Jabba in a new hope

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gangularis
just thought we could discuss his appearance in a new hope here.

the part i wanted to touch on was his voice.
why is it that he barely sounds like the jabba from rotj? they know how they made it sound that way the first time... why can't they duplicate that in this day and age?? or at the very least, make it sound more like him?? i just got done workin a 12 hour shift, so i don't feel like looking up who does the voice for him in the two episodes, but was wondering if anyone knew why his damn voice just sounds so off in the new hope special edition...compared to ROTJ

it sounds like a fan boy could've done it for cryin out loud.

Jerico
Well not to mention that he acted completly out of character considering Ep VI also he's about half the size!

Red Superfly
I thought that, but then you've gotta realise that in A New Hope, he's stood in a pit/hangar thingy. In ROTJ he's sat in a echoing room. His voice is bound to sound different.

Jabba having an echoing, booming voice in a spacious hanger would sound so wrong.

I'd prefer it if they just removed it to be honest, because THAT Jabba was a completely different character (business man) to the vile villain from ROTJ.

You can't really do that scene without manipulating Jabbas character.

Han seemed like the boss in that scene, Jabba seemed too incompetant. It should have been the other way around.

In the original versions, Han keeps going on about this "Jabba The Hutt" - and there's mystery to him, a certain threat, a 'phantom menace' even (huck huck).

Despite all this, I can still live with it.

I'd like to see the original Greedo scene back in the movie, more than getting rid of this scene.

OB1-adobe
I like the scene, its not too bad. Jabba is not half his size. The only beef I have about it is the color of his skin, and his eyes are the wrong color. They are supposed to be red, not yellow.

cal31
Well I read somewhere that they had to make him skinnier in ANH then ROTJ becase they couldn't have fit him in the same scene as Han since he was standing right next to the guy that originally played Jabba and he wasn't nearly as big as Jabba.

Morgoths_Wrath
it's just something you have to accept, i guess. use your imagination. its just a movie, right? it's not gonna be perfect. look at yoda from ep.1 compared to the cgi yoda in ep.2, and there's the muppet yoda in ep.5. its all good if you ask me.

Gangularis
*as a tangent i don't want to take too far from this topic*

just wanted to add that i heard for future dvd release, episode I will have a completely cgi yoda like aotc

Gangularis
also, i understand that his voice wouldn't have the same acoustic sound to it... as in rotj, since he's in a big open hanger as opposed to that smaller chamber like room... but i still think it doesn't sound much like him at all..

OB1-adobe
I think the guy who did the Orignal voice is dead, I think. Who cares, all of these movies still kick ass! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

Dr.Lee
Hi Gang,
Yes the movies do still kick butt even more so on dvd. BUT the Jabba in a new hope is really bad. I think the Jabba in Jedi is more professional you cant get that look with cg not yet anyway. One day they will perfect it but it is far from looking organic. The voice in jedi was awesome. Somtimes i think george just says a bunch of things about the star wars saga to cover up his dumb choices. I really enjoy listing to Ben Burt on the dvd comentary on all 3 films
PEACE
Dr.Lee

mephistodesigns
Ben talked too much, he practically had his own track to himself as much as he was yammering. I loved the Jabba scene. Now that he's bigger. And Jabba is suppose to be like a mob boss, and until you piss a mob boss off, he is like a business man. Han was a very useful smuggler. An assest to Jabba. Jabba wanted to try to fix the situation first, so that he could continue to make use of Han. Jabba warned, pay me back or I'll put a massive bounty on his head. And he followed through on that. What did you want Jabba to do? Kill him on sight? Uh-uh. No. You don't get to be the head of a huge criminal orginization like Jabba's by impulsively killing all your best people when they make a mistake. All Jabba was doing with Han was giving him a chance to smarten up and pay him. Once that bridge was totally burned, by Han never coming back, THEN Jabba decided to put the bounty on him because Han was obviously useless to him now, and wasn't coming back. Take Goodfellas, look how many times Henry Hill screwed up before Pauly finally turned his back on him. Same situation here. And that's why I love that scene, it makes him a calculating mob boss instead of just a big ugly monster.

OB1-adobe
Yep. Also don't forget the time frame (storywise) between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi. Alot can change in a charecter. If Anikan can change, why can't Jabba?

Red Superfly
Good point. I always thought that too.

It depends on whether you prefer either the pure villain, or the gangster Jabba.

