Earthsea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vagaryatwill
Has anyone read the trilogy? I'm just finishing the first book and I liked it a lot. I'm sure I'll get through the second two in no time, at least before the miniseries comes out.

For anyone who has read any of Urula Le Guin's other stuff, anything you would recommend outside of Earthsea?

Ms Hyde
The Dispossessed maybe? Really interesting ideas there.

I forget which book of the Earthsea I have read.

vaya_the_elf
Not yet, but its been on my list for a very long time. sad Still have not forgotten around to it, and when I saw about them making a tv show out of it, I was excited. smile Hopefully it will be good.

AfricanLion
I read the trilogy, but ages ago. It was cool, especially for the time.

As for recommendations, it depends on what you are looking for. I assume sword and sorcery/fantasy?
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth is awesome, but stop after the third book, the rest suck.
David Eddings is great, easy to read, lots of humor. I prefer the series about Sparhawk, but the series about Belgarion is cool too.
David Gemmel is probably the best fantasy author Britain ever produced, especially if you like action. I especially recommend Druss the Legend and Waylander 1,2 and 3, all classics.
Raymond E. Feist is not too bad, gets a bit too epic, but enjoyable, all the same.
Any and every Terry Pratchett. The man is a GOD!

AfricanLion
Oh sorry, maybe I misunderstood. Were you looking for other stuff by Ursula K. le Guin?

Max Power
I am going back and reading the books before the series comes out. I had forgotten how good they were b/c it had been so long since I read them before.

vagaryatwill
Yeah, i was, but it's all good. I've found a couple of things recently I might check out. The Earthsea stuff is good, and evidently there are a couple of her things that are similar.

Max Power
Only 2 more weeks til we get to see this baby on screen. I like the anticipation, but I would like it more if it were on tonight.

vagaryatwill
The premiere of Ged on screen, haha. I'm looking forward to it.

ariwin
I'm really looking forward to seeing this -- the theatrical trailer rocks and I'm digging the new commercials on Sci Fi.

Having read the first two books, i'm wondering how they're going to blend them together.

There's seems to be a space of discontinuity.

big gay kirk
as a big Earthsea fan I recommend getting hold of the short stories based in Earthsea as well.... one forms a link between Tehanu and the fifth book.... they're all anthologised, but it takes a bit of work finding them all.... just bear in mind the low wall.....

vagaryatwill
I don't think i even knew the short stories existed. I'll have to keep an eye out for them and so some searching around. These are independent of the 4th and 5th books, right? I'm still hoping the miniseries leads to a follow up based on the books outside of the trilogy.

big gay kirk
The short stories have apparently been collected, I think under the title "Tales of Earthsea..." will get you more details if i can....

Krystaldragon
GIFTS
Ursula k le guin's book called "gifts" is SO GOOD, I liked it better than Earthsea, but I read it first, and I am only on earthsea book #2, but Gifts is one of my favorite books ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.