Green Day: American Idiot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

<<Solo>>
I wasn't actually a Green Day fan untill I heard this album, In fact before this album I used to despise them. But this album is great.
Any Green Day fans that havn't heard this new cd, the definately need to pick it up, it's pretty awesome.

amity75
After all this time together, who'd have thought Green Day would even be interesting let alone this close to greatness?

Turbo-Cajun
I liked their old stuff... their new stuff sucks compared to that. Granted I haven't heard all of the stuff on the new cd, but I haven't liked what they've been doing lately, and didnt really like what I've heard of their new stuff so far.

<<Solo>>
Oh I know,
and Turbo none of their singles are exactly excellent but they have some pretty sweet songs on this cd, atleast download it.

lil bitchiness
I like it thumb up

I was always a green day fan, and this album isnt their best best work, but its still pretty awesome.

Deathblow
I don't like it at all. Don't know why. It's better than Warning (but thats not exactly difficult), but they reached their peak with Dookie and Insomniac, and nothing they've done since then has interested me erm

moonwalker741
Not as good as there past albums, definitely not no

Morgoths_Wrath
I was very impressed with this album. My favorite track would have to be Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Def. download that one, you wouldnt even think it was Green Day if you didnt know any better, but its real good.

ElectricBugaloo
they didn't do anything new on this CD except for making it a concept album. listening to Billie Joe do the same things he did on Nimrod musically and having people call it "great" and "best album of the year" really hurts me.

It's a good album, but not great.

Myth
I love the album. Here is a post from another topic in here (it was in reply to a negative post about their new stuff not being anything new):

Solo - I disagree with this statement of yours:

What you should have said is:

True Green Day fans have already heard it.

ElectricBugaloo
so because Green Day did what hundreds of bands have done before (the concept album) all of a sudden that makes it great? that the songs lead into one another? Ever heard Side 2 of Abbey Road? Or any Pink Floyd album? Tommy? It makes AI look like the works of an amateur.

Myth
Ok, I'm not saying that it is a new concept. I'm saying that Green Day is branching out. I love Green Day's music and it merges superbly in my opinion with this concept. Those other albums are great too. I just prefer Green Day. Thats me. You don't and that is fine.

Df02
surprised i havent vented my hatred of this song yet

theyve compromised their music to fit in with the recent punk hatred of the government and society lol....specifically bush

ClaraG
I never paid much notice to green day but after i heard that song i was like whoa they rock!

SlipknoT
thier older stuff was much much better

Darth Revan
This thread is about American Idiot the album... Not American Idiot the song. I like the album as a whole quite a bit, the song is just alright.

<<Solo>>
Yeah I actually don't like the song American Idiot that much but songs like, Jesus Of Surburbia, St Jimmy, St.Jimmy Is Dead, Give Me Novacaine, and Holiday just make the cd so awesome.

tom_delonge
werent you all punk haters?

<<Solo>>
What the ****,tom?

All my favorite bands are punk,
we were ragging on ****ing Good Charollete and Sum 41, and all of those shittie bands.

They aren't punk.

Elondra
I never heard any of their old songs.But I really like this new album.And hopefully I'm gonna see them play live.

Myth
^I'm ordering tickets to see them when they go on sale tomorrow!

Elondra
I ordered mine this morning!!!!!At Hammersmith Apollo on the 7th of February!

Elondra
OMG most of the venues were sold out in 7 hours.

fuct_up_kid
yeah, i heard that song on the radio and loved it, but didn't click that it was green day until aaages into it.

but i love this album, especially 'boulevard of broken dreams' and 'give me novacaine'

A4E
this album's pretty good, i luv jesus of surbia(sp?)
and my fav song (old one) is blood, sex and booze, i love it!

<<Solo>>
Not a big deal, my favorite band, The Pixies sold out all of there tickets last summmer in 1 hr. 30min.

