The Best Sequels?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

My name is Neo9
what sequels are worth watching?
imo... they are...

t2
aliens
die hard 2 die harder

Kes
IMO:
T2;
Aliens;
X2;
Blade2;

Can't think of anything else.

lukeyduckey
The America pies, 2 fast 2 furious (celebrate a Vin Deasel free zone), Ruch Hour 2 and shanghi knights you have to love Jakie Chan.

wicker_man
Aliens 2
Empire Strikes Back
T2:Judgement Day
Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
Dawn of The Dead
About it in my opninon.

Kes
Oh how could I forget The empire strikes back blink
Also what ever Indiana Jones comes after the 1st. I can never remember the order but I love them all so stick out tongue

wicker_man
The Temple of Doom is meant to be a prequel to that of the first film the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom is my favourite one though.

Kes
Ment to be a prequel or was it filmed before the Raiders of the lost Ark. I read something like that.

Neo_Version 7
The Godfather Part II!

Best bloody sequel ever chaps!

And Back To The Future Part II was ****in awesome!!

wicker_man
It was filmed after Raiders of The Lost Ark but meant to be a prequel to it.

Neo_Version 7
Oh, really? Thanks for the ****in insight chap!

wicker_man
The aforementioned quote was in reference to a question asked earlier by Kes sorry for any cross wires that may have been created as a result of this.

Kes
Dont apologize wicker, Neo version is just acting up.
I've warned you before Neo Version!

Korri
Reloaded!! n i can tell that Revolutions is gonna rock aswell smile

Neo_Version 7
Yo, just playin! I'm just ****in kiddin around! I'll try to keep it down Kes!

Kes
Thank you. You could tone the swearing down too.

eggmayo
Help me please... my gf wants to know some good sequels, and the only ones i can think of are mad max 2, evil dead 2 and scary movie 2.
please note i am only doing SEQUELS... not remakes or films in trilogies ect

Mr Zero
Godfather II

Back to the future part II

Aliens

Some folks will try to convince you that Terminator 2 also belongs on this list, even tho it sucked.

BackFire
Empire Strikes Back, Dawn of the Dead, Terminator 2, Spiderman 2, Two Towers, Aliens, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, X-2

roundisfunny
A Very Brady Sequel
Return of the Living Dead
The Naked Gun 2 1/2: the Smell of Fear
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Rocky II
Rambo: First Blood Part II

Bierbommetje
Yeah, well half of those ARE parts of trilogies/quadrilogies so ill say:

Kill Bill 2 big grin

And dont start on that one movie crap, I see it as two movies

EDIT: X-2 is X-men 2? Thats wasnt half bad indeed

Mr Zero
Noooooooooooooooooooo !

cgtuna21
The Godfather Part II
The Empire Strikes Back
The Two Towers

JKozzy
The Empire Strikes Back, Spiderman 2, Terminator 2, The Two Towers, Kill Bill Volume 2.

Thorondor
Die Harder, Two Towers, Jaws 2 laughing, American Pie 2

roundisfunny
The trick is going to be finding movies with good sequels that DON'T have at least three in the series.

<<Solo>>
Kill Bill Vol.2
Batman Returns
Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

Mr Zero
Folks, KB V2 isn't in any way shape or form a sequel - get over it.

<<Solo>>
This is somewhat correct mostly because they were both supposed to be one movie, and they're both his 4th film.

JKozzy
Yes, but I liked Volume 2 more than Volume 1... 1 was themed as a samurai movie, V2 as a western.

movieluver
obviously zero knows nothin' about movies, cuz T2 is the best sequel ever made, i also agree with the rockies, and back to the future. the second was my fave of the trilogy. Spider man 2 was allright, and the "scary" movies get funnier all the time as well.

the whole batman franchise is wierd. it started with tim burton, then people just started to basically add on. so you cant really yay or nay based on sequels. Its the directing style, the cast, and the story/script you go based on. i personally like them litterally in order as they go starting with Mr. Tim "genious" Burton

PippinTook
Shrek 2. rock Hehe.

<<Solo>>
It's obvious you know nothing about movies there,
1.All Rockie's (Except the first) were absolutely horrible.
2.T2 was pretty horrible.
3. Spider-man 2 was absolutely genious.
4.The first two Scary Movies were horrible with exception for the third.
5.Your whole "Batman Franchise is weird", comments make no sence.

Mr Zero
What have i been thinking - the greatest sequel in history is also perhaps the greatest movie ever made... it set the standard, raised the bar, everybody loves it (everybody thats worth anything...) and it's not been mentioned yet.

Any takers what this cinematic masterpiece - this glittering jewel - might be?

