The cost of peace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
Do you think we can achieve world peace and if so who would enforce it? We would need a one-world government to do it? Should it be America? Peace advocate Donald Wells has said as much. But whatever kind of society we would have, it would not be a free one. We would all be totally enslaved out of necessity. To truly remove all war from this planet, wer would have to eliminate every local culture in the world, not to mention religion. In my personal opinion cultural conflict & religious conflict are the two most common reasons for war!

So everyone would have to be made to conform--forcibly. Which in turn there would be someone who fight against such a system and thus cause fighting and war.

So my question to you is if it is worth it?

Are there other ways in this world to make peace because a lot of people have fought for it but uit has always been out of our reace

Anth
I am sorry to break it to you, ash007. World Peace is impossible to come by, there is no such things. There are thousands of wars going on right now that we do not have a clue about because our media isn't focused on them but the ones of a large scale, like the War on Terror, The War in Afghanistan, The War in Iraq and the Russian ongoing struggle with the Chechyna.

ash007
Yeah but why are we at war??

Is not for peace

Thats what we are fighting for or thats what the politicians say

lil bitchiness
Religion and Culture are the excuses used to start a war, they arent the actual reasons.

Money, greed and power are the reasons.

Power is the one and only thing thats important to people, our whole lives are controled by power.

It is sad to see that there is an attitude as such ''there can be no world peace''

I simply refuse to believe that that is impossible! Why is it impossible? Because you were brought up believing there is no other way? Because you are controled to live in a box where any other alternative to what we have now is impossible.

No way. My professor came up with a quote...and its about us being controled in such way that we are no longer seeking the alternative, but accept the fact that 'war' is something that just happens...a kind of a 'norm' and thats exactly whats happening.

Not only war, but society in general. We are all made to believe that this is how it is...and it shouldnt be in reality.

Samurai Guy
Greed and Power are reasons, but religious beliefs, fear of new and unknown, and simple prejudice and biggotry are others as well.

Because the world will never agree to drop arms. We live in fear of our own shadow in "The Free World!"

In order for world peace to exist, there would have to be a single council of the world, and the world would have to agree on a set of moral and ethical guidelines.

It can never happen, because independance and individuality are to essential to human train of thought.

lil bitchiness
thumb down nope, I totally disagree.

That kind of thought promots ''just roll with it, cos theres nothing that can be done about it'' feel, which is what the problem today is.

People dying all over the world is not something that just happens, and thats the way it is. It simply isnt.
Thinking otherwise is very wrong.

Samurai Guy
Wouldnt be the first time, and probably wont be the last, either.

I am not trying to shut you down. And I do admit that the "hopeless" attitude is very abundant in todays society... however you will never have world peace because there is a LACK OF TRUST in your fellow man. Look at the gun law in the states. The "right to bare arms" is taken to the largest extreams!

The fact of the matter is that human unity and world peace are lovely thoughts, and if you can think of a way to make it happen all the more power to you... but it will not happen. Nobody can trust everyone... no matter how much they try.

In essence... the cost of Peace is

1) Individuality
2) Weapons
3) Independence.

Even if we rid the world of weapons... how would the police operate? The black market could sell weapons. It is not feasible

ash007
Ok let me tell you this there has bound to be other people, politicians who are intrested in peace, but it is yet to happen yet

BackFire
World peace is a pipe dream, no matter how many good people want world peace and are willing to work for it, there will always be one shit head who will try to invade another country or start another genocide out of pure hatred.

It will unfortunately, never happen.

Samurai Guy
Because it is not a feasible ideal at the moment. Perhaps in another hundred years or so when the inevidible WW3 happens and is over will people see the light that weapons are not essential to our existance.

Lord_Andres
If that happens it wont last for long, history has it to repeat it self no matter how hard we try to avoid it

lil bitchiness
Again, its not about trust its about control. The reason people have weapons is so feel in control, NOT because they do not trust each other.