Cinemaddiction
Recent? You are aware that punk was FOUNDED on anti-capitalism, right? confused

If nothing else, it was Green Day's way of re-establishing themselves as a premier pop-punk band, and what better way to do so than get back to your personal roots, as well as those of your genre?

Get a kleenex for those sissies in Good Charlotte, cuz if the Green Day of old is back, there's going to be a lot of running mascara. laughing

<<Solo>>
That is very awesome, I'll have to start quoting that.

A4E
laughing!

Afro Cheese
I was never a Green Day fan, but their new album seems to be good. I've only heard Jesus of Suburbia and American Idiot but both are good songs and American Idiot is really good for a Green Day single. I was never really into their other stuff they had years ago.

lil bitchiness
Agreed.

Recent? Are people forgetting the mighty Refused, Clash, Dead Kennedys etc...confused

Cinemaddiction
You gotta go as far back as "Kerplunk" if you want the real "punk" era Green Day.

Afro Cheese
Maybe I'll give it a try. I am only 17 so I really wasn't old enough to listen to Greenday when they were big...back then the only music i knew was the stuff my parents listened to (classic rock). But I did download a lot of stuff from Dookie and wasn't really into it, except Welcome to Paradise, which was ok.

Tex
GreenDay isn't as awesome as they were 10 years ago, but their new stuff still warrants the $10 you pay for it! thumb up

BackFire
Their new song sucks. And it's funny that you mention Good Charllete and their mascera, in their new video Greenday is dressed up like a cross between Marylin Manson and a retard. Then again they're both one in the same, so that goes without saying.

They claim they don't want to be an American idiot, too bad they already look the part.

Flying High
i like greenday old and new.....theyr diferent but both good....

Korri
I wish someone would kipnap them and send them to the moon no expression

<<Solo>>
Most of everyone here admitted the song American Idiot, the song, sucks.

MornGlory
is the new Green Day cd any good???? I wasnt sure if I should get it or not-

Myth
yes, it is awesome. Get it.

SnakeEyes
I am listening to this album right now and i must say its pretty damn good. Not their best, but still pretty good. I get to see them live next month

Elondra
It is very good and worth the money. big grin

SnakeEyes
bump

ragesRemorse
Anyone else into greenday? If so what do you think of there new album? Personally I was pleased with it. I know it's been four years since their last album, and i think they delivered. It seems that they have continued on the path they set with Warning, and have tried to be a little more instrumental and have some substance to their lyrcs. I think American Idiot is a nice touch, but it seems as if they have left their punk roots totally with this album. They are more alternative or soft rock now. Music sounds solid and complete though, but after listening to the album i was left with the question, What happend to the punk?

this wasnt necesarily a bad thing, because they are getting older and it seems they are growing not only in perceptions but in their music aswell.
what does everyone else think?

ragesRemorse
Yeah well i just saw the other greenday thread so sorry about that. I overlooked it the first time.

ragesRemorse
Warning was a great album. They were experimenting with some new sounds and techniques. I think they did a good job with staying on the path they started with Warning, but it seems they left out all the punk, whereas Warning still had some punk essence left. Eigther way i like it, but it defenantly feels like a new greenday. Overall i would say it is a success, but after four years, there should have been alot more offered.

Abbita
I hadn't really heard of green day until American Idiot came out and i loved it, along with most other people in school which is really strange because they arent into this kind of music so its gotta be pretty good big grin

Korri
I hate it no expression

Myth
Question for those of you who listen to the radio. Besides the song American Ideot, has any of the other songs off this album made it pretty big on the radio?

<<Solo>>
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

BOPRecruit 16
i absolutely love their new song, "boulevard of broken dreams"! eek! rock

DaRk Lotus
last night the radio played GreenDay live and uncut one of there older liv shows but still good.

FEDFAN316
i love green day but where i live every body (well most people anyway)dont like them well most people hate the things i lisson 2 but u get used 2 it

A4E
for those who have heard jesus of surbia, wuz ure favorite part???
mine's the 2nd one

fuct_up_kid
i like the first part

Myth
I like the 3rd part but the whole thing is great.

