The Libertines

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sex Pistol
I dont know how many people out there have heared of the Libertines, but i love them!

I am really dissapointed about Pete, i feel sorry for him, Carl Barat, his girlfriend, and his Kid.

I hope he will eventually come off his drugs and get back with the Libs...What do you think?

ladygrim
i've heard of them...

Sex Pistol
Great arent they!

Df02
theyre on the record label my dad produces vinyls for, so i get all their albums and singles free before theyre released...along with most stuff on rough trade smile

finti
Pete talks about drugs as it is cool to take, actually they both flirting with the idea that drugs are cool. Musically well they are ok, but after listening to their album I was bored after 3 songs

Alice_In_Chains
i kinda like wat iv heard

pennyroyal
I LOVE THEM yaaaay not many people i know like em it is a shame, someone really needs to look after pete the band aint the same without him I dunno bout him comming off drugs if hes truly willing to do so then he will but its all up to him

lil bitchiness
Heard of them, but im not their biggest fan im afraid. Thats not to say that i think they're crap. Good musicians. thumb up

<<Solo>>
Sex Pistols

Sex Pistol
What about the sex pistols?

<<Solo>>
Ah sorry, I didn't finish typing, what I meant to say was, they aren't as good as the sex pistols. Even though I don't even know If I should be comparing the two.

Sex Pistol
The Libertines are very much like the clash, especially since Mick Jones (guitarist of the clash) producers them.

mechmoggy
I like some Libertines stuff, but not all of it.

Df02
i started off thinking i wouldnt like them, but it seems every 2nd libertines song i hear i really like.... just a pain cos i can only get them on vinyl lol, and its annoying playing stuff on vinyl :-S

i like 'what a waster' - 'cant stand me now' - 'up the bracket' but most the others i dont like

Sex Pistol
How come you can only get it on vinyl?

<<Solo>>
I'll second that question.

Df02
no, i meant i get it on vinyl for free....
i could go buy the CD's...but i get the vinyl for free so why bother lol?

dunno why i said i could only get them on vinyl...i meant i can only get them for free on vinyl, even tho my dad does get the CD's, i cant get them off him, u know?

Placebo_fan
i know ive only heard one or two songs from them, but 'cant stand me now' is a great song. Pete will get through it. Him and Carl are best friends.

Df02
yea, best friends....
dont know about you but i dont break into my best friends house to steal stuff to feed my heroin addiction... but hey, every1's different

Sex Pistol
Look!

They are still good mates. Pete may have done that but at the Reading festival they were talking to Carl, and he kept saying 'Pete isnt kicked out he's just a well needed break, because i cant admit to myself that would kick my best friend out of a band we both love. He will get through cause i hate to see someone i love going through hell.'

See!

<<Solo>>
Have you seen 24 Hour Party People?/Off Topic.

Df02
well good for him, personally i wouldnt consider sum1 who broke into my house, a m8

Sex Pistol
Well he isnt you though is he?

But im glad their still mates.

Sex Pistol
I recently got both their albums, and Pete has such a deep singing voice. But when he talks he sounds like a little kid. You wouldnt believe its the same person.

Sex Pistol
He has such a high childlike voice

Sex Pistol
Well the Libertines have stopped touring. I cried when i heared. Cos it means they've up now. If Pete comes back in the band they will get back together, but he's got babyshambles now. Its so heartbreaking.
Pete wants to do a christmas song with Carl. That would be fantasic but unlikely.
I saw Pete on a programme performing live with Babyshambles, and he looked half dead.
Good luck to Pete and Carl, I hope Carl's op goes well, and i hope Pete lives to see old age.

Sex Pistol
Ive got the Libertines dvd. Absolutly amazing.

Red Superfly
I can't for the life of me bring myself to listen to The Libertines for too long.

I saw em live too at Leeds Festival and they still didn't interest me.

What am I doing wrong? All of the most popular songs don't seem to be gelling with me, they just annoy the hell out of me.

Anyone suggest a good song that could possibly change my perceptions slightly?

I have loads of friends who have the same tastes as me, we all like Stone Roses, Smiths, The Clash, Killers, Jet, Zutons, Music, Nirvana, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Chillis etc etc etc but we always disagree on The Libs.

Load of bru-ha-ha about nothing.

Df02
especially since pete is a complete smack-head
i love some of the stuff, love the feel of the band etc... just hate the fact that hes such a cockend

id never buy any of their albums cos u can garuantee the money is going straight into his arm

Sex Pistol
I cant help you if you dont like the music then dont listen to it. But i will suggest a few songs. Abiet mach frei (sp), What katie did, I get along, boys in the band.

Libertine
Pete in rehab!
Carl going solo!

Alice_In_Chains
smile

Alpha Centauri
I agree with Red.

Just feel they're way too bland and boring really.

-AC

Libertine
Then dont listen to them simple as that.

Alpha Centauri
I don't. I heard their stuff, made my decision and then stopped.

What's your point? Do you have one? No?

Goodie.

-AC

Libertine
Ok? i was justing giving my opinion, whats the matter? Did i hit a saw nerve or something?

