How Did You Get Into Horror Films??....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zombieman
Was it a particular movie, series of movies, the work a certain director or a friend that got you into horror films?

For me I'll say it was my old man who got me into them in the mid 80s. My dad was always a horror fan and used to look after me every Saturday, he was one hell of an irresponsible parent so he used to rent a whole batch of horror for me to watch. Been into horror ever since.

BackFire
After experiencing TCM it made me want to go out and see if I could find other films that affected me in a similar manner. Thus, my crusade to hunt down the best horror films the genre had to offer begun.

Lord_Andres
for me it was Jaws! the music, everything, perfect!

SlipknoT
I think I watched a Friday the 13th movie when I was young and that got me into them.

Dario Argento
Since the first time I saw The Shining horror has been one of my favorite genres.

Pandemoniac
I always was a fan of movies, it began with the common action-flicks when I was young. My fascination for movies did keep me studying TV-guides for anything interesting. Then, on some day (age like 11 or something), I came along the brief introduction of Friday the 13th, which was showed that night. I just had to check it out! Scared my butt off, but I liked the feel! Not much later I first saw Jaws and I was hooked for life. Since then any nice horrormovie get my recorder buzzing, and I am a frequent flier at the video rental. Still there is so much I need to see yet...

Jennifer_Tilly
Well I have watched horror movies since I was little lol! I watched Jaws and Chucky the most though but when I got older I really got into Horror movies when I started watching the Halloween movies thats what got me into horror.

slasherpunk18
Well,when I was 11,I saw my first horror movie "Puppet master 2".I love those movies.I didn't watch any horror movies besides them until i was 16 when i saw nightmare on Elm Street for the first time.I thought it was pretty good.
But then,when i turned 17,i saw Halloween 4 and then i was intrigued and in a matter of 5 months,I have seen over a 100 horror movies.

Evil Dead
started watching them 20 years ago with my mom. Alot of movies on network television (which was alot back then...NBC would play the hell out of Friday the 13th and other big name films). Since they were edited for tv my mom didn't have a problem with me watching them with her. When she saw that I had no problems with the content on tv and that I really liked the genre, she would let me watch her horror movie rentals with her.

when I got older and was allowed to pick my own video rentals (around 10-11) I always chose horror. I was already hooked. If the pic on the box intrigued me, I rented it.......which resulted in me seeing an assload of crappy, forgetable 70's B-films. I'm still like that today...to a certain extent. With the internet I can actually find out about movies beforehand and actually seek certain titles out.

Kids have it so good today. Blockbuster and Hollywood video rent almost exclusively big name horror films. If they have it...somebody, somewhere liked the movie and it made some money....even if it is complete nonsense like Wrong Turn.

pr1983
i watched hellraiser when i was like 7, same with nightmare on elm street, been watchin horror since then

MildPossession
The first horror film I can remember watching which really got me interested in horror was Nightmare on Elm Street. Went to a friends sleep over for her birthday and she got her parents to rent out a load of horror films, and NOES was one that I loved. I kept looking behind me after watching it since I was the one nearest the door...

Horror was a film genre which was the only type of film I would watch when I was younger, but then I moved onto everything in the film world when I was older. So have horror to thank for getting my obsessed in film overall.

WindDancer
Horror for me was my first genre in movies. I watched some old vampire movies when I was 11. I got interested in horror because of vampires movies. But then I kinda broke away and got into Old school Martial Arts and Spaghetti Westerns movies. It wasn't till I saw Hellraiser that I became a fan of horror again. I never was much into Freddy or Jason, but Pinhead just got me back into the horror genre. I was enjoying horror movies again and ever since then I been digging through the old horror of the late 70's movies. During my searchs I found the Italian horror films and those films really got me more into horror. The gore and the cheese dialogues just got me hype and even today I still looking hoping to find some more of those movies. I just love them.

I see myself as a regular not a hardcore fan of horror. I've expanded my collection these past 2 years and is not very big (As mention before I'm a huge fan of other genres) but I think is decent for an average fan. There are things about horror that I understand and there are things I don't understand. I like to keep myself updated on whats new, but I just sometimes don't keep track all the time. Anyways, the first horror film I saw was a TV movie call Salem's Lot. But the film that got me into the genre was Hellraiser.

