MLB playoffs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
With the long baseball regular season finally over, now the real fun starts.

With both the A's and Giants knocked out I am know a Red Sox fan as you can see with my avator. Let's hope for as good playoffs as years past with better results.

Now onto my prediction for the first round matchups for the AL.

Red Sox vs Angles

Starting Pitching- With Schilling, Wakefield and Pedro the Sox have the advantage in pitching but a lot hings if Pedro can get out of his funk, the Angles have been pitching better but other than when Colon's on, nobody really scares me on the Angles staff.
Advantage- Red Sox

Hitting- Both teams have mashers in Glaus, Anderson and Vlad for the Angles and Ortiz and Manny for the Bosox. Both teams have speed guys with Damon, Roberts, Eikstien and Figgins. Really both offenses are almost mire images of each other. One thing that's a good and bad thing for the Bo Sox are the difference in their hitting when there in Fenway and not in Fenway because there's a dastric difference in the team averages
Even

Bullpen- You could argue that the Angles have the best bullpen in baseball. They can actually play a six inning game with Donnely, Shields, K-Rod and Percival. The Red Sox are now slouch either with good righty leftie guys with Timlin and Embre and a great closer in Foulke.
Advantage- Angles because of a deeper bullpen.

Defense- The Angles are pretty solid at all positions but losing Guillen could hurt, because of his cannon arm. The Red Sox are much improved with their trades and now their defense is a strength which wasn't the case earlier in the year.
Even

Managers- As much as a hate Schosa(sp?) he's a damn good manager which I can't say the same about Francona as he has been questioned by the Boston faithfull a lot this season.
Advantage- Angles

My prediction- Red Sox in 4
I think the inconstitent Angle starting pitching is going to be their undoing.

Dr. Strangelove
Yankees vs Twins

Starting Pitching- With aces Santana, Radke and the durable Silva the Twins clearly have the advantage. The Yankees have the clutch El Douqe and everybody else. The Yanks have to hope Mussina will show up or they will be in big trouble.
Advantage- Twins in a land slide

Hitting- There's nothing that I need to explain about the Yanks offense that hasn't been already said, just plain Powerfull. The Twin's rely on hit and run and stealing bases for offense. Their not great, but with their pitching they don't need very much offense anyways.
Advantage- Yankees in a land slide

Bullpen- This is a tough one to call. The Twins have the deeper bullpen with Rincon, Romero and Nathan but I still have worries about them. It will be interesting to see what Nathan will do with some pressure on him as he didn't do well in clutch situation's with the Giants. The Yankees aren't as deep with Quantrill arm falling off, but once it gets to the 8th it's over. With Gordon and of course Rivera the Yankees have more experience at the end of games.
Advantage- Yankees but not by much

Defense- The Twins are one of the better defenses in the league, while the Yankees are good in spots and bad in others. The Yankees biggest weakness is if both Bernie and Lofton are in the outfield as both have very weak throwing arms.
Advantage- Twins

Manager- Joe Torre, nuff said.
Advantage- Yankees

My prediction- Yankees in 5
While the Twins look better on paper, the Yankees still will have some postseason suprises that stats can't comprehend.

I'll post my NL predictions tomorrow as I have a big math test tomorrow and I need my beauty sleep. sleep

forumcrew
yea im in the same boat with the M's blowing and the giants not making it go sox.. and its gotta be them and NY in the alcs and sox can take them in a series

Shaolin Monk
I agree with your AL predictions, and I am very curious as to what your NL predictions are...Here is mine

Dodgers VS. Cardinals

Starting Rotation:

Game1: Perez(7-6) VS Williams(11-8)
Game2: Weaver(13-13) VS Marquis(15-7)
Game3: Lima(13-5) VS Morris(15-10)

The Cardinals rotation would be better than the Dodgers if Chris Carpenter was going to be playing (he's out for the entire NLDS), and if Matt Morris wasn't struggling. With that said, I think the starting pitcher's will matchup well. All three pitchers for the Dodgers can have great success...but all 3 can also be out of the game within the first 3 innings. It's hard to tell with those guys, they aren't consistent. Lima is prolly throwing the best right now.
Advantage: Even

Hitting:

Cardinals obviously have the best offense in the Majors. They hit for power, average, and can clutch hit. The Dodgers have an offense that could be one of the best, if they were more consistent, and didn't rely on late inning heroics.
Advantage: Cardinals

Bullpen:

If the Dodgers wouldn't have traded Mota, and Gagne was 100%, then I might give the edge to the Dodgers. However, that is not the case. The Cardinals have Isringhausen and others who have performed well under pressure...but some of the relievers are also known to choke.

Defense:

Dodgers have made less errors (I believe) and have a better Fielding Percentage (not by much). Besides errors, the numbers almost match.
Advantage: Dodgers, slightly

Managers:

Jim Tracy has done a swell job with the Dodgers this year. His playoff experience isn't much...and if they plan on making late inning comebacks, they will have already lost.

Tony La Russa has playoff experience, and is a definite Hall-of-Famer. If he continues to manage the way he has all year, the Cardinals should be just fine.
Advantage: Cardinals

Prediction: Cardinals in 4

Astros VS. Braves

Ahhhh Atlanta...the team I have followed since I was 7, since they lost the 91 World Series. This year was the year the Braves were sposed to find themselves in 3rd place, behind the Phillies and Marlins...but no, that didn't happen. Supreme coaching has led them back to the playoffs for the 13th consecutive year. The Astros are on a very
hot streak...but we all know streaks will end. Roger Clemens won't be 100% on Wednesday, no matter what he says.

