Passion of the Christ...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

neo2
I wonder when this movie is coming out on DVD. I completely loved this film. It moved me as a christian, as a teenager, and as an aspiring director. Has anyone else seen it? Do you think that they'll have an English-dubbed version, because that would just ruin it. You see, subtitles never ruined it for me. Take this for an example, a lot of people didn't like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon . You know why, because they had to read it. Oh boy, anyone else have comments on the films release on DVD?

Chelsea23
I doubt that they will have an English version and it'll probaly be a while before it comes out on DVD or VHS since it basically just came out in theatres, and it will probaly be out for quite a while since they've had alot of sales from it. But I saw this movie and loved it. It was good.

finti
guess it will be released on dvd closer to xmas

Chelsea23
I'd say probaly around then

loserib
i all ready have it on dvd but i have not had a chance to watch it yet not to into religion but my friend said it was very good movie even if your not into that stuff

Chelsea23
How did you get it on DVD? Its not out on DVD or VHS yet

Kes
Bootlegged.Illegal download.Lets not go into that here.

Chelsea23
Oh yea...forgot about that choice.

movie_freak
How come it'll be out around Xmas. I thought it will take around 6 months to come out which will be probably out in Sept

Cinemaddiction
FOX has it slated for a June/July release.

neo2
thanks for that info cinemadiction

Xena fan
I planning to get this one. This is of many movies that has made cry.

Kaleanae
I would like to buy it

loserib
i watched it great movie cant wait to buy the real copie when it comes out
i bought it at the flea market

Punker69
I BOUGHT IT AT A FLEA MARKET TO!They had alot of other illegal dvds there to smile.I really liked this movie.

loserib
yeah i was surprised they had all kind off new movie on dvd there and the copie i got of it is clean

Kes
No talking about that ppl.

Dogbert
I really enjoyed the movie, but was one of those movies I would only see once.

neo2
i saw it 2 times at the theater......it kind of re-charged my christian battery, if u catch my drift....

Xena fan
im very certain that Mel will have tons of extra features. I would enjoy to hear his voice in commentaries option.

babygirl
this is the only movie that really made me cry and i would highly recommend this movie to anyone. When i went there was alot of church groups there and alot tears were shed from every one. You know me and my man has been dating awhile and i have never seen him cry but that movie made him really cry!!!! I will buy it when it comes out!!!!

Xena fan
i had a similar experience like yours when I saw it! I love this film and truely it is one of the greatest films ever. I want the dvd in hands as soon as posible.
smile

robincooper
if get a chance to watch it i will coz i do really like theological films, if theres 1 thing that intrest ma above all its religion from what ive heard about how its hit america, I know i will enjoy this film.

I just hope i dont think to much bout life of brian when i watch it >.< lol

neo2
don't worry u won't.....in fact, you only think about the story while watching it......oh and the subtitles, u get used to them, u get really pulled into the story

robincooper
wow u know i id wathc it and its ok, but i think the zefereli 1 had more feeling in it

neo2
That's where I disagree, I think this had the most feeling. Back to the DVD discussion for this thread: I don't think they'll include anything extra in the movie for the DVD. There was one line cut out beofre initial release because it would be percepted that Mel Gibson was blaming Jewish people for the death of Christ. The line was this(oh, it's in the Bible, by the way)The Jewish people to Pontius Pilate: We are guilty on his blood.

Xena fan
Oh yes! It will help you in your studies. the film is full of details. Im sure youll like it thumb up

cookies2006
ne1 know when it cumz out on dvd? it is wanna the best!needa countdown 4 this......

Punker69
I love illegal dvds I feel so priveleged and excited when I watch them!I cant wait for the real copy of the Passion tho hopefully with good SF smile>

ebarnes
I wen't and watched it with my dadand it was sad but it was a cool movie every person should watch that movie to see what JESUS went through to forgive us from our sin's! yes

leatherface12
I havent seen it yet but I will when it come out on dvd.

A Talking Dog
I pretty sure this will come out around July.
because LoTR Return of the King came out in December and is coming out on DVD in May. So, i expect something like that for Passion. Both are big box office movies.

I really hope their will be extras on the DVD such as a making-of and a commentary by Mr. Gibson and his Director of Photography along with Jim Caviesal {sp}. That would be freakin' amazing.

The Force
i've seen it but i don't know if i'll get it, maybe to witness to somebody but...

wow that movie made me realize alot of things

MovieKiller
This movie rocks!!! I say that it will not come out before June.... after that, only God knows when it will smokin'

sailor_neriede
I wanted so much to see this movie but my parents wouldn't let me because it was rated R! I mean, it's what Jesus had to go through because he loved us that much! Seeing exactly what he had to go through is the least we can do!

Cinemaddiction
Alright, it's official, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ on DVD on 8/31.

<<Solo>>
If I had kids I'd sure let them watch it only because it has religion. But I could see why some parents wouldn't want there kids watching it.Because it is more gorey then you think it is.

Anyways I will buy this.Or receive this as a gift.It was pretty awesome. I think I'd like it more if I was religious.

BushidoX
Hey Neo, I also recommend seeing "Hangman's Curse" its a Frank Peretti Novel Adapted to Movie, aside from Passion it has to be one of the best Christian Movies out there.

***The Way of the Warrior is a Path that is narrow, those who follow shall live by the double edged sword and they shall die by the sword.***

eleveninches
That's my birthday smile eek! Happy Dance eek! smile

eleveninches
/\is that the US (region 1) release, or the Uk (region 2) release??

sfighter17
I loved the movie myself. I heard the movie is being released Aug. 31. I don't think they will dub it in English, because Mel Gibson wanted to keep it as real as possible. But you never know.