BackFire
Troll 2?

pr1983
t2, wrath of kahn, aliens, two towers, spiderman 2

Mr Zero
Nooooooo... joke right? i hope.

I'm serious, I'm talking about possibly my all time fave movie ever!

BackFire
Oh ok, hard to tell with you sometimes.

roundisfunny
Movieluver, hang around for a little while before you start in on anyone else's level of expertise. Mr. Zero and I haven't seen eye to eye on everything (yeah, I liked Temple of Doom. It may have been the weakest in the trilogy, but it wasn't horrible), but he does know the medium. Lay off the personal attacks, okay?

Now then: I re-read eggmayo's first post, and the three movies he listed (Mad Max 2, Evil Dead 2, Scary Movie 2) ARE part of trilogies. I think what he doesn't want is anything EXCEPT the "Part II" installments from various series.

And, for what it's worth:

LOTR: Meant to be a three-parter, so it's hard to choose one (but I choose the second).

Kill Bill: One movie, regrettably split in twain by the director instead of giving in to the studio heads who wanted him to trim it down.

Shrek 2--just as good, if not better than, the original. Same for "Spider-Man 2", but remember, both of these franchises have numerous sequels planned.

Empire--my personal least favorite of the OT, but only because of the down ending (hey I was ten--I needed closure)

T2--An exceptional sequel, IMO. The first film, for having such a strictly limited budget, produced an engaging, original action concept. The second movie did that too--an original story, almost non-stop action, humor, tributes to the first film without being repititious, and enough in the financial department to make some highly impressive and groundbreaking effects. Now...the third one...THAT sucked. Talk about overblown re-hash and unfunny tributes. Ick!

Rocky II--ended with Rocky beating Apollo, after a sentimental look at Rocky's personal struggle or supporting his family and keeping his dignity, after having tasted the good life ever so briefly. The third and fourth, I thought were good "popcorn fare", but the fifth was tripe.

Rambo--I didn't much care for the first; the second was a timely anti-commie action extravaganza, and the third was an attempt to cash in on the success of its predecessor.

Back to the Future--I'm perfectly happy with all three movies, and think they compliment each other well. They're as perfect a trilogy as the 80's ever produced.

Halloween/Freddy/Jason/Jaws/etc, etc--in the words of Sidney Prescott, "The first one was good, but the sequels sucked." Those types of movies run out of steam QUICKLY.

Indiana Jones--Granted, "Last Crusade" was the better of the two sequels, but they still both have that Spielberg magic.

Mad Max--The second one, "The Road Warrior" was the best, hands down, followed by the original, and then (shudder) "Beyond Thunderdome".

Scary Movie/Naked Gun/Bradys--As long as the jokes are fresh, keep makin' em, I say. But I would NOT agree that the third "Scary Movie" was best in that series. Volume 1 was.

Batman--just decreased in value with each film.

Mr Zero
Follow the linky to solve the mystery...

sequel magic!!!!

Even the picture brings a tear to my eye...

<<Solo>>
What a classic,classic movie.

BackFire
Wow, that just made me realize....I've never seen Toy Story 2. *runs off to the video rental store*

SaTsuJiN
I think terminator 2 was good.. predator 2 was good, umm.. hmm
spider man 2 and kill bill 2 of course.. if you can count that as a sequel o_O

movie_freak
Bourne Supremacy,X-men 2 & Shrek 2

forumcrew
T2 is definantly one of the best but Godfather is the only one to win the oscar for being the best

shellspeare
would you believe me if i said blair witch 2?

no?

don't blame you at all!

BadKitty
Aliens
Hellraiser II
Road Warrior
Evil Dead II
Empire Strikes Back
Shrek 2
Spiderman 2
Addams Family Values (my personal favorite)
Toy Story 2 ((thanks mr.zero) I hope I'll feel the same about a bugs life 2...theres a rumour it's in the works)

I didn't feel right including kill bill and lotr. to me those are both one movie.

BlackC@t
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
Spider-Man 2 (although I would have enjoyed it more if KMC hadn't ruined it)
Evil Dead 2 and 3

plus lots more!

BlackC@t
Oh, and Roundisfunny, that wasn't Sidney Prescott that said that, it was Drew Barrymore's character, which I'm glad she died because she called all of the Elm Street sequels sucky mad

Mr Zero
Smart cookie!

Disney will churn out more lookie-likey sequels of things they own the copyright to now that they no longer work with pixar. The $buck$ is what those properties are all about now. I even heard rumor of a straight to video Toy Story 3.... Its a sad world.