Starting Rotation:

Game1: Clemens(18-4) VS Wright(15-8)
Game2: Oswalt(20-10) VS Thomson(14-8)
Game3: Houston hasn't made a dection VS Hampton(13-9)

Wright and Thomson were both huge surprises this year in their success. They have done well, and I think they will
both do well in the playoffs. I will never doubt Clemens, whether he is 100% or not, but I think that he will matchup perfectly with Wright(remember, Wright has post-season experience with the Indians). Although the Astros look better statistically, historically the Braves have dominated the Astros in October. I think that out of all
the series to watch, this none will be the most fun.

Hitting:

Phew, Biggio, Bagwell, Burkman, Beltran...scary! I would not want to face these guys. If the Astros continue to
hit the way they have since the end of August, only the Cardinals will be able to match them. However, I have a feeling that the Astros are losing steem. Chipper Jones is supposedly ok, after being hit on the hand with a Carlos Zambrano fastball on Saturday. With both teams healthy, and Clemens and Wright on the mound for game 1, I think the bats of both teams will be tamed. Also, Oswalt has either killed the Braves, or the Braves have killed Oswalt. The Braves have better pinch and clutch hitting, while the Astros have a better 1-8 lineup (statistically).
Advantage: Astros, slightly

Bullpen:

Sure, Brandon Lidge has done awesome as the closer for Houston. But does he compare to Smoltz? Simply put,
no. As far as relievers, Juan Cruz, Antonio Alfonseca, and Chris Reitsma all can go 2 innings for the Braves. I think this is where the Braves must succeed...in getting the Astros into their bullpen by the 6th inning. The Astros bullpen is probably their Achilles Heel. Also, the Braves have the best ERA in the NL(possibly majors?).
Advantage: Braves

Defense:

The Braves first half was horrible. All baseball fans know that. A lot of their errors came in the first half. Once Chipper Jones returned to 3rd, and Charles Thomas and Eli Marrero took over in Right Field, these guys become solid by mid-August. The Astros have a good defense, but it's just that - it's good. The Braves have an awesome defense. They have the fastest outfield in the majors, led by the 2nd best center fielder to ever play the game, Andruw Jones (Willie Mays will be the best until Jones retires, when their numbers will be compared). The Braves are top 3 in turning double plays (I think they have turned the most, but I'm not positive).
Advantage: Braves

Managers:

Phil Garner took over around the All-Star Break for Jimmy Williams. He has done a good job, but I don't credit the Astros success to him. I credit it to the Cubs! If the Cubs wouldn't have went into the Astrodome, acting "tough" one might say, then the Astros Players wouldn't have kicked it into high gear for the final 60 games of the season. The Cubs/Astros scuffle that occured lit a fire in Houston.

Bobby Cox. Need I say more?
Advantage: Braves by far

Overrall:

I think the Braves play better as underdogs...they proved it all year. With Andy Petite out, I think the Braves have the overall edge over the Astros. As long as the Braves can get into the Astros bullpen, there is no reason this shouldn't be over in 3 games. But then there is Roger clemens and Roy Oswalt. If they both pitch to their
abilities, this will go to game 5.

Braves in 4

Dr. Strangelove
I agree with everything you said with the Cards Dodgers series. The Cards are better than every facet, but one thing that sould be interesting with the Cardinals bullpen guys having a history of chocking that could be trouble with the Dodgers offense late inning heroics and how are the Cards going to do with playing a meaningfull game which they really haven't played one all year, but I still see it Cards in four.

Braves Astros is a tough one to call for me. Both are pretty evenly matched, but the Astros have a better hitting team and they can throw out two aces and the're the hottest team going into the playoffs which in years past have propelled teams far into the playoffs. Also correct me if I'm wrong as you know more about the Braves than I do, hasn't Smoltz somewhat struggled recently. I see it Astro's in five in a very close series.

Also welcome to KMC, it's always nice to see more baseball fans on this site. big grin

Shaolin Monk
for me its awesome to see baseball fans PERIOD lol...I rarely find someone who actually talks baseball, without the "oh my team is better than yours, your team sux, even though I don't know what a Balk or Hit and Run is" mentality

Smoltz was struggling in late August, early September. His last 4 appearences were good. Reitsma is the main person I am worried about. He has been SO inconsistent. He could go 5 games, and throw perfect. Then the next 10 games he could throw without being able to get more than 1 out. Then 5 games of escaping other pitchers from jams. Then a game or two of giving up 4 hits in a row. He's just really inconsistent. He's not even consistently bad...which could be a worse sign.

I am hoping that he will come through, he has the stuff, just needs to be consistent..one way or another lol.

But Smoltz's last outings of the season were good. He picked up the save Saturday over the Cubs, and I was glad he pitched so that we could see how he was throwing. Hopefully it carries over to the post-season, and he doesn't pull a Reitsma LOL

oh, btw...I just found out Mike Hampton is getting the start in Game 2 of the NLDS for the Braves. Thomson has a strained muscle "in his side" is what it says on atlantabraves.com . Hampton is 11-1 in his last 14 appearences, so thats good!

cal31
AL predictions

Twins over Yankees in 5. Yankees don't have anybody to match Santana or Radke, nuff said

Boston over Anaheim in 4. Angels don't have the pitching to keep with the Red Sox

ALCS

Twins over Red Sox in 6. Santana over Schilling, Martinez and Radke are equal, Carlos Silva over any of their back end starters

NL predictions

Cardinals over Dodgers in 4. Dodgers just don't match up with the Cardinals in anyway.

Astros over Braves in 5. This series will be the best. No team has that big of edge over on another, but that being said, I think the Astros have a little bit more offense which will push them past the Braves.

NLCS

Cardinals over Astros in 6. Cardinals are just a much better overall team.

World Series

Twins over Cardinals in 7. This series is going to be just as good as the 87' series between these two teams. Once again though, the Twins pitching pushes them past the Cardinals.

