Discussion:Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BadKitty

m!$hA
we won? eek! droolio

ah yes like i said, i havnt read the book, but seen the play. from what i gathered, very good, but very sad cry

yerssot
I'm afraid that some who are not really into thick or long-explaining books will not like this sad

m!$hA
thick and long explaining books droolio
maybe i should read it eek!

yerssot
good idea... I thought you did already messed

it's just great that he wrote about the french revol in it happy

m!$hA
ive said about three times that i havnt read the book, but seen the play stick out tongue

though i was very young back then so hardly got it embarrasment infact i didnt get it at all. i just thought it was about a girl who had troubles with her parents and she dreamed about casles on clouds stick out tongue

you know what a good book is though (ok series) the john marsden, tomorrow series droolio

Mr Zero
viola! The french revol!

I forgot to vote. What an ass. I will read this this month tho.

m!$hA
speaking of which yerss, we're on 5 eek! droolio

yerssot
yeah, wonder who voted...

How did everyone got into contact with this?
by now we established that misha saw the play stick out tongue

I had to read it in french class... age of 10-11 I think

m!$hA
lookie yerss eek!

yerssot
are you sure you haven't read the book? blink

m!$hA
when did i say i hadn't? confused

yerssot
just curious stick out tongue if you read it, you can say if the play is different from the book big grin

m!$hA
but i have read it blink

yerssot
then compare it damnit stick out tongue

m!$hA
but i havnt seen the play erm

yerssot
*sigh*
one of us needs to pay attention to what the other writes you know... and it's not you wink

urthstripe321
I really didn't like this book. It was overlong and much too sappy. I can see the how this book can be seen as innovative classic, but I personally didn't like it.

yerssot
did you see it as just a story or did you go further and tried to understand the underlying critic of the system at that point in time?

urthstripe321
oh I understood all that. Like I said, I understand the importance and the political and social commentary it had on that time period, but I don't think it was well done. I just didn't like it, it didn't do anything for me.

yerssot
what would you have changed or left out?

urthstripe321
I definitely wouldn't make it so wordy. He often went off on these tangents about something that barely has to do with the subject, and he should have left that out. And another thing that threw me off is the overly sappy last few pages, or page, rather. You have all these pages of buildup, and then everything important he has to say, he says while dying in like two pages. That just threw me off.

yerssot
but if he went and didn't get it all on one page, it would have been even longer and you wouldn't have liked that either blink

urthstripe321
then it shouldn't have been that long in the first place. He already wrote10,000,000 pages, what a couple hundred more going to do? Or else, that's how long it felt.

yerssot
but the idea was that it should be long to show that he builds up a life time after time but that it fails

urthstripe321
i don't think his attempt to build a life fails. He earns the love of his daughter, and the respect of many others, and that's all he really wanted.

yerssot
indeed, but it's still that the inspector hunts him down

urthstripe321
then he realizes his fault and commits suicide

yerssot
ow, now you ruined the fun in the entire book ... I like that evil face

I think it takes guts to redeem yourself after you have done...what was it? 10 years of hunting someone down?

urthstripe321
well, we talked about this in class ( I read this for school) What happened was that he realized what he was been doing for his entire life was wrong, but he really couldn't accept that, but he knew he couldn't keep on going the way he was going, because he realized it was wrong. So he committed suicide.

yerssot
indeed, but I mean, accepting that what you have been doing for your entire life is wrong is not easy so he has to have a great sense to understand that

urthstripe321
well it kind of hit him right over the head. It's hard to miss that the person you've been hunting just spared your life.

yerssot
but that doesn't mean he's right

urthstripe321
wha? what? You said, "indeed, but I mean, accepting that what you have been doing for your entire life is wrong is not easy so he has to have a great sense to understand that." I replied that it was kind of hard not to see he was wrong as Valjean spared his life.

yerssot
I misunderstood embarrasment

but it's not cause someone spares your life, that he's automaticly right

urthstripe321
but he saw that he was hunting down Valjean and hated him for no reason

yerssot
it's his job messed

urthstripe321
he definitely went above and beyond what his job called for

yerssot
that's being passionate huh wink

urthstripe321
it's called being psycho

Captain REX
What is the book about? I've never heard of this book...

yerssot
no surprise I see stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.