Curl_Up&Dye
I think im going to get lynched for this, but I liked Matrix: Reloaded. I actually enjoyed the whole trilogy with the exception of the underground Zion rave scene, and Trilogy's long, drawn out death in Revolutions

*cringes and hides from approaching angry mob*

Curl_Up&Dye
Austin Powers 2, Terminator 2, Kill Bill Vol2,

Aliens 2 (I get the actual movie titles confused...was it like Alien and then Aliens and then the crappy third one?)

I just saw the Whole 10 Yards (the sequel to the Whole 9 Yards)...I know this is a little off topic, but that is one of the worst sequels ever, don't even waste your money on it. I just rented it last night and oh man, if i didn't love my tv as much as i do, i would have put my foot through it and burned the tape.

eggmayo
round is funny... sorry... mad max 2 and evil dead 2 are not part of trilogies, as they were not planned to begin with like the star wars trilogy.

the only one of the three even close to being a trilogy is scary movie 2

deadly_force
i have to say that my personal fav is t2, lort:ttt is fantastic but then so is the third thats a sequel to right? messed

roundisfunny

Mr Zero
A new strata of dumb I've not previously encountered... KMC is a revelation each and every day!

ladygrim
even tho its a triliogy i much prefer ' the two towers...
i prefer the second bill and ted as well
and the second austin powers

Myth
Oh god that was awful.

Godfather 2
Aliens
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Terminator 2
Kill Bill 2 (if you count that)
Empire Strikes Back
Road Warrior
The Legend of Drunken Master (aka Drunken Master 2)
X-2

Mr Zero
Bill and Teds Bogus Journey!

Damn good call!

<<Solo>>
Nice List.

Mr Zero
somebody should compile what we have so far... I nominate - someone not quite so lazy as myself.

<<Solo>>
Nominate.

Mr Zero
and this differs from the ongoing "good sequels" thread by how much?

<<Solo>>
So Far We Have,
NOTE:I just copy and pasted.

Godfather II

Aliens
Empire Strikes Back, Dawn of the Dead, Terminator 2, Spiderman 2, Two Towers, Aliens, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, X-2
A Very Brady Sequel
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Rocky II
Kill Bill 2
X-2
The Godfather Part II
The Empire Strikes Back
The Two Towers
The Empire Strikes Back, Spiderman 2, Terminator 2, The Two Towers, Kill Bill Volume 2.
Die Harder, Two Towers, Jaws 2 , American Pie 2
Kill Bill Vol.2
Batman Returns
Shrek 2
t2, wrath of kahn, aliens, two towers, spiderman 2
terminator 2 , predator 2 was good,
spider man 2 and kill bill 2
Bourne Supremacy,X-men 2 & Shrek 2

Aliens
Hellraiser II
Road Warrior
Evil Dead II
Empire Strikes Back
Shrek 2
Spiderman 2
Addams Family Values
Toy Story 2

Spider-Man 2
Evil Dead 2
Austin Powers 2, Terminator 2, Kill Bill Vol2,

Aliens

<<Solo>>
The good sequels thread was basically a suggestion thread,

"Help me please... my gf wants to know some good sequels, and the only ones i can think of are mad max 2, evil dead 2 and scary movie 2.
please note i am only doing SEQUELS... not remakes or films in trilogies ect".

Mr Zero
Are you asking people to nominate ONE from the list - because if so you best make it clear for people as dumb as i am.

And I cleaned the list up a little in excel.

A Very Brady Sequel
Addams Family Values
Aliens
American Pie 2
Austin Powers 2,
Batman Returns
Bourne Supremacy,
Dawn of the Dead,
Die Harder,
Evil Dead II
Hellraiser II
Jaws 2 ,
predator 2
Road Warrior
Rocky II
Shrek 2
Spider-Man 2
T2 (Terminator 2)
The Empire Strikes Back
The Godfather Part II
The Two Towers
Toy Story 2
The wrath of kahn,
X-2

<<Solo>>
It doesn't have to be from the list, I'm just saying that's what's nominated so far.

Wolfie
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Evil Dead 2
Ginger Snaps 2
Kill Bill 2 (though I consider it as one big movie)
Matrix Reloaded (I liked all three, so sue me)
Scream 2
Spider-Man 2
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2
Wayne's World 2
X2

ladygrim
austin powers 2 marvelous i watched it last nite

deadly_force
resident evil 2 very good film

northern star
Star war V: Empires strikes back

long, long nothing

Godfather 2

eleveninches
Empire strikes back is the best sequel EVER!!!