That added scene does make him look more like the vile gangster he was supposed to be, because by ROTJ, he was just a baddie.

Jerico
Good point meph well said, my personal opinion has now been amended.

General Kaliero
Also, on the whole size issue...

Jabba's just a tad shorter than Han as he's slugging along. For some odd reason, that makes people think he has shrunk. Not the case.

Look at RotJ again. He's laying on a pedestal that's about two feet to two-and-a-half feet off the ground. Also, when Bib Fortuna is standing behind or beside Jabba, you can see that he is much taller.

It's not Jabba's size that's shrunk, it's his surroundings that have grown.

For his actions, I agree with Meph. That was my thought even from the '97 Special Editions.

My only problem with this scene is Han's final line.

"Jabba, you're a wonderful human being."

WTF? I realize that when they were acting, Jabba was human, but couldn't they have at least brought Ford in to do just one line for the DVD release?

PVS
jabba was just a big wuss in ep4, it makes no sense.
he looks and acts absolutely nothing like jabba in ep6...the REAL jabba that is.

i have a theory though:

the CG jabba is an imposter. Jabba doesnt like to leave his palace so he sends his gay cousin out to speak on his behalf.

OB1-adobe
It is suppose to be funny, Han is being a smart-ass

Mr Zero
thats the first thing ive read on this subject thats made sense.....

Morgoths_Wrath

yerssot
actually, the only thing I like about the whole deal of Jabba in ANH is that line

Jerico
It annoys me too, i thought, hmm they could cut it off so he just goes "Jabba..." like a threat. But then i was like, whoah ho that would be way to crazy nutso instant retribution style, but if Jabba was a sissy then sure.

mephistodesigns
Jabba was always going to be a creature added in later, that's why Lucas said he cut it. So calling him a human being was always going to be a joke, because he was always going to be a creature, I don't know if it was going to be the slug Jabba turned out to be, but it was supposed to be a big monster of sorts. They had that guy stand there in a fat suit to give Harrison a feeling of Jabba's girth, because they'd knew he was to be big.

As for size, I agree that he was never tall, but the 97 version, he was THIN, and that's the complaint about size. He's fat now, so I'm fine with size.

General Kaliero
Maybe my humor circuits are malfunctioning, but how is calling Jabba a human being possibly funny?

tpaquin
The way I see it, calling Jabba a wonderful Human Being essentially means that the best Human beings are as terrible as Jabba, or at least in Han's opinion, or It could simply be Han's simple unfounded cynicism.

I actually quite enjoy the scene, and Lucas says on the commentarry that he had always meant on putting a claymation character in instead of the furry guy, but it didn't look right.

Gangularis
rofl!!

i have to admit.. that's a pretty ****in funny theory.
I'm ready to buy into that one.

amity75
Does Han say the exact same lines to Jabba that he says to Greedo? "Even I get boarded sometimes" It's hard to tell if the Jabba scene has been dubbed or not but it sounds like the exact same voice tone doing both lines.

mephistodesigns
That's cuz they were recorded at about the same time, so Harrisson sounds the same. And I don't believe so, about the line. He does sort of rehash the concept, but it's not the same dialogue.

PVS
the line was in the jabba scene. lucas dumped the jabba scene and spliced the line into the greedo scene...originally...which worked just fine and needed no 'fixing'

mephistodesigns
godd**n mothaf***in' fixin'....

oh s**t, was that outloud? angel

mephistodesigns
whistle

PVS
here, i took some screencaps. these are not the same hutts!

http://img98.exs.cx/img98/8585/JABBA_COMPARE.jpg

Jerico
If only the ILM chaps had acess to that photograph... Tsk. tsk.

General Kaliero
*ROTFLMAO @ Jericho*

mephistodesigns
oh c'mon, they look close enough. Ones a model one is cg, they're close enough that we get it. I think that's a little too nitpicky

yerssot
I don't agree, if you're desperate to fix up a scene, you do it either right and perfect or hold down the feeling and do nothing

kegs202
Please for goodness sake get a grip.I love these movies with all my heart but to rip them apart and analyse every scene is ridiculous.Accept the fact that all movies have flaws and STAR WARS is no different.What was it that captured you in the first place? Think about it then think did i rip it apart scene for scene then? NO!!!!! Enjoy that galaxy far far away.....................I DO

yerssot
good for you... but you're not everyone, so if people feel the urge to mention 24/7 that that lightsabre luke has aboard the falcon is green for a second, let them and you can simply ignore it

