What religion makes the most sense to you, and why?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Soth
Well, mine of course is agnosticism. I belive in it because all interpretations of a higher being on this Earth, regardless of religion, are corrupt and simply serve people's own ends. To try and know the mind of said higher being, or even to try and knowand analyze their ways, is sacriligious and a fruitless effort anyway. We can never begin to guess the motives, methods, philosophy or intentions of whatever created the universe.

Now you all try.

Mr Zero
Which is not a religion. Of course.

Cipher
The basic concepts of Taoism and Buddhism, stripped of the extraneous stuff that was added later on, makes sense to me.

Turbo-Cajun
buddhism isn't really a religion either... but if i were to choose I would say that that makes the most sense to me. Native Spiritual beliefs are very interesting to me, but difficult to believe or make sense of.

darktim1
I have to say buddah cannot heal so I believe in the bible and I believe we are living in the last days and that more war is comming to the middle after jesus comes gets church for now go with god.

Cipher
You're right, Turbo-Cajun, those are more philosophies than religions but they make the most sense to me right now...

Mr. Zero makes good point, as well.

HiddenPotential
christianity, cause its the best....obviously.

Jesus makes a great role model, though you might not live a long time, or be put in a mental home.

finti
What religion makes the most sense to you, and why?

laughing out loud laughing out loud ha ha

which is a suitable place for many christians

WhiteEagle
Although I'm an atheist I'd say the closest thing to a 'religion' as such that makes sense to me would be Zen Buddhism. Before I get attacked I know Buddhism isn't a religion in the traditional sense, more of a philosophy. I've always liked the ideas of buddhism, even when I was a catholic.

Imperial_Samura
I agree, technically I was born into a Christian community, but I have come to identify and really be influenced by Buddhist teachings, as a philosophy to both live and learn by. And in a way it does have religious aspects, although true the main part is very much philosophy, but still, in terms of a religion, it is the one I "connect" with..... although I guess I could also say I am something of a heretical Christian.....

finti
that you share with the entire chrisitan society

Imperial_Samura
Heheh, true perhaps, but I am happy to admit it.....

finti
they never will

eleveninches
Atheism is the religion for me. I know its not really a religion, but if I HAD to choose one of the religions, it would probably be buddism. Either that, or I would just make up my own religion to follow my individual beliefs.

finti
none, because they make no sense to me

eleveninches
Biggianthedgehogism.
It's the religion based around the great big giant hedgehog who lives in the sky and created the universe.

It makes more sense than most other religions.

eezy45
If you had to choose one, you couldn't just make up one on your own

I don't care how sensible my religion is; I am just a Christian and don't have any reasons to doubt my religion.

Turbo-Cajun
Shit, of course... everything makes so much sence now, it was a hedgehog, wow. Well, I'm converting... **** athiesm/agnosticism guys, this is a sure thing. All you need to do is donate 10% of you earnings annually Finti, Cipher, Lord Soth, Zero...and pray really hard and we'll all get into the great kingdom of the one giant hedgehog... praise him and the hedgehog will save you. In the kingdom of the hedgehog no one goes hungry for there are many nuts, berries, and roots for the faithful followers of gianthedgehogism. Spread the word! Rejoice!

WindDancer
I've always believe that religions do carry a certain link or philosophy with them since their respective origins. I just like their Philosophical ideas, their devotion isn't much of interest to me.

((The_Anomaly))
none, they might make sense sort of, the values i mean, but that dose not mean that they are true....

Lord Soth
It is a form of belief, which is what I meant anyway

Lord Soth
Okay, from now on, any sort of -ism counts as a religion in this thread.

Turbo-Cajun
okay... skepticism, because people are wrong about things all the time and you shouldnt believe everything you hear.

finti
beerism, cause a bunch of them actually do change you........................for awhile

Turbo-Cajun
I could see my self supporting beerism...

finti
see its growing already...bottoms up!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbo-Cajun
drunk

Ytaker
Shall we say that Atheism normaly entails Nihilism then? Or some other all encompasing statement like that. Don't kick two billion people, we have muscle builders to kick you back.