BushidoX
I have heard numerous replies about how people would enjoy The Passion more if they were more religious, first I'd like to say Christianity is not about religion its about relationship, its about how God had to send his Son so he could relate to what we as humans have to go through in our day to day lives. Religion is a set rulebook that must be followed to please one's Deity, examples of a religion would be Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, etc. The Passion depicts what His Passion was, to save His people despite how much they hated and despised Him. My second point, if you were in a better relationship with God, The Passion would only serve as a conduit in which to convict you, because it reminds us all of our shortcomings, I cried during the Passion, not because the images were so gruesome but because My Savior had to endure all of that, HAD TO, for me. I appreciate The Passion, however there comes a point in a believer's life where they need to remind themselves everyday of His Passion, of which I fall short of.

Kes
Stick to the DVD please.

WindDancer
I'm not too sure about getting this DVD. The movie was okay, but I don't know whether to get it or not. I might reconsider later on. Right now I ain't too sure about buying it.

BackFire
I don't understand why anyone would buy this movie on DVD. I mean, even if you like it it isn't a movie you would want to watch over and over again.

lil bitchiness
I have to agree with BF, but i think its a more of a ''having it because its ''The Passion of The Christ'' type thing

I certanly couldnt watch it again and again.

Dark Phoenix223
That movie was SOO messed up... It had more gore that like EVERY SINGLE FRIDAY THE 13TH MOVIE COMBINED!!!!!!!!!....Anyway... I liked the directing... although for some reason Mel Gibson has gone INSANE! I myself am far from a religious person, so im not gonna say "It has changed my views on life and god," Because when I left that movie I felt the same way about Christianity as I did when I left... A BIG OVER THE TOP LONG RUNNING FAIRY TALE GONE OUT OF CONTROL!!!

Xena
I going to buy it Backfire. Of course i wont watch it over and over again but is a good interesting film to watch. Besides Mel Gibson fans will get it anyways. Regardless of the religious message.

BackFire
I don't see why anyone would get a movie that they won't watch numerous times. It's illogical.

Xena
big grin

Not numerous times. I'm planing to watch it occasionaly. but Im still going to buy it!

A Talking Dog
the movie is very watchable for almost every occasion. I don't see how it cannot be subject to multiple viewings.

BackFire
Because it isn't entertaining in the least. Even the people who love this movie don't watch it for entertainment purposes. Why would anyone watch it numerous times after they get it?

"well, there's nothing to do this saturday night, I guess I'll watch our lord and savior get beaten and killed again....Honey!! Get the popcorn and soda!"

WindDancer
If it has lots of extras and plenty of easter eggs I might consider buying it. If it doesn't I won't even bother.

SuperHero
I don't think this DVD needs anything but the movie, but, I would enjoy a making-of documentary, because I'd like to see how they made every frame look like a Carrivagio painting.

SuperHero
Also, I'd like to see the arduous task of the crucifixion scene, they said it took five weeks to finish it...

cookies2006
welll obviously god had sumthing to do with this movie..bcuz the poor guy got stuck buy lightning while he was making it, plus several ppl had heart attacks even sum of which died from it...im going to buy it..not neccesarely over n over..but atleast every once ina while juss to give me a glmpse of wat jesus did 4 us..n how much we all take things 4 granted...

botankus
Simple. I can justify if I can find a DVD for $15 or less, because....

I would spend $3.95 to rent it. And because I'm so lazy....
Late Fee #1 = $2.95
Late Fee #2 = $2.95
Gas Cost to take it back to the store = $0.75
Wasting my Time = $1.00

Total comes to $11.60 so I might as well buy it.

Lianslo
This movie wasn't easy to watch...and it isn't the type of movies that you can really say you "enjoyed"...cuz personally, i sat there bawling most of the time. But it was still an amazing movie, it spoke to so many ppl, including myself. But on the same token its not something i wanna watch very often. I think lots of churchs and youth groups might buy it. And use it as a ministry tool. I doubt i'll buy it...even tho i am a christian, and believe that this was a great movie, it took so much out of me to watch it...it was very emotional, and if i do buy it, it would only be for the sake of owning it.

Waggy the Dog
it's the style in which the movie is presented, which lends itself to multiple viewings...for me anyway. The whole dramatic element of it makes it very entertaining. The same goes for movies such as Salo, Henry and probably even a movie such as Fight Club, etc, {and pretty much every war and holocaust movie ever made}

I have never partook in a conversation such as this before. Nor, have I ever seen something like this ever happen.
...what an odd regurgitation of life's dialogue.

............................................... http://www.inflatablewhale.com/gallery/2000/sarcasm.gif

BackFire
Well most people won't have that many late fees. It's not particularly difficult to avoid them.

BackFire
The difference between those movies you mentioned are that they're real movies. The Passion is a glorified snuff film, nothing more. Those movies at least have a story and plot progression, Passion has plot for the first 40 minutes, then repetitive and boring violence. The style of the film was generic, and as I mentioned boring. I really really really can't see why anyone would buy this movie. Unless it's for the extra's or the commentary, but even that would be shitty. "Yeah...this part we show Jesus getting beaten.....and this next scene....we show jesus getting beaten some more....oh, and this next scene we show jesus getting verbally abused....Yeah, now he gets crucified.....hope you enjoyed the commentary for this simplistic snore-fest of a film"

It matters not if you have ever taken part in that conversation, I know people aren't going to say that when watching the film, but that's the basic idea. They're going to watch their lord and savior beaten and abused for 45 boring minutes.

Stormy_Day
To show and understand what he went threw so that the world can have a chance to go to heaven erm

Mr Zero
I'll buy it if it has a directors commentary track in Latin.

And - for all you who hold this up as a moving biblically accurate depiction of Christ suffering.

Why did mighty Mel find it necessary to take so many artistic licenses with both script and story? Lines that bear NO relation to what you can find in the bible and even Satan apearing. That's Mel playing the movie game.

It's well directed and brave film, but it's nonsense to say it's "accurate" - even if you assume the bible is verbatim documentary evidence - this film is not.

As to who would watch it over and over on DVD? I know a few Satanists who will crack open a few brews and chuckle through it again and again.

Stormy_Day
I thought it was accurate but hey I wasnt there when he was crucified so I wouldnt know.I just thought it couldnt have been any worse erm

Waggy the Dog
"The difference between those movies you mentioned are that they're real movies.", "...Those movies at least have a story and plot progression...".