Im not denying the trust issue, but thats hardly the reason why countries/people have weapons.

dean7879
there can never be peace on this planet as long as humans exist...
u know this

mc pee pants
world peace is an illusion. we can never attain it. there are far to many individuals to agree on one thing. my friends have trouble on agreeing where to hang out on a friday night, imagine the trouble we have to deal with regarding global issues, i.e. religion and politics. a forceful implication of ideals to whomever rejects it is war in essence. each and every single one of us has a certain mind set that cannot be "globalized." what you think is acceptable may be offensive to me, and vice versa. picturing the world at peace-- meaning zero war tolerance-- will definitely mean constitutional rights being violate... think equilibrium. no emotions, no rights, no thought, no individualism.

lil bitchiness
And you would want to force ideas on people because....?

For the start, you need to get rid of the greedy money hungry, wealthy vampires, who keep sucking out of the poor!

Then how about stopping the Arican debt? Ah, no, thats not gonna happen, because as long as Africa pays America the debt, USA has the power over it.

But you know, you're all right to some extent. World peace can never happen, as long as there is a great majority of people, thinking the way you all do.

mc pee pants
well, for peace to happen people need to start agreeing on sh!t. to co-exist without having the urge to pop a cap in somebody's temple every five minutes. as long as there is religions, money, arms, greed... it can never happen.

and the for the record i meant ideals, not ideas... did you make typo?

lil bitchiness
I didnt even notice i did...
Anyway, the reason people cannot agree on shit is because there is this capitalist shite all over the world.

How can you possible agree on anything when you have people with more things than you and therefore more power over you?

We could have a world peace...sure we could, its just far too much effort and loss of profit for people to bother.

mc pee pants
exactly. if we eliminate the rich pompouos bastards that profit from war, the sleazy politicians who has no reason for starting one other than personal sh!t *coughbushandcheneycough* we might have a chance. but seeing that these assh*les are not giving anything up, it is safe to say that world peace is f*cked beyond all recognition.

TrAnCeDuO
i couldnt agree more.smile id rather die before i gave those things up.i see no one in this thread has seen the movie"equilibrium"

darkcrown
If we were a world government, what type of government would we be?
(Examples: Democracy, Theocracy, Tyranny, Ectopia, Anarchy?)

Just a question. no expression

dean7879
there very well might be a one world goverment soon
seriously

TrAnCeDuO
okay... huh

mc pee pants
communist

Turbo-Cajun
War is Peace

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Orwell's 1984, a negative utopia where it is necessary to maintain a constant state of war in order to drain the available resources away from improving the daily life of the "common man." By using technology to design things like cruise missiles, aircraft carriers, and botulism toxins you are using time, man power, and laboratory resources that could have been used to build hospitals, elementary schools, and curing cancer. By maintaining the status quo of economic inequality you create a society which by draining the resources through fighting wars that are unable to be won(ie: The Cold war was militarily impossible to win, the best that could be accomplished was Mutually Assured Destruction, or the war on Drugs) you keep the poor too occupied with building tanks and designing missiles that they do not work to improve their class status, which would threaten the position of the ruling elites. This redundancy, this planned obsolescence of technology is essential to maintaining the current power structure. .The war then is not just actually fighting but rather the consuming of resources to maintain the status quo, meaning that if those resources are consumed either by actual war or through peaceful use of these technology and resources it does not matter, because the poor are still poor and the ruling class is still in control. Continual war or continual peace must drain the manufacturing and technological resources away from improving everyday life for working people in order for society to function.

While this is not exactly what I believe, I believe that Orwell brings up substantive issues regaurding a continual peace. While hiring scientists to build bombs does not necessarily equal less scientists available to find a vaccine for Aids, there are many instances where instead of working towards a better standard of living, we find ourselves working towards a more convenient, one-time-use, trow away kind of fast paced standard of living where it is okay to buy and use plastic eating utensils that you use only once and then throw into a landfill, or to spend many billions of dollars of money to arm to the teeth with high power nuclear weaponry that in all probability will never be used in an all out nuclear war situation, a billion dollars a piece for nuclear missile submarines which become obsolete every decade or two, which then become worthless and are scraped. While things don't work exactly as predicted in 1984, there are similarities between what really is and what was written by Orwell.

So if the hypotheses of Orwell are correct that means that if our goal is continual peace, there will still be mindless wastes of time that maintain the status quo despite lack of conflict (ie: video games, American children ages 8-18 on average view almost 3 hours of television daily).

