What does Water Taste Like?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Samurai Guy
My family and I were discussing this over Thanksgiving Dinner on Sunday.

Does water have a taste?

MarioX
yes

it tastes like aquafina

Samurai Guy
Or Dasani... laughing

No, but for real... does it have a taste?

Thorondor
Everything has a taste so yes.

lil bitchiness
It has no taste.

Unless its poluted, then it tastes like something you cant quite put your finger on...then you die.

*Georgina_A*
I'd say yes messed

Telperaca
Water does have a taste, but it's just pure you can't really compare it with anything!
laughing out loud

Alias Neo
it does have a taste, nothing else in the world tastes like water, except water, so water's taste is unique meaning it has a taste!

lil bitchiness
By that logic it tastes like nothing.
If nothing else in the world tastes like water, apart from water, then it has no taste apart from its own, thus it is tasteless.

Samurai Guy
Very good answer... but is that the only way we determine taste is by comparison?

Alias Neo
most things don't have a taste, but the they usually taste like chicken

lil bitchiness
Not true, chocolate doesnt taste like chicken, neither do sweet stuff, neither do sour, or hot things.

Telperaca
Not exacly.

take honey for example, it's "sweet."

there is not way to descriebe water.
You can say it's cold/warm or whatever yout you can't really define the way it tastes.

The closest work i can think of at the moment is crystiline (right after you've brushed your teeth love

Telperaca
And I'm vegetarian, so please let's not go to the subject about chicken!

Thanks

lil bitchiness
Im sorry, but whats you being a vegetarian have to do with us talking about chicken? You dont eat meat, we have the right to talk about it.

WindDancer
Here is an answer ----------->taste buds.

Telperaca
Yeah, but it kinda makes me sick.
Just talk about it after I'm gone!

Crash Overload
Wait.... what forum si this thread in now?

unknownrocker
it has an undescribable taste therefore it tastes like nothing

Telperaca
Exactly.

Crash Overload
Ummmm no. First person to ever taste a peech, let him try to describ the taste to the population aside from Sugary.

Water has some sort of faint metallic / blood taste to it.

Samurai Guy
All of the minerals in water form up the taste. Iron, Zinc, etc. etc.

There is a taste... but it is hard to say anything aside from "Bland or Refreshing"

WhiteEagle
Yeah, if there is a taste it's the minerals in the water. I had some uber-distilled water a while ago. No added minerals, just pure h2o. It was completely tasteless and kinda made me feel sick as I was drinking it. Go the minerals. wink

BackFire
Good question....water always just tasted like liquid air to me.

MC Mike
Yes, it has a taste. Apricots taste like nothing else, chocolate tastes like nothing else, and chicken tastes like nothing else, althougth we are misled into believing that is not the case. stick out tongue

lil bitchiness
hah. Maybe cos in reality, thats all it is.

KidRock
in reality water is 1 part hydrogen 2 parts oxygen so yeah it sorta is like liquid airl eek!

Here is kidrocks theory on water..

it is like purgatory.. its ok..its not bad..but its not good.. its just ok. (from family guy)

lil bitchiness
Nope, you're wrong.

When you say ''tastes'' we usually mean one of our taste buds, which are sweet, salty, sour, and bitter.

Water isnt either.

MC Mike
Ah, I see what you're saying. But I consider anything has a taste, even if we cannot taste it. erm

Lianslo
I don't think water is supposed to taste like anything, if its pure it should be tasteless...but a lot of our water isn't perfectly pure, and therefore tastes like something.

dave123
no it doesn't, it doesn't stimulate any chemical receptors on the tounge no

lil bitchiness
Exactly happy

mad dave go to sleep! mad

Raz
What category would something like boiled white rice go under? blink

dave123
*runs out of the thread before milla catches him* eek!

anyway chaps (love that word droolio) i need an early night....

sweet dreams all winkiss

lil bitchiness
Rice is somewhat sweet, big grin try eating it on its own, and you'll see.

dave123
*sneaks out of bed*

its cos of the glucose and sugars yes

*sneaks back* sleep

lil bitchiness
Yeah happy indeed.

*galres at dave* sleepy! nowy!

Raz
Really? Tastes a bit like water to me stick out tongue

shaber
Distilled water has no taste.

Water can be given flavour by pete or minerals being dissolved in it.

mc pee pants
depends on what's in it. flavored water sure have taste.

Punkyhermy
I LOVE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

m!$hA
of course it has a taste.
it tastes like water messed
theres no other way to describe it. its like saying: what does chocolate taste like? chocolate.
what do strawberries taste like? strawberries

Samurai Guy
That really answers nothing, Misha

Kosta
I dont think it has a taste, more of a texture.

m!$hA
does water have a taste:
yes messed

lil bitchiness
Dont be so awkward stick out tongue it tastes bland, because it was boiled in water stick out tongue otherwise, it seriously tastes sweet smart

Syren
I answered no, but then I figured that Misha's logic was pretty cool, and made sense to me. Water tastes like water, chocolate tastes like chocolate and so on. So water has a taste, it just doesn't taste like something you can put a name to. That doesn't mean it tastes like nothing........

JToTheP
I agree with Kerry, and misha's logic. smile

Mr Zero
I wish i'd been online yesterday to kick your ass for posting such bloody nonsense. "if something is unique it does not exist"

silly bugger.

lil bitchiness
Ah but no.

Chocolate tastes sweet. Chicken is salty. WE have taste buts which are salty, sour, sweet or bitter. <---water is neither of these, thereofre, how can have a taste if it tastes like nothing we can(physically) taste?

Samurai Guy
Nothing tastes like anything else. Everything has its own disntinct taste. There are always various adjectives you can use to acticulate the taste of anything.