BOPRecruit 16
are they considered the godfathers of punk or something? also, i recently found out that this band formed back in 1988, the year my baby bro was born, when they were only 14. can you believe it? eek! messed

Elondra
I love the 1st and 2nd part and I like the 4th part a bit.

Elondra
I think they are.
They were formed when I was born so the are pretty old for a punk band.

Korri
kill smile

ragesRemorse
Well Greenday is the band that forced the title punk. There were bands out there that played the same kind of formula, but greenday was the mostrecognized. they unfortunately opend the flood gates of hell to all of the punk bands we have to day..."shivers" Anymore though, you cant call Greenday a punk band, i think like the punk scene they grew out of that shit. American idiot is kind of soft, but a good album. As long as they dont take another damn four years to produce another album, i'll probably stay a greenday fan.

FEDFAN316
ragesRemorse

Well Greenday is the band that forced the title punk. There were bands out there that played the same kind of formula, but greenday was the mostrecognized. they unfortunately opend the flood gates of hell to all of the punk bands we have to day..."shivers" Anymore though, you cant call Greenday a punk band, i think like the punk scene they grew out of that shit. American idiot is kind of soft, but a good album. As long as they dont take another damn four years to produce another album, i'll probably stay a greenday fan

true really true

A4E
ok... not quite neccesary, u couldve just quoted laughing out loud

and RR, i like a lot of hard punk music, but i like green day better cuz it's my type of music anti capitalism, etc. but it's soft, daz y i luiv it

ragesRemorse
I'm all for the whole anti coorperate rock thing too. I think greenday has been able to dodge repetition in their career, and move twords new things. It just seems that they have left their roots completely atleast in the music. they still hold true in their lyrics. I dont want to seem like i'm complaining, i'm satisfied with American idiot. I am just worrying that the present style of music they gave us with Warning and now Idiot will be the ending chapter in the book of greenday. they have always been able to stay away from redundancy, but from Warning and now idiot their style of play seems to say that they have left the punk rock stage and entered into alternative rock.

ChickinMeat
Im yet to hear the album, but i really dont like the AI single, i thought it was absolute crap. this has probably put me off listening to the album.

A4E
well, I think they opened many doors, like
pop-punk music
like blink 182
simple plan
etc.

they're like, 'we're punks' but their lyrics, do not have...the true like u say like simple plan

i know a girl who's obsessed with a guy...etc'
it's like WHO CARES?!

blink have some good lyrics tho'...

PippinTook
I'm listening to Green Day's new album right now...Like pretty much everyone else that has replied has said, it's not as good as their older albums, but I still like it. yes Loverly. I'm addicted to Jesus of Suburbia and Holiday. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is a good song, too. Letterbomb's okay...

moonwalker741
i like green day alot...
there new album, american idiot, is not that good thumb down
i only like one or two songs on there album...
there previous stuff is great though

BOPRecruit 16
i love the beats to their songs and some of them have powerful, meaningful lyrics. which is your fave?

glad they stayed together for that long.

did anyone watch trl on monday? green day dropped by for a bit. talked about their new album and halloween. the drummer, forgot his name by now, went as benji of good charlotte. there was a pic shown. so uncanny! eek! hmm...the drummer is called tre cool or something like that? blink sorry, i'm just learning the band member's names. billie joe is the lead singer, michael is the bass guitariest, and tre cool the drummer. yup.

Elondra
Got the International Superhits! album yesterday.All the songs are fab.And I can't believe that "Good Riddance(Time of your life)" has the violin in it!

I don't have mtv so I missed trlsad
And yes you're right BOPRecruit
Billie Joe-Lead singer and guitars
Mike-bass
Tre' Cool-drums

Billie Joe writes most of the lyrics.Mike has a few.

BOPRecruit 16
when they were on trl, they were silly and seemed to have a good sense of humor about things.

has anyone seen them in concert and are they worth seeing in concert? they are coming to callie later this month...