Ytaker
Beerism will easily fall beneath our perfectionisms.

Fiery Eyes
Well, i'm a christian, So, I believe in Jesus Christ. He's the only way to go for me.

Nazgulinthedark
um...my relegion makes the most sence to me...no expression

Darth Revan
Naz>I think the point of the thread is to tell people what your religion IS roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Zen Buddhism for me. I realize it's not really a religion, but if I were forced to follow any system of belief, that would be it... Being already 50% Buddhist helps too wink
Part of the reason is because at times, life seems to me like some kind of big, cruel joke. I've learned that I can't really trust anything/anybody but myself, and I prefer being able to fix problems on my own than having to rely on an outside source. Plus I have experienced what I believe is zen enlightenment for short periods of time... Doesn't happen a lot, but enough that it's given me reason to believe that it happens to the mind. Whatever it is.

Cipher
The giant hedgehog rules!

He (she?) is my role model....

finti
this was not my posting

but this was, and it was a joke aimed at the original poster.

if it is christianity you refer to as perfectionism laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

finti
beerism will win easily, we have many"sinners" from other religions among our ranks.

eleveninches
I'd prefer vodkaism to beerism

finti
that will only end up in barfism or as the self proclaimed cultured and profound would have said it "the philosophical art of vomiting"

Kohldia
I am glad to see another among us who feels as I do. I am a devout buddhist in mind and lifestyle. I have found my place in the circle which surrounds us and intend to stay within it so my next life shall be just as comfortable.

Turbo-Cajun
I would be a buddhist if it weren't for the part about no intoxicants... I have trouble with that part now, but maybe I'll looking into it more when I'm out of university.... for now I consider myself i devout beerist.

Gregory
Obviously, the religion that makes the most sense is the Church of the Subgenius

Punkyhermy
My religion does.

Nazgulinthedark
the thread's title is "what relegion makes the most sense to you, and why?"

i said what relegion made the most sense, mine.

the thread never asked me to tell what my relegion was, just which one made the most sense. roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

for anyone who cares, im Roman Catholic.

Andre 3000
my religion

Darth Revan
Well, it's just that when you say "my religion" and not everybody knows what your religion is, it kinda defeats the purpose... confused

Kohldia> Cool, I know there are several other Buddhists in here...

Syren
Is I'm afraid.

Anything that involves a belief in something, or a faith in a way of living is considered a culture or religion.

Agnosticism and Atheism are both considered a faith in nothing/no-one.

Syren
I used to consider myself agnostic, non God/Church believing, is that right? But now I'd say that I'm an atheist, simply because I've decided that I don't believe in the existence of a higher being at all. But I'm open to other theories, in fact different views do nothing but interest me.

Lord Soth
Yeah, that's about right.

Syren
*feeds brain cell a cookie*

Lord Soth
laughing

Syren
big grin

Darth Revan
Actually no, the dictionary defines a religion as belief in a god or supernatural power... confused

Syren
Ah bugger erm

I had this discussion time and time again with my tutor in High School. He was adamant that the world's belief is changing enough to allow Atheism and Agnosticism to become religions, and I defined it exactly as you did DR.

If I were to change it to them being considered more cultural, would that be acceptable?

I rarely refer to the dictionary seeings as my spelling is near perfect, but I really should if only for definitions right?

Arachnoidfreak
The religion that makes the most sense to me?

Arachnoidfreakism. I am your Lord and Master. Bow down, minions! Bwahahaha

carnival_junkie
Atheism all the way.

Cipher
Atheism is the idea that there is no deity. Maybe people are being confused by the use of the word belief. Atheism is not a religion......

Darth Revan
Well, I hardly use a dictionary either, I think I was talking about this with somebody else and I wanted to look in the dictionary to see what the actual definition of the word was, or something... I really think the term "religion" when talking about a belief system is misleading, because there are so many "religions" that people have now which have nothing to do with a god. Well, not a lot, but enough that it's tough to deal with.

