The Streets

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vampy
Anyone listen to him? I bought Skinner's new album not so long ago and I must say his style is just amazing. Not like any rap I ever listened to. The songs are great, I reccomend buying/downloading some of the singles. If he keeps on doing such a great job I'm pretty sure I'll get his previous albums. So, anyone's thoughts on The Streets?

D-Double
^The Streets are pretty tight. I've been wanting to pick up their second to latest album for a while now, but haven't got around to it. They're bringing some real British heat to hip-hop. I haven't heard all their stuff but my favorite jam so far is "Push things forward". Skinner's delivery can crush most american spit but those beats is what jumps out and slaps me in the cabbage. I think he chops his own tracks.

*going to go get chips and drinks* smokin'

Sex Pistol
I have both of The streets' albums. A grand dont come for free is prbably my favourite. Original pirate material is brilliant, but i prefere his latest. I relate to most of his lyrics. Cause he's a lad from the North of England and im a girl from the North- east of England.
I love how he sings about every day things.

Turbo-Cajun
You British people are funny when you try rap...

As far as the Streets go talent wise...they are okay, some of the time. Push Things forwards is tight, but some of the other stuff kinda pisses me off if i listen to it.

Vampy
I like how the latest album is created, like one big story. Also, find anyone that's got such... primitive, obvious lyrics. It's amazing that they actyally RHYME!

'Blinded by the light' That's a good song.

*Georgina_A*
I don't like him...he actually really annoys me. I've only heard "Dry your Eyes" and that song got way too much attention IMO. But because I haven't heard anything else I can't really judge...

Df02
i hate the new stuff...he really gave up trying, hes not even fitting the lyrics to the beat nemore, hes just speaking....and the lyrics are soo boring and shit

way overrated, way too much attention, Blinded by the lights is god awful, and same for Dry your eyes

Mr Zero
First time I heard the streets i thought it was a bad joke.

ElectricBugaloo
i actually like it, it grew on me

Vampy
he's not fitting the beat, the lyrics rarely rhyme and the camera cut half of his face on the videos... I'm pretty sure that was supposed to carry something... I just don't know waht yet messed

koolruningz
I find it easier to relate to his lyrics instead of some of the commercial american rappers who talk about bling and Benzes. I like The Streets quite a bit, being from London i think its easier to find something in their music that mirrors my own life at one time or another. The master of UK hip hop is still Roots Manuva IMO. I think its refreshing when English rappers sound like they're English instead of putting on a fake american accent.

<<Solo>>
I used to be a huge fan, but after listening to them over and over, it kind of got old.

slashwristbarbi
Im not a hip-hop fan and I never listen to rap - but I love the Streets! I think they're great cos they're just so common, whilst so many other bands are all 'bling'. Like in Dry Your Eyes - when most people do a ballad its all ott romantic settings, but he's just sitting in his living room in front of the gas fire. Genius!

Vampy
I agree with koolruningz and slasthwristbarbie. Most of the rap stars now have a weird trend to play Yanks, no matter where they're form. I don't get why everyone wants to be American, that doesn't make sense. Mike Skinner doens't pretend to be cooler than he really is and for every 10 songs with a dozen of half naked bimbos and tonnes of jewelery i'll give you one the streets song, with exactly ONE queer, baby blue sweater and a broken tv.

I don't do cheap commercial pricks. yes

Abbita
mike skinners from birmingham like moi droolio I got the album eek!

amity75
I hate him coz he reminds me of little burberry wearing, bling covered, car thieving neds.

slashwristbarbi
Lol, where im from we call em charvas, and i hate them too! But when Mike was on MTV 2 he was requesting things like Nirvana.

Sex Pistol
Thats the best thing about them, they dress like charvas but they get away with beaing rock. I mean when they were in Germany at Rock am ring, people were moshing to them. Its great!

And to them people who think that he isnt good and his rhymes dont go, heres a tip. Take that ****ing critic out of your head sit back and just enjoy.

Plus he was voted song writer of all time in Q mag so he must be good.

Vampy
He's good, because he's original. If you prefer fabricators, go ahead, Eminem's waiting for you wink

D-Double
It's much harder to do what he's doing than to just spit normally. It takes alot of creativity to change the flow. And, he is on beat. The half or quarter beats. Try to relax your mind and listen.

Sex Pistol
Thats what i said, but i have a feeling their still gonna moan about them. Why be o the this thread if you donr like them?

slashwristbarbi
This has nothing to do with the Streets, but I just wanted to say I like Vampy's sig.

Sorry for the interruption!

Vampy
laughing thanks...

Sex Pistol
Yeah it is pretty cool.

Hiel Bush!

ladygrim
i like the streets recent stuff ....

Sex Pistol
I just like the streets, plain and simple

ladygrim
kewlll.... smile

Sex Pistol
yep.

pinsleepe
Vampy, you maniac! I have been waiting for this thread big grin The Streets eek!

lil bitchiness
I dont like it, at all. Not my kinda thig whatsoever.

amity75
He's undoubtedly a talented guy but I'm afraid the car thieving "charver" or "ned" or "scally" look puts me off him.

Sex Pistol
Why dont you try to get past image and just listen to his music?

Sex Pistol
Why did you change your sig to doc carter it was so much better before.

<<Solo>>
Just downloaded there new cd.
It's pretty cool. But I dont know which was better.

Sex Pistol
I def think the 2nd was better.

Vampy
I just bought Original Pirate Material and it's GENIUS.

It makes dance music sound a LOT better.

wicker_man
I can't stand him what so ever, his music is so generically boring.