Elondra
Well I've never been to their concert before but I am going to in February.

btw my friend told me that he saw the video of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" but it's not on their website.Do you know I place where I can watch it?

BOPRecruit 16
there's a vid for it now? eek! sweet! I gotta find that! if i do, i'll be sure to post the link for you! happy

ragesRemorse
If you lie alot of spotanaity in concerts, then you will like greenday. If you prefer the band that stick more to their studio sounds, you might want to stay away. I have seen Greenday twice. They are a great band live, they mix it up a bit. They play loud and play hard, but again if your looking for their songs to sound like what you hear on their albums you might want to pass.

Elondra
Hey everyone, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is out this month. Don't forget to buy itwink

And also try to get tickets if you canbig grin

A4E
elondra am gettin ure sig and avvy !! laughing out loud

Elondra
Bugger off A4E!!!wink

lol Punk Prince-Punk PrincesssmileWe certainly make a good couple. laughing out loud

<<Solo>>
I would be listening to it. But a friend of mine stole it and moved to Las Vegas. Damn.

Elondra
Their old songs are better than their new ones.

<<Solo>>
...Well I don't know, their new epics are pretty damn awesome.

BOPRecruit 16
RagesRemorse: Sounds great! cool Gotta note their tour dates later.
A4E: The last time I was online and checked their site, the vid for it wasn't there yet. The update/news section said it was being made and aired the making of it on MTV2 first. I'll check again soon.

Elondra
Apparently the video was on Green Day Authority but they removed it from there.

Myth
The American Ideot video? I have it on my computer. big grin

ragesRemorse
Yeah, but they are two totally different style's. I understand you liking one from the other. If you listen to each album though, each one is different and is slowly changing as the members are slowly changing. Unlike many bands, Greenday seems to try to always mix it up with new techniques while keeping the music true. Rather than placating to the people.

Elondra
No, Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Myth
Well, I guess I'll have to find that one for download too.

Alpha Centauri
I think "American Idiot" is their most mature, musically advanced album. But as always, when they move forward some of the shit fans who can't "get" the music, just shit on them and say "it's not that good". Shame really.

4 years is really not long for a new album.

Well, that's the only major gap they've had. Tool have 3 albums (not including the EP) since 93. One in 93, one in 96, one in 01.

-AC

A4E
do i smell a crush on the air??

and it's so sonfusing with u haveing the same avvy/sggy than i do!! laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

and boulevard of broken dreams the ebst song ever

whats your favo old song?? mine is Blood, Sex and Booze

BOPRecruit 16
dude, has the video come out yet?! eek!

Elondra
roll eyes (sarcastic) whistling wink stick out tongue

Well you were the one who nicked my siggy and avvy stick out tongue

Yes it's a great song.I love Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Well I have quite a few favs from the old songs.Stuck on me, basket case, jaded and some others I can't remember right now.

Elondra
I just saw the Boulevard of Broken Dreams video and I don't like it.
It's on yahoo if you wanna watch it.

eezy45
They've gone a bit too much into commercial, but they rock still.

My fav album is... Nimrod.

Aqua
i luv American Idiot love

BOPRecruit 16
i got their new cd last week and i have to say that i was a bit disappointed with the album. the lyrics were great, but not enough variation of the beats to the songs from track to track. i did like boulevard of broken dreams. but that was it.

Elondra
Got my copy of NME a minute ago. Green Day's on the coversmile

Elondra
Eww I just heard Avril Lavigne sing Basket Case.She totally killed the song. Someone hang her.

Myth
I see Green Day... TOMORROW!!!

khalla
My favourite songs on the album are Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy. I think it's one of their best albums.

Elondra
It's definetly their most mature.

