Bad News.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sonofasaiyan
Please tell me this isn't true, I'm concerned and I'm not even American.

Here's something you probably don't know, and if you do, please spread the word- Bush has recently spent $28 million to REINSTITUTE THE DRAFT by SPRING OF 2005-that includes all men and women in the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 26. This man has no regard for civil liberties and has set out on this terrorist witch hunt to distract attention from the economy, foreign relations snafus, and most recently, plans to bring back the Draft.

Source: UrbanDictionary.com

Reborn Again
I'm proud to be a Canadian.

PVS
i dont think thats a reliable source.
not that i would ever doubt bush doing this,
but not before election. no way. no how.

Linkalicious
i hear that the US government spends exactly $28 million dollars every year to help fund our governments military. I heard that the same $28 million dollar figure has been there for the past ummm...i think it was like 3 years.

Get WindDancer in here, i think he posted a link to discredit this arguement.

sonofasaiyan
I want him to.

finti
comming from a country that has a draft I dont have any thing against it

sonofasaiyan
How old are you finti?

finti
how come?
Ive done my tour of duty for my country and was included in the standing mobilisation forces after my mandatory service.

sonofasaiyan
Wow. That's kool.

finti
by hte way I am 36

Tex
I wouldn't mind getting drafted into the Norwegian army! zorro

Darth Revan
I don't know about him spending a lot of money on it, though I wouldn't doubt it. I know they're seriously considering it though--a guy I know who owns a bookstore around here has a copy of the draft bill pinned up on his window.

I also doubt he'll do it before the election, but if he does get reelected, we're pretty screwed... Then again, if I'm old enough by the time it happens, I'll just go to jail rather than going.

finti
it takes real men so I guess leaves you out of it Tex eek!

I have been with the standing mobilising force since summer of 1990 when my tour of duty ended.
We have a yearly military exercise and I have all the gear at home so if my neighbour raises some hell he/she will get a taste of my cute little automatic/semi automatic assault rifle evil face evil face smokin'

Turbo-Cajun
I thank the stars that I have my dual citizenship....

lil bitchiness
I dont know about realability, but nothing Bush does suprises me anymore.

Darth Revan
Which other country?

finti
la la landbig grin

Turbo-Cajun
South Africa.

And I've been to UrbanDictionary.com before, the site listed as the source, and I do doubt its accuracy in reporting... however I expect that he will reinstate the draft if re-elected. He wants to invade more countries filled with brown people... and there arent very many people signing up anymore. Even If you support the war in Iraq, you have to admit that if Bush begins another war (which he will) America will need to have more troops. That means that there will either be even more reservists and guard units shipped out, or the draft. Or both.

Linkalicious
If Bush gets re-elected and then tries to invade more countries...the American people will boot him out of office.

It happened to Gray Davis....and I feel it would most certainly work with George Bush.

finti
Yeah but if USA get a draft are you sure you dont have to chose citizenship

Linkalicious
I'm a semi-Bush supporter (views changed on debate big grin ) and even I would protest the re-instating of a draft.

near 45% of our country was against Iraq in the 1st place. I'm sure that number would significantly increase if Bush tried to reinstate though I'm not sure what effect that would have.

Turbo-Cajun
Yeah I probably would.

Anth
I am Canadian. However we have to do something about our military. Its ill-equipped, under-founded and ill-membered. However, if we do adopt conscription - French Canadians will get pissed off again like it was the Boer War all over again.

As a Canadian, I am disappointed that the Liberal Government has starved our Armed Forces. I know we are a peacemaking nation but an army of such nation classification needs a respectful and relatively large armed forces - which we do not have.

As for Bush making conscription legal in the US, when was it not illegal down there? They just do not use it until they need too. The problem with the US Military is its too stretched out. That's the only problem.

furryman
If Bush gets re-elected I'm going to cry no expression

Anth
If Kerry get's elected. Your screwed.

Arachnoidfreak
I hear that.

BackFire
I really doubt the draft will happen, it will cause a huge uproar in this country because a forced draft is the same thing as slavery.

lil bitchiness
You misspelled 'Bush'

BackFire
haha

silvabullet
I guess im screwed then. I'll see you all on tv if I get caught.

finti
hmm and we see it just as a way to be able to maintain a military defence of our country.
We have to have a draft to keep up the number of personell needed to maintain a military defence. Cause thats what military is all about in Norway defence of our country

BackFire
That's fine in your country, that is not the case in America. There are plenty of forces in America and there is no need for a draft in this country.

I really wish America's military was about defense of our country, rather then "liberating" other countries.

KidRock
I am all for a draft.. I plan on joining the army anyway lol

BackFire
How can you be for the draft in this country, a country that DOES NOT need it? You're for sending people to die for a cause they don't believe in? Just because you're going to join the Army doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to.

Most people who are in the military are against the draft, their logic is "I don't want some guy watching my back and responsible for my life unless I KNOW he wants to be there and will give 100%". They say this because they know people who are forced over there will not be giving 100% and are only there because if they aren't there, they will be put in prison.

Samurai Guy
Take the concerns off of his country and nobody can focus on the utter crap that has happened since he became president.

mc pee pants
f*ck that. i'm migrating to switzerland...

Darth Revan
Pff. Screw going off to a foreign country to get shot, I'll take prison time over that any day. Pretty much the only difference between the two is that in prison you usually don't get your leg blown off.

BackFire
Indeed, it's hugely unfortunate that those are the only two options people have when a draft is instituted.

Dr. Strangelove
There are things that go on in prison that's as bad as getting you leg blown off, especially if your in a cell with a guy named Buba.fear

sonofasaiyan
But that is beside the point. It would suck if the draft was brought back. I have American cousins and I don't want them to fight and be killed in war, God forbid a pointless one.

