Why weren't any actors from LOTR nominated?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barf Heaven
I thought for sure Sean Astin was going to get nominated for Best Supporting Actor... And Viggo... And Hugo... And the lady who plays Eowyn (forgot her name).. And definitely Ian...

pinksuezo
because the characters in lotr are mythological-type characters, u know, like the bad guy and the hero and the mentor (i.e. gandalf), etc.

they may have done an excellent job portraying the characters they r spose to, but its not seen as being in the same category as dramatic "real people" roles, with "modern" problems and not legendary-type problems.

gollum did get some kind of recognition, though didnt he? (i.e. best special effects or somthin like that last year?) thats kind of a nod to serkis, i think.

Ushgarak
You would havw to do STAGGERINGLY well to get an acting nomination with thisd sort of work. It was a miracle that Alec Guiness got nominated for Star Wars, and he was THE man, you know?

ash007
mmmmmmm Alec Guiness i dont think so i didn't like him much wink

Exa
NLC cinema suggested Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn and Sam as "supporting actors"... but they werent nominated in the end.

The problem is I think also that Tolkien's characters have little in common with usual film characters and are thus difficult to be compared to others.

Camellia
If anybody should have got anything, Andy Serkis should have got some recognition.

But then again, I don't think that was exactly necessary...is that the right word?

Phoenix
I think the reason no-one got an award was because it was an ensmeble piece -- every part of the story was equally important, and therefore every actor/character was equally important. If one actor had over-shadowed the rest, it would have defeated the object.

fini
the main reason i can see is that their characters were spread out over 3 films. And the oscars can only nominate movies from last year/this year. You need a full character to nominate and none of the ROTK actors played full characters.

I understand why McKellan got a nom in LOTR, cause his character had a begining and an end ( remember he supposedly DIES in Moria).

Kitoky
It's such an ensemble piece that, if everyone here took a vote on who should be nominated, who could it possibly be? There's Elijah, Viggo, Ian - for supporting? There's Daisy, Sean Astin, Serkis, and many more, we wouldn't know who to chose, and there would be alot of bickering and whining so I'm just happy with them just getting the Golden Globe for Outstanding Cast Performance in an Ensemble Piece. smile

pinksuezo
whos daisy?

shadowy_blue
David Wenham...wink It's his nickname. big grin

Kitoky
Opps did I say that, my bad embarrasment

mah
Yeah, there's simply too many equal parts there, picking out one performance is sketchy. Also because of this, none of the actors really get enough time and space to do an award-winning performance, even if they're good.

Raventheonly
I just concur that it would be rather difficult to decide "which" character should play the lead role, Frodo is supposed to be the main character but the form of the movie itself suggests otherwise. Along with that there aren't really any awards given that would accommodate such a large cast as some of you point out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.