I don't understand the middle one...

carnival_junkie
Did I ever say it was?
I think not.

Turbo-Cajun
Arachnoidfreak - I always thought that you were more of a Beerist... I'm suprised.

finti
hmmmmmmmmmmm beer

Syren
roll eyes (sarcastic) Get serious people miffed

Goth_Girl
hmz this is my opinion no offence 2 any1 but i think that we need no religion.Why are we all searching for heroes and leaders for answers when we can just as easley work them out for ourselves.

Turbo-Cajun
That is what religion exists to do... prevent people from empowering themselves for change in any real sense. They may think that religion is improving their lifes and maybe it does because they think it does, in thier head, but in real life they endure endless amounts of crap that is made okay by the fact that there are voices in their heads. Governments have accepted religion because it gives people false hope in a better life, somewhere else. In this world they are content with crappy governments and unjust rule because they think there is a reward for them later down the road... when in all probablity there is none.

So yeah Goth Girl is right here, we dont really need religion. We need to go answer these questions, and instead of hoping for some magical kindgdom of god in heaven kind of thing we need to try make this world our paradise... our kingdom of paradise. Its not likely now... but who knows maybe people will wise up and try make this world beter instead of waiting for the next one.

I probably pissed some people off here... I'm sorry, but really not too sorry. You need to think about this too.

Goth_Girl
see there u go.ty m8.

Arachnoidfreak
I'm a Beerist on the weekends, but shooosh, that's strickly confidential.

Lord Soth
Technically, no. But then, the definition of religion should be changed to include all forms of belief. Except for these stupid ones like 'Beerism'.....sorry Arachnoid

MornGlory
Christianity makes the most sense - love my God

finti
beerism aint more or less stupid than any other forms of religions

Lord Soth
True...I should have taken that into consideration. laughing

Darth Revan
Most people grow out of their imaginary friends after the age of 10 or so erm

eleveninches
List of religions that make most sense to me (from most sensible to less sensible)

1.Atheism
2.Buddism

specific forms of atheism

3.Unitarianism
4.Secularism
5.Humanism
6.Rationalism
7.Postmodernism
8.Christian non-realism
9.Humanastic Judaism

finti
atheism aint a religion though smile

eleveninches
Well, its a religious belief, so its close enough

Cipher
Exactly.

finti
what atheism is a religious belief............how?

Cipher
My "exactly" was in response to finti's earlier post. Atheism isn't and can't be a religious belief because an atheist doesn't believe in the things that a religion is based on (supernatural stuff like deities).

finti
(my turn)
Exactly

Jedi Priestess
Catholism although there are parts of it that I dont agree with messed

eleveninches
I would be christian, but I dont believe in the whole God/Jeses/worship part of it.

Alpha Centauri
I don't believe Catholicism is anywhere near the most sensible.

Eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinate love.

Weird...

-AC

bonek182
I consider myself pagan though I don't follow many "traditional" styles as far as practicing it, however it is the religion that makes the most sense to me.

Turbo-Cajun
What part about that makes the most sense to you? And I am curious, I guess I dont know a whole lot about it. I dated a girl that was a Wiccan for a while... it seemed kinda weird to me a while ago, but that was a while ago. What do you guys believe?

Wolf Dog
I think I am agnostic. I wanna believe that there is something more after death like heaven but I'm just too skeptic. I want to look forward to something after death so I just believe that there is superior forces out there so im just looking forward to finding out about what it is after I die. I hope it has something to do with aliens. I don't know. I'm weird.

Dreampanther
I don't believe you guys...What is wrong with you?

There can be only one -ism and that is Rastafarianism! smokin'

One a more serious note, to quote the immortal Bill Hicks "I am an evolved, rational human being": I believe in myself...I believe I have the wisdom to know what is right and what is wrong, the courage to choose right, and the strength to carry out my decisions.