Doohass
I got this from the Selective service website..

Notwithstanding recent stories in the news media and on the Internet, Selective Service is not getting ready to conduct a draft for the U.S. Armed Forces -- either with a special skills or regular draft.

sonofasaiyan
Well I checked out the site and it's a bit more comforting.

Cipher
I just can't see the Bush administration being able to pull this off unless something major happens. The way things are just being pushed ahead regardless of how much support there is bothers me.

Turbo-Cajun
There are a lot of sheep out there... you'd be suprised what a conservative politician can get away with without reprecussions. Are you familiar with Sen. Bill Jankleow from South Dakota and his driving record? There were people out there who knew about that and they didnt do anything till he killed someone.

m!$hA
what is "the draft"? embarrasment

Agent Elrond
a) look at the source. don't sound very credible
b) the militarty doesn't want a draft

the chances of a draft happening are very slim.

finti
mandatory military service

m!$hA
um confused
does that mean war?

finti
no, some countries have a draft cause they dont have manpower enough to supply a military based on volunteers only.
If USA reinstated the draft though it would raise suspicion towards the decision to do so

m!$hA
that still doesnt answer my question though!

finti
so NO isnt a good enough answer to the question "Does that mean war?"

m!$hA
no it isnt mad

i meant my first question sweets erm embarrasment stick out tongue

finti
which again means conscription into the military services.
People from a certain age, 18 and up, will be called up for military service/duty and if you refuse you are sent to jail.

m!$hA
aaah, like in the movie. i cant remember what it's called but its cartoon sort of. um! oh god what is it?

well anyway, i personally think war is horrible schmoll

ladygrim
indeed....

finti
war is indeed horrible but sometimes a necessity

Turbo-Cajun
Not if the US reinstates it so they can invade new countries.

finti
still, war is sometimes needed

m!$hA
but it wouldnt be nessesary if noone did it, would it now!? erm

Cipher
finti, why does Norway have mandatory military service?

Turbo-Cajun
Yes war is sometime neccessary, but I do not trust the current political leadship in the US with a decision like, not after he has demonstrated that he is not capable of interpreting military inteligence and basing his policy off of the inteligence that actually exists rather than creating intelligence that he would like to hear. The US does not need to begin anymore wars right now unless it is of critical imprortance, again not trusting them again with a disicion like that again. I think that it is likely that Bush will attack more nations pre-emptively if reelected, as i do not support this policy, I refuse to put my life out on the line to accoplish the conservative political agenda.

m!$hA
but the thing is that if we had no war ... then war wouldnt be neccesary would it?
the only time war is neccesary is when some stupid country invades yours and decides to kill all the civilians, just because of pms roll eyes (sarcastic)
so if there were no war, it wouldnt be neccesary!

war is the stupidest thing in the whole world roll eyes (sarcastic) i mean seriously, theyre acting like a bunch of little kids when someone stole their lollypop erm

finti
a nice thought, but a impossible reality

m!$hA
you mean "an" impossible reality

and yes, i have many of those roll eyes (sarcastic) if only people were more civilised!

finti
I stand corrected big grin

m!$hA
by me smart

finti
good going aussie.

m!$hA
english. the only thing im good at at school smart it comes in handy, correcting my english teacher who i hate droolio

finti
good to know I have a spell checker helping me out here then, an aussie spellie stick out tongue wink

m!$hA
glad to be of service eek!
whenever you need anything, just pm me droolio

finti
evil face he he careful what you say to a 36 year old man eek!

m!$hA
no, no, its alright naughty

mc pee pants
the road to peace is littered with war.

finti
or the other way around

Nazgulinthedark
um, im confused. what draft exactly are you talking about? and you really think urbandictionary.com is a reliable source? blink

Agent Elrond
it sucks, but so true.

Turbo-Cajun
The only possible way that that scenario would play out would be if all sides suffered so much that the people would object to any further action and demanding universal demilitarization. You don't achieve peace by starting wars. You reap what you sow.

Snipes
If the draft does come in, and stupid john howard wins the election saturday. Howard will probarly try to follow suite with his bum buddy sad

i hate howard, he needs to pull his head out of bush's as$ and get back to putting australia first on his prioity list.

p.s. i meant no offence to bush supporters, but i dont think there are many here.

Darth Revan
Sometimes, yes, it is necessary. However, Bush's war is not one of those times... And even if it was necessary, I would be opposed to the draft. The American military is plenty big as it is, unlike some countries which really need a draft to maintain their military (and which use their armies for defense rather than "preemptive war"wink. I wouldn't mind so much if we were like most countries, and didn't go around blowing people up at the mention of the word "WMD" or "terrorist".

Turbo-Cajun
I encourage you to offend bush supporters...

I do it all the time...

Darth Surgent
Cat Stevens is trying to invade America! Reinstate the draft immediately!
Seriously though, the draft is not going to happen:

"Wednesday, October 06, 2004

WASHINGTON - Members of the U.S. House of Representatives called an open season on draft rumors Tuesday, shooting down a proposal to reinstate mandatory military service. The House rejected the bill, 402-2.

The legislation, which was introduced in 2003 by Democrats John Conyers of Detroit and Charlie Rangel of New York, would require young adults between the ages of 18 and 26 to serve in the military or in an alternate government post for two years.

But even the sponsors voted against it. Reps. John Murtha, D-Pa., and Pete Stark, D-Calif., were the only yes votes."

The vote was 402-2.... and it can be difficult to get a single member of the House to change his/her vote. I'd say that the U.S. is going to be safe from the draft for a long time(even if Bush gets re-elected).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.