Should Overweight people be charged double?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Ok to today i was watching this Airport documentary and one of the passengers was extremely obese, and he required two seats. He apparently had made no mention of his size when he bought the ticket.
As it turned out, the crew had to offer someone a free voucher if they
would wait for another flight.

Is it right for someone obese to expect to be accomodated doubly, when they only paid for one wink

PVS
hell yeah, charge them double. thats double the size/weigh and one less passenger. you should not be punished for being obese, but you should also not be rewarded. economically, its fair to charge more.

ClaraG
yeah they should be charged for the amount of seats they take up.

Turbo-Cajun
Especially if they give you an in-flight meal.

Linkalicious
I don't think they should be required to pay double.....but they should have to pay proportionately. Like mailing a package across the US.

yerssot
no matter what, there should be bigger chairs for overweight people... and chairs with extra legroom for people with long legs BUT they should say this before hand, not on the spot.
Why? because money is what makes the world go around. If they don't say this, then the company will lose money on them (as said in the first post, they have to give him to chairs)

Linkalicious
I think flights are generally uncomfortable.

I had a 6 hour flight to Cancun, Mexico that was complete and utter hell. There was no leg room, no room to lean back, there was no room on the sides...it was horrid.

I think a general trend in the industry should be towards nicer accomodations at the expense of a higher priced ticket.

Sure that sucks for business people who travel a lot, but if you're the average Joe who's planning a vacation.....is $30-60 more per ticket really going to ruin your plans?

yerssot
technicaly, a business man can write the ticket on his expense account wink

PVS
i think obese people should pay proportionatly more,
and on the flip side, little people should be charged less laughing out loud
their seats should be stackable.

Linkalicious
small people should be forced to travel in the overhead compartment!

Clovie
it is nonsesne messed it's no one fault that they're bigger messed why should they pay more, it's discrimination mad

yerssot
if they eat less and go to the gym, it's not their fault no wink

Clovie
oh it is meant for those who are abuse on their own will?
i understood the topic wrong bag

PVS
its not discrimination, its economics. if someone takes up twice the space,
and weighs twice as much, that is one less passenger allowed on that plane. apart from seats, there is a maximum passenger weight capacity.

why should everone else have to foot the bill?

ladygrim
i dont think they shud pay double because some people cant help being big but they shud have 'wider' seats at a higher price form them

Linkalicious
but then that brings up the moral issue....what if a smaller person wants to purchase a wider seat just because they want to be more comfortable?

ladygrim
well thats just greedyness... smile

PVS
EXACTLY!!!

they are taking up more space and weight capacity.
space=money, for EVERYONE.
give them bigger seats, charge more. its fair.

ladygrim
thnk u ... smile

finti
more or less the same as saying dumb people should go through school twice

ash007
yeah but this is different why whould they get another seat free. I mean i why can't i ask for another seat to rest my legs

PVS
^^^^

yes
and if thats discrimination then i guess someone who is morbidly obese at 900lbs should be able to take up 3 seats at no extra charge. after all, wouldnt want to discriminate.

WindDancer
No they shouldn't. Is just a scheme the Airlane industry has been using to charge ppl extra for ticket. I don't agree with it and to an extreme is discrimination agains't obese people. Make bigger seats is as simple as that. If they continue with these schemes who know what will they do next? Maybe charge a pregnant woman double since she is carrying a baby? Nah! I never agree with corporations and their so called "policies".

PVS
a pregnant woman does not take up more space, she can still hit in a seat.

but i would take what windancer says a bit further. give us ALL bigger seats!!!
then everyone is happy.

Delicious1
i agree smile

BackFire
If they take up two seats then they should pay for two seats. Obviously.

The people who actually need two seats must be horribly fat. I weigh over 300 LBS and I can fit in one seat without problem. They should lose weight, for shits sake.

wolflet_raven
There's this woman who's the vet assistant and her job is to hold down big dogs. She's door shaped(skinny on the side and fricking FAT when faceing foreward) She weighs about 300 but its obviousely unevenly distributed. There are people who weigh more and don't take up two seats. It wouldn't be fair to hererm

Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

hysterical hysterical hysterical hysterical

Oh god thats funny Link!

finti
so people with anorexia will actually get payed to fly then

yerssot
yeah right!
if you want to have bigger seats, then there can be less people on the plane in the first place, ergo, to keep the profit up from before they changed it they have to ask MORE, then you can keep it as it is and those that due to overweight need two chairs, pay for two

it's not discrimination against obese people, it's economics, you need two seats, you pay for two seats... that or lose some weight, either by working out or by an operation.

shaber
big grin laughing out loud

Tired Hiker
laughing out loud laughing out loud

I think they should just make a whole new airline that only caters to fat people. You have to weigh over 400 pounds to fly. smile

WindDancer
So it's about economics, huh? We are talking about large corporations with billions and billions of dollars which could be enough to remodel the interior of the planes. I mean if airlines like Delta and American Airlines can make billions of dollars a year from flights and stocks then they should have enough money to change those small seats and replace them with wider seats. I mean poor corporations we must always give the benefit of the doubt....right?

