Doesnt this just suck?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
I have always had Ad Aware, SpyBot, Syngate firewall and some form of anti-virus running on my computer. I started out with the freebie Norton my comp came with which was excellent. When that ran out I switched at AVG but it kept missing things. SO last week I switched to McAfee. Lo and behold last night I find out that a %#$$@@# virus has completely wiped my D aka Recovery Drive. blink guess whos computer did NOT come with the XP discs? AND the friggen warranty ran out 2 months ago. Once I managed to get it uncrippled enough to run (not great but Im here) I downloaded and ran Norton. And looky looky! THIRTEEN FREAKING VIRUS'S ARE IDENTIFIED!!! mad mad And the final icing on the cake is that when I finally get the restore discs and get them running the ONLY way to fix this is to completely wipe my hard drive which is at this time 60% full of school things, cheerleading things, and my precious SW stuff. And I am gonna lose it all. crybaby

Moral of this story is never buy HP they SUCK and always use NORTON for your anti-virus needs. sad sad sad

Jedi Priestess
OOOPS sorry I had NO idea N&Q had a subforum for computer. Damn I need to get out more. messed

furryman
can you not burn your work onto CD, or be tedious and email stuff to yourself

Raz
Yup, backup and re-install.

Did you keep your virus definitions up to date? If so, you may have had a misconfigured virus scanner running.

You should test your virus scanner by using the harmless eicar test virus: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Jedi Priestess
ah but see theres the rub......apparently the part of your computer that allows you to copy stuff and burn onto a disk was located on the now wiped clean drive messed Im completely screwed. mad

Jedi Priestess
well on Tuesday my hard drive died a horrible death. SO I went out and bought a new one and installed that baby myself big grin
BUT this seems to make too much noise.....when I access my picture files its really noisy.........or so it seems compared to my old one.

Raz
As long as its not a rattling noise, then theres nothing you can really do about it.

Some of the cheaper hard drives tend to be louder than most.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.