Dark Journey?? Hardly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Volundro Ramm
After hearing that the Elaine Cunningham book in the NJO series would involve Jaina Solo being tempted by the darkside, i thought that it would bring yet another nice twist to the story arc. But after reading it, i'm totally disapointed. What could have been a great book turned out to be not even worth it. Lets face it, "nothing happened". I used to like Kyp Durron and Jagged Fel, but in this book they both come over as a couple of wusses. Maybe the good folk at Del Rey got the titles mixed up. I think Star By Star should have been called Dark Journey and vica versa. Lets hope the Rebel Lines duology will be better(no doubt). At least its focusing on someone that isn't a jedi.Hoo-effing-rray!

LanceWindu
I thought that DJ was a good book. She was tempted by the Dark-Side and her temper started to get out of control.

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) Vol ramm.....I think you are discrediting a good book.

I don't much care for Kyp Durron, but Jag Fel's cool.

Keep in mind that DJ is a part of a series....some major events happened in SBS ...DJ allowed us to see how Jaina Solo reacted to these tragic events. Her character is deepened. DJ also gives the other characters a chance to breathe a little.

LanceWindu
Hey Jules, your spoiler didn't work.

Volundro Ramm
Oh come on, wake up, "nothing happened". All the talk about wether Jacens dead or not? Again, come on wake up, of course he's alive, anyone with half a brain cell knows he is. As for giving characters a breather: We've still got the same old jedi, arguing over the same old things. Time for some fresh blood. None of the characters from the Young Jedi Knight series, them peoples is wack. Especially Lowbacca, what a poor excuse for a Jedi and a Wookie. And he just so happens to be related to Chewie, now theres a suprise! Don't get me wrong, i love the NJO books but since the end of SBS the series has got dry. I thought after the fall of Coruscant, things would pick up, but unfortunately they haven't(yet).

LanceWindu
That is so stupid. How could the series get dry after SbS. There's only one book out that is after SbS. You don't know if it's dry or not. One book doesn't determine the whole series.

Volundro Ramm
Stupid? I don't think so. The fall of Coruscant gave Del Rey a great situation for a great book. But instead they give us this Dark Journey rubbish. Who cares about the next queen of Hapes!!! Hello McFly!! Something else just happened that was rather large in comparison.

LanceWindu
Hello McFly? Back to the Future rules.

Julie
Ok well back to the Star Wars debate...
Vol Ramm like Lance says one book cannot be judged as the whole of the NJO being "dry"roll eyes (sarcastic)

Only a couple of days or weeks went by in DJ....after the big dev of SBS, DJ is somewhat relaxing.....it deals with emotions...sorry if that doesn't suit your tastes...maybe RD can give you the action...

I am awake....and I still think you're wrong wink

LanceWindu
RD does sound like it is going to be action full. On the cover they have Wedge in the cockpit of a X-Wing.

Volundro Ramm
I just hope its less of a soppy soap opera.

Here's a question: Who do you think the traitor will be in the upcomming book. There's been no sign of anyone switching. Unless the Vong have brainwashed Jacen in captivity. Or maybe the traitor will be from the Vong ranks.......

Julie
I'd like to think that it's one of the Vong whose the traitor, but you never know. I doubt it'll be Jacen

Volundro Ramm
Or maybe a character we are yet to meet in the Rebel Lines duology.

LanceWindu
I believe it will be when Vergere finally reveals that she is a Jedi and she has been secretly plotting the downfall of the Vong.

Julie
hmmm could be...I kinda like her......

LanceWindu
It's gotta be her. Who else could be a traitor?

Julie
Hmmmm I'd have to actually think to come up with an answer.
Do you believe the traitor will be a good guy or a bad guy?

LanceWindu
I think a bad guy that will come to be a good guy.

Volundro Ramm
Good call LW, Vegere is the one.

LanceWindu
I knew it had to be her.

Julie
whoa though I agree with you both, we still don't know for sure......the vooks aren't even out yet....