Also, in order to pay for a regular seat in a plane an obese person must now get on a diet or get surgery in order to travel? That is their personal problem and I don't see why Airlines should take advantage of their obese condition. Gee! Those Airlines corps. are so fair to everyone! why don't they charge midgets kid's prices? They are small as child so why do they pay full price? I mean if fatties should pay for the price of two.....then midgets should pay the price of a kid.

Arachnoidfreak
People are born midgets...noone is born 300 pounds overweight.

Yes, people who take up two seats should be charged for 2 seats. That's how the company KEEPS it's billions of dollars. If the airlines were to give price cuts to every ****ing passenger, then they wouldn't have any money. The whole point is to make quota, or make profit. If you take up two seats on a plane, then you pay for two seats.

Ushgarak
Windancer is right. It does not matter a tiny toss if it is more economical to make them pay double. It is more economical to not build disabled access ramps, but you should anyway. And it does not matter if the obese person is so through his/her own fault or not- they have a right to be if they want; the disadvantage comes through the unhealthiness- it should NEVER come through impositions form other Humans.

You don't pay for the literal seat. You pay for the right of passage. It is absolutely the job of the airline to provide you the means FOR that passage, and to make someone pay more due to personal circumstance is pure discrimination and wrong.

yerssot
yup, it's what makes the world go around, if you don't like that ... I'm sure you can find some islands with no people on it wink
those large corporations with billions and billions of dollars need hundreds of people in their service, hire or have bought umptheen airplanes that don't come cheap, fuell, taxes on airports, etc. They SHOULD have so much money because they SPEND so much money too! this ISN'T a cracker factory, this is a HUGE company... there is a difference! and in case you haven't noticed, the smaller companies are going bankrupt because they can't afford it all anymore

no, I must have expressed myself wrong there. An obese person can travel as far and as much as he wants. but if he needs two seats he simply pays two seats OR if he doesn't want that, he should lose weight so he can sit in one.

Ushgarak
No he shouldn't. Sorry, economics at the price of discrimination is wrong, and market regulation exists to eliminate it. It is also fatuous to imagine that making such concessions will significantly damage their profit margin.

The only obligation on the overweight person, as noted above, is to let the company KNOW so they can have the appropriate measures ready.

Nazgulinthedark
I think people who are fat just because they eat too much and don't exercise any should have to pay for the amout of seats they take up and tell the airline in advance so that some oen doesnt have to wait for the next flight.
But, I think that people who have a health problem where being fat isnt someting they can help, I think they should tell the airline before hand, and bring a doctors notice to the gate, but not be charged extra.

Darth Surgent
Ush is correct (as usual).

And Naz, how will we determine who is overweight by choice or through genetics? Will we do extensive genetic testing at the airport lobby.? 'Cause a "doctor's notice" ain't gonna happen...

yerssot
Naz, from what I understand of the first post is that if he simply told the aircompany he was obese and that he probably couldn't fit in one, they would have given him either two chairs or one big one and only charge him for one... but he didn't...
so, if that happens (that you don't warn the company so they can take precautions) than why NOT pay for 2 seats if you take 2 with your figure? they lose a paying costumer on that flight thanks to him

Nazgulinthedark
well, if they dont have a doctors notice, charge them for 2 seats

Nazgulinthedark
i only said to call the airline in advance so that there wouldnt be a person waiting for the next flight because an obese person took their chair.
but yes, them paying for 2 seats would work just as well, i just didnt think of it.

Reborn Again
Well, speaking from an obese view, if you need two seats you should have to pay extra. Luckily I'm not at that point.

yerssot
but I thought the first post said that if you do call in advance all is ok and you get only charged for one seat? messed

Nazgulinthedark
i think i should just talk out the "call in advance" part, cause it makes more sence without it messed im actaully confusing myself with my post

yerssot
you're confused? what about me? sad

Nazgulinthedark
sorry yerss cry

yerssot
I'll get a map to found us back no expression

Reborn Again
I don't think a map will help. We're in Cosmo Karmer territory here.