WindDancer
Schilling smack the Angels good in game 1. Washburn wasn't so bad what cause him the lost were the errors Figgycommited. Man! Mike should have never put him on 3rd. Bad decision. Anyways, the best match-up is for game two. Martinez and Colon. That one is going to be much more competitive.

cal31
I agree, Martinez isn't the pitcher he used to be but he is still a good pitcher, and Colon has really come on in the second half.

Shaolin Monk
today was almost exactly how I think a lot of us expected it to go, excluding the die-hard Yankee fans who assume they will continue their post-season success, pre-2001

Cardinals/Dodgers game:

I was surprised at how bad Woody Williams was pitching the first few innings. He had a lot of balls up, and ran a lot of 2 ball counts. The Dodgers simply didn't take advantage of that. Most of their hits were Texas Leaguers. Odalis Perez actually had good stuff, until the 2 out tear the Cardinals went on in the 3rd.

Red Sox/Angels:

Schilling continued his post-season success, and I think Francona was smart in starting him in Game 1 instead of Martinez (some of the "experts" disagreed with Francona).

Like WindDancer said, Washburn wasn't pitching bad at all (he got that low strike called on Ramirez, in the 3rd I believe?). If Figgins woulda made a good throw to home, he gets the out, and the Sox don't get all those runs. Washburn probably would have stayed in the game longer.

Yankees/Twins:

Twins defense was awesome. I don't credit most of the double plays to the middle infielders though...sure, they turned the double plays, but those should be routine. Santana made the pitches that forced the batters to hit ground balls right at em. Hunter did make that awesome catch though to rob A-Rod. (Which is why he's 2nd best to Andruw Jones, and not Jim Edmonds.)

I cannot stand the Fox commentators for the post-season. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver should not be commentating. Sure, they work for Fox, but that shouldn't give them rights to the post-season. I think that the commentators that work the teams regular season games should get to work the playoffs. They deserve it too!

Pffft, they tried saying Mussina was out-pitching Santana, the inning after Jacque Jones hit the home run. Are they retarded? Their numbers were pretty close, excluding the 2 earned runs Mussina gave up. I thought they both pitched well, but Santana and the bullpen were able to shut the Yanks down.

Can't wait for tomorrow, my team plays! Good Luck Braves!

cal31
I know what you are talking about with Joe Buck and Mcarver, that was annoying the hell out of me when they said Mussina was outpitching Santana when it's 2-0. How do you out pitch someone when you give up 2 runs including a homerun, and the other guy doesn't even give up a run when he doesn't have his best stuff. Won't have to listen to that much longer though, 2 more games and the Yankees are done.

Shaolin Monk
lmao, hell yeah cal31! I really think the Twins can sweep the Yankees, but I don't know if they belive it. They have an awesome chance, with Radke going today, and then heading back to play in "The Dome"...loudest place on earth lol...

Linkalicious
don't get your hopes up. They aren't going to take 3 in a row from the Yankees. no

oh, and that doesn't matter anyways. Angels are going all the way. stick out tongue

Turbo-Cajun
Twins in 3 over the Yankees, I watched the game last night with Santana... awesome.

DanZeke25
Shaolin.... I like Tori better... but thats cause i hate the Braves cause I'm a Phillies Fan.... And my fiend is a Yankees fan and I alaway say something to him when they lose and heres what he said..... "Who cares? It just one game. And the only reason they won is because Santana was pitching. Now its Lieber vs. Radke and we're going to win cause Lieber is way better than Radke." HAHA.... Leiber better than Radke! Yeah right.

cal31
Yeah, Radke is a 20 game winner and was in the top ten ERA in the AL this year, but I guess Jon Leiber in his first year back with a 4.33 ERA is better, ha!

cal31
Yup, I'm gonna be at the game on Friday, that place is going to be rockin, especially after they complete the sweep. rock rock Happy Dance Happy Dance

Turbo-Cajun
Are you from minneapolis Cal31? Its been a while since I've been to a dome game...

cal31
Yeah, I live around Jordan if you know where that is.

Dr. Strangelove
5-5 going into the bottom of the 8th. Nice comback by the Twinkies. I was suprised that Rivera went with his fastball so much instead of the cutter since the cut-fastball is his bread and butter pitch.

Dr. Strangelove
Angles are pretty lucky to get out of those two innings, but I see trouble with Colon's pitch count getting up.

Nathan has shown me a lot. On to the 12th. eek!

Dr. Strangelove
Ack! What a horrendous move by Gardenhire. Didn't he see that Nathan was done from throwing nine straight balls and almost 50 pitches.

Shaolin Monk
Yeah Dr. Strangelove...I dunno what he was thinkin...As soon as the 8th ball was pitched, Joe Nathan shoulda been outta there! I mean, he's used to pitchin 25 pitches tops, and what more could you have asked from him up until then?

Did you see how great the Braves played today? They really took advantage of all the walks Clemens threw...they really capitalized....can you sense my frustration and sarcasm?

I have no problem with a team I like losing...but I have a huge problem with a team I like losing when they don't execute. Clemens should not have lasted past the 5th. The Braves 3-6 hitters were horrible at the plate. I'm trying to show a little sympathy towards Charles Thomas, when he struck out with the bases loaded...even though he swung at three balls...he's young, never been in the playoffs in his life, had to face Clemens with crazy pressure. Still...you don't deserve to win if you don't take advantage of bases loaded, 1 out situations!

Kudo's to the Astros offense...They looked good today!

I'll be back after Angels/Red Sox (Molina made a good play when he nabbed the runner at 2nd).

cal31
All I'm gonna say is that Gardenhire should never be let to manage a baseball game ever again. He already made the same mistake in leaving Radke in too long so he could give up one more homerun, but I guess that wasn't enough for him.

