Baseball to be back in Washington DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ElectricBugaloo
WASHINGTON -- Major League Baseball will announce Wednesday that Washington will be the new home of the Montreal Expos, The Associated Press has learned.

A city official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Washington has been notified by Major League Baseball of the impending announcement that will return the national pastime to the nation's capital for the first time in 33 years.

The city is planning its own news conference at a downtown location Wednesday afternoon, the official said.

The announcement will come one day before the 33rd anniversary of the Washington Senators' final game. The Senators moved to Texas after the 1971 season.

The deal to move the Expos to Washington would be subject to government approval of funding for both a $13 million refurbishment of RFK Stadium and a new ballpark costing slightly over $400 million, which would be built along the Anacostia River in the southeast section of the city.

A move also must be approved by three-quarters of major league owners and survive legal challenges by the Expos' former limited partners and possibly by Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who objects to having a team just 40 miles from his. Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, went to Baltimore on Friday to negotiate a compensation arrangement with Angelos.

The Orioles owner told The (Baltimore) Sun that he could be persuaded to drop his opposition if he could be assured that his team and the state of Maryland's investment in Oriole Park at Camden Yards could be protected.

After the announcement, the process of selling the Expos will start. A group that includes former Rangers partner Fred Malek has been seeking a Washington franchise for five years. In addition, several baseball officials have said in the past week that Stan Kasten, former president of the Atlanta Braves, Hawks and Thrashers, might be trying to assemble a group.

Kasten is close to baseball commissioner Bud Selig, which likely would be an advantage during the bidding process.

"I am studying all the situations in all of the sports right now," Kasten said Monday. "I haven't committed to any group, any city or any sport."

forumcrew
the city of baltimore is pissed not just the orioles owner

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah, I remember hearing that the 30% of O's fans are from the D.C. area, that's going to hurt with the Expo's moving in to D.C.

forumcrew
yea i live in baltimore, and there complaigning how it will hurt the citys economy and what not.. but look at the ravens and the redskins... its the same thing baltimore brought in a football team, DC should be able to bring in a baseball team

Linkalicious
who cares....it's the Expos.

That's like the equivalent of the Clippers and Lakers. Sure, you'd rather go see the Lakers (or Oriles) but if the price is right...i'm always down for a Clippers game (Expos)

Kind of a sh!tty analogy

vagaryatwill
Well, Angelos is getting more than fairly compensated for the Expos moving to Washington. As far as Baltimore's economy goes, they may be affected, but I don't think it'll be as severe as people think. Camden Yards is an awesome ballpark and people love going there.

DanZeke25
I heard that Baltimores manager wants to go to th NL and the Expos to the AL.

Mr Parker
wow I cant believe it. eek! I feel sorry for d.c having to get the expos organization though.I cant ever remember that franchise having a winning season.

cal31
In 94' they were the best team in baseball, but then the fricken strike had to happen.

forumcrew
ofcourse they do, they are in the division with the red sox and the yankees, there best hope every year is the wild card, and with the teams in the West and an occasional good team in the central, thats hard as shit too

Anth
Orioles suck, Red Sox suck. Go Yankees!

G.P
I fail to see the interest of this...

Anth
Do you even watch baseball?

G.P
How could I ?

Besides, what's the connection ?

DanZeke25
Hey Anth..... I hope the Yankees get stomped by the Twins... I hate them..... And Red Sox are wining 8-1.... Lets go Red Sox!!!

G.P
If none of you can stay on topic I'll close this. There's a Baseball thread. Have I made myself clear ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.