Led Zeppelin-A legend or What?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zelda Lestat
These guys are truly a legend, in fact gods. Anyone who disagrees with me on this needs to be put to death.(seriously)

Mr Zero
CAKE! Not pie..!! Cak.. oh wait.. wrong thread.

ElectricBugaloo
a legend

but an overrated one at that

Darth Revan
^agree

Zelda Lestat
*hangs Darth Raven and ElectricBugaloo*

Mr Zero
^ disagree

- this word "overrated" (which i see a lot at KMC) doesnt mean anything. Rated by whom? We have no consensus because some people think they suck and some think they are as gods. Overrated just means that you think some people like them more than they should - but it's still subjective, they are only considered overrated by you so it's not a value judgement of any kind.

It dont mean squat.

CAKE!

Darth Revan
What we mean by "overrated" is that quite a few people seem to think LZ are the greatest band ever, which is not true. Another example is Nirvana, who are idolized to the point of stupidity by the mainstream media, especially the good folks at the company that owns MTV/VH1.

And nobody is claiming that this is the absolute truth, we are fully aware of the fact that our thoughts are opinions only. As are yours.

Mr Zero
Sorry - my thoughts are LAW. LAW!!!!

Didnt mean to single you out - I just keep seeing "overrated" said about music and movies here and i finally snapped.

Yes Nirv and Zep and POTC etc etc are overrated, but that has no reflection on their actual worth. Which in the case of Zep is - well personally i think they are a little overrated.

Zelda Lestat
Led Zeppelin are gods yeah,but that doesnt mean i think they're the ONLY gods around. Nirvana is up there too and Ozzy still ROX MY SOX.

ElectricBugaloo
Ozzy only made four good albums and that was when he was in Black Sabbath.

Nirvana isn't in the same pantheon as Sabbath

Darth Revan
Ozzy and Nirvana really aren't all that great. If we're going to get into gods... Tool and Trent Reznor are gods.

plenTpak52
Led Zeppelin is way overrated. Mainly because Jimmy Page was a ****ing plagiarist. The Who owns the shit outta them

Mr Zero
the who are overrated.

Turbo-Cajun
****ing Right.

plenTpak52
funny, i disagree

Turbo-Cajun
No shit.

Mr Zero
I wouldn't say they were that bad - just overrated.

oh- wait... my mistake.

plenTpak52
Quadrophenia is better than anything Jimmy Page could come up with-i mean steal

Mr Zero
yes - we get that you are analy obsessed with the who. now hush.

plenTpak52
id argue, but that is true.

finti
aint into conference league bands, we were talking premiere league here

Quadrophonia is one of my least favorite Who albums, I actually find it a bit weak at least compare to Tommy

plenTpak52
yea you really have to listen to it a few times. once it grows on you there is no turning back

ElectricBugaloo
I actually find that The Who are chronically underrated. They are superior musicians to LZ and other bands, have great songwriting and an energy that most bands can only envy.

and i didn't really like Quadrophenia either, and i've listened to it dozens of times.

norrin radd

eggmayo
led zeppelin influenced every rock band in the world. that is a fact. other than zeppelin, the only other bands i could call gods are :-
1)queen
2)sabbath
3)ac/dc
4)van halen
5)metallica - they influenced a lot of people
6)nirvana

finti
no they didnt, Jimmy Hendrix was hard rock and he sure as hell werent influenced by Zeppelin
Purple and Zeppelin shared a mutual respect and inspiration for one another even though Purple went onto a harder and faster sound.

As for Sabbath they were influenced of the likes of The Who, Jimi Hendrix, the Yardbirds, Cream. They have never listed, as far as I have seen and I have seen most of the documentaries that exist of Sabbath, Zeppelin as on of their influences

If we are going to talk about underrated and underappreciated hard rock acts, lets talk about Trapeze. They made three with two very good albums before bassist/vocalist Glen Hughes left to replace Roger Glover in Purple

ElectricBugaloo
*Jimi Hendrix

but Sabbath and Zeppelin were two totally different types of hard rock music. Zep were closer to commercialized hard rock while Sabbath were just dark and brooding heavy rock. Sabbath was actually formed about the same time as Zeppelin, and if you look at their albums there is pretty much no Zeppelin influence.

Hendrix was a great guitar player before Zeppelin was anything more than that band with members from The Yardbirds.

And on the influence thing again, don't make me get the list of songs that Zep stole from blues and folk artists.

eggmayo
and also, i am refering to bands after zepellin etc... during their prime, sabbath were alongside zepellin. jimi hendrix was also at the same time

Linkalicious
Jimmy Page pwned Pete Townsend with a guitar....and Townsend's no bum.

2 of my favs, but Page playing th reverb on Dazed and Confused is an astonishing thing to see. (got the DVD.)

ElectricBugaloo
yeah, but at least Townsend wrote all his own material.

finti
nah The Who covered Sumertime Blues

ElectricBugaloo
obviously every band has covered a song or two, but the amount that LZ took without even crediting the orignal artists...

finti
I was just kidding with ya EB, I know what you were aiming at

Linkalicious
Page taking songs from other lesser known bands, and from his previous groups doesn't change the fact that Zepplin kicks ass.

He may have taken the songs, but Zepplin always did their own thing with it.

finti
So if I took a Zeppelin song and did my own thing with it I could call it mine?

ElectricBugaloo
according to linkalicious' reasoning, yes

finti
cool, think I am gonna make a cd and call it Physical Graffiti II

Linkalicious
No, i said lesser known band. Otherwise you're just some Led Zepplin wanna be.

no, that would be according to your understanding of my reasoning. Not according to my own reasoning.

You both talk as if no bands or artists have never taken music that was not written by themselves. Sorry guys, i fail to see how Page's plagiarizing makes Zepplin's music any less great. It's still great music.

Oh and on a side note, finiti, if you can take a Zepplin song and make it into something better than it currently is...then sure why not, go ahead and call it your own.

ElectricBugaloo
so we can only steal music from obscure bands?

Linkalicious
yup....that's the American Way! cool

I suggest stealing from lesser known nightclub bands and high school bands playing at talent shows.

That's the way to go. yes

ElectricBugaloo
they're british and stole music from poor black artists.

i find that despicable--give them the recognition and royalties, you'll still be rich

Linkalicious
true...true.

But much like the rest of history....who really cares (or cared) about the blacks?

yes i'm aware of how bad those comments sound, but at the time the plagiarizing was done....blacks weren't given the same rights as whites.

finti
I like Zeppelin regardless the accusations of plagiarizing

ElectricBugaloo
i just dislike them because they are british

that's a joke folks, calm down

Linkalicious
well yah...there's THAT about them...

but sometimes you have to look past the fact that 99.9% of British people are stuck up and snobby and just look to the fact the music they performed was great.

plenTpak52
Huh. well I really like it because it helps me when i am angry. It's probably better than anything Page could write on his own anyway

darnold
any of you guys gotten into theRaveups? they sound totally like zeppelin! It's amazing! anyway turn up the fuzz! I foudn them at google - theraveups - all one word

bogen
these guys set records, they invented genre's, had a style all of there own and changed history musically to be what it is today.

Also arguably the best band in history ( i say yes)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.