Shaolin Monk
wonder if the owners will take action like the red sox organization did last year, and fire the manager...and it will have to do with how long pitcher's are left in for

Red Sox did well though...Cabrera came through, which was awesome to see...always enjoyed watching him play when it was Braves VS. Expos.

hopefully tomorrow and friday will be much better days for the Braves and Twins fans

DanZeke25
Darn! I knew they shouldn't have kept Nathan in. I was so happy when Tori hit that home-run too.

cal31
That's what makes it even worse. To see the Twins comeback like that, and have Torii playing his heart out, only to have it all thrown away because Gardenhire doesn't know what the hell he's doing. mad mad

Shaolin Monk
on Sportscenter this morning, they referred to the situation as..."Gardenhire pulled a Grady Little"...I completely agree, as I'm sure most of you do also

I am having extreme difficulties watching the Braves/Astros game right now!

What more could Atlanta ask for, runner on 2nd, one out in the first, J.D. Drew and Chipper Jones coming up, then one out, runners on 1st and 2nd in the third, with Drew and Chipper comin up....but nothin!!

They are completely flat! How could you not be excited when you're in the playoffs? Although i will find my way back to the couch to support Atlanta, I am disgusted.

cal31
Only he did it much worse, he did it twice in the same game!

Mr Parker
I was disgusted with the manager of the angels leaving that relief pitcher in the game as long as he did because he was so wild and his wildnesss cost them the game against the red sox. mad

Dr. Strangelove
Scooter needs to die!

forumcrew
whoever wanted to count the cards out becuase they lacked pitching.. well i think you just learned baseball isnt football. in the nfl defense wins championships (02' bucs) in baseball if you can produce amasing runs you only need a so-so pitching staff to win

Shaolin Monk
who counted the cards out? i don't think anyone counted the cards out...simply because of their offense, and ok pitching...but it can easily be the other way around, not just amazing offense...an amazing 3 man rotation with so-so hitting can win it for ya too

wuTa
that sucked...i hate the dodger but i like weaver who was doomed from the start....dodgers couldnt do anything thing right defensivly last night to back him up

Mr Parker
So at this point,whats everybodys predictions for the playoffs,the world series teams,and the world series winner? mine is Yankees over twins,red sox over angels,cardinal over dodgers,astros over braves with red sox beating yanks and going to the series-remember they dont have andy pettit or roger clemens this year. and cardinals beating astros going to the series,with cardinals beating sox in the world series.Whats your alls?

forumcrew
Red Sox over Cardinals atleast I hope

wuTa
i would like to see twins over yankees, boston over anahiem, twins over boston.....astros over braves, cardinals over dodgers, cardinals over astos....of course thats what i would LIKE to see but probly wont happen

for the world series its probly gonna be cards and sox...i say cards in 6

cal31
Going to the Twins game tonight, come on Silva!

Mr Parker
Yeah I would LIKE to see the twins go to the series since they are a small market team and win the whole thing but like you said,what you would like to see and what will probably happen are two different things.

Dr. Strangelove
WHHHHHOOOO HOOO WHAT A GAME! eek!

DanZeke25
Yea that was great! I like the Angels a little too though.... so i wouldnt have mind is they won that game... as long as the Red Sox still won the series....

forumcrew
glad the angels got swept personally cant stand them..
the last time the bosox swept in the playoffs they took it all i believe.. not lookin great for the twins either

cal31
Well the Twins should win tom., Santana vs. Vazquez, no contest, but Game 5 I don't know.

DanZeke25
Yea they should win... and hopefully they can win game five...

Shaolin Monk
come on twins, beat those Yanks! Braves/Astros in 30 mins...hopefully Furcal's game winner in extra innings will spark the Braves' offense...and since Backe is pitching, it gives the Braves a really good chance....i still really don't know who will win this series...if the braves play the next few games like they did the first two, then the Astros will win...if they actually hit, then the braves will...

DanZeke25
EDIT Nevermind

Shaolin Monk
Astros out performed the Braves again, they did a great job with clutch 2 out hits...now come on Santana!!

DanZeke25
Yea!! Twins winning 5-1 in the eighth.... now hopefully they can hang on and win tomorow

DanZeke25
Are u kidding me!!! Come on Twins!!!!

DanZeke25
Damn! Yankees won. Now lets go Sox!!!

forumcrew
cant say i told you so enough.. twins were a good team, but they just dont have what it takes.. for some reason ive just never respected them.. they put up a good run though.. well played.. and now its almost garunteed that the alcs is gonna be better then the ws

Dr. Strangelove
Nice to see Lima get the complete game shutout. I love that guy.

IT'S LIMA TIME, BELIEVE IT!

wuTa
yes it was...lima was great but i still hate the dodgers and hope they lose but it was nice to see him do so good....if your a tiger fan its tough to root against weaver and lima but as a giants fan its impossible to root for the dodgers...weaver and lima can have good outings any other dodger can suck it

Shaolin Monk
but the thing is, they did have enough...Gardenhire just didn't have short enough of a leash...any baseball expert will tell you that in the playoffs you must have a short leash...personally, I think Gardenhire SHOULD have went to Nathan in the 8th when there was one out, instead of leavin Rincon in. Especially in a do-or-die game.

Lima was superb. Goes to show good pitching does beat good hitting. Game 4 tomorrow will be very interesting. The Dodgers definitely have the momentum, but will need Odalis to pitch well.

cal31
Yes they did have enough, except a manager, they should've won game 2, and if they had they would've won the series, and I don't know how you can't respect a team that has won the division 3 years in a row with won of the lowest payrolls. They played great, and they should've won the series, only 3 moves cost them, keeping Nathan and Radke in too long, and taking Santana out way too soon.

Turbo-Cajun
I ****ing hate the Yankee's.

God damn it.