Okay, one sec, I have to read through what I have mentioned here to comment on your "comment".
Alright, I mentioned Salo and Henry: Portrait of a Seriel Killer. I mentioned Fight Club, but now that I think about it, it doesn't really fit into this conversation. But anywho, Henry and Salo. I have to add that along with the movies I have just mentioned Passion is also a "real" movie. They all had to undergo the process of story boards and scripts and production companies.
Second, Plot progression? Plot progression, you say? Aside from the symbolism, cinematography, morale, and underlying message, both films are simply, as you would say, "boring" accounts of "nothingness" {that is my word}. If you have seen it, Salo, is no more or no less, than a capture of some kids, which are then brutalized, raped and murdered. This takes nearly two hours. This is no more boring than the beatings Jesus takes in Passion. And Henry... well, it has less of the essence of the other two movies. Henry also has very little plot, but is rather a character study. But even that is curious, because the character of Henry doesn't really change in the movie nor does his friend Otto. I know that is what the director wanted anyway to show his complete disregard for the need to change which for mainstream audiences would appear scary or something. But, bottom line is that it isn't scary and I don't much care about it. But what I do care about is it's entertainment value, which it indefinitley has. The style and charisma and, dare I say it, shock-value, as well as the one-sidedness of the character make it watchable.

So, when you say movies like that have "Plot Progression" I whole heartedly disagree with you. Albeit they are all {including Passion} excellent movies, they all lead up to nothing. IMDB had the key word of "nihilism" in the Salo Key words. That should tip you off about the story. I think it was the same case with Henry. ACTUALLY, Passion is the only movie which DOES lead up to something if you think about it.

Passion wasn't boring, which is clearly apparent in all the people which it connected to, which I know, in quantity, is more than the people that didn't like it. Passion was a real love/hate thing.

....Or rather, it was no more boring than Irreversible or any other movie I mentioned. I really cannot understand what made this movie boring. I ask everyone that didn't like it, and all they can say is that it was "boring".
It makes no sense and is even somewhat hypocritical in a way.

...and just to stay on topic of the DVD release of Passion, apparently there are no extras and commentary at this moment in time, but that of course, could change. If the DVD came out like that, it would really test the movie's fans.

Stormy_Day
I dont think BF is gonna budge wink

Waggy the Dog
who is BF?

oh, whoops, how stupid of me.

...I just hope his points and his comments on Passion do to him what his name suggests.

wink {right back at you}

Waggy the Dog
"It matters not if you have ever taken part in that conversation, I know people aren't going to say that when watching the film, but that's the basic idea. They're going to watch their lord and savior beaten and abused for 45 boring minutes"

oh, see I thought conversations like that actually take place. Silly, Silly me.

...Imagine a man. Now Imagine a man with an IRON taped to his KNEE. Wouldn't it be cool if he was a superhero? I can just imagine it now, the citizens of New York would see him and say, "Look! Its Iron-Knee!".

BackFire
Well considering it's near impossible to get a copy of Salo for under 200 dollars, I havent' seen it. So I can't comment on anything you mentioned having to do with that film. My comment was aimed at the other films you mentioned (Henry, Fight Club, ect). So I will give a retort having to do with those films.

Henry indeed has more plot progression then Passion. Passion has very decent plot progression for the first 45 minutes, when they actually develop a story of some sort, and character. They actually treat it like a movie, and it shouldn't come to a shock that the first 45 minutes was my favorite part of the movie (along with the flashback scenes, which actually made me care for the character of Jesus christ, because to me he is nothing but a fictional character in a film/story). I was very satisfied with the first 45 minutes.

Then came the meat of the "movie". The long, drawn out, repetitive and redundant torture scenes that nearly put me to sleep. Why was this movie boring? I'll tell you why - because the last 45 minutes of the film is the same basic thing repeated untill the movies end. Jesus getting tortured in some way or another, rather it be verbally or physically. This is not what I call intriguing or unique film. It's repetitve, thus, it's boring to those who have no interest in seeing a man beaten and tortured for 50 minutes. I know alot of people thought it was extremely powerful, but I don't think it will come as a surprise that most of those people are religious and believe that the story of christ was true. To me, and many many of the other people I know who don't believe in christ, it was a repetitve work of fiction. If this movie was as good as christ followers claimed, it would have had a bigger impact on those who didn't believe in christ, it didn't. And that's why the movie is a failure in my eyes. That and I thought it was boring, nearly put me and my friends to sleep when we saw it. Luckily we came home and watched some south park, and that woke us right up.

Anyway, the bottom line is movies like Irreversible, Henry, and Fight Club may have some dramatic elements to them, and may even have aspects similar to the passion, but they also rely on plot and character development to push the film, and they have some kind of satisfying ending. Unlike the passion, which was simply "blah blah blah, jesus was tortured then died for your sins" and tried to basically guilts you into believing his story. Henry may not change during the course of the film, but there is an intriguing and somewhat emotionally satisfying ending. Irreversible ( a far better film then the passion) has some extreme torture and violence, but that is not the meat of the film, it lasts 10 minutes, and the rest of the film makes us care for the characters in the story, ending in a great, emotional finale that puts the one in the passion to shame.

Anyway, I feel I've explained why I think the passion sucks now, but to sum it up, I'll repeat (since so many people who liek the passion just don't listen to reason). The violence was repetitve and redundant, and considering what a huge chunk of the movie was nothing more then violence, tha'ts a biggie, it also had poor development of character and plot, and it had no actual resolution or satisfying ending. It started strong, but ended poorly. Had the film had a few more flashback scenes, as opposed to drawn out torture scenes, it would have been alot better.

Stormy_Day
It may have been repetitive but there is absolutely no way to make it any better if you where trying to show what Jesus Christ went through.I thought more flashbacks would've been nice but otherwise I thought this movie was excellent.Its unique and violent which I love in a film.