But if the goal is to provide a continual peace in hopes of moving beyond things like suffering and struggle it will be necessary to evaluate the motives of the leaders of men and determine whether or not their interests are in ending conflict for all time, or are they simply taking actions that maintain the current trend of the poor getting even poorer and the rich getting richer. If our goal is to reach a lasting peace while improving our personal standards of living and improving our status as an economic class in terms of political power and economic strength, reducing inequality between all people, I think that as people searching for peace you should examine the basic idea that inequality breads conflict. If worker number 1 works hard and put real effort into his work, and he ends up with barely enough to make ends meet there will always be some kind of barrier between him and the CEO number 1 who also works hard, but lives in a larger house, drives a better car, gets better health care, attends better schools, and lives a better, more comfortable lifestyle. That is why CEO number 1's car gets stolen by worker number 1, and Worker number 1's kid gets his brand new tennis shoes stolen by Worker number 2's kid. I don't know if you guys are understanding me here but I think that I am making sense here. In order to achieve a lasting world peace you first need to solve the problem of inequality. In order to achieve economic equality there needs to be a world-wide examination of political and economic leadership. While a world wide revolution and upheaval of the existing power structure is unlikely, it is important to view actions by governing bodies and call them out when they do wrong. We live in an age of corporate irresponsibility and our rights as citizens of a country mean less to politicians than the campaign contribution checks that are handed out by the industry and business. In order to achieve peace we need to achieve equality as humans, and in order to live in a society where all men are equal and have equal rights, we need to change the way we live and the way in which we organize society and government.

I promise that i will never write a response this long again.

Ever.

Yours Truely,

Turbo-Cajun

Creechuur
Boooring! Youre boring me. Stop boring me!

Peace is boring, and you all know it. Humans (as a species) thrive on competition, mistrust, and war.

...and coffee.

...and Jamba Juice.

BackFire
Actually, war time is boring, it's all they ever talk about on TV and the radio, and it creates all sorts of boring political arguments that go nowhere.

dean7879
yep true

Mr Zero
War exists to keep weapons manufacturers in business. Where do you think these conflicts get arms from?

3 million people have died in the war in the Congo* since 1998. 3 million dead in the last 6 years - and where did all the ammo come from? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't Iraq.

The only thing thats going to produce world peace is time. Gradually the worlds population is getting smarter and better informed. Sooner or later we will have bred out the strain of morons who pick up arms and kill for money in the employ of the government. Finally if we make it that far we will elect governments that know if they want to stay in "power" they will avoid armed conflict.

It's nothing to do with policing peace or one world government - the vast majority of people on this mudball hate war. Its only a matter of time before the thought that we peace loving clean-living non-profit making no-agenda gender neutral beatniks OWN this ****ing planet sinks in.

If we all live that long. If not, no great loss.

Samurai Guy
Lil's....

what I was saying was if you ask the average common arms bearer why the have a weapon, they will say "TO PROTECT MYSELF/MY FAMILY." If that is not a lack of trust, I dont know what is.

But... maybe I am wrong.

naybean
Unfortunately i doubt we will ever breed out the "strain of morons who pick up arms and kill for money in the employ of the government" neither do i think we will ever be able to get rid of power crazy leaders because you have to be power crazy to want to be leader in the first place... As long as we have power crazy leaders who want to expand their empires etc. we will have war. If we dont have international war we will have civil war. I agree that time is our biggest chance of world peace. Maybe if there is a massive war that seriously damages several nations in this world it will bring an end to war, but it would have to be a massive catastrophie.

Samurai Guy
I could not DISAGREE more. Have you ever heard of a man by the name of Pierre Elliot Trudeau? The best leader Canada (maybe even the world) has ever seen.

Click here to learn more about P.E.T. laughing PET... n'yuk.

I guarantee there are people who would love to be in polotics that are not necessarily corrupt and "power hungry." There are pure souls, but they are probably scared or just have no self confidence to attempt to gain power. If there isnt, then God have mercy.

Back to the cost of peace issue. I understand what you are saying, Lil's... and I havent be articulating my point well enough, and probably cannot, so I am moving on to another reason I stated previously of why World Peace is a "pipe dream."

We are too uptight about "being different" and having this "identity." Oh, he's American, She's Chinese, they're Jewish, and they're Irish Everyone is stuck in this daze of what they are, rather then seeing that at the root we are all flesh and bone. We cannot see through the nationality/religion/race NONSENSE in order to move forward.