I am NOT saying there is no God. Nor am I saying there is. I am merely arguing, as I think someone said previously, more or less, that we should stop depending on others or hiding behind them or hoping that others will solve our problems, and start taking responsibilty for our own lives and our actions.

Turbo-Cajun
I agree entirely on both the part about rastafarianism, and the other stuff. I know what your saying man.

-Tc

neo313
taoism for me. i like the idea of opposite forces in the world working together to balance everything out

loprida
Islam. It is the only one that agrees with science. non Muslim historians agree that it is the most unchanged book in the world. It treats women as equals, even though the media doesn't show this. In the Quran it talks about how a baby is formed in the womb, how the earth is shaped, how mountains hav underying pegs, how the universe is expanding, it also has information about black holes etc. and v. early copies of the Quran r identical to the ones we have 2day...so not one word has been changed

loprida
n it contains all this scientific knowledge that people only found out about a few decades ago...e.g. the universe is expanding, the description of how a baby is formed indetail all proved to b correct by former non Muslim scientists hu hav decided to revert to Islam

finti
guess a lot of muslims seem to miss showing it too . Cause they surly missed that part about women being equal

Napalm
Christianty

Dwarfdude
Its called Interpretation, Finti, and fanaticism.

Most sense.....Buddism.

I know its not really a religion, but I think its philosophies are pretty good.

You never know everything, you can always learn, ect.

loprida
the unequal treatment of da women is due to the culture not da religion

frodo34x
Christianity, because it is the religion I believe in.

finti
killer argument

Ytaker
Did you know that till the mid twentieth century there was another version of the Quran in Africa? Anyway, to wrong scientific info

No one: There's the popular verses that talk of sperm being made into blood clot, then the blood clot being turned to bone, and the bones being clothed with flesh Koran 23:13-14. It claims that bones are formed and coved with flesh. However, any scientist who studies embryology would know that the flesh forms first, then the bones.

Next, how a baby is formed in the womb. They claim that the sperm is formed between the backbone and the ribs Koran 86:6-7. That would be the location of the Kidneys. Any nine years old who listened in class would know that sperm comes from the Testis (the family jewels). If a supreme being wrote it, surely such contradictions wouldn't be there?

Unless of course the fact that it's forth hand (From God to the angelangel, from the angel to Muhhamed, from M to his followers, then to Uthram) Ruined it. There is no reason to suppose that mistakes weren't made during this time, as Allah was impotent to stop the Injeel being corrupted, or the Torah.

Have you noticed that Allah said to the clouds "come willingly or unwillingly" and they said "we come willingly" Koran 41:11? Where is the brain between the pair of hydrogen atoms, and the single oxygen atom? Where is the mouth? Where is the telepathic receptor?

Equally goofy is the descriptions of the Sun. For instance, a man sees the setting place of the sun, setting in a pool of dirty water Koran 18:85-86. The Hadiths say that after the sun sets it prostrates itself under the throne of Allah before being allowed to rise again Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 421. The sun does not disappear; it does not need to ask permission to "rise", as it is always shinning on part of the earth. The average six year old knows more than they did. I'd say that was of Human origin.

When reading about animals one just finds it amusing. There is a man who can hear the speech of ants Koran 27:18-19 which is impossible as they communicate with chemical odour, not sound. When a snake enters your home, you must give it a verbal warning. If it enters a second time after your warning, you kill it. While it's whimsical enough to assume an animal will understand you, it is just silly to do it to a creature that cannot hear e.g. snakes. Sahih Bulhari Volume 5, Book 58, Number 18 says that monkeys stone another monkey because she committed adultery. How does one define adultery in the monkey world?

Finally, the reason why I dislike Muhammad (the author) so much.

I believe it's wrong that Muhammad married Aisha when she was six, and consummated that marriage at nine Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 8. Muslims would defend him by saying that it was normal at that time. Whilst this is true, and once a girl starts her menstrual cycle (nine-ten) she was wrongly considered a woman in ancient times, this is not the behaviour one should attribute to a prophet of God.