Fight Club,is also a excellent movie.It may require a second viewing just to watch it again and realize its all in his headbut otherwise original and very funny smile

BackFire
You're right, there was no way to make it better. THat's why they shouldn't have bothered making it into a feature film. Maybe if it had been a 30 minute made for TV special, it would have been a bit more acceptable. Just because there is no way to make it better doesn't mean the movie is good. It just means they shouldn't have made it into a movie.

Stormy_Day
A 30 min special What the f**k? that has to be the stupidest thing Ive ever heard you say BF.Who knows how much worse (in your eyes)it could've been if it was made into a tv special.

BackFire
At least it wouldn't have been as redundant in that 30 minutes as the 2 hour version was. Plus I only would have wasted 30 minutes on it, rather then 2 hours.....2 hours, I swear The Passion was a 5 hour movie.....it just didn't end.

Stormy_Day
But a 30 min special would just be pointless although you already think the movie was pointless but still for me it would be pointless and stupid.

Mr Zero
You need a region free DVD - its out here in the Uk for 15 quid.

Stormy_Day
How could a dvd cost $200?

Stormy_Day
I just found a copy of " Salo 120 of Sadom Pasolini" on dvd on ebay for $9.99

Lianslo
first off, i completely agree w/ this point.

But in response to what you guys had to say...espeically BF, this is what i've got to say. I think it all depends on how your looking at the Passion. BF, your not a believer, so for you, this movie was simply meant to be entertainment...and its really hard for me to relate to that, cuz this movie was anything but entertainment for me. So...trying to see things from your point of view, I can kind of see why you didn't like it. You didn't relate to the "characters" in a personal way, and saw the violence as pointless, instead of love...but for me, those ppl weren't characters, they were fellow believers that walked the earth before me, and my Savior. When i went to this movie i wasn't looking for entertainment, so character and plot development meant nothing to me, cuz its not a plot, its history, the Word. What i saw was a deeply moving display of love. (perhaps thats why i was in tears most of the time.) It was a visual of my faith, like i had never seen before. So basically what i'm trying to say, is that i think the reason some ppl love it, and some ppl hate it, (even tho i think its a hard movie to love...just cuz its hard to watch...or at least for me.) is cuz some came looking for entertainment, and others came wanting to see the scriptrue they had read many times come to life.

Waggy the Dog
"Well considering it's near impossible to get a copy of Salo for under 200 dollars, I havent' seen it. So I can't comment on anything you mentioned having to do with that film."

All I can say to that is, "have you ever heard of the internet?"

"Then came the meat of the "movie". The long, drawn out, repetitive and redundant torture scenes that nearly put me to sleep. Why was this movie boring? I'll tell you why - because the last 45 minutes of the film is the same basic thing repeated untill the movies end. Jesus getting tortured in some way or another, rather it be verbally or physically. This is not what I call intriguing or unique film. It's repetitve, thus, it's boring to those who have no interest in seeing a man beaten and tortured for 50 minutes. I know alot of people thought it was extremely powerful, but I don't think it will come as a surprise that most of those people are religious and believe that the story of christ was true. To me, and many many of the other people I know who don't believe in christ, it was a repetitve work of fiction."

The whole point of the on-going beating was to show how much pain Jesus would take to prove his message and to do what he was born to do. I don't care if Mel Gibson amped the violence up or meshed some other story elements into the last half of the movie. The point is that it was all appropriate, and second, a movie like this isn't suppose to have a grandeur plot. It is there to convey emotions and convey, simply, one event, which some believe to be the the most important event ever. When you say this movie gets boring, I see it as the opening of Saving Private Ryan. When in theory, the opening of that movie should be boring, but isn't. If you think about it, all it is, is documentary style camera zooms and shakes with people getting shot for 20 or so minutes. People that liked the opening of Saving Private Ryan and said the Passion was boring fall into the whole "hypocritical" aspect that I mentioned last.

"I know alot of people thought it was extremely powerful, but I don't think it will come as a surprise that most of those people are religious and believe that the story of christ was true."

I assure you, I am no Christian. Nor, am I religious in the least. Though, if you think you have to know the whole timeline and back stories to appreciate this movie, then fine, thats your damn business. Movies are, nonetheleast, an art form, and a certain amount of disbelief has to be had for almost any movie to be appreciated. But even, as a movie, it does a better job to relate to something new and better than just a rape and a fire extinguisher beating...or someone eating poo. The characters in Irreversible were a cliche and borderline Pornographic characters. The movie, "Irreversible" along with movies like Cannibal Holocaust etc, have become more of a buzz-word than "movies". Its like if you want to be taken seriously in a conversation about movies or, pretty much, anything, outside of a seedy resteraunt, you just mention these movies to your friends and then discuss for about 20 minutes. I've seen this done with a 15 year old whilst waiting in line for Eternal Sunshine. I felt quite giddy that day as a result of it.

"Anyway, the bottom line is movies like Irreversible, Henry, and Fight Club may have some dramatic elements to them, and may even have aspects similar to the passion, but they also rely on plot and character development to push the film, and they have some kind of satisfying ending. Unlike the passion, which was simply "blah blah blah, jesus was tortured then died for your sins" and tried to basically guilts you into believing his story. Henry may not change during the course of the film, but there is an intriguing and somewhat emotionally satisfying ending. Irreversible ( a far better film then the passion) has some extreme torture and violence, but that is not the meat of the film, it lasts 10 minutes, and the rest of the film makes us care for the characters in the story, ending in a great, emotional finale that puts the one in the passion to shame."

Another aspect of the "hyprcritical comment" I made earlier. The violence in Irreversible was novelty violence. After you get past the shock value, the violence becomes painfully boring. And by, "After you get past the shock value", I mean after the second viewing. But what doesn't get boring is the way they show it. Just like Passion. And like I said, all of the movies mentioned, compared to Passion, Passion has the only real ending. Think about the ending ENDING, right before the credits. Most of the other movies mentioned, have a "circle form" with plot. Whereas, Passion goes somwhere, or a "straight line" form of plot.