LanceWindu
What's a vook? wink laughing out loud

Julie
eek! maybe I should proof read my posts b/f I actually put them up
*look of chagrin*
"vooks"....err cousins of books?????..... smile

LanceWindu
That was pretty corny. wink

Julie
Well, what do you want..."vooks" is hardly stellar material to work with smile

Anyway, I believe we were discussing Vergere...

LanceWindu
laughing out loud

Yeah I think we were talking about Vergere. What do you think she will do to announce that shes a traitor? If she is the traitor anyways.

Julie
She may die, but take out a whole bunch of bad guys with her

LanceWindu
Yeah, according to the timeline she's really old. Especially since she was in Rogue Planet. But we don't know what species she is or how old that species can get.

ryamathart
who hell is vergere? Is she a vong? I dont recall reading about her in DJ. And if she is a vong she cant be a jedi because the vong are like force immune or something like that.

LanceWindu
You can read about Veregere in the book Rogue Planet set 3 years after TPM. Then she reappears in the NJO series. She doesn't have a role in DJ though. She isn't a Vong but she was a Padawan for a Jedi in the Old Jedi Order. So she is a Jedi.

ryamathart
ok.so she defected to the vong?

Julie
Hmmm...don't know for sure....maybe she did....or maybe she really didn't wink some kind of long term undercover op.....and You're right about no Vergere in DJ....she wasn't ...

LanceWindu
I don't think she defected. I think they captured her and broke down her mind and then 're-programmed' her, if you will.

ryamathart
So wait she is pretending to be on their side?

Volundro Ramm
Pretending? Yeah, something like that. Anyway i thought that you all would like to Know that Jacen becomes Vegere's student in upcomming NJO books, she teaches him how to use the force in a different way . Interesting.

yerssot
you know... in the last spoiler tag you have to write a /

Volundro Ramm
Soong peetch alay(Huttese for:It's to late), i do now.

LanceWindu
Well you or someone else fixewd it so it doesn't matter anymore.

Julie
Wow!....I want to read Rebel Dream now, but I already started the Last Command....

LanceWindu
Hey you finished The Last Command and now your in the middle of Rebel Dream. Yippe!

Julie
Yeah, Easter break is giving me a lot of time to read....ahhh my favorite pasttime....writing is also a pasttime of mine, but I believe that reading is even more fun wink

LanceWindu
Yeah because writing gives you writer's block.

Julie
I don't usually experience writer's block, but I do lose a lot of time I could be reading.....if I really get into a story I can write for hours on end and never even notice...

LanceWindu
I heard about people doing that before.

Julie
I only did it twice so far, but it's a strange feeling. I don't do it more often because I haven't the time, but I plann on setting aside Fri to just write.....I think I started in the morning and ended around 11....that night, I stopped briefly to eat but not much else.

LanceWindu
And to go to the bathroom. Don't forget that.

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) How could I forget?....how clumsy of me wink

LanceWindu
You're clumsy?

Julie
Not especially....but once in awhile I do walk into walls, but that's usually when I read wink

LanceWindu
I never walk while reading. Or vice versa.

Julie
Why not?.....I tend to pace once in awhile...its not so bad until you run into a wall, but that rarely happens big grin

LanceWindu
Still I don't want to break a nose.

Julie
You don't have to fear for your nose.... laughing out loud ....the most I ever got from a doorway was a small bruise. wink

LanceWindu
Bad enough

Julie
Be brave Lance, be daring ....and do some reading standing up...don't necessarily pace...that's when you hit stuff, but standing up makes reading interesting too wink

LanceWindu
I'd much rather read sitting down or laying in bed.

Julie
Actually the standing thing only came up recently when I had a lot of studying to do....usually I do read in the prone position wink

yerssot
errr.... what are you all talking about???

your favorite readingpositions?
*shudders*

Julie
I told Lance that sometimes I walk around when I read....and I only ran into the wall of a few occasions....

yerssot
http://planetquake.gcpro.de/pqforum/images/smilies/wall.gif

favorite readingstance.... strange thread...

Julie
laughing out loud strange little smily face.....