PVS
please, if complaints about the films annoy you, dont read the thread.
nobody is putting a gun to your head, sitting you down at your computer,
and saying "READ THIS OR YOU'RE DEAD!!!"

mephistodesigns
I agree with him though, does it really detract from the scene that much for you? If it does, Im sorry. But that is a little sad. A big green slug looks like a big green slug to me. I get that the model looks different because it was there and the cgi one looks cgi. But it doesn't kill a scene for me. Guess I'm just a freak! wacko

PVS
guess you are stick out tongue

the cg version is a product of neglect.
if GL wanted to 'perfect' his OT, he should have done just that.
the ep1 and ep4 jabbas are done halfassed. the eyes are different, the nose, the mouth, the skin texture, his arms...everything is just different enough to not look like ep6 jabba.

if they really tried, they could have duplicated the skin texture and facial features exactly. look at yoda for christs sake! for ep2 they did a near-perfect job on him. there is no exuse for the way they screwed jabba up.

NoMeN
they could have done way better. they just took the episode1 jabba and slapped it over the old CG one

General Kaliero
Uh, sorry, but you may need glasses. The Ep. II Yoda doesn't look like the OT Yoda. He looks really, really good, but he does NOT look the same as the puppet.

PVS
the puppet is meant to look withered and old...or should i say the CG yoda in ep2 was meant to look younger. they gave yoda the proper skin texture, and even put a little of that ear-wiggle from the puppet yoda. they put love into their work when making yoda.

point is, i find it very convincing that the ep2 yoda would age into the ep5-6 yoda. now, the ep1 yoda just plain sucked ass, and is a perfect example of the halfass cut-corners work im talking about.

jabba may change with age, but how is it that his skin changes color and smooths out, his nose gets wider and his eyes seem actually less aged then the CG version.

they could have done a much better job. all they had to do was simulate the texture and look of the ep6 jabba, and they didnt. its like they just started from scratch and ended up with an entirely different hutt.

and on a side note, i DO wear glasses and my prescription is spot on

General Kaliero
Well, then, fellow glasses-wearer, are they smudged? stick out tongue

I see where you're coming from, but what's the point of complaining? Itr's not like any of us can chage it.

PVS
it makes me feel betterstick out tongue

General Kaliero
XD

Well, I suppose I can sympathize with that... ^_^;;

mephistodesigns
I do agree, I do think they could have done better. I just like the scene for the dialogue and character development it adds. But I can see improving it like yoda, as you pointed out.

mephistodesigns
he'll never look like the puppet. Its cg, we know its cg, it will always look different. But its still closer than they ever got building another puppet! big grin I think he's remarkably close. Probably the most detailed cg character I've ever seen.

Darth Sauron
I just noticed that, was that some error of some sorts?

PVS
sauron, it was yet another example of the halfassed manner in which they pushed the dvds out the door too quick. sometimes deadlines are a very bad thing.

yerssot
PVS beat me to it I see...

Jackie Malfoy
I think he looked like a blowen up Baloon to tell you the truth.Sure it was a good idea to have him in there.
But they could inleast had worked alittle harder in having him look the same like he did in "Return of the Jedi?"I mean come on.It was awful.
I guess it was better off if they did not do that part at all.Then most of us will be happy!JM Happy Dance mad

yerssot
Have you EVER seen the SE???

bushrules
the new CG jabba in a new hope on DVD was much better than the CG jabba in 1997 special edition! in 1997 he had blue skin ! who came up with that! jabba is supposed to have green and peach skin and red eyes! the ROTJ jabba is the best!

kalsolar
All this jabbering on about jabba. It's simple and plain for all to see. They got a reasonable likeness with the CGi Jabba, but the colour and skin tone was totally different to the one in ROTJ. Why?...well that's anyones guess, as they quite obviously could have made it the same if they had wanted to. But sometimes creative people just can't help but f*k about with things just to put their personal creative stamp on it without looking at the bigger picture. For a series that has been revised and updated twice now to make all the films have some sort of technical and artistic consistency...why they go and then add new inconsistencies just makes a nonsense of it all.

Red Superfly
Maybe the artist in question was colourblind and mistaken Jabbas reddish tint as yellow.

The same guy probably turned Lukes saber green and threw in the green snot sparks in ANH too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.