MC Mike
Yes it is. no expression They ate more, they weigh more.

PVS
some folks are genetically predisposed to being fat.
its not an issue of persecuting people who cant help the way they are.

i pondered this, and ush brings up a point with handicap access, but there is a problem.

in america, the obesity rate is out of control. many people are getting fat from overeating and laziness. the point? the point is at the rate we are going skinny people will be a minority in the US. what should we do about this? NOTHING. its up to an individual to take care of themselves. but i dont think overweight people are the real issue here.

perhaps, as i stated before, the solution is to 'supersize' ALL airline seats. coach sucks ass.
im 5'8" and pretty narrow, and yet even i feel quite cramped in a coach seat.

perhaps the real culprit is the airlines, cramming too many people in one plane for the sake of profit. give me a seat where my knees dont get repeatedly slammed when the little kid in front of my cant keep still.
give me a seat where i can have my OWN goddamn armrests without having to pay through the nose for first class.

we are ALL getting screwed here.

mc pee pants
yes, they should be charged extra. i am not to keen on half a fat @ss sitting on my lap. i don't wanna sound rude, but don't they want to be comfy too? maybe they should have a big and tall section in the plane or something... like two seats made into one.

sonofasaiyan
Yea, it would be cheaper than having to refurbish fleets of airplanes.

silver_tears
No, they shouldn't pay for two, say you have kids and can seat them comfortably in one seat, should you only pay for one?

powerfulone1987
I think they should be charged for the 2 seats. It does seem kind of wrong and sad, because the 2 seats are required for them to sit in, like one seat is required for regular sized people to sit in, but I guess it's fair.

Corran

yerssot
but then some have to pay more cause of their weight and even more if they bring luggage...

Corran
Yes.

yerssot
well whatcha know ... I did some logical thinking eek!

ladygrim
if the take up the extra space they should pay for it cuz imagene if they didnt take up that space someone else would . so if a 'fat' person only paid for one seat they would be losing out on money...

trouble
i agree yes

Linkalicious
I'm ok with large people paying the same price for tickets as I do....until I'm stuck sitting next to one on the plane.

It sucks when you're stuck by someone so fat, that the side of their body goes over and under the arm rest...sick

PVS
you should get a discount in that situation, since you end up with only 80% of your seating space

finti
so we make a blimp out of obese people then, hooray for progress

ladygrim
smile

lil bitchiness
Maybe have special seats for those people in a plane?

How huge are those people if they have to take two seats blink

Turbo-Cajun
I've seen some pretty big people....

I have a neighbor that.... well, even two seats might be a stretch for him.

pizza

Linkalicious
yah, but if it's between fat with pizza....and skinny without....i'll take fat anyday!

finti
seats for obese people must be in the middle, cause I cant stand tilted flying no stick out tongue

Samurai Guy
If you take up two seats, you must pay for two seats.

ladygrim
we had a teacher at middle school she had to take up 2 seats length wise and re-enforce them

Samurai Guy
I understand that there are some people with eating disorders, but there are diets and such that are available. Put some effort into it.

But there are just some lazy people that eat fast food 8 days a week... and the fact that we must cater to these people angers me.

ladygrim
indeed

GeBuRHa
Right now im doing a project on this topic and personally i agree with PVS, I think fat people should pay for two seats if they are that heavy. Say if 5 people are like 300 lbs. and they go on a plane, first off thats 5 unlucky customers that paied for their flight, and second it slows the plane down and could make the engines do something bad.

debbiejo
They have to buy 2 seats...the airlines make them...

DCLXVI
I am not in anyway obese, (in fact, I'm 213 pounds of pure muscle - the best shape I've ever been in! wink), but this whole thing really bugs me.
It starts to go to far, where it get's to bigotry and prejudice, and may I add, half of the people who have posted in this thread appear to be very young teenagers - so they don't really have as much experience with it and such, and they tend to have a more selfish attitude towards things....*Babbling*

In short, No, I don't think that obese/"fat" people should have to pay double for anything, 'cause that's stupid. It's segregation (sp?) in it's own way, like back in the early-to-mid 1900's, when Negroid Peoples were prejudiced against in the US and in Canada....

bilb
I dont think so. We live in a consumer society. If you take up 2 seats (cosume as it were) you should pay for 2 seats.