Secular west knows that a girl is far to young to have sex at nine. One wonders why Allah didn't realise this, having created humans. If he was alive today, civilised countries would imprison him for life, or have him executed. Such hadiths as the one where she cleans up his semen Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 4, Number 229-233 if written about a man in the modern day, would result in the authorities detaining him and would be used to secure a conviction.

frodo34x
I can think of more argument, its just ATM im stating my position.

DuronKiller
do you count germany as a civilised country?
you can get 5 years for software piracy here while most sexual offenders get away mostly with only 2 or 3 years... sick "because these maybe had a bad childhood" miffed erm

loprida
Did you know that till the mid twentieth century there was another version of the Quran in Africa? Anyway, to wrong scientific info

They may have mis translated the Quran, but they can't change the actual Arabic which means that the Quran does not change...unlike the Bible which has sooo many different versions, which nobody denies, but the Quran has remained the way it was sent down.

loprida
R u sum kind of scientist or sumthing....because the information in the Quran is approved by modern day scientists that's why sooo many of them have reverted to Islam

loprida
The Injeel n Torah were corrupted because there was a new book sent down to the last prophet...and it was a test to see if the believers of the Quran and Injeel wud believe in the new book....all around the world every Quran is the same....it is memorised all the time, so it stands free from corruption...i don't know where u got ur scientific information from but you should actually read the Quran, instead of some anti-Islam biased website

loprida
ABOUT THE EMBRIOLOGY IN THE Al' Quran:

Prof. Marshall Johnson is one of the leading scientists in US, and is the head of the Department of Anatomy and Director of the Daniel Institute at the Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia in US.

He was asked to comment on the verses of the QUR'AN dealing with embryology. He said that the verses of the QUR'AN describing the embryological stages cannot be a coincidence. He said it was probable that MUHAMMAD---sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam--- had a powerful microscope. On being reminded that the QUR'AN was revealed 1400 years ago, and microscopes were invented centuries after the time of PROPHET MUHAMMAD---sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam---, Prof. Johnson laughed and admitted that the first microscope invented could not magnify more than 10 times and could not show a clear picture. Later he said: "I see nothing here in conflict with the concept that Divine intervention was involved when MUHAMMAD---sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam--- recited the QUR'AN."

loprida
for a long time it was belived that the bones and flesh grew at the same time in the womb but it was later found out to be incorrect

loprida

loprida

loprida
"Have you not seen how God merges the night into the day and merges the day into the night?" (Qur'an 31:29).

loprida
oh yeh hav u ever heard a Muslim say 'what version of the Quran do u read?'...no cos there aren't any other versions...

frodo34x
*cough*

frodo34x
Yes there is. There are English translations

finti
the quran is just as much BS as the bible

doesnt change the fact that even muslims interpreter it differently though

loprida
the interpretations may only vary in the slightest bit e.g. they use different english words but they have the same meaning e.g. the words numerous and many mean the same thing...the actual words in Arabic has remained the same and the meanings in all the Qurans are the same

loprida
all the meanings are the same in whatever language of Quran you read

loprida
its not like in the Bible where the story has changed and bits cut out and other bits added in

Frosty Beverage
Christianity is the only religion that hasn't been proven wrong. Boom.

Frosty Beverage
Btw, i love this quote: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absense"

~Frodo34x

Frosty Beverage
The catholics took the bible and then made their own rules to their liking. Not being stereotypical, but catholics in general.

finti
so how can the jewish religion been proven wrong then, how is the muslim religion proven wrong
yet there are diffrent fractions of arabic speaking muslims and how they interpreter the quran

please add examples.

Bardock42
Of course the bible has been proven wrong, its just christians that adopt to that an d say oh that has not to be taken literally, and oh you know god is almighty he actually did it that way. Its stupid.

Afro Cheese
I think everyone would interpret the Quran differently.. I if mean two people can read the same novel and take it differently you know they can do so with religious writings.

MC Mike
Did anyone else notice the thread about why people hate Christians?

Bardock42
Yes I did posted in it
Here I am here I am notice me.

