Lord of the Rings fans given Elf language lessons at school

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Gosh i was actually expecting this smile

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3532003.stm

nazgūl-lord
hehe cool i want lessons!stick out tongue

pip-foot
hee hee smile me too smile

Iirima
ooh, me too! big grin

Vegeta13
possibly me too.

Smodden
yeah i want lessons.too....

nazgūl-lord
if exa reads this she'll explode with excitementstick out tongue

Thorondor
*raises hand* i would also like lessons stick out tongue

Exa
ME... ALSO... WANTS... LESSONS..................................

though I dont wholly agree with the text
"Tolkien, an Oxford academic who was expert in ancient languages, developed two forms of Elvish.

Tolkien (...) only wrote down around 350 words in Sindarin, so Lord of the Rings experts have had to work together to increase the vocabulary for everyday use.

Tolkien never left a word meaning 'to love'."
.... not two forms but two main forms.
.... I dont know the number of words he left but I'm pretty sure they're more than 350 - elsewhere I read about "probably 2500 - 10000 words" invented by Tolkien, of course not all sindarin but more Quenya and also other ones, yet there must be more than 350 words.
But its true that many everydaywords arent known and have to be constructed, like "thanks" or "please".

And as far as I know, there is also a word for loving or liking... mel- (or mela-). Possibly its reconstructed, but I think Tolkien mentions it in the etymologies.

anaritearbina
I want lessons! That should be a class at school Forget French I want to learn elvish!

Isilcal
I want lessonsblinkbig grincool

Kitoky
I want lessons on the black speech.....

AliasNeo15
laughing out loud

anaritearbina
the should have a class...Languages from LOTR 101...or something like that

Kitoky
No, Elvish for Dummies - Step 1. Call Exa.

Thorondor
that would rule, going to someone and them asking what languages you can speak and saying...Elvish, Black Speach, Orc-ish stick out tongue

azszhz
i would love to learn to speack elvish and black speech but i suck at learning new languages i'd probably flunk out sad

mah
Beats german.

azszhz
yeah i havent even attempted that and i dont think i want to
currently i'm trying to learn a desent amount of spanish but thats not working out to good

Discos
it does beat German mah, I take German just now...well actually "forced" is more the term

Discos - seriously can't be bothered learning other languages

mah
Luckily I finished it last year.

Lady Bri
i wanna learn Elvish!! that would be awesome! actually i have this book about Tolkien languages that kinda teaches you happy it's kewl

Discos
I knew of a place which taught elvish a while ago, it was on the thread and everything.........

Discos - I know its crazy

pip-foot
i wanna take elvish smile sounds 1000 times better than spanish, which i am currently doing very badly in ( i got Ds on the pst 4 quizes mad ) I need a tutor or some help, but my parents dont have the money to pay for one sad

Elvish would be better smile and i would actuall WANT to learn it smile

Discos
my guess would be that it would be very difficult, especially to get a decent accent.

Discos - I hate some people in my german class, cant say shit without stuttering or stopping through a word like "wie heis...s...du?"

pip-foot
lol. I HATE spanish. I could prob get an A cept he never teaches and we have no grades cept quizzes. No hw, no classwork, nothing! I HATE senor MACK!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, i will stop now. *takes deep breath * its the weekend ,i dont have to theink abouti t till monday

Yes, about elvish! I wanna take it smile

PippinTook
OK I didn't read any of the posts on this thread cause I'm lazy haha. That's for telling us, ash! I wish we had an elvish class in my school!

Exa
Yah there was a school I think somewhere in America...

... but until someone teaches it here, I will use courses like this one http://home.agh.edu.pl/~evermind/mathom/pedin_edhellen_en.zip

PippinTook
Ey thanks for that Exa. big grin

Hey, where in America are they teaching it? Do you know? stick out tongue That'd be so cool if we had those classes here....Stupid Board of Education doesn't want it. Idiots confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.