Dario Argento
I remember watching Salem's Lot when I was little too. I'll never forget the scene with the vampire scratching on the window.

slasherpunk18
Yeah,my mom is probably the reason I got into horror in the first place.We're both horror freaks.

thegreatrudini
Ive allways been a movie freak but what got me into horror was my mum. She used to tape all the hammer horror films (which are great) dont know if u guys in the states watch em, And the universal frankenstein films. Me and my bro used to sneak down early and watch em befor she woke up i was only 6 or 7 then been hooked since. Now i have every universal & hammer frankenstein film plus any others i find. There class

eggmayo
i think my dad let me watch aliens... but i cant remember where i went from there

HockeyHorror
was about 4 years old when i watched Leprechaun...scared the shit out of me, but i loved it laughing out loud

L49_JoaquinLovr
I dont know exactly how I got interested in horror movies, I was introduced to them at a young age and as I can remember my very first movie of that sort was 'Fire in the sky' and a movie like that is piercing on a child, my mother said it scared me. But its cool now. I was basically made a 'non-girlish' person and everything. Most of my friends refuse to see a horror movie in theaters with me, and if they do they hide their eyes...me? Im the first one to see it, I enjoy the show.

R0B
Ever since I wastched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacer. That movie kicks ass, and is still one of my favorite movies. That movie got me addicted to horror movies so there

kirstyw14
I probably just saw one because I was interested in what they would be like, and now we have girly sleepovers starting with a horror or a thriller, and then a chick flick after to stop us being grossed out or scared!

kanis
alien The first horror movie i ever watched was the nightmare on elm street films, then after that i just coulden't stop watching them, my favorite type of movies now is zombie movies.

dean7879
exactly like me

Joker1237
Fridday the 13th part 3 was the first horror movie I saw.

So Jason has his little spcieal place in my horror movie heart lol/ Jason is cool.

Impediment
Don't laugh, but when I was 5 years old I was a Michael Jackson fan. The first time I saw the mini-movie/video for "Thriller" it scared the living shit out of me. C'mon, I was 5 years old for christ's sake. After that I, for some reason, began to watch movies like Night of the Living Dead, Evil Dead 2, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and so on, and so on. Every new movie I watched I would lay in bed at night cowering under the covers and crying for mama, but I couldnt NOT watch horror movies. Its like a canker sore in your mouth that you can't stop rubbing with your tongue even though it hurts like a sonofabitch. Then I progressed into movies like TCM, The Shining, The Changeling and others. The rest is history.

papabeard
I just used to get so scared, and I liked it love

p_s_luvit1989
Well, for me it started thanks to my dad, my Uncle and my aunt. I was 4 years old and they were watching "Tales From The Crypt." I still remember what episode it was. After that I worked my way into Chucky, TCM, Friday the 13th and so on and so forth until I became like, obsessed or something. I have to give the credit to the writers from "Tales From the Crypt" though, they're the ones that got me addicted.

Wolfie
My dad loves all the old B movies and watches them a lot. On occasion, I would watch movies like Motel Hell and NOTLD with him. Back then, the only horror I would call a favorite was AOD.

It wasn't until my late teens, after catching the first ANOES, that the genre really sparked with me. A friend of mine owned the whole ANOES series and I would borrow them two at a time. I then expanded into other series and caught well-known classics and became hooked.

gls
my mom made me watch horror movies with her when i was younger (like 4) (she loves them too) so after a while i started to like them too.
i think friday the 13th and Child's play were some of the first i've seen

Blue_Butterfly
Well the one movie that really scared the shit out of me but made me enjoy being scared was IT. To this day that movie still scares me. I could watch it over and over again and that SOB would still scare me. Other movies that made me enjoy horror ALOT were Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, Friday The 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.

deathbycorn
The first time I saw a horror movie was when I about 8. We were at a family friends house, their kids were about 16 at the time and were watching NOES 2 so I sat down and started watching it. It was up to the part where the guy kills the gym teacher in the shower and he sees that he has freddys hand! Then the family friend walked in and said don't watch that with him! So they turned it off...

But then when I was around 11-12 in 6th grade my friend told me to come over to his house and watch Candyman and Children of the Corn with him. That is when it began.

I started watching Stephen King horrors first like It, Sometimes They Come Back, Pet Semetary etc.
But when I was in about 7-8th grade I started hiring all the TCM's, COTC's, NOES's, Friday's and just about every good looking horror movie that was on the video shelf and still do!

Jaws and Alien were on tv when I was heaps young!

I remember Friday The 13th Part 6 being on tv and The Night Flyer haha

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.