Shaolin Monk
i can't take this anymore...too much excitement/frustration/joy/anger within a short period of time lol

Gardner made a huge mistake in today's game. Why the hell did he make that double switch? I'm sure he's second guessing himself right now, as are the owners! Good job Smoltz, good job braves' bullpen...Game 5 tomorrow, hopefully it will be a good one, win or lose

forumcrew
look at the twins divison.. winning it is not a big accomplishment.. plus the red sox and NY are often in the alcs together and if not, its gonna be a team from the west over the central almost every time. dont get me wrong i hate the yankees, but theres no should have won or we would have won.. they took it 3-1 so obviously they simply out played them, made better choices, whatever it was they won again

cal31
Yes it is a big deal, both the Indians and the White Sox had very good hitting teams this year and look how good the Indians did against the Yankees in the regular season, and when the Sox made the deal for Garcia, everybody said the Twins were done, well they were very wrong just like when almost everyone picked the twins to finish third in the beginning. Also, I seem to remember the Twins beating the A's in 2002, and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the A's from the west? The Twins were a better team, there's no doubt in my mind, but the Yankees just outmanaged the Twins with the best manager in baseball.

badsymbiote
Pretty satisfied with the results in post season thus far--the games I've watched so far have been really exciting, but I can say nothing about that that hasn't already been said already here, but I was sad to hear that Ken Caminiti died. They say it was a heart attack, but I'm sure it will not be a natural death like Darryl Kile's--we all know how many problems Caminiti had with drugs and steroids during the latter half of his career.
Still, it is sad--and I, for one, will remember him fondly. No matter how many times he got it trouble, he kept trying to get back into baseball, and every time he attempted a comeback I pulled for him. I really hoped he would get it together. I think he was 42 years old, but I can't be sure. Too young to die, that's for sure.

forumcrew
yea but cal i seem to remember the angels winning the WS in 2002.. all im saying is the competition in the central is no where nere the level of the west or east.. well the sox and yanks in the east. but the west is one of the divisions that can end up a race between all 4 teams.. and out managed is the same as being out hit in my book.. its all part of the game.

ken was 41

ps superman died yesterday

DanZeke25
I cant wait til tuesday... Soxs Vs. Yanks....

and i forgot to metion this a while ago... did anyone see the Pet Rose Movie on ESPN... I did... I thought it was pretty good... Its a shame though.... he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame... I think they should put him in the Hall of Fame... but not back into baseball...

wuTa
i dont think he should be in the hall and if they dont put him in they should wait 14 years to put him in just coz thats how long it took him to realize he's not bigger than baseball

im lookin foward to tonights game with the braves and astos....i'll be rootin for the astros...i think it would be pretty funny if the stros and yankees met in the world series and the houston and clemens beat them...i'd like to see that just to see steinbreiner cry

Dr. Strangelove
I didn't watch it as I hate ESPN trying to be all MTV with selling out to the sports viewer for the mainstream viewer, but that's for another thread at another time.

I think he should be in the HOF as he got all the accolades as a player not as a manager, but as you said he shouldn't be back in baseball.

Shaolin Monk
nooo wuta, you want the braves to win tonight...you told me the other day, remember?

As far as the ESPN movie Hustle, I haven't seen it yet, I hear it's good...but I agree with Strangelove in that ESPN has sold out as of late...only thing I watch on ESPN is Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight, and sporting events

WindDancer
What can I say? Both Dodgers and Angels eliminated and we have another Boston and NY series. Not to fond of either the Braves or the Astros so I'm picking the Cards. As for the Red Sox...well, as a good sport I wish them best of luck agains't the Yanks.

cal31
Yeah, I can't stand to watch Sportscenter anymore, every show, the first half hour is dedicated to the Yankees or Lakers if which ever season it is, and their insight has gotten worse and worse, I mean they have Sean Salsburysteak as a football analyst!!!!! Only show that's worth watching is Baseball tonight.

badsymbiote
Thanks, forumcrew, I didn't see that Reeve died until this morning.

I was checking ESPN this afternoon to watch football highlights to see how the Seahawks were able to lose that game yesterday (I had stopped watching the Hawks game after the 1st half, and figured that they had it pretty much in the bag), and saw that friggen reality show of theirs whose winner gets a job as the newest ESPN broadcaster...ugh. Talk about sellin' out.

But I was flipping through the channels a couple of weeks ago, and did catch "The Hustle". I thought the movie was good--it certainly didn't sully his reputation any more than he has--I think it may have helped, actually. Tom Sizemore is the actor who plays Rose--and he did a good job. They managed to make him look the part--they even got Tom's hair to do that Pete Rose thing. Sizemore was a convincing Rose, and captures for posterity exactly why the man should be banned from the game, but it does so in a way that sort of makes you feel sorry for him. But, not too sorry.

Dr. Strangelove
Well it looks like it's Astros Cards and Sox Yankees. I'm picking an Red Sox Astros world series. I really hope it won't be Cards and Yankees as I hate both teams and it would be tough to hear Tim McCarver gush over Jeter and Pujol's thighs all game. sick

Shaolin Monk
laughing laughing laughing

i needed a laugh, thanks doc

guess i can wait 5 months to see the braves play again

Dr. Strangelove
No prob, I can't take full credit as the joke originated from all people Ben Affleck when he was on the Best Damn Sports Show Peroid. He did a great McCarver impression with something like "how many times can you talk about Jeter's thighs" comment. I just added Pujol's name as during game 4 McCarver calling Pujol's "built like a greek god" and "just a monstrious body" or some kind of comment like that.

Sorry about your Braves, I would root for your team more if they would just get rid of the "Tomahawk Chop" which is probably the most annoying thing I have ever seen.

wuTa
i did?...i think you were tryin to trick into rootin for the braves...but if i did say braves i defintly meant astos...i like watching both jones play but thats about it....the braves are on tv so much but like the 6th game of the season im already sick of seeing them...its bad enough there on TBS 24/7 but they have to go and make the playoffs EVERY year so they stay on tv.....GET OFF MY TV!!!!