Scarpa
If they called ther album "Canadian Idiot" It would have been more acurate

Just kidding

Myth
I saw them LAST NIGHT!!!! They were awesome! They sure know how to put on a show. I'll use spoilers for some of the things they did just incase they do the same things at other showings:
It started out with a pink bunny coming out on stage acting drunk and getting the crowd ready with YMCA. Freakin hillarious. They did some really nice covers in the way of (not sure if these are actual titles) "We are the Champions" and "You Make Me Want to Shout". If things are all the same and you go, be prepared to jump the gate or run for the doors if you are not on the floor because he called for about 400 people to be added to the floor that didn't have tickets for it. Then there was a bunch of other really cool things that they did as well.

BTW: Newfound Glory opened for them and they sucked my butthole. Even when there was a break in the musical part of a song, you still couldn't understand that SOB.

BOPRecruit 16
last night, i saw their new music video for "boulevard of broken dreams". loved it. good cinematography, locations, and suited the lyrics nicely. thumb up cool

Elondra
I don't understand what you mean by that.

I'm glad you had a good timesmile

Myth
At the concert, there was 2 types of tickets: floor tickets and general admission. Floor is right in front of the band and thats where moshes and things like that are. GA is the seats that fill up the stadium. If you have GA on this tour, be prepared for Billie Joe to ask for about 400 more people to go down to the floor for free. You will have to be prepared to run to get in.

Elondra
Thanks for explainingsmileStupid mestick out tongue

If any of the seated people come to the pit then I'll probably start kicking people to save my own life lol.

Is it true that they pick some people and let them play one of their songs?

Alpha Centauri
The only band I've seen that involved the fans actively was Deftones. They dragged some guy up on stage and let him sing. Saying that, I've seen em twice and they did that on one gig so I dunno if it was special treatment or not.

-AC

Elondra
Bump.

New single coming out this monday.Go and buy itsmile

moonwalker741
oh really? which song?

Elondra
Boulevard of Broken Dreams.It's a great song.One of my favouritessmile

moonwalker741
its already out, isnt it? well the video is out, and its played on teh radio alot.... its already played out near me

Elondra
It was meant to be out last Monday but for some reason it got delayed.

Red Superfly
Nah they do that all the time. Always fun.

When I saw em in August they played American Idiot and previewed some songs from their album before it was released.

It was really cool to hear a bunch of songs for the first time LIVE and in person.

Also, that same gig they covered "I fought the law" which is a song they cover often but never loses it's coolness.

Green Day are superb. Incidentally, my fave American Idiot song erratically changes - mainly because every song is brilliant. As of right now, my fave-songometer is currently set to the fantastic Homecoming.

On the next album I would appreciate a couple of songs using more of Tre Cool's vocals. I love it in Homecoming when he takes over and starts singing "I play the shit out the drums, and I can play the guitar".

Elondra
Yes they rule!!!

moonwalker741
homecoming is great, tre cool is friggen awesome

Myth
They did do that and it was quite cool. The guy they got to be the guitarist was really good so Billie Joe let him keep the guitar.

Elondra
Oh my God!!!!That's so cool. cool big grin
But the only thing I can play is Macy's Day parade embarrasment

Red Superfly
I can play most of Green Days songs, most of em kinda use the same patterns.

American Idiot is my most fun one to play at the moment. I had to trawl through several tabs in order to find the correct solo tab. Man, people that post on sites like MXTabs shouldn't be allowed near a guitar - most tabs there are just awful, and when they are right they are in the wrong key or something.

Elondra
Oh I just got the Good Riddance tab from there.I don't really know if it's the right one. Do you know a place that has the correct tabs?

Red Superfly
Some of them are right, but some can be way off.

I always read the comments that people make and if the tab doesn't get 100% positive feedback then I'll move on.

I think I have a Good Riddance tab, and I think every one I've had so far is wrong. I'll have to look around some more.

Myth
They ask who can play what and ask how many years experience you have. They then tell you what cords to play really quick and have you go at it.