MC Mike
*Notices*

Bardock42
Yeah I got noticed.
Go Bardock, its your birthday ....

loprida
yeh rite.....islam has not been proven wrong but the bible has been corrupted sooo much that now it is wrong....hu told u that christianity is the only religion that hasn't been proved wrong?

loprida
even the catholics have stated that they don't kno where the Quran came from n they don't say that Muhammad s.w.t wrote it because they no that he was illiterate n cudn't rite it n he wudn't kno about science n how the universe is expanding etc.

loprida
the Bible now has many errors including many scientific errors

Loving_Daniel11
The one I was born into...Catholic.

finti
christianity then since catholicism is a branch of christianity

Ytaker
To make your post more powerful, it's normal to add examples. You might just be lying.

Ytaker
http://answering-islam.org.uk/Responses/It-is-truth/index.htm

Read the responses

You have put foward illogical statements based on, absolutely, no evidence. Retract them unless you can support them. If you can support them, fine.

Ytaker
http://www.evidenceofgod.com/answers/creation2.htm
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml

There are many such examples. A couple centuries ago, you could have said that, but in the modern day, now that we can see God's handiwork firsthand (We see it with a electron microscope) points to Christianity. We've been given a bad rep by stuff like Darwin, but inch-by-inch every pointer is being clawed back to us. You know that Christianity said that the world is flat? That idea is wrong. Since Aristotle, you couldn't enter a church school, college, etc, without knowing that the world is spherical, and even it's aprox circumference.

Put some info into your words to support them, if you want them to be taken seriously.

Ytaker
Just a quick note-

When I said you might be lying, I was pointing out that putting forward statements without any backing or obvious logic (like that stars are different) meant that I couldn't be sure that you were stating the truth. I wasn't acting you in person, just putting forward a possibility.

RavenNightstar
Wicca... Although I was born a Christian. Baptized, first communion, confirmation...
I don't believe any of it, because no one could ever give me a straight answer, and I never felt safe with God.

I can feel the Earth, feel it's energy, it's life... It gives to us everyday! And I can be truthful to it!

If a Christian says that God is cruel & hateful at times, their priest or minister will be shocked...

I know Mother Earth can be a b*@#h, and she is very vengeful, but she is also loving & giving.

That's just me!

Blessed be

loprida
hahaha u make me laugh....y don't u put sum evidence into your statements at least i can easily find qutoes from the Quran to prove that Islam agrees with science...u on the other hand put down sum stupid theories...btw...the Bible used to be correct, but now its been totally corrupted...the Ku Klux Klan based their ideologies on things in the Bible...cos the Bible has been corrupted by ppl

loprida
Here's sumthin for u to do...y don't u try n find a statement that agrees with science in the Bible....

loprida
not sum long essay about how it agrees with science

loprida
http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IN0405-2331

http://www.islamicity.com/Science/Baucaille.shtml

above is the link about a french surgeon n science in Islam n corruption in the Bible

loprida
the other one is about the shape of the universe

squalI
wow this is hard.

christianity makes my head hurt. enough said.

islam and mormons, while completely different, more or less came about from a single guy having some great vision, and well eh. there's a lot of reasons i disagree with mormonism, i'd say islam is the more credible of the two.

well i guess one of the things about chrisitianity is the whole idea that the new testament was put together 200 years after the crucifixion.. books were added or substracted based on the opinion of a council who were several generations detached from everything happening. and several of the books that could have been added like the gospel of thomas are absolutely ridiculous, so i'm all like wow you guys must be pretty awesome if you know which books are uber godly and which ones are evil. the whole religion requires that you put way more faith in that damn book than my intelligence allows me to.

i don't know as much about eastern beliefs as i would like, but i would probably lean towards buddhism.

or just say screw it, and go with agnostic.

Harryslover14
wicca
because it believes in the power of the earth and connects one soul to the earth and all of its creatures
oh blessed be the one who created the earth and all its life oh blessed be

debbiejo
I'd like to know a few myself.

My religion is Bible scripture.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.