!!!

captainmidnight
well to me kenobi had that face like he was hiding something.....when he was telling luke about his father,yeah he was sad,but i dont know.... check out the part in ANH when he explains to luke how "vader destroyed your father"

mephistodesigns
PVS--not according to the DVD's and Lucas' commentary. He says by the time he wrote that 200 page script, he had all of that stuff realitively ironed out. The FIRST ACT of the 200 page script was expanded to ANH. He talks about how he didn't have time to get into Vader being Anakin, Luke's dad in ANH, so it ended up in ESB with more build up so it was a bigger deal. But he knew that whole part of the story. He said he wrote everyone's back story out in outline form, which is what he used to start eh prequels. This is in the commentary tracks of the DVDs.

Darth D@V€
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
Ush, I'm not sure, there was a thread about this late last year or early this year, and a bunch of people pointed out that it means father in some language. I think that's a little too much of a coincidence...don't you? Maybe he wasn't Luke's dad when he came up with Vader because on the Bonus Disc he says originally Vader was to be the bad father and Obi-wan a good father, then he combinded the father idea to just being Vader. Lucas discusses this in the ANH commenary as well. So even at the time of ANH's final drafts and filming, Lucas knew Vader would be Luke's father, that's why Obi-wan looks uncomfortable when he tells Luke Anakin's story. Which ends up being B.S. from that whole certain point of view. Lucas also said he wrote a 200 page script which had the makings of ESB and ROTJ in them. He didn't have time to bring the whole Anakin is really Vader into it once he took the first act for the first movie out of the bigger script. Again, evidence he had it planned. So, maybe not when he "developed" Vader in the concept phase, but certainly when he finished the character and named him, since we apparently need to get so technical around here to be believed. big grin

In Dutch (the Netherlands) vader = father

chris-tofer

PVS
thanks for bumping an ancient thread for some good ol' regurgitated EU

Moff jango
Vader is dutch for father

Morridini
Vader means father in many many languages. Doubt it has anything to do with Darth vader though.

Moff jango
Why not?

chris-tofer
Well I answered a bit of the question I supose..

Captain REX
But why? No need.

PVS
Originally posted by chris-tofer
Well I answered a bit of the question I supose..

you answered precisely nothing

Moff jango
lol

chris-tofer
I felt like it..

Sith-Nerd
how did sidious get darth "vader"?

Bicnarok
Darth means "Shadow Warrior"

Maul is German for Mouth, an animals mouth to be exact (human mouth is Mund)

ShadowKing
After naming him, Sidious usually uses Lord Vader...in fact, didn't Tarkin and Leia use Lord Vader?

Jedi Priestess
And the hits just keep on comin........ laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.