Elondra
I hope my friend Dan goes up..He plays the guitar great!!!!

moonwalker741
hey, does anybody know what there next single will be

MornGlory
isnt their lastes single Blvd of Broken..?? something?? not sure what the name is = I just heard it first time yesterday and its sort of catchy

BOPRecruit 16
before i found out what the band member's names were and had visited their official site and noticed that some of the songs were titled or about voting or not voting for billie joe. when i saw that, i thought they were making fun of billy joel. eek! my bad! laughing messed bunny

MornGlory
H AH AH AH HA AHA BILLY JOEL!!!! ha h ah ah ahs
thats sort of funny

Billy Joe Armstrong wears more eyeliner than me or Michael Jackson

Red Superfly
The guy that got to do the guitar as the last gig I went to must've been on crack or something. He was jumping around all over the place in serious hypo mode, and managed to kiss (this is a dude) Billy Joe several times on the lips.

If you ever get pulled up on stage to play, don't be like this guy and look like a complete tool. It was funny though.

Hehe, funnily enough, the drummer was also pretty funny. All of them were told to play a simple rhythm, but the drummer kept going off on solos and stuff. Tre Cool started to strangle him and kept his hands on his throat the whole gig ("NO! BAD!"wink, really funny.

Elondra
I don't really know about the 3rd single but the 4th single's gonna be "Wake me up when September ends"

Elondra
Tre's a ledge!!!!

BOPRecruit 16
billie joe so does not look like he is or nearly is 30! eek! btw, are michael and tre cool older than him? michael most certainly looks like the oldest...

MornGlory
I liked Green Day when I was in highschool - so i liked Dookie and Nimrod - but American Idiot -- i like the music of American Idiot - but I hate the words - and I would never have American Idiot CD in my collection- puke

Elondra
They are all 32.They were born in 1972.

el_barto
I wouldnt consider them the godfathers of punk because without The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, and The Clash they wouldnt even be here today.

Wolfie
The only song I really cared for on American Idiot was Boulevard of Broken Dreams. erm

Myth
At the concert I went to it was Billie Joe who kissed the guitarist. Sounds exactly the same other than that RS. Did BJA give the guy the guitar for keeps as well?

MornGlory
why did he kiss the guitarists?????

Myth
I don't know, he just did. Why did he reach his hands down his own pants and pretend to masturbate? Somethings I just can't explain.

MornGlory
when did he put his hand in his pants and pretend to masterbate-

wish i could have been there

Myth
Um... towards the beginning. I think he was in the middle of a cover and he started doing a copy cat yell thing with the crowd (Waaaayyy-O-Waaaaaay-O type thing). Then he started moaning like he was going to have an orgasm (and the crowd copied that as well). Then he said he felt like getting nasty, he unzipped his pants, reached down and then continued the moaning noises.

Fearnix
so you could beat the shit out of him???

MornGlory
laughing out loud naw i thought it would be sexy to see that ---

Elondra
It's a tradition of his.He kisses a guy at every gig-Why not a girl God dammit!

Myth
2 guys kissing is never sexy.

BOPRecruit 16
elondra: where did you get that really cool pic of green day and who made that siggy?

Elondra
I can't remember where I got it from but I'll post it here.And I made the siggy myself.

moonwalker741
i just watched the big in '04 performance, it was awesome....i wish i saw them live

moonwalker741
where did you hear this from? it would be cool if the 3rd single will be letterbomb....

el_barto
I would prefer St.Jimmy to be there 3rd, just because it sounds more punkish big grin

Elondra
They already filmed Holiday,I think it was meant to be released before BoBD.

I hope the 3rd video is gonna be Letterbombsmile

moonwalker741
i watched the makign the video for boulevard, and they showed things taht were not in the boulevard video, and it looked like they were doing the holiday video too, but when they showed the finished video at the end of teh show, they only showed bobd.....so do you know where i can see the holiday video?

and yeah i hope the 3rd single is gonna be letterbomb, st jimmi is realy really cool and would also make a good single, but i liek letter bomb better

BOPRecruit 16
thanks for the pic elondra and great job on the siggy!

man, i wished they also performed their new single when they were there...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>