Imaginary
Well for obese people there's always First and Business class, which have larger seats and more room, but then if they don't want to pay extra (I'm pretty damn sure one First class ticket costs less than two Economy) they SHOULD pay for two seats if that's the amount of space they need.

Adam_PoE
If a commercial plane seats 100 passengers, the airline should be able to sell 100 tickets per flight. For this reason, someone who occupies more than one seat should, at the very least, be obligated to notify the airline when purchasing his ticket so that they do not over-book the flight.

Cosmic_Beings
Nah, let them suffer in their fat glee.

DarkCrawler
Yeah, they need to pay for two seats.

Lydia_J
They should definietly pay for two seats otherwise the airport firm is losing out cos someone cannot stop eating

Jackie Malfoy
No way that would be so unfair to them.JM mad

bilb
Well why is it fair that I should pay fullprice for one seat while this other person in effect gets a 2 for 1 discount? People are obese for sorts of reason, some are thier fault and some are not. Irregardless of WHY they are overweight they are still taking up more space. You pay for what you use, simple as that. And an airplane is by no means the only form of transportation available. Even going overseaes one can take a boat. Therefore you CHOOSE to fly. And if you choose to fly and take up 2 spaces you PAY for 2 spaces..

Ignite
Poor fat bastards...

jaden101
listen to all the fat nazi's in here eh?

what would happen if i said that i didnt want to sit next to a ****** or a kyke... and that if i was sitted next to one i would want a refund

isnt that the same prejudice?

some people cant help being overweight...but some of them can...but they shouldnt be made to pay more because of it

apparently obesity is ever increasing in the US...shouldnt buisnesses be thinking about catering for these people knowing full well that there numbers are increasing

i myself struggled with my weight for years...but ive lost about 70-80 lbs in the last 8 months and have built a bit of muscle as well and so am beginning to look pretty good...do i now turn around and harass fat people...hell no...

yerssot
jaden, if they CAN help that they are overweight, they shouldn't nag in the first place that they have to pay double. If they don't like it, they have to exercise so that next time they only take up 1 spot.

Those that can't help it, are having a hard time as it is already without those lazy bums ruining the "general idea" about obese people.

jaden101
if you want to levvy a tex on fat people that'll actually help them rather than piling on further ridicule (like telling someone they are required to buy to tickets cause their ass wont fit into one) then tax the food companies who churn out food that is laden with fat and sugars

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by jaden101
listen to all the fat nazi's in here eh?

what would happen if i said that i didnt want to sit next to a ****** or a kyke... and that if i was sitted next to one i would want a refund

isnt that the same prejudice?

There is a difference between not wanting to sit next to someone and not wanting to share a seat with someone.

jaden101
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
There is a difference between not wanting to sit next to someone and not wanting to share a seat with someone.

ok then...what about if you got seated next to a retard or someone with autism and they were waving there hands in "your space"...would you demand that they paid more...

yerssot
... then tax the food companies who churn out food that is laden with fat and sugars
and that coming from a highlander ... I thought this bull was only said by americans stick out tongue

ah come on... that's like suing Starbucks for selling hot coffee. If you screw up your health by eating McDonalds every two days or something like that, it is entirely YOUR fault, not theirs. I believe every person has the basic intelligence to know that greasy food is greasy ergo making you fat

jaden101
im not really talking about mcdonalds or even fast food in particular

generally people are more reliant on processed foods due to time constraints on their lives

is it so much to ask that the food companies avoid the overuse of salt and sugars to compensate for tasteless food and instead rely on a healthier may of making their products

in an ideal world people would have time to prepare additive free meals...but some people dont have that time

food companies are making huge profits y selling cheap garbage that is disguised with fat,sugar, salt and synthetic colourings and flavourings...it is so much to ask that the companies be either made to make healthier products that cost them...but not the consumer more...or if they want to continue selling that crap that they be taxed more and the money generated , put into other ways of promoting public health

GeBuRHa
Peopel are saying that its not thier fault that their obese, but it sorta is ( sorry for all you non-believers... im just telling the truth). People can controll what they eat. If they get fat? well guess what get lyposuckstion or go on a diet and work out. Dont me lazy... MAKE THEM PAY FOR 2 SEATS UNTIL THEY GET INTO SHAPE! Happy Dance ( work it ) or call santa for a bowflex extreme.

dave123
Obviously the "average" people should not suffer as a result of the overweight individual... then again, the overweight person should not have to pay more for the same service as everyone else. If he requires a different service, however, then he should have to pay a different price...