Shaolin Monk
lol i was just messin with ya wuta

you're right doc, the tomahawk chop is rather annoying, specially cause whenever they do it, the inning ends

Go Sox! I love what Curt Schilling said yesterday...."I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up"

DanZeke25
^^^^ LMAO

when did he say that?

Man... i wish he was still with the Phillies... and Rolen too... we might've been in the playoffs with them

cal31
Just to show how much the media has way to much coverage of the Yankees, look at how much publicity the death of Rivera's cousin's wife is getting, it made the front section on ESPN.com, yet when Jacque Jones' father died, it got a one line sentence at the end of the game summary, and when he hit a homerun in the first game back after visitng his family, all that gets is a little mention of, " he's playing with a heavy heart", and then on to " Jeter is the greatest player ever".

Shaolin Monk
i think it was his wife's cousin and his son...but I totally see what you mean cal

DanZeke, I use this site for most of my sport news, because they updated their stuff ASAP, and there is always good stuff to read

Shaolin Monk
dood, wtf 5-0...bah!

Sith Master X
Well, here we go again. Year after year, the Red FLOPS choke again and it's already in game 1. God I HATE THE YANKEES!

Shaolin Monk
bleh! blah! grrrr! durn yankees...just gonna have to go get after em tomorrow, turn the page, schilling didn't have his good stuff, but it's good to know Pedro's on the nipple for Game 2

Dr. Strangelove
I have some worries for the BoSox if Schilling is done for the rest of the series. Also as the baseball tonight crew said, absolutely terrible move by Francona not bringing in Foulke in the 8th when there only down one and then bringing him in when there down 3. One thing to watch if the games keep close is if Rivera and Gordan innings catch up to them as both were used a lot during the regular season and the first round of the playoffs.

Well game 2 tomorrow. Let's see if Pedro can beat his daddy. big grin

forumcrew
pedro better have the game of his life.. when will boston learn to go to the pen earlier?

Dr. Strangelove
Yeah I think wether Pedro will have a good start will be based on how much velocity Pedro gets on his fastball. If he gets 91-94 he'll have a good game but if his fastball is more 90-86 it could be a long night.

Mr Parker
I wouldnt exacly say they choked.They could have given up and quit when they were down 8 to nothing but they didn't and came back 8-7 to make it a game again.That kind of comeback to almost win the game has to have lifted their spirits and make them feel good about themselves going into game two tonight.Remember? tha yankees dont have a quality pitching staff this year and are not deep in the rotation like they were last year when the had Clemmons and wells and Pettit.all whom are gone now.

Mr Parker
Lukily for you Strangelove that Joe torre gave your sox a chance to make it a game again by doing something just as stupid which as the announcers were saying,Leaving Flash Gordon in to face Ortiz I think it was who hit the two run double and got them within one run.It made no sense why torre did not bring Rivera in as the announcers were saying to face ortiz since Gordon had never fared well against him before and Rivera had.Thanks to Torres blundering,he made it a game for your sox again.The announcers were saying they thought thats why they got Rivera ready to go in the bullpen so that If gorden did not get the hitter out before Ortiz,then he would bring in Rivera to face ortiz.Questionable and bad decisons on both managers in this game.

DanZeke25
Hopefully Pedro has a good game.... and it was funny when Wakefield was in and a Knuckle-ball almost hit jeter in the head... all the fans where like OOOH!!! like it was a 95 mph fastball... jeez... calm down... it was knuckle ball... and I agree with u Mr. Spider

Shaolin Monk
WTF?! why the hell is the Astros/Cards game and Sox/Yanks game on at the same time??? this is fockin retarded

bah

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3077760

shows what you will get on what channels, depending on where you live...i'm from northern california, so guess its Sox/Yanks on Fox, Astros/Cards on FSN...which sux cause I usually don't get FSN...i only get it when there are special things on...hopefully this will fockin count...they think they are doing everyone a favor playing them both at 5pm on separate channels...but it's retarded..

Dr. Strangelove
Damn Beltran is sick! Stros with the 2-0 lead. Let's go Astros!

Dr. Strangelove
Pedro gave up the one run but he had his nasty stuff, so the Red Sox should be okay unless they get shut out by Lieber.

wuTa
"unless they get shutout by Leiber"....it actually might happen....i mean Leiber?.....unreal

forumcrew
i just switch from fox to fsn and then the debate for a good laugh..

not looking great for boston although 1 run isnt horrible.. 4-3 houston aswell which is big for them to take game 1

cal31
as much as everyone didn't want to believe it this year, I did too, the Yankees are the best team in baseball.

forumcrew
yea im afraid its over now baring some miracle like shef arod and rivera dying

Shaolin Monk
that was so annoying...having to switch back and forth...i'm a very impatient person...really pissed me off...anywho, glad the Cards won, bummed the Yanks won...Lieber pitched really well, as did Pedro

Mr Parker
I dont know about that.I think the cardinals who look like a team to be reackoned with,barring a comeback from the astros or red sox and assuming these two teams meet,that they could give the yankees problems.They won more games than anybody in the major leagues after all.I am surprised about Lieber though.I figured Lieber? he's just an average pitcher,the yankees with pedro on the mound for the sox will lose this one.Mussina yes I would expect HIM to only give up one run to the sox but Lieber? never in my wildest imiaginations. eek! It looks gloomey for the sox though not being able to win once with their two best starters.

