Christopher Reeve dead at 52

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheFilmProphet
'Superman' star Christopher Reeve dead at 52
Paralyzed actor was advocate for spinal cord research

Monday, October 11, 2004 Posted: 2:07 AM EDT (0607 GMT)

After a riding accident left him paralyzed, Reeve worked for spinal cord research.

BEDFORD, New York (AP) -- Christopher Reeve, the star of the "Superman" movies whose near-fatal riding accident nine years ago turned him into a worldwide advocate for spinal cord research, died Sunday of heart failure, his publicist said. He was 52.

Reeve fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home, his publicist, Wesley Combs, told The Associated Press by phone from Washington, D.C., on Sunday night.

Reeve was being treated at Northern Westchester Hospital for a pressure wound that he developed, a common complication for people living with paralysis. In the past week, the wound had become severely infected, resulting in a serious systemic infection.

"On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband," Dana Reeve, Christopher's wife, said in a statement. "I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

Enduring months of therapy to allow him to breathe for longer and longer periods without a respirator, Reeve emerged to lobby Congress for better insurance protection against catastrophic injury and to move an Academy Award audience to tears with a call for more films about social issues.

He returned to directing, and even returned to acting in a 1998 production of "Rear Window," a modern update of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced a neighbor has been murdered. Reeve won a Screen Actors Guild award for best actor in a television movie or miniseries.

"I was worried that only acting with my voice and my face, I might not be able to communicate effectively enough to tell the story," Reeve said. "But I was surprised to find that if I really concentrated, and just let the thoughts happen, that they would read on my face. With so many close-ups, I knew that my every thought would count."

In his public appearances, he was as handsome as ever, his blue eyes bright and his voice clear.

"Hollywood needs to do more," he said in the March 1996 Oscar awards appearance. "Let's continue to take risks. Let's tackle the issues. In many ways our film community can do it better than anyone else. There is no challenge, artistic or otherwise, that we can't meet."

In 2000, Reeve was able to move his index finger, and a specialized workout regimen has made his legs and arms stronger. He has also regained sensation in other parts of his body.

TheFilmProphet
please move this to Movie Stars and celebritites

Ronny

Crash Overload
What? but.. but.. wasn't Superman Already Dead? I herd it on "Entyertainment Tonight" a couple of years ago that The First Superman, in he Black And White Movie was Shot, and Died..

But I fully know who CR is, and how he was paralyzed from falling off a horse...

Whoever, I do not see him as an icon of hope, or that you can stil accomplish things even thought you are disabled / paralyzed, because he is a Millionaire, and got better then the best treatment you can get, adn was living in total comfort and more.

BackFire
http://www.maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=creeve

TheFilmProphet
Thats not right mad

BackFire
Read it, it's good stuff.

Ronny
hysterical

Crash Overload
What!? you mean I missed an Article he has written!?

TheFilmProphet
What the fuc* is your problem. mad

BackFire
Oh shit, well excuse me all to hell for posting a link.

So the guy was crippled. Who cares? Doens't make his death any more tragic than anyone elses.

It sucks he died, I wish he didn't, but I'm not going to act as if his death is more tragic then one of the thousands of children who surely died today in car accidents, murder, drownings ect.

Again, read the article, it's funny and informative.

TheFilmProphet
The point is insulting and making fun of a paralysed man is bad enough but a DEAD MAN now thats just plain fuc*ed up!! mad

Crash Overload
Movie Star Are Over Rated, getting Payed Millions to act pretty, Actors Should all die... even thought I wanted to be an actor...

BackFire
That article was written over a year ago, before he was dead.

Again, read the ****ing article before passing judgement on it. It makes valid points.

Just because a guy is crippled doesn't mean he's above criticism.

Crash Overload
Lets Dig up Hitler's GRave and Urinate on his dead roten corps!

TheFilmProphet
Fine the article is old. But why discuss this hours after the man just died?

BackFire
Because it relates to the topic of discussion and people should realize he wasn't the great wonderful guy that he's painted as.

TheFilmProphet
Whether you hate him or like him its just not right to do this now after he died or at least not hours after he did.

m!$hA
how many times do we have to read this

Crash Overload
I don't know.. you decied, you can Either Read it or not.

TheFilmProphet
I never want to read it again.

Crash Overload
watch the reeves elvis hoax.... reeves ain't dead!

typing with one hand.... eating...

TheFilmProphet
Not funny.

Crash Overload
Actually I rather not think of that, Beacseu if a dead Superman COmes back to life, as a Zombie, then there is No Stopping him, Not even with Kryptonite... or a Horse...

Crash Overload
Oh Come on, Life is a Joke, and If you can make a hard moment lighter by TRYING to say something funny, then go at it.

TheFilmProphet
That doesn't work for me. I either get sad about someone's death or just don't think about it.

BlackC@t
What is wrong with you people!? the man is crippled and just died, so show some ****ing respect.

TheFilmProphet
Exactly. Finally someone sane in this thread.

BlackC@t
Death is no laughing matter guys. Ever heard of something called respect for the dead?

By the way, I loved the Superman movies!

TheFilmProphet
Thats what I tried explaining earlier. Thanks Blackcat for backing me up.

I also love the Superman movies!