Afro Cheese
I'm definitely not a fan, but I have a question. Is the streets one guy or a group? Cause by the name it sounds like a group but when I listened to their music it was just one guy talking slowly to a beat.

Vampy
his music is less boring than half of the black yank fabricators smile

it's a guy. with guests

wicker_man
Well thats ok not much of a fan of those 'black yank fabricators' either.

D-Double
Can we call them "yank fabricators"?

I'm get'n a little offended, here....

Let's keep it hip-hop, shall we?

Sex Pistol
Whatever.

Oh and its just one person in the streets. The streets is a knid of nick name. Like 50 cent or Eminem.

ChickinMeat
I feel exactly the same way.

that "dry your eyes mate" song wasnt that bad, but everything else ive heard i just dont like.

Sex Pistol
Then why come onto a thread if you dont like the band?

Vampy
if you feel offended then i'm sorry it wasn't meant to offend anyone. I'm just saying that hip hop is generally...

I don't like hip hop much. Every song sounds the same, every raper looks exactly the same, does the same things and 'raps' about the same things. That's just copying the stereotypes they try to bust so badly. Every hiphop artist that isn't form USA tries to imitate the accent, videos and style so he'll look cool. That's why they're all fabricators, want it or not.

The few that don't try to sell them selves, don't imitate anyone and stuff, they're rappers worth listening to. Every music that's not as commercial as the celibrities you see everyday is worth it.

A few years ago my type was Arrested Development, now it's Mike Skinner big grin and it stays until i find something else to worship, that's worth my attention.

there.

Afro Cheese
Well I respect your opinion but I'd appreciate it if you didn't generalize all of Hip Hop as shitty bling bling music. That is the type of stereotype Hip Hop artists I listen to try to separate themselves from. If you go by what you see MTV or any other commercial music station, you are only going to get the Nellys and 50 cents of hip hop, not the generally good artists. There are way more good underground artists then there are crappy commercial artists. Sorry to get off the topic of the streets.

Alpha Centauri
"I don't like hip hop much. Every song sounds the same, every raper looks exactly the same, does the same things and 'raps' about the same things."

Completely false.

The fact is, for most people it's natural to use an American accent purely because when you grow up there's not much British shit on TV. All that surrounds you is mainly stuff imported from the USA.

-AC

Sex Pistol
Er i dont think so! Most of my fave artists sing with their accent, and thats a british accent!

MagdalenA
most singers (british alike) state that they prefer singing with an american accent

Alpha Centauri
It's just natural. Alot of them sing/sung along to their favourite records to the accent of the singer, many of which were Americans.

-AC

Vampy
@ Afro Cheese, maybe i didn't listen to them because they're underground artists i have no access to. But that may be true. I dislike the music on Mtv, it's fake as hell. 'Nellies' do nothing more than record music that WILL sell well.

And Alpha, you're half wrong. I'm sure some do that, but the truth is more and more artists want to be 'american' just for the sake of it. USA is 'cool' because it advertises itself like that. You can see that thing in every country, although UK still remains somewhat conservative. Well at least the so called 'posh'.

Oh no, excuse me. You're not american. You're CHAV.

Actually this was suppsoed to be a thread on Mike Skinner. But i'd like to fiish the discussion first, if you don't mind.

Afro Cheese
People think it's 'cool' to be American over there? Wow, they sure as hell don't think it's cool to be American here in the US. You will see all sort of Mexican, Colombian, Puerto Rican, Haitian, Jamaican, and Dominican flags on people clothes and book bags in my school, but you will VERY rarely see an American flag. Hell, I'd say when it comes to people's clothes and stuff I see more British flags than I do American.

Alpha Centauri
"And Alpha, you're half wrong."

I'm half right. There's a word for people who want to be American for the sake of it or any nationality, idiot. Not to be patriotic, I just find it dumb.

Many singers I listen to who have those accents are perfectly great artists. Not TRYING to be anything.

-AC

Sex Pistol
Well, my fave singers. John Rotten, pete doherty, and Carl Barat all sing with their British accent and sound great. Matt Bellamy Occasionally sings with and english accent but not all of the time.

Oh and by the way, no one said that British people think americans are cool, i definitly dont! I love being English, and if i HATE most of you americans!

Afro Cheese
Why would you hate somebody based on their nationality... that's pretty stupid. There is a difference between patriotism and hate.

koolruningz
Do you know alot of americans? Or are you just daming a nation because of what you've seen on TV? Im proud to be English but in my experience you cant judge people from where theyre from, there are cool people and wankers all over the world not just in one country.

Sex Pistol
And dont suppose you can read i did say, IF i hate Americans.

koolruningz
So do you? (and you actually said "and if i HATE most of you americans" with the HATE in bold if you want to get technical).

Alpha Centauri
"There is a difference between patriotism and hate."

Yeah, the connection is that they both suck though.

-AC

Afro Cheese
I thought that was a typo. If you hate most Americans then what?

Sex Pistol
If i hate americans i would obviously not want to be an American, i know a lot of people who hate Americans and definitly dont want to be American, but apparently all of us Brits want to be American.

koolruningz
Who told you that?

Sex Pistol
Someone on here.

adscrawler
any one get the new streets album? -the hardest way to make an easy living

Gaca
I wanted to buy it, since i have the previous two.

but the first song just... didn't amuse me erm

Ya Krunk'd Floo
There's a couple of good tracks on it. 'Never Went To Church' is good, if a little similar in tone and style to 'Dry Your Eyes', which is superior.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.