I am a happy camper though. big grin In the past,I have always hateed the yankees as much as anybody after all I am a royals fan and people in kansas city hate the yankees with a passion,but they also hate Johnny Damon who is a liar and I hate him more than the yankees so as long as he plays for the sox,when these two teams play now,I have to do the despisable and root for the yankees.For the world series though,I will for sure be rooting for them to lose though. big grin But right now I am happy the red sox are down 2-0. sorry sox fans but the curse of Babe ruth and the yankess have on you, lives on. big grin

Mr Parker
By the way,Johnny Damon is an ugly looking dude.He looks like a gorilla or something with that long hair and beard.Go yankees. big grin

WindDancer
Sometimes I hate the Yanks sometimes I cheer for them. Watching the Red Sox lose 2 puts a smile on my face.....see------> smile

DanZeke25
I will always hate the Yankees... unless somehow... there is a Salary Cap and it becomes fair to the rest of the league.... but thats not gonna happen... and i think the Red Sox are done.... if they win all three in Fenway... then i think they will win it... but they can't lose at all for the next three games.... hopefully Schilling will be able to pitch on game 5.... even if he isnt 100%... i have more faith in him then Lowe... and if the Yankees win...(which they probaly will) then I hope the cards or Astros beat the hell out of them... I think the Cards are the best team in beseball this year...and i think they will beat the Yankees in the World Series... but i;m not so sure about Houston

Shaolin Monk
agree wink

i'm glad scott rolen snapped outta his slump...cards offense too much for astros...how about beltran though, geesh

Anth
GO YANKS! Pedro, whose your daddy?

GO ASTROS!

DanZeke25
^^^ Go Sox! Yankees, Who's Your Daddy? The Cards will be in the World Series.

Go Cards! or Go Astros!(id rather have the cards cause i like the cards a little and i know they will crush the Yankees, but i would also like to see the Astros cause they've never been there... and if they do, they better beat the Yankees

Dr. Strangelove
It will be interesting to see how the Yankees hitters will do against Arroyo as they don't know him as good as Pedro and Schilling. But if Boston hitters keep stinking up the joint this series is over.

cal31
Just thought I'd post this picture that was on ESPN.com, pretty much sums up the Red Sox right now :

DanZeke25
well this game might not go down... and i hope so... cuase then it gives schilling another day and i think he will pitch

Shaolin Monk
Postponed sad

DanZeke25
i wanted to watch the game... but im glad cause it give the Red Sox a chance to get Schilling to pitvh... and i think he will(if he doesnt Pedro will... so we benefit from it either way)

Shaolin Monk
grrrrr bad 1st inning

good 2nd inning

DanZeke25
Bad game so far... we're hitting... but we can't pitch... The Red Sox better come back to win this game... 11-6 rite now... but its only the 5th

DanZeke25
its over... 13-6 now

DanZeke25
definately over ow 17-6... jeez... the sox can't play any good baseball... as i say this varitek hits a homerun 17-8

DanZeke25
its still 17-8 in 8th... its over... but i hope the Red Sox win game four... we cant get swept... and i say in game four... we should drill some of thier players just for fun....

cal31
I'd pay just to see Matsui and Jeter get one right in the face big grin

forumcrew
yea so um all red sox fans are now saying go Cards i guess.. what a let down this post season has been.. most expected the ALCS to be better then then world series, and id of figured boston would take 3-0 before ny would.. i think Terry Francona is gonna be looking for a new job next year.. they built a good team, but this post season is gonna most likely end his stent in boston

Dr. Strangelove
Bah, I was just about to disagree with you somewhat about Francona but now he brought in Timlin for Lowe with Matsui on third when Lowe is a ground ball pitcher.

forumcrew
and timlin has been getting his ass kicked, then again so have most of the red sox pitchers

forumcrew
they won a game? now only 3 more to go lol

DanZeke25
lol.... but that game was great.... normally i wouldn't care cause there down 3-0 but i didnt want them to get swept so i was cheering like crazy....

vader519
Even though they are going against history, I still beleive the red sox can do the impossible.

forumcrew
with pedro and schilling going game 5 and 6 they could easily take 2.. just dont think about games 1 and 2 lol

Dr. Strangelove
The Cards Astros game might end before the Red Sox Yankees the way its going. God I love the playoffs big grin. On to the bottom of the twelfth.

badsymbiote
Oh, my God, Ortiz did it AGAIN.

Dr. Strangelove
Papi's the man. Happy Dance

And from what I saw from the replay it was a pretty good cutter by Loaiza that was right inside the strike zone, Papi just fought it off as all great hitters do.

Let's go Astroseek! . Lidge is nasty.

cal31
Why does Ortz have to keep torturing us Twins fans? It'd be the Twins in the World Series right now if they have kept him. As it is, way to go Ortiz.

JKozzy
Ah, sweet irony indeed yes

But the Sox return to NY, trailing three games to two... doing better than I thought they would two days ago yes

darktim1
can't wait to see next game hopefully they can get schilling healthy so they can even the series with the annoying yankee.

Dr. Strangelove
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday-details.html?locid=USNY0172&dayNum=1&from=search

Looks like tomorrow's game could be rained out.

wuTa
beltron has been unbelievable ever since the postseason started and he plays better each game berkman has been playing great too but i think beltrans play has overshadowed what berkman has done....if the game gets rainout thats more rest for schilling

vader519
Looks like they are going to play the game tonight. I can't wait to see it. All the momnetum has swung to the red sox now. I hope they can pull it off.

DanZeke25
Yeah me too... Wow Ortiz is awesome... and the Phillies have a young first baseman Ryan Howard and the people at ESPN says he could be the next David Ortiz.... god i hope thats true... except we got Thome... so we will probaly have to trade howard... anyway how about the Astros.... I think that series will go to game seven... and hopefully Schilling does goood tonight...

forumcrew
ortiz is definantly the man.. big boy even tried to steal! posada almost threw it away he was so schoked.. and even though he was called out he had it safe way to go papi... rain tonight would be great for schilling but it also helps NY their bullpen is KO'd righ now with gordon and rivera throwing 3 nights in a row each, id rather just take them tonight..

jeff kent is also getting over shadowed hes a great veteran player, no doubt one of the few great 2nd baseman in the game right now... wont be suprised if the Yanks dont make a move from him or brett boone

wuTa
the yanks will aslo try and swoop up beltran....it would be sweet if he turns them down but there gonna be throwing so much money in his face its not gonna be funny

DanZeke25
beltran would be my new favorite player if he turned them down

wuTa
i hate Tim McCarver eek!