Crash Overload

BackFire
Uh huh, this coming from the person who made a joke about the death of the jews in the holocaust. You sure got respectful quick.

Crash Overload
Correction about the death of a man that showed you can still "live" with Millions of dollars.

I bet if you ehrd that a 52 year old paralyzed man died you wouldn't care all that much.

As i said before, actors are overrated.

Crash Overload
What he said.

TheFilmProphet
I have always had respect for the dead unlike other people.

Crash Overload
Dude, I have respect for the dead, just not people who basked in there millions being a placibo for hope.

AND WHY IS IT THATS OEMTIMES MY POSTS END UP BEING !?!?!?!?

TheFilmProphet
Don't seem like it. wink

Crash Overload
Did you even read what I just said? And your forgetting you own holocaust thing?

TheFilmProphet
Backfire was talking about Blackc@t not me. wink

TheFilmProphet

TheFilmProphet
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/user_sigs/customsig_41296_Xt.gif

TheFilmProphet

moonwalker741
sig....v

Eöl Moriedhel
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Superman is dead......

TheFilmProphet
Nice sig.

We will always miss him.

BlackC@t
I knew someone would bring up the jew thing. BUt what I was getting a was how much trouble I was in, not how funny the joke was on KMC ninja

BlackC@t
The joke I said was childish and immature, which I take back. But BF I don't remember you taking back what you posted. I always use to think highly of you but somewhere along the track things just went wrong......

TheFilmProphet
I agree.

One of the greatest men ever, Christopher Reeve.

BlackC@t
Tch.........lets not go nuts..........

TheFilmProphet
What?

BlackC@t
I don't really think he was one of the greatest.........

TheFilmProphet
Its a matter of oppinion.

Mighty Yoda
he will be missed

TheFilmProphet
Indeed

Havoc470
it was only a matter of time, i hate to see him go along with the thousands of other celebrities these past years, but it happens all the time, except he was famous

TheFilmProphet
Yeah but I didn't think it would be this soon.

TheFilmProphet
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/chris-reeve-movies/tribute-sherffius21.gif

TheFilmProphet
http://www.capedwonder.com/index_files/dreams.jpg

TheFilmProphet
One more

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/images/chris-reeve-movies/chris-reeve-inmemory.gif

TrAnCeDuO
yeah i know this is fairly old but i dont really care.

big grin

D-Double
A Samurai would not mock the dead.

TheFilmProphet
You have some sick fuc*ing issues!! mad

He was a great man!!!

Daedalus
Look, the guys dead, its a shame, he made some good movies, he will be missed.

But I agree with Crash, actors are overrated.

Other people die ALL THE F*CKING TIME! I don't see threads getting made for every single one of them, and their deaths weren't exactly peaceful or painless.

Look, I may seem that I don't care that this man is dead, but what does aggrivate me is that this guy gets loads of sympathy while other people are dying, slowly, and painfully as we speak and nobody seems to care about THEM.

The man is dead. Now let him rest.

shellie
actors are highly over rated...most of them are so fake . its my personal opinion though that Christopher Reeves was one of few who were not . infact you never heard much mentioned of his name till after his accident that left him paralized.....

he was someone of strong character . i was impressed that he was making so much progress in moving when the doctors told him it wouldnt happen...as im im pressed with others who accomplish the same....but i thnk he helped to brighten a dem light on a disability that some people hadnt known much about . not to mention the hope he sparked in people with the same disability .

he was an awesome man and deserves respect .

D-Double
Most actors are overrated. The good ones are not, obviously. To me a great actor is something like the best psychologist. One with the ability to understand, address the human Psyche. While duplicating and presenting it in the most profound way. I think, aside from the fame and fortune, that is why actors are so respected.

Even though many can't see past the cape, Christopher Reeves was a great actor. Not only for how he presented Superman, but how he presented Clark Kent and the duality between the characters. It's a slice of life to those who look hard enough.

I personally will mourn the passing of anyone who has touched me emotionally. I would like to tell the world how they effected me and how they will be missed. But, I'm assuming people like yourself don't give two sh*ts for someone in my personal world. Although, when someone who is respected / loved world wide dies, I'm compelled to share my feelings with others who mourn the loss.

We put Christopher Reeve's body to rest, but not his memory. Please do not be annoyed by our emotion, because we are only human and do the best we can to deal with death.

Daedalus
I've read this entire thread, and I don't see alot of mourning going on, there are people like yourself and TFP who genuinely care, but the rest are just b*tching at each other about it.

Thats why I said let it rest because a topic like this will no doubt cause friction among members.

TheFilmProphet
Thank you for those warming words D-Double. roll eyes (sarcastic)

We will never foget him http://www.movies-by-actor.com/christopher_reeve.jpg

TrAnCeDuO
samurai can do whatever the hell they want. who said they were restricted to bushido? some never cared about it at all. besides after a small revelation im in desperate need to change it.

but anyways yeah i know i shouldnt mock the dead but for celebrities i dont really care because they are all a bunch of spoiled S.O.B's and just social icons that you are stupid enough to drool over.

TheFilmProphet
We are not drooling over anyone, we are only respecting and mourning someone who we admired as a person and individual because of what he stood for.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.