You know, all of what you have said and HAS been said, doesn't really have anything to do with the movie of Passion, but rather, is more of a character thing. All of the violence in Passion is done in other movies, but no one seems to complain about those movies. Since the movie is about Jesus Christ, it automatically is a form of Sunday school {some exaggeration, but I assume you understand my point} or something akin to that. As compared to in the magazine, "Time", the same affect was to be had on Fahrenheit 9/11. These two movies, both controversial, but no movies, in the traditional sense of the word. They are there to show somthing that hasn't really been looked at. In terms of both movies, some people got it, and some people didn't.

...{go to Rotten Tomatoes, and read the bad reviews for both movies. Some of them seem like jokes rather than reviews}

BackFire
I saw nothing special about the violence in The Passion. It was pretty average from what I've seen. They had loud, booming music playing in the background to 'enhance' the scene, just like in any hollywood blockbuster. The violence in Irreversible was far more realistic and not nearly as over done.

And I completely disagree that what I said has nothing to do with the movie. Saying something about character development is defintately saying something about the movie. I have no problem with films trying to show "what really happened", however, I do expect to be entertained in some form or another during these films by the normal important aspects of film, character development is one of these aspects, and it was missing from The Passion, and that hurt it deeply.

Waggy the Dog
Uh, okay. I guess we have kind of hit a dead end here. I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me.

All I can say is that, since the narrative structure is limited to the last 12 hours of Christ, there is little time for character development. I'm sure you remember Scorcesse's movie about Jesus, and the whole point of that movie was to show how Christ felt leading up to his execution, but it didn't really change our feelings about it.
Plus, do we really need it? Honestly? The film wouldn't be any better if we see Jesus go through a character arch. It would just be overkill at that point. That is just something people need these days to think that they have seen something worthwhile. Something which changes in front of their eyes.
Read up on it, I think there is only 7 types of story one can write about.

And I agree with you about Irreversible's violence being, more or less, more realistic. But, I don't agree with you over the comment that it wasn't "as nearly" overdone.
Gasper Noe set out to shock the audience. The Rape scene is completley over done, and I'm sure most of us get that rape is terribe in the first 30 seconds, after which, it just gets boring. and the fire extinguisher has Daft Punk blaring in the background. But EVEN on those grounds, the violence in Passion serves much more of a purpose than the violence in Irreversible.

...And just to add about the comment you said about the violence in Passion, "It was pretty average from what I've seen".
I wrote a recent school paper about violence in the media, and I took examples from early and modern war movies, to Hentai, to Holocaust movies back to plain old horror movies, and the violence in Passion, though not creative or as bloody as in other movies, i.e. Irreverisible, is still the most amount of realistic violence ever crammed into a film. The film's sole purpose was to show how violent Jesus' death was. Its almost pornography. It just goes on and on, and no film has ever shown violence in those amounts before. It may not be shocking but it is definitley brutal.

But with that aside, I know for a fact, that this movie has been a definite break-through in life for alot of people, and even though, you find it "boring" it has really helped alot of people. And that falls into the category that I mentioned before, "Some people got it and some people didn't."

BackFire
All I can say is that, since the narrative structure is limited to the last 12 hours of Christ, there is little time for character development."

As I've said before, if the structure and premise of the film doesn't allow them to add the basic, most important elements of film, then they shouldn't have made the movie to begin with. The excuse of "the story doesn't allow...." isn't relevent to me.

And when I said 'average' I meant the way it was presented, with loud, dramatic music playing in the back ground, basic hollywood formula. Had the violence had no music playing in the background, I think it woulda helped, it was one of the things that made Irreversibles rape scene so powerful, it was just so simplistic that it was like looking into a window to some real life woman getting raped.

Anway, I guess we have hit a dead end here, so props to you for having a good, thought out discussion with me.

Waggy the Dog
Your welcome.

DirectorFitz
There doesn't need to be a specific character development...it's all played out in that moment of time....unless you would like it to be 3 hours of flash backs to serve your needs!!

DirectorFitz
OH! question...is there a DTS track on the DVD?

DirectorFitz
I loved this film. It got me back to my church more and more often, and I pick up the bible every day now. It has helped me so much to understand what Jesus has done for me and all our lives (my religious belief-I'm christian, not sure if all of you guys are too, but share your thoughts). And my friends have asked me why I want to buy it...they think this is a movie you see once in a lifetime because it is so tragically scarring. Well, for me, this movie is almost like a daily bread for all christians. I think that they should watch it everyday to help remind them why they are going to heaven, and why they are able to.

Stormy Day
I liked the movie,but watching it everyday ? blink

DirectorFitz
not everyday....i said in the terms of watching it to give you a reason to feel good....sure the visuals don't present that, but...as a christian....it is a truly uplifting movie...and even non-christians know what it is meant to be....and don't watch it everday....i don't think everyone would like that...try like every month or so...to remind you why you're going to heaven....for christians, i mean...perhaps it can help non-christians be born again...

Stormy Day
Good flick,Im a christian,but I dont think you need to watch this movie to be a christian.Just pick up a bible or go to a church service,or watching it once a year is good messed

DirectorFitz
that's not what I am saying!!! Watching this movie doesn't make you a christian! What I'm trying to say....is that this movie will help remind you....and if you're a christian and you are not reading the bible enough or not going to church enough....watch this, and it'll remind you to what extent he went to to save you.....then you, pick up your bible and read more...and more...and more....i'm saying....you don't have to use the violent parts as reminders all the time....im saying that you should watch the touching flashbacks with Jesus and his disciples if you're alone one day....and you're bible's not in front of you, but your DVD player is...just to clarify....

DirectorFitz
and the year idea is what I'm going to do....on Good Friday...

Stormy Day
If your a christian and your not reading the bible or going to church,then read the bible and go to church stick out tongue.You shouldnt have to watch a film to get you to go to church.If you really knew God and have experienced his love than you should want to go anyway.But if you need a movie to get you to go to church or read your bible then just dont bother erm

Cinemaddiction
I'll agree on reading the Bible, granted I need to do it more often myself. Watching the movie isn't necessarily a substitute, and while it should be a catalyst for devoting yourself to your religion, going to church, in all honesty isn't that important.