Shaolin Monk
and Joe Buck, and Steve Lyons, and Thom Brennan....have you heard Brennan laugh? its soooo annoying...

anywho...Ryan Howard could be good if he didn't have such a big head already...he put up some nice minor league numbers...i remember seeing him pinch hit, and he struck out...after the game, he said "well if I was starting, I wouldn't strike out"....so the guy better be humbled, or he's gonna have some problems

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo Sox!

(btw, I was painting my laptop the last 3 days, finally got back online, wo0t)

JKozzy
Who's watching the Sox winning? big grin

Welcome back, Monk! smile

A convo with my friend before the home run:

eagle710 (9:28:45 PM): howd it happen?
Maverick234 (9:28:54 PM): varitek drove in millar at 3rd
eagle710 (9:28:59 PM): excellent
Maverick234 (9:29:09 PM): we've got 2 outs, 2 on, bellhorn up
eagle710 (9:30:11 PM): cmon, hit a homer and we're fine
eagle710 (9:30:11 PM): :-P
Maverick234 (9:30:27 PM): this is bellhorn we're tlaking about lol
Maverick234 (9:30:57 PM): w00t

stick out tongue

Dr. Strangelove
Game 7 baby! This might be history!

JKozzy
It already is! No team's come back from 3-0 in any series. EXCEPT FOR THE RED SOX! big grin

this is such ****in shit!....red sox should be home already....why are the yankees LETTING them win? I don't understand. After a game like on saturday they should be able to just put this series away...freakin gay sox suck my left nut. The red sox curse will continue...i hope yankee fans at the stadium are rioting.

JKozzy
But they're not home, they're spending New York's resources for their own benefit, eating their food, and it'll all boil down to Game 7 tomorrow big grin

(erm, today, by eastern time zone stick out tongue)

Cinemaddiction
Someones bitter.

cal31
I can't believe that it's actually going to a game 7, unbelievable. Come on Sox one more game!!!!! Watching the game tonight just refreshed my memory on how much I hate the Yankees and their "fans"( if you can call them that), and how much I wan them to lose. It was pathetic watching Arod make that cheap as* play hitting Arroyo's arm, then acting if he didn't do a thing and then watching the dumbas* Yankee fans throw baseballs onto the field. They think every call should go their way and if it doesn't, then it's wrong. Please Red Sox, shut New York the hell up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston sucks, and their teams suck...the yankees will foil whatever chances Boston THINKS they have at making it to the World Series once again, how many times have Boston and the Yankees met in a alcs game 7? and how many times have the yankees won?...the curse lives on..

cal31
Good teams do not "let" other teams win, that's what bad teams do

cal31
wow, what a great answer by another bright Yankee fan. If the Red Sox suck, the Yankees must be the worst team in the league if the sucky Red Sox can come back from down 3-0 and make it a game 7 roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dr. Strangelove
Eh yeah they did but if the Yankees win tomorrow this series will just be another Yankees beating Red Sox, but if the Red Sox win tomorrow it will be the greatest comeback in sports history.

forumcrew
yea its still a decent come back and its still history, but after tomorrow it could be the greatest comeback ever.. gotta give props to schilling, he pitched his heart out tonight

the sox got lucky...and yeah the yankees let em win, makes it more exciting for the fans anyway. More excitement=more $

sox suck, boston sux

forumcrew
113 your a total moron.. ive been on this site for years and i will rarely "flame" someone. But ignorant people like yourself make discussion impossible. Theres no way any one can say the yankees let them win, or that boston got lucky. Boston got outplayed the first 3 games, and NY got out played the last 3 its that simple. Also to answer your question, if you watched the game tonight they showd Bostons playoff history, they had one loss to NY in game 7 of the ALCS and that was last year.. so 1 is the answer

geez.. i really need some mod ability.. just get rid of people who talk shit and dont discuss and the bored would have half the clutter.

Game 7 will be very interesting with a variety pack of pitchers, timlin and lowe are the 2 that they are counting on being able to get through most of it... gordon and rivera got a day off finally so it will be interesting

Shaolin Monk
lmao @ 113...you can't get "lucky" 3 games in a row!!

Yankee "fans" are horrible. They act like 14 year old girls that are permanently PMS'ing...if things don't go exactly how they want, they get all pissy. Unlike Sox fans, who back their team through it all, never get all whiny, never make lame excuses....yankee fans make the lamest excuses..."the umpires were horrible!"..."ortiz hit a homerun, but it shouldn't count, it was in extra innings!"..."we were out hit, out pitched, and out played, but it was raining, so it doesn't count!"...or, the yankee fan excuse of choice.....ready?.................."they got lucky!"

I love when ppl see after the game that they were wrong...like the Bellhorn homerun...and the A-Rod stunt...what a lil girl, smackin Arroyo

bottom line, 3 games in a row, the Red Sox BEAT the Yankees...just as the Yankees beat the Red Sox 3 games in a row...

wow..that wasn't hard to admit...that a team beat the team I am rooting for

for the record, i am not a hardcore red sox fan...those who I've actually had discussions on this board with know that

Hopefully Game 7 will be a good one...whoever wins. Good luck to Lowe, I'm glad he's starting and not Wakefield

wuTa
you obviosly dont now many sox fans..yea they back there team up but they can get extremly whine and do make lame excuses

i'd rather have wakefeild in there than lowe but thats just me

G.P
Keep it cool everyone. I don't want this to degenerate. As far as I'm concerned, we're talking about the Final, not about how much fans suck.
Back to sport talks, to game 7, etc.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>