GeBuRHa
Well atleast make the seats bigger for the bigger people and dont charge them, but the seats r soo small right now. I get crushed by sum anerexic person in an airplane

AdventChild
overweight people no..... obese people yes.....and not nesscearly charged more but given different services.....

Adam_PoE
ok then...what about if you got seated next to a retard or someone with autism and they were waving there hands in "your space"...would you demand that they paid more...

A mentally impaired person who cannot be confined to one seat should be treated no differently than an obese person who occupies more than one seat; When purchasing a ticket for a mentally impaired person who cannot be confined to one seat, the airline should be notified so that other passengers are not disturbed.

ADarksideJedi
I don't think that is right.Just because a person is overweight does not mean they should pay more then the rest of us.How is that fair?jm

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by ash007
Is it right for someone obese to expect to be accomodated doubly, when they only paid for one wink

No. They should pay more if they're using more.

ADarksideJedi
Why do you think that?jm

§P0oONY
If they need two seats then they should pay for two. The cost of the fuel it takes to transport the smallest amount of weight in a plane is vast so an obese should have to pay for the fuel their fat-self costs to transport. **** this, "how is it any different from transporting a mentally impaired person." bullshit. It's not their fault their "mentally impaired" and it's not costing airline companies for to transport them, there is no similarity between an obese person and one that is mentally impaired.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Why do you think that?jm

Think about it. If something costs something and you use/buy 2 of them, you should have to pay more. If you go to the movie theater and watch 2 movies you should have to pay for both. There's no sense in getting two for the price of one. That's bad for business; the place of business is getting screwed on that deal.

ADarksideJedi
I see what you are saying.JM

xmarksthespot
I don't really see the comparison between someone who is morbidly obese, and has become so of their own free will, and someone who was born with autism. (This is as opposed to those born with defective leptin gene, whom are predisposed to obesity. However in those cases it is still only mitigating, it does not wave their responsibility in their choice of lifestyle.)

If a person eats unhealthy food and engages in a sedentary lifestyle, and as a result becomes morbidly obese - so much so that they occupy the space of two seats on an airliner - it's only logical that they be charged for those two seats.

BobbyD
Originally posted by ash007
Ok to today i was watching this Airport documentary and one of the passengers was extremely obese, and he required two seats. He apparently had made no mention of his size when he bought the ticket.
As it turned out, the crew had to offer someone a free voucher if they
would wait for another flight.

Fat people should pay double. ...this does not mean they're bad people. Perhaps, it will hurt them when they see their precious money being spent on a seat to accommodate their wide booty, and opposed to their eating habits.erm

botankus
Originally posted by BobbyD
Fat people should pay double. ...this does not mean they're bad people. Perhaps, it will hurt them when they see their precious money being spent on a seat to accommodate their wide booty, and opposed to their eating habits.erm

Everybody pays the same at Golden Corral. Fat people are just smarter shoppers.

Adam_PoE
Why isn't this a poll?

FeceMan
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I see what you are saying.JM
She's activated her logically-oriented algorithms! Run for the hills; the beast is awakened!

§P0oONY
Originally posted by FeceMan
She's activated her logically-oriented algorithms! Run for the hills; the beast is awakened!

I wouldn't go that far, I believe this is her way of admitting defeat.

Capt_Fantastic

no, I'd demand they were moved. Or I'd demand I was moved. Preferably to seat with no retards or midgets. Midgets freak me out. They bother me in a way I can't really explain. However, I'd agree that midgets deserve to be treated as equal citizens of this country. And by "this country" I mean America. I don't expect myself to suddenly accept midgets. I just expect that i don't have to get in to a conversation with one that wants to tell me about his upcoming role in a star wars movie or in a remake of the wizard of oz. Sorry. Midgets make me uncomfortable...as do the retarded.

Lord Urizen
If you do it that way...it should go all ways.

Here's the chart:

1) Fat people pay the full amount of what they take up

2) Annorexics or really skinny people should only pay half or have the seat for free.

3) Bulimics should only be eligible for toilet seats.

4) Muscular people should be required to remove thier clothes if they want to sit on the seat droolio

5) Old people should get a senior discount

6) Pregnant women should pay double

7) Twins should pay two for one....especially if thier Siamese.

Kayne Archeron
it seems unfair, but at least people would be inspired to actually go to the gym every now and then so they don't have to pay extra

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.