Organized religion, by way of segregation and denomination, is a sham. A personal relationship with Jesus is the way I have been living for quite some time now. read the Bible regularly, watch The Passion whenever you feel like, and try and tithe, even when you can't. It's all good.

BTW, less than 4 weeks until the DVD. cool

Stormy Day
I dont really want to get religious on on you because I understand that is not aloud in these forums.But going to church is very important.And different christians out there and ill name 2

1.Typical christian who goes to church once a week but doesnt live a christian life,and thinks hes going to heaven because he shows up once a week.
2.A christian who goes to church,has recieved the baptisim of the holy ghost and is filled with the holy spirit,and lives a christian life.

Going to church is very important.Hearing the preaching and praying at the alter stregnthens your relationship with God and makes you stronger in the lord.It gives you something that you cant get by watching "The Passion"every week erm

Cant wait for the dvd myself cool

BackFire
Screw the Passtion of the Christ; Four more weeks untill The Passion of the Jew hits on DVD big grin

Waggy the Dog
did you know:

that the very episode of the South Patk series, I assume, you speak of never came up with one real attack on the movie itself. All they said, in the entire show, was that Mel Gibson is "weird" and it was wrong of him to focus on Christ's death, in which, a film like this should have focused on Christ's life.

BackFire
Stan said a few direct criticisms on The Passion I believe. I haven't seen the episode for a while so I don't remember precisely what those were. I believe he called it a glorified snuff film, and another audience member said "It really guilts you into believing Christs story".

Waggy the Dog

Stormy Day
Its an amazing more no expression

Waggy the Dog
what?

Stormy Day
Its an amazing movie no expression

DirectorFitz
did you not hear me when I said that you don't have to watch it to go to church?? IT'S JUST ANOTHER WAY TO REMIND YOU! it's a good substitute from south park or any other vulger things on movies or tv.....sort of...bringing the spirit into that scedule of watching movies or tv....that is what I was trying to say....that's bull that I said that it's only way to feel christian....i read the bible every night now....i go to church to feel spiritually moved....not just from this movie

DirectorFitz
and another thing........I didn' say to replace "going to church" with "watching passion" Stormy Day!

DirectorFitz
this thread should just be moved to the movie discussion forum

Stormy Day
Dude this is just a movie What the f**k? im not gonna always watch this instead of something else that may be not christian.

DirectorFitz
im saying if it's right in front of you...and you haven't watched it in a while!!!!!!!!!!!

Stormy Day
You should only have to watch this flick once to know what God has done for you.It doesnt need numerous viewings.And you shouldnt really have a time when to watch it just watch it whenever you feel like it whether it be a year or five.I know that after I see it on dvd again I probaly wont watch it for another year erm

DirectorFitz
okay.....since I cannot say what I'm trying to say.....

I'm not trying to replace reading the bible with watching this....im not trying to replace going to church with watching this...

and when I said the "everyday" thing.....I DIDNT MEAN IT LITERALLY.....it's another way of rejoicing!!!! please let's drop this and talk about the DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stormy Day
I just think you taking this movie too seriously still considering its just a movie.

DirectorFitz
i know...i know...but at the time I saw it, i was a christian....who just went to church on sundays....and kinda forgot about it after that....but, when I saw this movie...it hit me like a ton of bricks, and from that day that movie was my rude awakening......

SO....back to the dvd...

Does anybody know if this DVD will have a DTS track?

vaya_the_elf
stormy day- its not just a movie for ppl who are christains or who think the bible is real.. which i am one of them.. and I think anyone who is a christain should see this movie because it reminds you of how much pain jesus did go though.

Stormy Day
Yeah but dont go all out and watch it everyone morning as a reminder or something messed

DirectorFitz
which i didnt say.......anyways......is there a DTS track???????

Stormy Day
rolleyes1

DirectorFitz
don't roll ur eyes at me! Is there a DTS track....i can't find a site that has good details on the DVD

Cinemaddiction
DTS and Dolby Digital, not it it really matters on a movie like this which is mostly dialogue.

Only difference between DTS and DD 5.1 these days a slightly higher compresion rate, which like I said, won't make much difference on this movie, anyway.

DirectorFitz
yes...but I like all my movies to have a MORE theater feeling

DirectorFitz
I pre-ordered the DVD a month ago. I get it tomorrow from the Family Christian Store in my town. Let me just tell you: this is going to be one of my best DVDs I own....content wise, not package wise(package as in features).

WindDancer
Hmmmm......I'm STILL undecided on getting this one. One thing is for sure...I will be getting Videodrome Criterion collection tomorrow! Yeah! yes

Stormy Day
The sad thing is,is that this isnt gonna have any special features, deleted scenes or commentary.Its just the film,and I hope somewhere along the line they'll release a special edition.

I pre-ordered at blockbuster and got a 7 week movie rental card Happy Dance

ragesRemorse
Well gibson diddnt make the film for entertainment. what wasnt put into the movie was because it wasnt necessary. Personally i saw this movie twice, and that was enough. It was an emotional movie to me, and i cannot see how people could purchase the movie to watch over and be entertained.

Stormy Day
Um if you where reffering to me I was just complaining about it only being the film and no special features whatsoever.

And after I see it today for the second time I probaly wont view it again for another 1-2 years.

Cinemaddiction
Well, I bought it, and not for entertainment. I just think it should be a staple in the DVD collection of Christians worldwide. As long as they pay for it, anot not steal it.

Stormy Day
I dont think anyone bought it for entertainment but because they wanted it for there collection.I have my review up now.

Waggy the Dog
Since the current DVD release of "Passion" is as they say "bare bones", will there be some kind of lavishly featured version of the movie coming out in the near future? or is this all we are going to get? I am heavily conflicted on whether I should immediately run out and get the DVD as is or wait until futher notice? Has anyone heard anything on this matter?

WindDancer
If I buy it is for entertainment. That's why this movie has actors in it. Actors perform for audiences therefore they want to entertain the audience. Since the DVD has no special features I'm losing interest. If there is a future release with extra features I might be interested again. Until then.....I'll save my money.

