Nirvana

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

slasherpunk18
Okay,I know there was already a thread about this,nut i just wanna get a feel for how many Nirvana fans cruise around here.
The question I feel is the most important in the issue of Nirvana today is: were they overrated?
Because I have heard this around.
Does anybody else beleive this?
Because I,personally,don't.

Df02
criminally overrated

slasherpunk18
How so?

Df02
they got soo much attention and idolised and practically went down as legends...when they werent the best grunge band of the era by far!

you've also got people putting Kurt Cobain as 1 of the best guitarists, when he was nothing but average.
Dave Grohl being put as 1 of best drummers when he himself admits he's by far not the best...

and theyre just generally rated way too highly considering the music they made

slasherpunk18
You can't deny their huge influence though.

Darth Revan
As much as I love Nirvana, and they are one of my favorite bands, I must agree that they are overrated. They made great music, but beyond songwriting, Kurt wasn't a very great guitarist... And it's kinda sad how nobody realizes that this whole elevating them to godlike status thing is the reason Kurt shot himself.

slasherpunk18
good points.i still disagree with them being overrated though.But then again,that's my opinion.

Alice_In_Chains
roll eyes (sarcastic)

cauteriZed
who thinks it was courtney?

slashwristbarbi
I dont think Kurt was a great guitarist, but I read a quote that I agree with:

"A great guitarist? No. A man who did great things with a guitar? Yes"

I think part of the reason people consider them overated is because of Cobain's death, and I think that certainly did contribute a great deal to their status. But they wudnt have got that iof they didnt make great music, too.

pennyroyal
i dont know if anyones said that Kurt was a great guitarist ... people may have said that he achieved alot with the skills he had anyway i love nirvana but i do feel they are overated especially the nevermind album they did do alot for music and are huge influences but other bands from the 'grunge' movement are often overshadowed
and i believe kurt was murdered

Darth Revan
Kurt was on Rolling Stone's "100 greatest guitarists of all time" list. So yes, people have said Kurt was a great guitarist.

As for him being killed by Courtney Love, I've never believed it. And even if she had killed him, I don't think it's right for us to go prying into it. Kurt wouldn't have wanted it if he knew what was happening... There comes a point when it's best to just let things rest.

Ronny
he killed himself

i mean if i married courtney love i would commit suicide no expression

but yea nirvana is horribly overrated i still love em though

Spicy_Mchaggis
look, kurt was a horrible guitarist, their bassist(no one cares about his name) average, and dave grohl is possibly one of the worst drummers out there. i have a friend who's little 5 year old brother who can play better than him. i like nirvana but seriously courtney love killed kurt, get the **** over nirvana. im sick of people saying they are the best grunge band out there. first of all there not out there because there not a band anymore. find a new obsession.

SexyJacobSmith
no way ! nirvana should be said to be a marvellous rock band, they r so cool rock and kurt cobain is fit ! love

Deathblow
Oh purrrrlease roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm as pro-'Nirvana were overrated as hell' as the next person, but what your saying is just a little over the top. They were/are all very talented musicians. Kurt may not have been an amazing guitarist, but he wrote some spectacular riffs in his time, and his vocal style utterly original, emotive and spawned a generation of copycats. Krist Novoselic (that guy who's name no one cares about apparently) was excellent witn Nirvana. Just listen to Come As You Are. And anyone who can't see how talented Dave is needs to open their eyes and ears. He's a very good drummer, a more than competent guitarist, an above average vocalist and has an excellent track record. If you don't believe me, go ask Krist, Jack Black, Taylor Hawkins, Queens Of The Stone Age, Lemmy, Max Cavalera or any of the huge rockstars he's worked with.

Df02
he worked with Alec Empire which was going to be part of the probot thing, they recorded a track together (tear it out) but it got cancelled because Dave Grohl decided he wanted to put a band of classic rock legends together for probot....but he let Alec Empire keep the track and its on his Intelligence and sacrifice album

little bit of music trivia for you there

Nirvanagrunge
Yea...kurt cobain was a great dude...i mean back in the 80's all the songs were about happyness and money and girls.... nirvana was so huge cuz they were the 1st band to sing stuff about depressin and death and how much u hate ur rents...they did change the phase of music in my opinion... so dont argue with me. nirvana basically ended hair metal and shi*.... alson i think all the music form the late 60's to the early 90's was good and the rest just sux

Afro Cheese
Yeah they are overrated... too many people think they created the grunge sound when really they just commercialized it. They were a great band, but they get way too much credit especially after Cobain died.

They weren't the first ones to sing depressing grunge songs, they were one of the first but not the first. They were just the first ones to make it on MTV.

Red Superfly
Nowt wrong with Nirvana. They're a "bridge" band for many people, they have their place.

I mean "bridge" because they were popular, so people would buy Nevermind, because theri mates did it, and actually got into it, and went off pursuing their own tastes rather than following a trend. I know a lot of my friends forged their music tastes because of Nirvanas impact.

Nirvana being popular was a good thing - it made people look for "more of the same" and came across other similar bands, and would come across Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and so on. I know many people who would have never bothered with Pearl Jam without Nirvana providing that social "shove" in that direction.

Maybe Nirvana didn't deserve to be the band to "lead" it - I don't honestly care. It's too subjective and everyone has their own opinion on the matter, so I won't even bother. All I say is they did deserve it in my opinion.

<<Solo>>
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15718

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.