What Might Have Been....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef3
EIII has not even come out yet, and sadly, i am already wondering "what might have been" with the prequel trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the climactic battle between obiwan and anakin will be everything we had hoped for, but i fear that will be the ONLY 20 minutes of the prequel trilogy that lives up to everyone's dreams.

the prequel trilogy could have been SO MUCH BETTER. lets say GL HAD done TPM exactly as he had... AOTC could have been SOOOO much better! I just watched all of the clone wars cartoons for the first time today and i have to say, THAT is exactly how i imagined AOTC would be. Jedi fighting Wars along side the clones the whole time. And I was thinking, AOTC would have been so much better of a movie if the final battle had panned out on alderaan, instead of geonosis. Clone wars cartoon #8, the one where the the clones are fighting the droids on speeders, they have lances, just like the old knights, led by obiwan kenobi in CLONE ARMOR!!!! OH MY GOD! I was watching what I had always wanted to see. The creators of the clone wars cartoons should have been in charge of TPM and AOTC.

I guess this isnt really a EIII thread perse, but I am wondering if there is any hope for EPIII to meet the expectations that EI and EII failed. Will GL be "inspired" by the clone wars cartoons to change his vision any?

And what about the future? EII was shot completely digitally. Wouldnt it be GREAT if some day, for "achival editions," GL decided to get rid of the whole geonosis thing and make battles like the ones in the clone wars cartoons? Of course that would never happen...... unless we started a petition on a scale greater than any ever before....

eleveninches
the prequals were star wars movies, not "how anakin became darth vader" movies. accept them for what they are and they seem a lot better.

Ushgarak
Yeah... whilst they are imperfect in several ways, I cannot really accept bigsef's thrust that they should have been like the cartoons.

bigsef3
GL could have shown how anakin became vader MUCH better. If that is his argument, then why is anakin hardly in EI? And Obiwan has more screen time than he does in EII. The only thing EI does for the anakin/vader story is establish that anakin was ones a good little boy who "thinks nothing for himself." All EII did was show the conflict betweens anakins jedi life and his love for padme. It also showed his arrogant nature, and showed his hatred emerge. AOTC was better than TPM, but TPM is a complete and utter waste of a movie when it comes to developing the anakin character. TPM was a movie showing how events played out for palpatine to rise to power. nothing more, nothing less.

Ushgarak
Actually, no, I agree with GL. Anakin being the angel of a boy he was in episode I I think was important characterisation. I just disagree that he had to be that young for the bond with his mother to work, is all.

eleveninches
The point is that episode one was NOT meant to be an anakin movie, it was meant to be a star wars movie. after all, the original trilogy were not exclusively luke skywalker movies

bigsef3
no, but luke was the central character of the OT in EVERY movie. Anakin is not the central character of TPM, he is roughly equal with obi-wan in AOTC, and he sure as heck better be the central character of ROTS (revenge of the sith hehe).

The main reason anakin's character is so weak in TPM is b/c he was played by a crappy 10 year old actor. If he, as ush suggested, had been played by hayden christensen in all three movies (including TPM), the movies would flow much better and his character could have been fleshed out more in TPM. as it is, we are "introduced" to anakin in two movies, which was a MAJORLY flawed move. If he had been roughly the same age as luke when "discovered" by the jedi, it would have allowed for better parallelism between their lives and added weight to yodas claim that luke was too old to be trained.

eleveninches
I think the prequals are as much about obiwans failure as a teacher as they are about anakins failure as an apprentice

bigsef3
too bad we dont see enough of the teacher/padawan relationship between the two.

Ushgarak
I think Jale Lloyd did fine with the material he was given.

GL says that he made Anakin that young to accentuate the pain of leaving his mother, That is his creative interpetation, and whilst a Luke age would have been too much I think a more John Connor sort of age would have worked just fine for the mother bond and come across better to people as well.

eleveninches
can't really blame jake lloyd, he's just a kid.
they should have written a better part for him

RobBo
What an incredibly shallow point of view. Your entire thread is based on preconcieved misjudgement.

yerssot
in my list, there is still one movie that's worse stick out tongue

Lames.s.
A very suttle point of Episode I was to show that Obi-Wan really wasnt ready to train a padawan, especially one as powerful and with as many issues as Anakin. He was kind of dumped by Qui-Gon as soon as he was told that Anakin would not be trained to be a Jedi. You see that he is clearly surprised when Qui-Gon offers to take Anakin as his padawan, kinda like "o.k......I am ready to take the trials".
I also believe that to some degree Anakin felt abandon by Qui-Gon when he died because he is the one who "liberated" him from slavery. I dont believe Anakin had as much respect for Obi-Wan as he did Qui-Gon because when they first met, he was only a padawan.

mindbugaling
i think that it was a complete mistake to put qui-gon in TPM, after all, Gl put his character in pretty late during pre production. His character wasnt needed at all. Obi-wan shouldve been involved with anakin from the begining. it shouldve started with obiwan beeing the central charcter in TPM, then ep.2 a mixture of obi/ani as the central characters, and ep. 3 ani being the central character.

Ushgarak
But QGJ was a very well made and played character, and without him Obi-Wan's characterisation as not being up to the jhob would never have happened.

eleveninches
They had to have quigon killed to give credability to darth maul, therefore showing how good obiwan must have been to defeat maul in single combat.

eleveninches
it set obiwan up as a top jedi knight

Lames.s.
I always thought the story would have flowed better had Obi-Wan discovered Anakin and decided to train him in secrecy.

Or going with the Phantom Menace.... after Qui-Gon is killed, the council still decides that training Anakin is too dangerous, so Obi-Wan trains him(to fufill his promise to Qui-Gon) in secrecy on Naboo. That way he could still hook up with Padme.

Ushgarak
Except Obi-Wan did no such thing!

QGJ was clearly portrayed as the better duellist.

yerssot
well, funnily enough, Pablo said in a recent hyperspacethread that QGJ will be shown as +/- essential in EPIII
he said this on march 3 (I'm not a member, so I got it from sithclan, translated from french):
"The SW fans will understand why the actions and choses of QGJ in TPM play a very important role in the events in the saga."

Lames.s.
Qui-Gon was into the "living force"

yerssot
you've been here for some time, right?
than you must remember some threads where it is said that all this "living force" stuff isn't really important stick out tongue

Lyn
That's exactly how I've always seen it. Obi-Wan took Anakin as his apprentice to fulfil his promise to Qui-Gon, Anakin wasn't the motivation for it, if that makes sense. Obi-Wan almost feels betrayed.

The tension between the two is shown clearly in Clones. Anakin feels supressed by Obi-Wan, pretty much blaming him for his mother's death. The bond Anakin shared with Qui-Gon was very different to the relationship he has with his master.

LandoSpeeder
"What Might of Been, What Will BE, What Is".

jedijunky1138
This thread has been dead for 8 months!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.