BackFire
"Well gibson diddnt make the film for entertainment"

That's obvious when watching the film, it's far to boring and redundant for anyone to consider entertaining.

While everyone was out wasting their money on something they'll never watch, I purchased what I consider to be the most entertaining and interesting thing to be associated with The Trashion of the Christ - "The Passion of the Jew" DVD today. I'll actually watch this numerous times, thus getting my moneys worth.

Stormy Day
Backfire your pretty hard to please.

On another note even though its an excellent flick I would save my money and rent it and by the special edition(hoping it comes out).

ragesRemorse
the passion wasnt meant to be your conventional movie. Of course if you are not religous, the film is going to be boring to you, unless you like good filmaking or get off on brutality. the movie was meant for everyone,but not everyone will be able to understand the meaning. If you want an accurate recreation of what the Bible states, then the Passion is a good way to learn or get a more visual feeling for the passion. the movie doesnt speak only to religous people though, Like the Bible it is for everyone and is about Humanity more than it is about God or Jesus.

BackFire
"Backfire your pretty hard to please."

Not really, I just want movies to serve more of a purpose then trying to get me to believe the agenda of the nut job film maker. I guess if recognizing a glorified snuff film as nothing but a glorified snuff film, then I am indeed hard to please.

Waggy the Dog
Holy Bulony Backfire,

You really don't like "The Passion...", I suggest you read the Reel review of it. At first, they gave the movie 1.5 out of 4, but then when all of the "talk" died down they gave it a 4 out of 4.

Just like me and, I assume, you, the person reviewing the film has no affinity for...uh... divinity.

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=138785&buy=open&PID=10114306&Tab=reviews&CID=18#tabs

Stormy Day
I have to admit it does get boring at times but it makes up for it when they do the flogging and crusifixtion."A not job filmaker" haha how could you call Mel Gibson a nutjob filmaker?He has made the most accurate and stunning portrayal of the final hours of Jesus Christ out there,he's achieved what all the low-bugdet Jesus flicks and made-for-tv-movies tried to do but failed.Even though I see the movie as entertainment it was made to inform and educate and he did it well.I know more about what Jesus went through now than the bible or a Jesus video could've told or showed me.

SlipknoT
It's not accurate since it never happened.

BackFire
"You really don't like "The Passion...", I suggest you read the Reel review of it. At first, they gave the movie 1.5 out of 4, but then when all of the "talk" died down they gave it a 4 out of 4."

Woopty do, that just proves they opinions are shallow and easily persuaded. And I could care less about reviews, I don't need to read reviews to know that I loathed this movie.

"A not job filmaker" haha how could you call Mel Gibson a nutjob filmaker?He has made the most accurate and stunning portrayal of the final hours of Jesus Christ out there,he's achieved what all the low-bugdet Jesus flicks and made-for-tv-movies tried to do but failed."

Oh, wonderful. So a high budget movie achieves it's purpose better then TV movies and college films. Wow, that's amazing. Name another movie that focuses SOLEY on Jesus's execution and death? Most other films about Jesus at least attempt to show something worthy of watching. "People need to stop concentrating on how Jesus died and care about what he taught when he was alive." Too quote South Park.

Waggy the Dog

BackFire
Is a film being boring and preachy not a valid reason to dislike it? Seems to be as good a reason as any to dislike a film. I watch films to be entertained, if I want to be preached at I'll go to church.

Yeah, violence is a powerful tool and yadda yadda, but when it's the driving force of a dramatic film, it becomes tiresome and in the end - didactic and repetitive.

South threw up plenty of valid arguments.

-The film was a snuff film - valid argument there. It was a snuff film, it was a film thats primary goal was to show a man dying and suffering. That is a snuff film. But, oh wait, it was about Jesus, so it's an "educational experience" now. What a crock.

-The film was antisemetic. This is hard to argue, considering it does show almost every jew as an evil, spiteful person hell bent on causing as much pain and suffering as possible. It doesn't bother developing character for any of them, they were all simple, mindless villians. I know, I know, the story is told this way. All that proves is that the story itself is also antisemetic.

-The film was repetitive and redundant. This was insinuated in the scenes in which the kids were watching the film, when we heard constant whipping and screaming. This was of course overlysimplified, but it was still a valid point. The whole movie is proposed of torturing jesus in one way or another - either verbally, or physically. With flash back scenes that were few and far between.

All of these are extremely valid points against the film. And the most valid point is the quote I stole earlier. People shouldn't concentrate on Jesus's death. Anyone who has to see a man get tortured for two hours to "reaffirm their faith" is a sap and probably not much of a Christian to begin with. It's his teachings, and what he did during his life that should be important to people, not his death.

Waggy the Dog
Okay, you know what, I think this continuous argument between us, has got to end sometime.
But anywho, this is somewhat fun.

"Is a film being boring and preachy not a valid reason to dislike it? Seems to be as good a reason as any to dislike a film. I watch films to be entertained, if I want to be preached at I'll go to church"

My point with my last post was that the film wasn't preachy at all nor was it boring. It was intense when it had to be and was realistic as to, if a man, brutally flogged, who then has to carry his heavy cross across a long distance keeps falling, is perceived as boring to you? Well, then, okay. I can't really say all that much about it. It is also one of the more nihilistic films I have seen in a while.

The New York Times said this:

"The Passion of the Christ is so relentlessly focused on the savagery of Jesus' final hours that this film seems to arise less from love than from wrath, and to succeed more in assaulting the spirit than in uplifting it."

"Yeah, violence is a powerful tool and yadda yadda, but when it's the driving force of a dramatic film, it becomes tiresome and in the end - didactic and repetitive. "

What is wrong with being didactic? All this means is that it is focused in what it wants to say. It is more or less a play on film and shows what it has to show in the way it wants to say it, and, frankly, what movie doesn't do that?

"-The film was a snuff film - valid argument there. It was a snuff film, it was a film thats primary goal was to show a man dying and suffering. That is a snuff film."