IE Peanut Butter is sticky, creamy, and salty.

lil bitchiness
Again, refer to my reply.

Water is neither sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and everything else that has a taste has some of those componants, thats why we can taste it.

Water is not sweet, sour, salty or bitter, therefore we cannot taste it.

Samurai Guy
We posted at the same time, I did not read yours prior to responding. I apologize.

I understand the logic behind your response, and I do agree to an extent, however there are certain minerals that give water a distinct taste.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, that was rather stupid reply. messed I didnt actualy mean that, i dont even know why i posted it

Anyway, dont call me bugger, i just receantly learened whats it original meaning messed

Daedalus
Hey Milla love

Mr Zero
Water has more tastes than almost anything else - glossing over the obvious fact that seawater tastes like salt you are still left with that fact that fresh water is as much a product of it's environment as, say, honey is dependant on the flowers its made from. Islay in scotland has a water that tastes so much of the rich dark peat of the island that the whiskey they make there is unlike any other - it tastes the way smoke smells.

Down in glastonbury somerset is the chalice well - the mythical resting place of the holy grail - the natural spring that feeds the well is chalybeate in nature - the rock that the water flows over builds up iron deposits and is a rich russet red. On a summers night when the air is cool and the water is warm the heavy iron water tastes so much like blood it can be quite scary to drink. Unless you like that kind of thing in which case..... yum.

Mr Zero
My apologies - I was having a hugh grant moment.

Samurai Guy
My apologies to you.

lil bitchiness
Its cool, i didnt mean to sound uptight or offended, but i did only receantly found out what the word actualy ment.

I think I'll go google the water taste now.

zinh
Uh no I like chicken so lets not bring up that subject about eating only veggies stick out tongue Oh yeah and I love bloody red pulsing BEEF yum.

Water is water. Drinking water always has a taste and its usually the flourine or whatever the put to clean it.

Distilled water taste bitter to me if thats the right word.

eleveninches
water tastes like water

m!$hA
yay someone agrees with me happy
i dont feel so ... brainless now embarrasment

m!$hA
spankyou naughtysmart

m!$hA
so is the question
"what does water taste like"
or
"does water have a texture"

texture and taste are totally different things erm

LordMortis
if you live in middlesbrough, water tastes like lead (seriously lol). but water, im sure has a taste but no-one can put there finger on it. It's like the old age proverb:

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

basically, if water tastes like water, and there's nothing else to compare it to, does it have a taste?

im confusing myself now so im going to bed confused

m!$hA
of course it has a taste erm
its like if someone made a new genre of a movie. its not comedy, not romance, not horror, not anything ... would it still be a movie?
just because it doesnt taste like anything else it doesnt mean it has no taste.
its like air. we cant see it, nor can we taste it, but its still a thing messed

TheProgramSmith
I see both sides of the argument, however I feel you are being a little too literal in judging Samurai Guy's rebuttle.

As he said, there are many different adjectives that can be used to describe a taste. However, I see little to any that can describe the taste of water. It is neither salty (unless it is salt water), sweet, bitter nor sour.

PVS
im suprised that no one has brought up the fact that we are made entirely of water. its part of what we are, so why would it have a taste? plus, water is always in your mouth. you are tasting water 24/7/365 because of your saliva. its just part of what makes your mouth...work.

so imho, to ask 'what does water taste like' is like asking 'what does your tounge taste like' or 'what does the roof of your mouth taste like'...well....it tastes like nothing

TheProgramSmith
Saliva is different then water.

PVS
fine, it also contains enzymes, which you dont taste

but its still water

Arachnoidfreak
Water tastes like the minerals it contains. Tap water with too much copper will taste like copper. Pure H2O will taste like...water.

Why can't water have it's own taste?

Syren
Holy shit man, you can't do this. And you know exactly what I'm talking about, TPS. PM me with your excuses, like asap miffed

Syren
Oh yeah, I am so sticking to my original idea that water has a taste, but because its taste is unique it has nothing we can actually compare it to, so we cannot give it an adjective description. That does not mean it has no taste, just that it doesn't taste like anything else......yet. Who in the world has tasted every single thing possible?

kofmaster
^^ WAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA WTF laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Samurai Guy
Thats dinner at the Sommers household.

kofmaster
WHAHAHAHA if my sis is cooking this is dinner at my place

*me throwing the food out the window to the dog and running o.o..*

Syren
Does no-one else notice?

Or am I cracking up? cry

Darth Revan
I don't know... water has a taste, but nothing else really tastes like water. And I have to agree with the idea that we define taste by comparison, at least partially. It's not spicy, or sweet, or sour, and it doesn't taste like chicken... So no, it doesn't really have a taste.

Syren
mad

NO! DR, it doesn't really have a taste that we can put a freakin' name to!!!!

Jackie Malfoy
It is strange becaues I am not sure what it taste like.It is hard to think of it.I guess it does not taste like anytlhing.
Which maybe why I don't like drinking it.If I had to choice between milk and water I would choose milk!Sorry I don't know the answear to that question.JM stick out tongue embarrasment smokin'

TheProgramSmith
noteOr are you paranoid? Or are you just stoned?note

laughing

Oh, Syren. You and your wild alligations. evil face And here I was under the impression that you missed me.

ClaraG
well duh, everything has a taste.

Syren
That is the simplest yet most poignant answer in this thread, impressive.

Silver_Blaze
You know the flavor of water = WATER yes

Fire
yea d'uhh

Silver Stardust
Water tastes like water. The only reason people think it doesn't have a taste is because there's nothing to compare it to. Water from different areas have different tastes, even though you can't always put a name to it.

Gundark
Water tastes like liquidated air.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.