Contraception for men.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Daedalus
Some of you may have heard about the new form of contraception designed for men, it works like this.... you get a device inserted into your arm (no bigger than a match) that releases female hormones into your system and somehow make you "fire blanks", the downside (what some women are saying, something a guy wouldn't do) is that you have to have another injection every 3 months to negate the effects the female hormone would have on a man.

Now, even though its only being tested on a few guys, it sounds like something I'd get done, because its about time us guys had to goto the doctors and get something done about contraception, and up until now all us guys have had to do is wear a condom (and some of us don't even do that and expect a woman to have all the appropriate stuff done), there would still be risks about wether or not it would work and all the talk about the possible side affects but I guess the main point of this thread is:-

Guys: Would you go through with it?
Girls: Do you think its reliable enough?

Corran
What would the side-effects be?

Fire
if no harmfull side effects sure

Storm
That' s comparable to Implanon (for women) then. Apparently, the only difference is that the hormone is released slowly from the device into the bloodstream over 3 years.

Daedalus
One drawback of neutralizing GnRH, however, is the suppression of testosterone, a hormone that in men generates libido and secondary sexual characteristics. Thus, men who use the GnRH injection also must use a substitute for testosterone called 7-alpha methyl-19-nortestosterone, or MENT, which is slowly released into a man's body using an implant rod inserted under the skin of a man's upper arm, similar to the Norplant system used by women. This helps to restore normal sexual drive and secondary sexual characteristics, such as the growth of facial hair.

The current study in Chile is designed to examine safety issues. If results are encouraging, the immunocontraceptive's efficacy will then be studied in a trial expected to enroll up to 150 subjects, says Dr. J.F. Catterall, director of reproductive physiology at the Population Council.

Daedalus
Quoted from here.. http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v18_3/NW183ch5.htm

ash007
no i would take the pill but i do use other forms of contraception like Condoms which i feel is much more safer to use then the pill
Plus my Girlfriend told me she would rather have her take the pill then me. Because in the end she will be the one who will get pregenet

Krosus
There is also just an Injection with no discernable side effects in final phase of testing, i will try and dig up the link.

The question is, would you trust a guy who said he'd had the injection if you met him in a club or a dating site etc..... it's a great idea no doubt but not a cureall.

Corran
That's a very good point, plus using a condom is safer for other reasons too.

Daedalus
They mentioned that on the news, how a guy could just say he had the injection just to get out of wearing a condom, or for just more dubious reasons.

ash007
indeed it should be up to the women i am not being rude but they could get pregent.

Storm
Am I missing something or can women get pregnant without men?

ash007
no what i mean is women should trust all men who say they are on the pill.
They should take precautions themsleves

Baylin
Hmm taking female hormones? Wouldnt you grow breasts! big grin laughing
I'll do it!!!!

Fire
if the two take birth control very lil can happen

Asami
I'll trust the male pill after a few decades showing that it doesn't cause abnormalities

Linkalicious
No chance am I taking female hormone shots. I'm in touch with my feminine side enough as it is. Don't women have a shot they can take every 3 month in order to protect themselves? I'm not sure of the side effects, but i don't think it creates any hormonal imbalance.

Corran
But would ladies trust males enough when they say they are on the pill?

Storm
Good point. Maybe not males in general but I would trust Fire if he said he was on the pill.

Asami
I hope to have settled down in a few decades big grin Maybe with kids too wink

lil bitchiness
Hmmm...it might not get girl pregnant, but it certanly doesnt protect from STDs and STIs.....

Twin B!tch 1
exactly lil yes people should just do the double dutch, that way both people have to use contraception big grin

Linkalicious
idk about the rest of the guys, but anytime i have a girl friend and we want to be sexually active.....i take both of us to the clinic and have us both checked for STDs. I think it's important to know if you and your partner are clean. Then and only then....do we discuss means of contraception. But for one night stands prophilactics do the job.

Storm
*nods*

Ushgarak
Luckily STDs are never a worry I have ever had to face, only pregnancy.

Still, as my ex said, the best protection is a combination of the pill and a crap boyfriend...

Fitch
I'm not so sure I'd inject that thing in my arm...still the good ol' condom at it's best big grin

Corran
laughing out loud

Baylin
laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I rather thought that might amuse...

mechmoggy
Most men already have a built in contraceptive device: their personality. yes

burlyman
laughing out loud

shaber
Female hormones! eek! I'd far rather just abstain!

shaber
Female reptiles can sometimes do that, but not female hominids.

A female snake can fertilise her egg on her own, by using another of her body cells as another gamete. This would not work for a woman, it could not produce a complete zygote.

ash007
i mean women will trust themsleves to take the pill

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.