Jedi Priestess
Id have to go with ESB and The Wrath of Kahn.........and who the hell nominated
A Very Brady Sequel?? blink

that's just an example of too much crack smoking there. messed

<<Solo>>
WOW Elevin Inches hasn't ditched KMC!

deadly_force
T2

Lord Soth
X2
Spider-Man 2
Empire Strikes Back

D-Double
can't decide between

T2
Batman Returns
Back to the Future II

eleveninches
I was unable to get online when I finished my Uni course in manchester, and I have not been able to go on the internet since then sad

ladygrim
sad

Samurai Guy
What about Mortal Kombat: Annihilation? laughing

Hot Shots! Part Deux

shellspeare
godfather 3
rocky 2 & 3
jaws 2

<<Solo>>
The Vodka Vs. Absynthe thread is gone!

dean7879
aliens, dawn of the dead. godfather 2, terminator 2,

ladygrim
are we all just putting something with a 2 after its name down

Drumdude1167
KILL BILL VOL 2 IS THE HONEST BEST, ALL THE OTHERS DONT COMPARE

Mr Parker
definetely. thumb up thumb up

Drumdude1167
I think i just said that kill bill vol 2 is the best, dont argue with the drumdude

manny651
Well, Kill Bill 2 isn't really a 'sequel' because KB 1 and 2 were initially intended to be only one movie...

Red Superfly
Empire Strikes Back definitely.

fini
T2

TheFilmProphet
bad, bad, bad! nono

stick out tongue

Anyway some of my choices would be X2, T2, and Spider-Man 2.

SlipknoT
Aliens
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
X-Men 2
Spiderman 2
Hellraiser 2
Austin Powers 2

miahera
Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future Part 2, and Before the Sunset!

Dazzler619
T2
X2
SM2
Blade 2
LOTR:2 Towers and Return Of The King
Rush Hour 2
Nutty Professor 2
Godfather 2
Home Alone 2
Speed 2

MornGlory
HOme alone 2 and Speed 2 = are horrible

Back to the Future movies are always good

TheFilmProphet
Definitely cool

pr1983
terminator 2, aliens, star trek, blade 2, star wars esb, hellraiser

TheFilmProphet
Good choices....

pr1983
hated x2 though... wolverine f*ckin prequel...

TheFilmProphet
It wasn't too bad in my oppinion,

Except I was a little mad when they killed the character of the actress Hu I loved the most. wink

Aku
BAD BOYS 2

cgtuna21
My all-time favorite is The Empire Strikes Back but others are Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Godfather Part II
There's not much for me because tons of sequel let the first ones down but theres some good ones

baracustastic
The Good the Bad and the Ugly is right up there with BttF II and Godfather II.

(Aside: I wouldn't say that Two Towers is a sequel as there was always gonna be three films. Same kinda thing for Kill Bill (as the forthcoming all in ine DVD shows). There is now way you could have the first part of these films without following it up. Godfather, Star Wars, BttF, Indy, Terminator - the first part of these film series' are all self-contained.)

Indy and the Last Crusade is up there too, way better than ToD.

Goldfinger, Goldeneye, The Spy who Loved Me, Thunderball also great Bond sequels.

Toy Story 2 is also very good.

crickey77
Empire Strikes
Godfather 2
Miss Congeniality 2, coming soon

Morridini
Terminator 2

SJS
resident evil : apocalypse

Red Superfly
laughing

Lemme guess, first sequel you've ever seen right?

Empire Strikes Back and Terminator 2.

I would say X-Men 2 and Spider-Man 2, but they weren't MASSIVE leaps and they aren't definitive classics like Empire and T2 are.

khan
matrix reloaded
dusk til dawn 2
blues brothers 2000
predator 2
battle royale 2
chronichles of riddick
queen of the damned
next friday
i still know what you did last summer
conan the destroyer
a better tommorow 2
starship troopers 2

Imperial_Samura
Battle Royal was a deep let down for me, it in no way compared to the first.

But anyway, the definitive sequels for me were Empire Strikes back, T2, The second Indiana Jones, Harry Potter's...

Also, LOTR's, while being a trilogy, showed how "sequels" should also been done, neither the Two Towers nor return of the King damaged the series at all, in fact, in some ways they were more confident and just as good (in some cases better, though only in some)

Deathblow
The Godfather Part II
Aliens

The only stand-alone sequels in movie history that live up to their predeccesors.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 is not a sequel, it's the second half of one movie, same with the second and third LOtR.

Imperial_Samura
True, but still sequal could be subjective, Aliens is part of a larger story, just as LOTR's, but it remains it took more then one movie to tell, thus the sucessive movies continued to be as good, if not better then the first.

And yes, Aliens was good.

