Lightsaber question?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eleveninches
Do lightsabers have an on/off switch. i thought they were suppossed to, but then i realised that in the films, whenever somebody loses their lightsaber, it switches off as soon as it leaves their hand.
It cant be a jedi only thing, as han solo uses one, and luke uses one before he learns his force powers.

Ushgarak
Oh blimey, not AGAIN, Eleven!

Yes they have an on/off switch!

Dirty Vader
they switch off automaticaly when not held. Its security.
When vader throws his aber in ROTJ, its either becuase their's a setting on his saber that takes that security off, or because he used the force.

My guess is the first suggestion.

amity75
There must be some sort of safety catch. I can't imagine anything worse than it going off in your pocket.

Phoenix Jedi
so they have an on/off switch, but if theyre on and they leave your hand accidently, they go off, but if you use the force to throw it it stays on? i dont get it.

Baylin
A non-latching switch would do it.

Ushgarak
All you would need to do is also use the Force to keep it on...

angiethedragon
I've read in several novels of how a jedi locks the blade on in order to throw it

Baylin
Or a switch lock for those less talented....

Julie
there's also ones that can supposedly be turned on by using the force...that's strictly EU thought...I think in some of the YJK books. MEaning that the on/off switch is internal.

walkingcarpet
All sabers have an on/off switch, when Vader threw his in Jedi, he locked it on. This heature was built into a lot of sabers to prevent them accidentally turning off during battle.

walkingcarpet
feature*

walkingcarpet
Also, the sabers turned on by the force, for a little more about them, look in the book "The Crystal Star" by Vonda N. McIntyre

EliminatorJedi
Actually, Lightsabers have both features, it's said directly in the Essential guides that Lightsabers can be made with an internal or external switch. Most of the Episodes lightsabers had an on and off switch external, but if you look closely at a few, there was only knobs for focusing. It's said that in a Force throw, either the switch is downpressed manually to stay on or held down with the force. Generally it would be easier for the Jedi with a down press switch. That's why most go for the external.

EliminatorJedi
Actually, Lightsabers have both features, it's said directly in the Essential guides that Lightsabers can be made with an internal or external switch. Most of the Episodes lightsabers had an on and off switch external, but if you look closely at a few, there was only knobs for focusing. It's said that in a Force throw, either the switch is downpressed manually to stay on or held down with the force. Generally it would be easier for the Jedi with a down press switch. That's why most go for the external.

Delfedd
EliminatorJedi's right.

xeous
He must be right, he posted it twice.

Napalm
Im not completly sure But I think that you have to hold the button down to keep the blade on

.:Space Opera:.
"Do lightsabers have an on/off switch. i thought they were suppossed to, but then i realised that in the films, whenever somebody loses their lightsaber, it switches off as soon as it leaves their hand."

dont know, why does indiana jones' hat never fall off when hes being chased/punched/kicked/dragged/tortured/kissed/shot

its an impossible question

Phoenix Jedi
Good point XD.
EJ is right.
But back in the old times, when they had sabers made out of wood... you know, the time of Exar Kun... the Force was the "Energy Cell" of their sabers.

ArthasKnight
Well, Corran Horn's lightsaber that he gets in The Krytos Trap has a switch that you have to press twice in order to turn off the lightsaber. Maybe it's the same with some others.

Red Superfly
Maybe it depends on how they build them.

I mean, Vader is the only one who throws his saber in the movies. We also know the Sith use unorthodox techniques - such as throwing their saber. Maybe he modified the saber so that it would be useful for throwing.

Also, if Sidious throws his saber in the same way in ROTS, then we know how Vader learns it in the first place.

The Jedi have so far never thrown their lightsabers (fully ignited), and they seem to turn off very soon after leaving ones grasp.

Because lightsabers would be extremely dangerous out of a wielders hand, the Jedi designs probably had a safety feature like this. Makes sense. Could you see a Jedi using their lightsaber like that? Jedi's are defensive, so they have no use for the saber throw, and also it is a very aggressive, reckless ability, and could hurt someone innocent in the process. Like Force Lightning, throwing the saber is probably frowned upon by Jedi. Therefore - why would their lightsabers be designed to incorporate it?

Maybe Vader put a delayed "safety catch" on his lightsaber so that it would stay on a little while longer, long enough to throw it, but not long enough for it to lie on the floor burning a hole in the Death Star or such very important place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.