LanceWindu
roll eyes (sarcastic) That's yerss alright.

He is very weird.

Julie
Weird is almost akin to interesting wink

LanceWindu
He is interesting in a strange sort of way.

Julie
.....Dark Journey......

LanceWindu
We're back on topic!

Actually I think this thread has run it's course.

Julie
Yea where's the mod when you need them to shut a thread down....slackers big grin

LanceWindu
I know

Julie
What?...no Han Solo voice?

LanceWindu
Damn I keep forgeting to do the suave thing.

*In cheap imitation of Han's voice*

I know.

Julie
Much better........
and "watch your mouth, kid" wink

LanceWindu
Hey I'm 18 I can curse if I want.

Julie
confused since when was cursing to be judged by age????

LanceWindu
My parent's wouldn't let me curse til I was 18.

Julie
eek!
i don't think my parents would like it if I cursed now....I think it would shock me if I cursed!!!!!...I usu try not to, but (confession time) I think I muttered one when I was hit in the side with a softball...hot off the bat sad

LanceWindu
Oww.

I don't cuss in front of my parent's much. I do it lots away from them though.

Julie
I see....do you curse on purpose or is it a spontanious thing?

LanceWindu
It's usually spontanious.

Julie
That's good to know.....I think people sound stupid when every other word out of their mouth is a curse....it sort of makes you wonder if they actually think of what they're saying.....

LanceWindu
They just do that to make them sound bad ass.

Julie
roll eyes (sarcastic) why would someone want that rep?

LanceWindu
To be 'cool'.

Julie
cool...huh.....idiots roll eyes (sarcastic)
Never be one of them, Lance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LanceWindu
I won't I'm more of one of the guys that hangs in the back so no one will know I'm there.

Julie
hang in the back.....yes good....and read lots of SW books smile smile

LanceWindu
Depends on where you are though.

Julie
hmm...maybe we should get back to the subject before finti gets here stick out tongue

Dark Journey: dark enough wink

LanceWindu
But still not too dark.

Julie
true, but after the beating the good guys got in SBS....not too dark was quite dark enough wink

LanceWindu
Dark on Jaina's part because her fall, but not on anyone else.

Julie
ok....The whole fall to the dark side thing was a bit too subtle....and I still don't like Kyp Durron!

LanceWindu
I wouldn't exactly call it a fall to the dark-side though. She isn't evil and she isn't really doing anything considered bad.

It's more like she's being a teenager.

Julie
True...I agree with you.....she was resorting to some "dark" methods only from a certain point of view.....one thing puzzles me Why did Jag never deliver all of Leia's message to Jaina?

LanceWindu
I don't really know.

What was the message again?

Julie
The message had three parts to it but the last part was something like I expect her to find her way back....she'll know what that means

LanceWindu
Maybe he didn't want to tell Jaina that her mom knows she fell to the dark.

I don't know.

Julie
Didn't you say earlier that Jaina didn't really fall very far into the Dark side?......but I do know what you are saying and since I have nothing better I'm inclined to agree wink

LanceWindu
Well she's supposed to be dark right now, but the way it was written she doesn't seem much different, maybe just a little more confident.

Julie
I like her a lot more in Rebel Dream.....

LanceWindu
I still need to get around to reading that.

I guess when I finish Dark Force Rising then I'll take a break from the Thrawn Trilogy to catch up on some NJO.

Julie
You better hurry if you want to get to read Rebel Stand soon after it releases smile

LanceWindu
I won't be able to yet. Because after RD I'm going to my local library cause they recently got the AOTC novel there and they already have their copy of Rebel Stand ordered so it'll be there the day it comes out!

Julie
Good, when your ready for it, put it on hold that way you'll be sure to get ahold of it

LanceWindu
I'm gonna try to get both at the same time (whenever that is) so I don't have to wait in between reads.

Julie
That's a good idea....too bad we didn't think of it before we started NJO....the waits are exciting but excrutiatingly long......even though they are only a few months each wink stick out tongue

LanceWindu
I remember a big gap between Conquest and Rebirth though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.