Napalm
Shrek 2
Spider-man 2
T2
The chronicles of riddick

Mr Parker
Okay I have seen most of these fims listed here so the ones I list are the ones that I think are great and the others I did not mention because they are just plain crap.

awesome sequels
Indiana Jones and the temple of doom.
godfather 2
rocky 2
the two towers
terminater 2
borne supremacy
star trek 2
and of course Empire Strikes back gets my number one vote as best sequel ever made.

Red Superfly
I just got round to watching the latest Harry Potter film, the Prisoner of Azkaban one. That was bloody brilliant, such a massive leap in terms of quality all round.

But, alas, movies that begin with a means to go on shouldn't really be considerred.

Star Wars may have had a Trilogy laid out, but Lucas never knew he was going to get the chance to make more than one, so he re-wrote the first movie (i.e. he never intended for the Death Star to be in A New Hope - but he never knew if he'd ever get round to making Return Of The Jedi where The Death Star was originally meant to debut). Star Wars therefore should be considerred as having the best sequel.

Lord Of The Rings however, was signed as a BATCH. Peter Jackson signed up to do 3 movies from the get go, there was also a book that had all three (actually six) chapters rolled into one deal. Peter Jackson effectively made one movie.

<<Solo>>
I'm starting to wonder if you thought Evil Dead 2 was ****ing "crap". It was easily one of the best sequels ever made.

Lord Soth
Kill Bill Vol. II as well

Cinemaddiction
I'm going to have to disagree with "Kill Bill 2". In retrospect, as anti Q.T. as I may be, I enjoyed the majority of the original. 2 was just a totally different movie. Different tempo, different mood, different characters, different scenarios, everything. It's too much its own movie for me to even consider it a sequel.

"Resident Evil: Apocalypse", also. I loved it, but it really lacks the simplicity and originality of the first. But, such are summer blockbusters.

Lord Soth
I believe that was Q.T's intent. One was influenced by samurai while 2 was by westerns. They're really only one movie, anyway.

Silver Lantern
The best sequels:

1: Spiderman 2
2: Batman Returns
3: Shrek 2
4: Scary Movie 2 and 3
5: Ninja Turtles 2

I'll think of more later to add to this.

<<Solo>>
1.Nice Decision
2.Nice Decision
3.I wouldn't call it one of the best sequels ever, but it's still nonetheless a good film.
4.WTF?
5.I really, really hope you are joking.

Mane
Spider-Man 2
Return of the King
Aliens
Empire Strikes Back
Grumpier Old Men
Meet the Fockers

Elektra_lover
OMG the whole 10 yards is amazing Lazlo is sooooooooooooo funny!

MovieRose0101
I can't help but notice that a lot of movie sequels are not what they promise to be. Can anyone think of one that turned out alright?

ScarletSpeed
Godfather 2
Terminator2
Spider-man2
Rocky 2

Phucked Up
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Godfather 2
Terminator2
Spider-man2
Rocky 2

Doesn't count, IMO.

Only movies that are sequels and have no other movies after them. All of those have at least 3 films per franchise.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Phucked Up
Doesn't count, IMO.

Only movies that are sequels and have no other movies after them. All of those have at least 3 films per franchise.

So, you are looking for good sequels, yet ones that were unable to trigger another movie?

W-why?

Impediment
Empire. Hands down.

Phucked Up
Originally posted by Bardock42
So, you are looking for good sequels, yet ones that were unable to trigger another movie?

W-why?

Because then you find a great sequel, yet also find a movie studio that didn't get greedy. 131

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Impediment
Empire. Hands down.

doesn't count according to phuckedconfusedlaughing out loud

MildPossession
Even though both are rather crap, Hostel II passed the first one imo.

ragesRemorse
Aliens
color of money
Last Crusade
superman 2
Spiderman 2
star trek 2
Road warrior
Bourne supremecy
X-2
evil dead 2

theres a couple that live up to the original and in some cases surpass it.

Toku King
Guyver 2: Dark Hero
Terminator 2
Terminator 3(sue me, I liked it)
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Rocky II
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
Army Of Darkness
Some of the Godzilla(Japanese) sequels
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
Showa Gamera films(minus Super Monster and Gayos)
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
Mothra 3
Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
Revenge Of The Sith
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
Empire. Hands down.

co signed.yeah Empire. thats too easy.

other great sequals to see are some which have already been mentioned which are
Last Crusade
Superman 2
Star Trek movies-original cast
Rocky 2 & 3
The two Borne sequals
Godfather 2 and
Terminater 2.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
doesn't count according to phuckedconfusedlaughing out loud

I know.that IS funny. laughing out loud

Mark Question
Road Warrior, Phantasm 2, X2, For a Few Dollars More, Lethal Weapon 2, Star Trek 2, The Color of Money, T2.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.