Why are'nt horror movies scary anymore??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endenkton
I'm sorry but they just are not.Name one horror movie thats come out in recent years that was genuinely scary.

Evil Dead
1. unless you're under the age of 10 years old..........no flickering pictures on your tv set should scare you.

2. 28 Days later.

guille
I agree

BackFire
Most movies aren't "scary" but some are disturbing, however. If you want to see a movie that will disgust you and disturb you on a major level, check these out.

-Irreversible
-Salo
-Cannibal Holocaust
-Audition
-I Stand Alone
-I Spit on Your Grave
-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Imaginary
No horror movies I have seen have scared me yet

slayer
Most of the New Asge Horror Flicks released 2day are pieces of Recycled Garbage.

Zilverz
Here is my opinion on the matter:

The minds of the youth have not fully matured. So it is easier for them to feel involved in the movie. With age, your mind should mature. So some people run there mind on a seperate thread from the cinema. Never becoming attached/believing/assuming that you are there for the horror.

So i think people like that.. just Dont get scared over any movie.

Another reason is just large amount of poor horror movies

im 26, movies do not affect me as they did when i was 10. But a good horror film can still consume me into the main characters and location and be frightning. The only difference now is sometimes a completely insane, well done, scene gore/or not will give me a laugh insted of increasing the urine content in my jockeys

The Redeemer
I thought THE OTHERS, SESSION 9 and THE EYE dished up some genuine scares...as did the mid-70s BLACK CHRISTMAS which I saw for the first time rather recently.

eggmayo
unfortunately i got into my head at a very young age that the pictures on the telly cannot harm you, therfore i know they are fake and cannot get very involved in horror movies sad it sucks

Turbo-Cajun
Desensitization... the shear numbers of deaths, dead bodies, murders etc. that we see on tv make us numb to a lot of the violence we see in horror movies. I've quit going to them... its a waste of cash, now I just wait till someone I know gets them on dvd and I borrow it from them.

Well horror movies aren't supposed to be violent but more scary and horrific, but violence is critical to that in a lot of the stuff I've seen. If the violence doesnt have its desired impact... its just kind of lame.

Phoenix Aska
I guess it's because....people nowadays have already seen the worst that can happen in a scary movie...the only thing scary in movies now are the loud sounds....
Also...most ideas of a scary movie have already been taken...so most movies seem to be a copy of an original...

eggmayo
it would be very hard to bring out a genuine original movie nowadays.
however, with terrorism and other violence on the news all the time, i think people may be getting used to it, and for that reason nothing in films can genuinely scare anymore

Phoenix Aska
Except for an outbreak of small pox in the United States!!!

That would scare me....

deadly_force
i think its cause of the way the world is now people are used to murders accuring almost every day so we arent shocked easy anymore like in the 70s there was a film called straw dogs that was banned in britain for many years i watched it a couple of weeks ago and i coudn't see any reason for it to get banned apart from a rap scene and i wasnt shocked by that in fact it was very poor. thats what i think anyway

Phoenix Aska
yeah...back in the old days...producers didn't want to show nudity in their movies...now look at them....

Evil Dead
Actually........

there was more nudity shown in films in the 70s and 80s than you will ever see today. Not just in the horror genre......but in all genres across the board.

Perfect example. Look at teen comedies from the early eighties........Porkies, Private School, etc. Compare those films to movies today of the same genre like American Pie and Not Another Teen Movie. It's not even close. You saw more beaver in Porkies than you will see in all movies combined that premiere in the next 5 years. If you take the movie Private School and edit it down to only ***/nude scenes........the movie would still be an impressive 30 minutes long.

When it comes to horror........you will never see another movie like I Spit on Your Grave. Can't do it now.

PS. I can't believe *** is filtered out on this board........talk about somebody using rather large brush to paint the term "foul" language. What's next, are hooters and knockers going to be filtered too?

Phoenix Aska
Really??? I didn't know that...I can swear that there are more movies with sex and nudity now...the modo for this decade--sex sells!!!

Evil Dead
nah....

90s and 2000s is "implied sex sells"...........when's the last time you saw a full on frontal beaver shot in a studio film?.......or atleast 15 nude scenes in a studio film?.......

it's all about the tease these days. You're lucky to get even 2 nude scenes in a single movie these days.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.