Ben Burtt

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Natch
Ok No offence to the guy as he did good sound effects but bloody hell he was annoying in the audio commentaries.I mean he had to explain every single noise when we could of heard Carrie Fisher or Lucas talk.

Does any else find this guy annoying?

btw this is my first post sorry to start of on a bad note

yerssot
not a bad note to me... I have to agree, I found the commentaries overall rather disappointing, only Kershner held it from being a complete disaster, ROTJ is already not the best SW movie there is and when Burtt (with a rather monotone voice, he can't help it though) went on and on about some sounds (it IS interesting, but it was long and that voice!) I fell asleep

queeq
Burtt was fun for a while, but I agree... in ROTJ it got kinda stale and boring. In ESB Kershner was so awesome that I couldn't be bothered by his commentaries, but alongside boring GL in ROTJ... that was too much

Natch
why wasnt the director of Rotj on the commentarie?

queeq
He's dead.

Natch
oh ok.sorry if I offended anyone

queeq
No offense, just a fact.

mephistodesigns
I got so twitchy after the commentaries, I felt like every wierd noise I heard was gonna be followed by a drab explanation of its origin. I mean, in ANH, cool. We get to hear how innovative he was. Once you get to Empire, you're like, all right, this is gettin' old. And by ROTJ, I was ready to mute him every time he came on. The only thing stopping me was I didn't want to miss any good info from the other members. If Dennis Muren has talked as much as Ben Burtt, I'd a been a little more happy.

amity75
I just felt sorry for Carrie Fisher. She sounded like a female Ozzy Ozbourne. Drugs are bad kids.

OB1-adobe
Must be all the BOTOX

amity75
I was very disappointed in the commentaries. I thought Fisher would have been much more funnier and they should have got Mark Hamill involved, if only for his impersonation of Harrison Ford.

mephistodesigns
I know, I can't believe he wasn't on there. I did like that bit Carrie said about the party before the day they filmed the Bespin landing scene, where she, Harrison, Eric Idle, and others where all getting drunk (amongst other things, I'm sure) with the Stones. That was crazy.

cylob49
I like Ben Burtt if only for the look on his face after the first private showing of PHANTOM MENACE at the ranch..........he doesnt have to say a thing there...........most of us know EXACTLY what he was thinking.

queeq
laughing out loud Yeah, that was good.

I liked Carrie. And I'm not sure if it's just drugs and stuff that made her sound like that. I heard she's a very much in demand script doctor in Hollywood. Maybe she had to get drunk to do the commentaries... laughing out loud

Well, I think Kershner made up for all the dreary commentaries scattered about here and there. I would have loved to have MArk Hamill on board. The documentary Empire of Dreams would have been quite boring without him.

mephistodesigns
what's the story with the pic of Burtt watching Episode 1? I've never seen a pic or heard anything about that....

amity75
He's got a fixed smile on his face and is trying hard not to look like "I've just sat through 2 hours of rubbish"

cal31
Could you post that pic? I've never seen that before.

queeq
It's on the DVD... THe Making of... doc. "The Beginning".

That first viewing is quite embarrasing, great though that they included it in the doc.

cal31
The Phantom Menace DVD?

queeq
Of course... That IS Episode I isn't it.

cal31
you just said the dvd, there's more than just one dvd out there you know

queeq
We were talking about this post... roll eyes (sarcastic)

cal31
WOW

Altar[1stONE]
carrie always seems like she has gas or something. did you see empire of dreams, it looked like she was going to puke.

tpaquin
She really looks terrible.

Of course, so do the others. They're getting pretty old.

mephistodesigns
when 900 year you reach, look as good you will not!! laughing out loud

Altar[1stONE]
lol god, i cant believe this bloated vomital mass was once that hot skippy slave girl. and in that comic .com interview she said "i tell my great grand daughter, you see that body your going to get that body". That kid needs to blow her brains out. pass the booze leia and shut your pie hole.

mephistodesigns
See kids....uh....you shouldn't smoke....cuz smoking's bad...mmm k.
And....uh....you shouldn't drink....cuz drinkin's bad...mmmmm k.
And....uh....you shouldn't do drugs....cuz drugs are bad...mmmmm k.

Altar[1stONE]
lol

Altar[1stONE]
i just watched esb and rotj with the commentary on, i really enjoyed irvins explanation of what was going on in a certain scene. but for crying out loud ben burtt, you guys hit this one on the nose. Every little tweek , or snap of a branch the guy had a 15 min long story behind it.

yerssot
he sure does have a nice explanation ... try watching it when you're tired, you'll fall asleep

phlizmo
This is very funny because I listen to the comentaries only for Ben Burtt. And of course for other little bits of movie making trivia. But hey I myself am a sound effects editor.. The guy is my hero. but I can totally understand being bored to tears. You have to be into it otherwise im sure its quite boring. Im sure some clothing designer wished there was some comentary on all of the costumes. Of course we know that wasnt included cuz it woulda been boring as hell.

Phliz

Red Superfly
Am I the only one who thinks Ben Burtt totally screwed up the Anakin vs Dooku duel?

I mean, watch the bit where the lights go out and we see the red and blue showy bit where Dooku and Anakin duel in the dark.

Where are the saber clashes? They are swinging them, but because there's no sound effects it just sounds like they are dancing around each other - it makes that whole scene possibly the worst I have seen in a Star Wars duel. In fact I hate the ending duels in AOTC full stop.

Anyone else notice this (intentional?) f**k up?

phlizmo
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Am I the only one who thinks Ben Burtt totally screwed up the Anakin vs Dooku duel?

Anyone else notice this (intentional?) f**k up?

Well Lucas did mention that he wanted a more abstract feel to the duel.. Im positive its not the sound editors fault for that decision. It was Lucas's vision to make it weird and surreal.. Dont blame Burtt man!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.