Alpha Centauri
Nope not at all.

I was giving mine. Your reply wasn't necessary at all.

"Don't listen to them then."

That was implied in my first post saying I didn't like them.

-AC

Libertine
Whatever... so who does like em?

jaden101
as much as i like the libertines...arbeit macht frei is the most insensitive name for a song i have ever come across in my life and dont like listening to it just for the name

and if you dont know what it means then i suggest you do a google search and see...it translates as "work will set you free" or "work brings freedom"

Libertine
Yes i know, if you listen to the song its all about what happened back then. The best lines in the song is 'her dad dont like blacks or queers, but he's glad we beat the Nazi's, how queer' Meaning he's a racist yet he's glad they beat other racists, because he probably never really payed attention to the Jewish situation, and only focused on the fact that his country was at war.

Victor Von Doom
Surely if you are intelligent enough to know that, you won't take in the knowledge without context or understanding.

Alice_In_Chains
^oohh Jeff...droolio

oh yeah whoo hoo for the Libertines and all tht

Libertine
Yep Libertines rock!

Alice_In_Chains
yeah they do..i find myself listening to thm more and more...
i have the boys in the band dvd..i cant help but watch it wink

Libertine
Me too! One of my fave bits is when Pete and Carl are singing in the back of the van.
The NME awards on it makes me cry when they resited the poem. I also like the bit where Petes on the floor and Carl bends down to give him a hug. Oh and the bit where Pete reads a letter from a fan to the audience and theres a one to Carl. 'For Mr Carlos, weeeell'

Alice_In_Chains
hehe yeah!! i love tht dvd!
wen Petes dancing but carl inst haveing none of it.
i love the van...wen Petes doing the phone interview and carl calls him a spanner eek!
tsk ooohh get her!

Alice_In_Chains
i aint got no buttons on me trousers and me pins are none too strong...

Libertine
I went to ball
and they called me cinderella
stood with them all
and they called me a tidy fella
then next to me came old mother brown
pullin' up her railway socks
she said to me come and have another dance
cos it aint quite twelve o clock

so off we go around and around
its the only dancing i know
cos ive got know buttons on my trousers
and my pins are not to long
hurry up mrs brown i can
feel them comin down
and it wont take none to long.

Libertine
Sorry thats pins arent to strong.

Alice_In_Chains
hehe i love tht bit its so cute

Libertine
It is int it.

Alice_In_Chains
i wears a button hole...thats the line.....not "stood with them all "

Libertine
Ok sorry, i was totally screwed up the day i wrote that. I mean i wrote pin arent to long instead of strong.

Alice_In_Chains
hehe its fair...

Libertine
I saw Pete on orange playlist last night. He looked high as a kite, but it was filmed when he and Kate first started to go out.

Lost_Again
*iwas sucking on a straw...where did that crab come from...?*

Libertine
I love that song. Its one of my fave b sides. Speaking of B sides, has any of you eard the man who came to stay by babyshambles, its the b side to killamongiro, i love it its one of my fave songs Pete has ever written.

Alice_In_Chains
I love that song..its great.
i saw pete on Orange playlist too....agreed on the highness...
muchos enjoyos...

Libertine
Yep it was good, did you see him on newsnight. That was a little upsetting.

Alice_In_Chains
no i didnt

Libertine
He was saying stuff like him and Carl are the parents of their lyrics, Carls the dad and he's the mam.

They also pulled a letter out from his mam, which was really sad.

Alice_In_Chains
awww he has tht little boy quality about him,,its sweet

Libertine
I know... his little boy must be even more sweet.

Did anyone see Carl on channel Four last night. The Libs were at number 50 of the 100 greatest albums.

Luciferia
I watched it but sumhow must have missed The Libertines....how did that happen, I wonder?????? confused

Df02
Originally posted by Alice_In_Chains
awww he has tht little boy quality about him,,its sweet

i hope my son isnt on heroin when he's a little boy...

Libertine
Hmm that was original.

Libertine
OH MY GOD! Pete and Carl spoke to each other last night for the first time in a year.

Libertine
Heres the proper song...

"I goes to a ball and they me Cinderella/ And upon my coat I wears a button hole and they call me a tidy fella/ well, next to me comes ol' mother Brown pulling up her railway socks/ She says to me come have another dance coz it ain't quite 12 o clock/ so if we go round and round and there's gonna be some trouble I know/ Coz I got no buttons in me trosers and my pins ain't none to strong/ hurry up mrs brown I can feel 'em coming down and it won't take none to long"

Alice_In_Chains
Originally posted by Df02
i hope my son isnt on heroin when he's a little boy...

haha yeah...hes just got tht lil lost thing about him its cute

Alice_In_Chains
haha i know the original song sweety

Libertine
I know i just love it.

Alice_In_Chains
haha its fair its a great song...they sing it so well

Libertine
SOmeone met Carl on Monday, she was walking down the street and saw that there was a photo shoot so she stopped and saw that it was Carl.

She got him to sign a COPIED cd of the libertines and babyshambles.
Then he came back over and chatted about stuff, such as the libs and Pete.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.