Milla... EVERYONE has the deep down desire of World Peace and global unity... but until we look beyond our nations borders and look at the bigger picture, IT WONT HAPPEN!

And you find one goverment figurehead that is willing to do that, and I will eat my hat.

lil bitchiness
When and where and how soon its gonna happen, i dont know, i cant say, but i refuse to believe that it is impossible to happen. Sure its possible...just like many other things are possible, but we cannot see them.

I in minority who sees this the way i do, and until the majority does, we wont have the world peace.

Samurai Guy
Most things are possible. However, conceivable is another story.

dean7879
its impossible to have perfect loving human beings
there can never be world peace
think about it

Mr Zero
You keep putting "think about it" at the end of your posts as if you have said anything that remotely requires thinking about. Next time you say virtually nothing and are tempted to type that, think about it.

Mr Zero
I dont mean to get OT, but conceivable is far far simpler than possible, so dont know quite what your point is.

Creechuur
Think about it.

Just think about it, thats all I'm saying.

Samurai Guy
Im going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. That is simply because my statement was incomplete when I posted it. For that, I am truly sorry. (Damn I am so apologetic)

Conceivable at the present moment in time is what was intended.

Turbo-Cajun
How can you ask someone of Indigenous or American or a Saudi or African world view to not identify with who they are culturally? would you be prepared to give up your culture willingly or would you perfer to retain your cultural and ethnic identity? I believe that it is possible, albeit not probable that one day people can be different than one another and truely accept that. Respect is what it boils down to. If you respect other peoples beliefs and you respect to other cultures and you do not try to spread your beliefs or force them down peoples throats or try preach your religion to people who don't want to hear it, if you can get beyond the fact that we are all different than one another and that we do think differently about things and that we do no always have things in common, but being wise enough to be able to live with one another instead of attempting reach some global culture where people do no express anything that resembles ethnic or cultural identity.

amity75
War is a business. It creates jobs and money so we're always gonna have them.

TrAnCeDuO
thats hardly a justifying reason

amity75
It's not justifying to us but it's certainly justifying to the worlds governments.

Samurai Guy
In response to that I ask you one thing....

Look at the bigger picture... WHERE ARE WE ALL FROM?

I'll give you a hint:

Big blue and Green ball in space. wink

Turbo-Cajun
Of course, but people aren't going to give up who they are culturally willingly. I know many people who are very proud of their herritage and plan on teaching it to their children in a way that makes them proud enough of who they are to teach their children one day. These people will not give up their cultural identity voluntarily.... would you suggest that this can some how accomplished by force? No one will adapt to some common culture. The only way is to keep our own culture and beliefs, but don't shoove them down people's throats.

dean7879
and u keep trying to sound intelligent..u aint
think about it

Turbo-Cajun
Okay, thats easy really...

We are all from different cultural, ethnic, a national heritages with individual views of the world that do not always agree with one another. These individual wolrd views make the world a diverse and colorful place to live. I would not want a world that has no diversity. If we can appreciate diversity and difference without killing one another, that is the key to achieving peace.

Samurai Guy
I am not saying No Diversity and no regards to Cultural backgrounds, ethics, views or morality... I am saying Look PAST those differences and look at the bigger picture... HUMAN PROGRESS.

Turbo-Cajun
Human Progress is a fairly generic term, would please give us your definition of what that involves as far as what needs to be changed in order to achieve peaceful coexistence.

Samurai Guy
Okay....

what I am trying to get at is that most nations are wrapped up in trying to make their Country or whatever "A great place to live." Can we not make every country a great place to live? A place where we look past race, ethnicity, religion, etc, and just get along?

I mean stop focussing on what is best for your country and look at what is best for the world? For all of humanity.

Turbo-Cajun
Okay maybe I was missinterpretting what you were saying earlier, but when you say things like

It sounded like you believe that that needs to be tossed out before we can move forward. I agree that there are beliefs out there that are incompatable with world peace. Any religious or cultural view that claims to have an absolute control on religous truth is a threat to cultural understanding and coexistence among a diverse world population. The key is respect for others beleifs despite whatever you personally beleive.

I don't see that happening any time soon. Individually perhaps, I try my hardest to get along with everyone, but it is not exactly a realistic goal that everyone can achieve world wide in my life time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.