Okay. Coming from someone who has seen war crimes and jail executions on film for purposes of schooling, I know what a snuff film is. My friend, "The Passion of the Christ" is no snuff film, much less a glorified one. And even if it was on some insignificant level in some far off universe, that is completely irrelevant due to the above description of violence in Cinema. Let's keep on topic here.

"-The film was antisemetic. This is hard to argue, considering it does show almost every jew as an evil, spiteful person hell bent on causing as much pain and suffering as possible. It doesn't bother developing character for any of them, they were all simple, mindless villians. I know, I know, the story is told this way. All that proves is that the story itself is also antisemetic."

Again, this film was to show more or less a snap shot of what may or may not have happened in history. There is no character
development of any character throughout the film. Uh, also with that argument, Schindler's List is anti-German. Black Hawk Down is anti-Somalian. Menace II Society is anti-black. Jurassic Park is anti-Dinosaur.

The rest of your post is repetitive, and I want to stop before mine becomes so as well.

Cinemaddiction
Well, anti-semiticism is a sin, and for Gibson to blatantly ignore that, and devote an entire movie to a man who died for said sins seems kind of ironic, given you understand what semitism really is.

The Jews and Pilate himself were unfairly under developed, thus came off as semitic. Under Roman law, Jesus the Christ was a lawbreaker. Contrary to popular belief, it was Pontius Pilate that did the dirty work, having his savagely beaten and scourged, only to stiff the Jews with the bill, in crucifixtion, as he literally washed his hands clean of any wrong doing.

Keep in mind, it was the Roman Empire that had already slaughtered over 1 million Jews before, and had many more cast out of Judea. Romans had control over them, so the Jews had no choice but to take the blame for his crucifixation, which didn't even matter, given Christ was willing to sacrifice himself for our (what were then both his and our supposed) sins.

It just didn't translate fairly, IMO, and sparked some debate.

That said. Christ teachings aren't the focus of this movie, it's his personal passion. His sacrifice should be equally as important, and the movie serves as the most complete and effective reminder of what he endured for the sake of our (Christian and Non-Christian alike) sins.

Waggy the Dog
mmm hmmmm

BackFire
"What is wrong with being didactic? All this means is that it is focused in what it wants to say. It is more or less a play on film and shows what it has to show in the way it wants to say it, and, frankly, what movie doesn't do that?"

Right, but when the film forgoes entertainment in order to slam us in the head with it's message, that is a problem. This film was boring, I don't see how it couldn't be. It was repetitve, repetition is boring.

"Okay. Coming from someone who has seen war crimes and jail executions on film for purposes of schooling, I know what a snuff film is. My friend, "The Passion of the Christ" is no snuff film, much less a glorified one. And even if it was on some insignificant level in some far off universe, that is completely irrelevant due to the above description of violence in Cinema. Let's keep on topic here."

I've been on topic this whole time, don't know where that comment came from.

And the difference between The Passion and the types of films you mentioned above is that those films know what they are. They don't claim to be anything else. This film was NOT powerful, it was NOT dramtic. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a film to be dramatic if a film has no character development of any kind. If you don't care about whats happening on screen, then drama is impossible. Holy shit, common sense there. Also, it is not irrelevent because of your little violence description. A snuff film is not entertaining to normal people. It is a video of a person getting killed or tortured. That is exactly what The Passion is. And I found it glorified because of it's use of dramatic music. Using music of any kind trivializes and glorifies the scenes because it reminds us that it's nothing more then a movie.

"Again, this film was to show more or less a snap shot of what may or may not have happened in history. There is no character
development of any character throughout the film. Uh, also with that argument, Schindler's List is anti-German. Black Hawk Down is anti-Somalian. Menace II Society is anti-black. Jurassic Park is anti-Dinosaur."

Yep, and it's still antisemetic. Just because it was a "snap shot" into a possible occurance doesn't change anything. The bottom line - The film showed ALL jews on screen in a negative light. The other films you mentioned did not show ALL members of their ethnicity in a negative light. Schindlers list is Anti-Nazi, if you remember correctly, a german guy saved people in that movie. Menace 2 Society shows some good black people. In Jurassic Park a dinosour saves the people from another dinasour, ect. Even though these movies did show most of the member of the ethnicity in a bad light, not ALL of them, as the Passion did.

SlipknoT
laughing out loud

Waggy the Dog

Cinemaddiction
Then there is Jesus, Mary, Magdalene, Claudia, and those who were actually brave enough to break stride from Pilate and denounce his "punishment" that would have been carried out. It was up to the chief priest, the elders, and the council at the Sanhedrin. They are the ones that forced false accusations to have him crucified. His accusers were indeed Jews, but it was by no means the majority.

Pontius Pilate, the Jews, Satan, the religious leaders, all of us. We all had a hand in it.

Did everyone just pass over my last post? I feel like I am repeating myself.

BackFire

WindDancer
*sight*

Oh great everyone.....here we go again! The film is for Entertainment purposes people! Whether you've enjoyed the film or NOT is your taste....simple. Every damn movie made to this date that has actors and actresses is meant to entertain the audiences that pay a ticket to see the show!

Yes, we are aware that Passion has a strong theme for Christians. And we are NOT criticizing the faith! We are criticizing the film and the acting. That's it!

I was interested in purchasing the film NOT because of spiritual beliefs, but because I felt it was an entertaining movie. Yes, some parts were funny and other parts of the film were quite sad. That for me qualifies as entertaining!

I'm disappointed that the DVD didn't have any extra features. Therefore, I'm not going to buy the film. If Gibson decides to release a Collectors edition I might buy it. I don't care if Gibson does it to make money! That's what filmaking today is all about......making lots of MONEY!. That's Mel Gibson intention and is none of my business if he makes millions. As long as he delivers a great DVD features that's fine by me.

Again, Passion is for Entertainment purposes. Whether you like the film or not. The film was aim for a general audiences that pay money to see a movie..... NOT a documentary!

ThePhantomsKiss
OMGOSH I WATCHED IT A FEW NIGHTS AGO...It RULED!Makes you think what Jesus went through sad cry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.