comic book origins vs thier movie origins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

urbin
when you look at a moive that adapted comics as their story dou you feel cheated when the screeplay writer changes the origin a little?

Red Superfly
Definitely.

For me anyway, the origin is something that should never be changed, because it is usually one of the most famous things about the character.

For instance, everyone knows that a radioactive spider bit Peter Parker. Yet in the movie he is bitten by a genetically engineered super spider, one of many in fact. Now I know it ain't that big a deal, but it always had a plot hole:

How come there wasn't more Spider-Men? Think about it. The reason why the spider bit Pete in the comics was because it was going to die, due to the radiation. In the movies, WHY does the spider bite him? It isn't dying, it's just an aggressive SOB. Now that has a knock on effect, because if there are 15 of these things, theres a damn good chance someone else will be bitten due to their nature. It makes even LESS sense than the comic origin. Stupid.

Same with The Hulk.

The notion that movie makers have to explain realistically why these superheroes exist is stupid - they are freaking superheroes! They fly, they stick to walls, they smash tanks, so why the heck would you try and make them realistic?

To me, The Hulk being created with a Gamma Bomb is a better explanation than the radioactive gene therapy thing.

There's no need to change the origin story. I've heard the arguements for changing the radioactive spider beacuse of it being a little "out-dated", but they should have had radiation in there somewhere.

A better origin would be to have one super spider, that escapes, and manages to get into a machine that exposes it to a new kind of radiation, then it bites Peter, and dies. One spider, that dies.

chilled monkey
I see your point, but still, I think that the revised origins are much better. They are more realistic, I mean if someone is hit by a nuclear blast, they are not going to get superpowers. Likewise, I doubt a radio-active spider would give anyone spider-powers. A genetically engineered one, however is just a bit more believable.

Gregory
But it's not. At least radiation can be transmitted; when something's genetically engineered, it's just ... genetically altered. We genetically alter things in the real world all the time; it may prove to be the key to fighting cancer. We eat genetically engineered food and, dispite the hysterical squalling of people who don't know any better, it doesn't harm us. A genetically engineer spider could no more alter DNA by biting somebody than I could.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.