Donnie Darko Director's Cut

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

<<Solo>>
Anybody have any idea when this is coming out on DVD? I've looked everywhere but still no clue, it's been out of theatres too.

Wolfie
I saw it in theaters. I liked it better than the original. There are a couple things I would've done different but it was very good.

VideoETA.com usually has EVERY DVD release date listed while they're still in theaters but the Donnie Darko Director's Cut isn't on there.

Mr Zero
I bought it yesterday - so its out in the UK?

<<Solo>>
I'm guessing the director's cut should come out sometime around Halloween, considering the original came out to theatres October 26,2001. And the dvd would probably have a better amount of profit, if the dvd was going to be released around Halloween.

But the original did take around 6 months to come out to dvd,And we've been waiting like 7-8 months.

MildPossession
Yeah the Donnie Darko Director's Cut is out in Britain already, should get it soon because I ordered it.

Mr Zero
Its supergroovy!!! And the "exclusive packaging" lenticular cover is kinda cool. Go UK!

MildPossession
Oooo yes the 3D packaging, I will see when it comes through.

<<Solo>>
Screw you guys.lol.

Elondra
So Mr Zero is it better than the original version?

<<Solo>>
That's what I'm wondering.

forumcrew
i was upset it didnt make the theater rounds more, but im still lookin forward to the dvd

Elondra
My mum said I can't buy the DVD because it's a waste of money miffed:

<<Solo>>
3 words, sucks for you.

Mr Zero
Good question:

I know that Richard Kelly always wanted to use INXS at the beginning for the bike ride - the change should be weird and jarring: its not. It's better.

More scenes with Donnie and his family should drag the film down and make it slower. They dont, it just makes the end more heartrending.

More explanation of the tangent universe theory (for the hard of thinking) is an unnecessary waste - and does intrude slightly - but all in all. HUGE Thumbs up.....

Wolfie
I also liked the extended assembly scene.

Elondra
My best mate is gonna buy it as a Christmas pressiesmile

Unholy_Cheese
They brought the directors cut of donnie out in cinemas??

<<Solo>>
Release Date: February, 15, 2005! Awesome!
2 Disc Set.

Mr Zero
Feb 15th? Is this still not out in the USA?

AHAhahahahhahahah!

And to answer the other Q above - yes the DC had a limited release in the cinema in the UK. Dunno about elsewhere...

<<Solo>>
Yeah it was limited release in the US also.

<<Solo>>
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0002IBJQ4.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Audio Commentaries - 1. Richard Kelly & Kevin Smith (New Commentary)/2. Richard Kelly - Director/ 3. Cast & Crew/Trailers - 1. Original Theatrical Trailer/ 2. TV Spots/B-Roll Footage/Interviews with Cast & Crew/Featurettes - 1. THE PHILOSOPHY OF TIME TRAVEL/ 2. THE MADE ME DO IT: The Making Of The Art Gallery/3. Sundance Channel: Anatomy of a Scene/4. THE CULT OF DONNIE DARKO: UK Featurette/5. Donnie Darko Production Featurette/Music Video - 1. Mad World/Easter Egg: Killing Moon/Website Gallery/Artwork Gallery/UK Art Gallery/Cunning Visions Gallery/Filmographies

Tex
That's weird.
It's already out in the UK but we have to wait another 4 months for the US release? confused

Mr Zero

Tex
I rented the 2001 version, the extended scenes and deleted scenes are the same on the Directors cut only in the actual movie I take it?

Like the prolonged scene in the hotel and the molester in the van bus stop talk! laughing out loud

<<Solo>>
Does the DC also come with the theatrical version?
Oh Yeah and just because I'm wondering, does the DC explain the ending more then the theatrical release?

<<Solo>>
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006GAOBI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Region 1 DVD cover has been released!

Wolfie
Not a very good cover. no

hayden's minx
weeee my friends sent it to me. Multi-Region is ace.
Yeah, if you've never seen it before, i'd watch the original, because the story hits harder, but this is great for fans of the original, it goes into more detail, which loses some of the impact, but is great nevertheless.

Mane
eek!

<<Solo>>
Ah, the director's cut is 4hours and 13 minutes long....mmm...can't wait.

Cinemaddiction
I'm considering re-buying the original release, because even if I were to buy the new D.C., I wouldn't watch it more than once a year I don't believe. It would have been smarter to have included BOTH versions of the film. An indie film turned cult classic, clocking in at TWICE the length of the original, not including said original, will probably hurt sales. "Darko" isn't an epic worthy of a 4 hour runtime, like LOTR.

Mane
Agreed. I don't think it will work. I'm just gonna stick with the original release. erm

Cinemaddiction
Another thing about a D.C. "Darko", what was cut will more than likely be a lot of explanatory filler and background info, which was cut originally to save time, and hold people's interest. I mean...over 2 1/2 hours added onto the original?

Red Superfly
I have the DC cut and it's not THAT long.

I didn't really notice the extended time. It's not LOTR-like additions, just different cuts and little tidbits added here and there.

And, UK gets the better cover! Muahahaha!

My DC Donnie Darko has a cardboard sleeve with a holographic sheet which morphs between the main cover and the bunny mask when you turn it in the light. Uber cool. It's up there with the UK Reservoir Dogs cover for "best DVD cover ever" award.

I didn't know we were getting rewarded for making it a success. I assumed USA already had it before us. Oh well, that's what ya get for passing up good movies for dross like Bad Boys II.

Assassin Q
Was the D.C. any good? I saw the orginal and own that one but I was wondering if the D.C. was worth buying.

Cinemaddiction
..and I was right. The DC is 132 minutes long, the 250+ runtime is reference to the movies and special features combined, not the film. The theatrical was @ 119, the DC, 132.

There you have it. So, I bought the inferior version 2 months before the DC, oh well. Cost me $8, and I'll just resell it.

Wolfie
I would keep both. The theatrical cut isn't inferior, just different. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. I'll be keeping my original when I get the DC.

Machete_Guy
I don't like DC's. The bits have obviously been cut out for a reason. And i especially hate remastering.
Are the remastered bits cheesy?

Solo
8 more days!

Norma Jean
thumb down I'm sticking with the original for reasons of my own.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.